What are the religious inclinations of the top wta players? - Page 9 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Feb 9th, 2013, 04:00 PM   #121
country flag Monzanator
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What are the religious inclinations of the top wta players?

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchie View Post
I always hate when Serena thanks "her God Jehovah" after winning a tournament.

Keep it private, girl!!
Isn't like spreading the word in the open an official way of Jehova Witnesses? I swear this is the most public-oriented religion in the world apart from Islam. Keeping your Jehova beliefs in private is kinda against the pattern so no wonder Serena thanks her God every now and again

btw, Sharapova is definitely Eastern Orthodox as visibly indicated by the cross she's wearing. This is not a Latin cross which is far more common among Catholics.

TT: Winner - (Singles) Tashkent 2012; (Doubles) - (w/Broseghini) Cuneo 100k '10; (w/Peek-A-Boo) Contrexeville 50k '10; (w/JustPetko) Bucharest 75k '10, Nantes 50k '10, Marbella '11, Washington '11, Linz '11, Istanbul YEC '11, Opole 25K '11, Pattaya City '12, Tashkent '12, Pune 125k '12, Memphis '13, Carlsbad '13, Marrakech '14, Washington '14
Monzanator is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Feb 9th, 2013, 04:37 PM   #122
country flag Start da Game

Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute

pirru GOAT once said that her religion is wimbledon......

enlighten yourself...
Start da Game is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9th, 2013, 04:44 PM   #123
country flag The Dawntreader
La Divina Assoluta

The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute

Niculescu should be an atheist based on her game alone.
The Dawntreader is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9th, 2013, 05:17 PM   #124
country flag *JR*

*JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by égalité View Post

Surprised no one has mentioned the incredible vanishing Patty "Carmen Sandiego" Schnyder and her orange juice cult in this thread.
I don't think religious views (even alternative ones, like those of Scientology) were ever a part of this Suisse Saga. And I don't just mean with Herr Hofmann (aka Rainer II, the real "Carmen Sandiego" type character here) but even with Herr Harnecker. AFAIK, said "Rainer I" claimed 2B a great holistic healer (including of cancer) and motivator, but never said he was a messenger of Jesus, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melange View Post

A lot of them are from countries where you can disappear for saying the wrong thing so this is a pointless question
But many don't need to fear such repression. The main reasons they generally avoid politics are probably not to risk pissing off sponsors, and because (even if personally on the left) they don't want to pay for than the least taxes possible.

Among former players, Martina I has been a fairly active Democrat re. American politics, and Marissa Irvin went to work as an intern in the (George W Bush) White House after her retirement.

============================================

Last edited by *JR* : Feb 9th, 2013 at 05:46 PM.
*JR* is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9th, 2013, 06:14 PM   #125
country flag BH both wings

BH both wings has a brilliant future BH both wings has a brilliant future BH both wings has a brilliant future BH both wings has a brilliant future BH both wings has a brilliant future BH both wings has a brilliant future BH both wings has a brilliant future BH both wings has a brilliant future BH both wings has a brilliant future BH both wings has a brilliant future BH both wings has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroSumGame View Post
Why are you driving ppl to worship underground? This isn't 14th Century Medieval times, players have every right to publicly thank a greater good for blessing them with gifts of life, it's not like they're worshiping satan in front of millions.
Hey, leave the poor Satanists alone, will you? Not only do you deny them their right to worship their god in public, you rub in their faces that the greater evil that cheated and defeated their god now can, and by your word, _should_ be worshipped.

Could you please stop dishing out double standards and become a little more open minded about public display of religiousity?
BH both wings is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10th, 2013, 05:33 PM   #126
country flag VikingTennisFan

VikingTennisFan is a glorious beacon of light VikingTennisFan is a glorious beacon of light VikingTennisFan is a glorious beacon of light VikingTennisFan is a glorious beacon of light VikingTennisFan is a glorious beacon of light VikingTennisFan is a glorious beacon of light VikingTennisFan is a glorious beacon of light VikingTennisFan is a glorious beacon of light VikingTennisFan is a glorious beacon of light VikingTennisFan is a glorious beacon of light VikingTennisFan is a glorious beacon of light

I don't necessarily think you can judge someone's religion by what cross they wear if any. Maybe Sharapova's cross is a personal item that's been in the family for a long time, or a personal gift or something.

Also if some people say they're 'catholic' it can mean a whole range of things. I would personally have called myself a catholic up until a few years ago even though I haven't believed in God (or anything supernatural) for many many years, simply because I was brought up that way and it was the 'easy' answer to give if anyone asked.

Now that I've thought about it more carefully I wouldn't call myself a catholic anymore.

But if you're 23 or something and have spent almost all your life playing tennis you're going to say you have your parent's religion even if you don't believe/practice to any extent simply because you haven't considered otherwise.

I'm not saying this is wrong, you can call yourself what you like as far as I'm concerned, but we just shouldn't draw any conclusions as to what they actually believe or what influence that may have over their life or their tennis.

And finally it's largely none of our business, unless players chose to make it so.
VikingTennisFan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10th, 2013, 05:43 PM   #127
country flag Craig.
MA5HA

Craig. has a reputation beyond repute Craig. has a reputation beyond repute Craig. has a reputation beyond repute Craig. has a reputation beyond repute Craig. has a reputation beyond repute Craig. has a reputation beyond repute Craig. has a reputation beyond repute Craig. has a reputation beyond repute Craig. has a reputation beyond repute Craig. has a reputation beyond repute Craig. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dawntreader View Post
OMG
Craig. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10th, 2013, 07:37 PM   #128
country flag Monzanator
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikingTennisFan View Post
I don't necessarily think you can judge someone's religion by what cross they wear if any. Maybe Sharapova's cross is a personal item that's been in the family for a long time, or a personal gift or something.

Also if some people say they're 'catholic' it can mean a whole range of things. I would personally have called myself a catholic up until a few years ago even though I haven't believed in God (or anything supernatural) for many many years, simply because I was brought up that way and it was the 'easy' answer to give if anyone asked.

Now that I've thought about it more carefully I wouldn't call myself a catholic anymore.

But if you're 23 or something and have spent almost all your life playing tennis you're going to say you have your parent's religion even if you don't believe/practice to any extent simply because you haven't considered otherwise.

I'm not saying this is wrong, you can call yourself what you like as far as I'm concerned, but we just shouldn't draw any conclusions as to what they actually believe or what influence that may have over their life or their tennis.

And finally it's largely none of our business, unless players chose to make it so.
You're making this FAR more complicated than neccessary, sir But religion has always been more sensitive topic in UK than just about anywhere else in Europe with probably the exception of Holland. Sharapova wears her cross necklace for years and there's no point in second-guessing her religion which is obviously Eastern Orthodox as confirmed elsewhere too I've read a story few years back that a flight attendant was fired from British Airways for wearing a Latin cross under her uniform and it's probably good Sharapova earns her money playing tennis cause she wouldn't have even got a job in British Airways with her wearing that cross all the time
TT: Winner - (Singles) Tashkent 2012; (Doubles) - (w/Broseghini) Cuneo 100k '10; (w/Peek-A-Boo) Contrexeville 50k '10; (w/JustPetko) Bucharest 75k '10, Nantes 50k '10, Marbella '11, Washington '11, Linz '11, Istanbul YEC '11, Opole 25K '11, Pattaya City '12, Tashkent '12, Pune 125k '12, Memphis '13, Carlsbad '13, Marrakech '14, Washington '14
Monzanator is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10th, 2013, 08:46 PM   #129
WowWow
mhmmm

WowWow has a reputation beyond repute WowWow has a reputation beyond repute WowWow has a reputation beyond repute WowWow has a reputation beyond repute WowWow has a reputation beyond repute WowWow has a reputation beyond repute WowWow has a reputation beyond repute WowWow has a reputation beyond repute WowWow has a reputation beyond repute WowWow has a reputation beyond repute WowWow has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vartan View Post
Sharapova would be a conservative.
Petkovic would be a liberal.
GOProud.
Old Feb 10th, 2013, 10:02 PM   #130
country flag Caesar1844

Caesar1844 has much to be proud of Caesar1844 has much to be proud of Caesar1844 has much to be proud of Caesar1844 has much to be proud of Caesar1844 has much to be proud of Caesar1844 has much to be proud of Caesar1844 has much to be proud of Caesar1844 has much to be proud of Caesar1844 has much to be proud of Caesar1844 has much to be proud of Caesar1844 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monzanator View Post
Isn't like spreading the word in the open an official way of Jehova Witnesses? I swear this is the most public-oriented religion in the world apart from Islam. Keeping your Jehova beliefs in private is kinda against the pattern so no wonder Serena thanks her God every now and again
Yeah, its a common part of the religion so nobody should be surprised about it. If I were her I'd keep it under wraps though. I knock off a few IQ points whenever I find out someone is religious, but moronic cults like JWs earn double digits.

I don't think any players are particularly devout. Playing tennis tournaments and travelling around the world constantly makes it a bit difficult to make it to Church every Sunday for starters. Being professional athletes who need a specific diet I am sure that a lot of the Hindus, Muslims, Jews etc. eat foods that aren't on their prescribed lists and aren't too fussy about things like kosher/halal preparation.

I dare say that players from more religious countries pretend to be more religious than they are in order to help their public image. Sania Mirza has publically said a few times that she opposes sex before marriage to placate Muslim groups, but she's been a public speaker at safe sex seminars and I am willing to bet she wasn't a virgin when she and Shoaib Malik tied the knot.

If I was cynical I would say that Sharapova's Orthodox Cross is part of her brand. She's put a lot of effort into ensuring that her status as a sex symbol has remained on the classy end of the spectrum. In Russia, respecting religion is often the mark of a 'good' girl. The cross emphasises that - this girl might be amazingly sexy, but she's still the girl you could bring home to your family.

Last edited by Caesar1844 : Feb 10th, 2013 at 10:07 PM.
Caesar1844 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10th, 2013, 10:15 PM   #131
Richie's

Richie's has a reputation beyond repute Richie's has a reputation beyond repute Richie's has a reputation beyond repute Richie's has a reputation beyond repute Richie's has a reputation beyond repute Richie's has a reputation beyond repute Richie's has a reputation beyond repute Richie's has a reputation beyond repute Richie's has a reputation beyond repute Richie's has a reputation beyond repute Richie's has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dawntreader View Post
The best thing I've read in a while!
Richie's is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10th, 2013, 10:44 PM   #132
country flag Qrystyna

Qrystyna has a reputation beyond repute Qrystyna has a reputation beyond repute Qrystyna has a reputation beyond repute Qrystyna has a reputation beyond repute Qrystyna has a reputation beyond repute Qrystyna has a reputation beyond repute Qrystyna has a reputation beyond repute Qrystyna has a reputation beyond repute Qrystyna has a reputation beyond repute Qrystyna has a reputation beyond repute Qrystyna has a reputation beyond repute

I'm pretty sure that Melanie Oudin is a Christian - probably Southern Baptist.

And since Chanelle Scheepers grew up as an Afrikaans girl in the Free State, she was probably raised in the Dutch Reformed (Calvinist) church. I would imagine she is like most Afrikaners - devout to a certain degree. But many young people in SA these days are starting to join these new hippie dippie "new age" churches that have begun popping up in the cities... so who knows.
Qrystyna is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10th, 2013, 11:08 PM   #133
country flag crystal ball

crystal ball has much to be proud of crystal ball has much to be proud of crystal ball has much to be proud of crystal ball has much to be proud of crystal ball has much to be proud of crystal ball has much to be proud of crystal ball has much to be proud of crystal ball has much to be proud of crystal ball has much to be proud of crystal ball has much to be proud of crystal ball has much to be proud of

Aaaanyway...

Back to topic.
I've heard that Sara Errani is Jewish, but I don't know if she's religious.
crystal ball is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10th, 2013, 11:11 PM   #134
country flag Joana

Joana has a reputation beyond repute Joana has a reputation beyond repute Joana has a reputation beyond repute Joana has a reputation beyond repute Joana has a reputation beyond repute Joana has a reputation beyond repute Joana has a reputation beyond repute Joana has a reputation beyond repute Joana has a reputation beyond repute Joana has a reputation beyond repute Joana has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesar1844 View Post
If I was cynical I would say that Sharapova's Orthodox Cross is part of her brand. She's put a lot of effort into ensuring that her status as a sex symbol has remained on the classy end of the spectrum. In Russia, respecting religion is often the mark of a 'good' girl. The cross emphasises that - this girl might be amazingly sexy, but she's still the girl you could bring home to your family.
I know lots of women who wear (Orthodox) cross even though they're not really religious and definitely without the intention to send a message of some sort. Quite often it really is little more than a simple fashion item.
Joana is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10th, 2013, 11:42 PM   #135
country flag King Halep
♥ Si Si Simona Si Si Si

King Halep has a reputation beyond repute King Halep has a reputation beyond repute King Halep has a reputation beyond repute King Halep has a reputation beyond repute King Halep has a reputation beyond repute King Halep has a reputation beyond repute King Halep has a reputation beyond repute King Halep has a reputation beyond repute King Halep has a reputation beyond repute King Halep has a reputation beyond repute King Halep has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joana View Post
I know lots of women who wear (Orthodox) cross even though they're not really religious and definitely without the intention to send a message of some sort. Quite often it really is little more than a simple fashion item.
Dont distract them with facts. They are having their nice philosophical discussion with their funny opinions
King Halep is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote