What are the religious inclinations of the top wta players? - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 03:59 AM   #1
country flag nsquare

nsquare is a name known to all nsquare is a name known to all nsquare is a name known to all nsquare is a name known to all nsquare is a name known to all nsquare is a name known to all nsquare is a name known to all nsquare is a name known to all nsquare is a name known to all nsquare is a name known to all nsquare is a name known to all
What are the religious inclinations of the top wta players?

Do u guys know about the religious inclinations of the top wta players?I have heard that mary is a devout Christian and sania is a pious Muslim but what about the others?Which religion does they believe in? How many of them are deeply religious,which of them hav a casual attitude towards religion,are any of them fundamentalists and are any of them athiests?
if u think that this thread is unnecessary, i am really sorry
Also supporting:elena dementieva sania mirzasikha uberoi daniela hantuchova venus williams marion bartoli
in my heart forever mary pierce
JAGAN
nsquare is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 04:02 AM   #2
country flag austennis

austennis has a brilliant future austennis has a brilliant future austennis has a brilliant future austennis has a brilliant future austennis has a brilliant future austennis has a brilliant future austennis has a brilliant future austennis has a brilliant future austennis has a brilliant future austennis has a brilliant future austennis has a brilliant future
Re: What are the religious inclinations of the top wta players?

Its interesting and all i can really tell you is that Dinara Safina is a muslim.. because there was talk of her struggling during ramadan last year..
Kimmy Clijsters
Martina Hingis
Jarmila Groth
Sharapova Dokic Wozniacki Delaqua Molik Kirilenko Dementieva Na Dani Kvitova
austennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 04:08 AM   #3
country flag Paneru

Paneru has a reputation beyond repute Paneru has a reputation beyond repute Paneru has a reputation beyond repute Paneru has a reputation beyond repute Paneru has a reputation beyond repute Paneru has a reputation beyond repute Paneru has a reputation beyond repute Paneru has a reputation beyond repute Paneru has a reputation beyond repute Paneru has a reputation beyond repute Paneru has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsquare View Post
How many of them are deeply religious,which of them hav a casual attitude towards religion,are any of them fundamentalists and are any of them athiests?
None of us here can answer such a question.
You have to ask the players themselves.
Paneru is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 04:10 AM   #4
country flag drake3781

drake3781 has a reputation beyond repute drake3781 has a reputation beyond repute drake3781 has a reputation beyond repute drake3781 has a reputation beyond repute drake3781 has a reputation beyond repute drake3781 has a reputation beyond repute drake3781 has a reputation beyond repute drake3781 has a reputation beyond repute drake3781 has a reputation beyond repute drake3781 has a reputation beyond repute drake3781 has a reputation beyond repute

I think Mary Pierce is a devout Christian.

I've heard that Safina is not really religious, Muslim family.

Same with the Williams sisters, Jehovah's Witnesses by family but not practicing.

(Am I right about all that?)
drake3781 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 04:10 AM   #5
country flag drake3781

drake3781 has a reputation beyond repute drake3781 has a reputation beyond repute drake3781 has a reputation beyond repute drake3781 has a reputation beyond repute drake3781 has a reputation beyond repute drake3781 has a reputation beyond repute drake3781 has a reputation beyond repute drake3781 has a reputation beyond repute drake3781 has a reputation beyond repute drake3781 has a reputation beyond repute drake3781 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paneru View Post
None of us here can answer such a question.
You have to ask the players themselves.
Many of them have spoken about their religion at one time or another.
drake3781 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 04:47 AM   #6
barmaid

barmaid has a brilliant future barmaid has a brilliant future barmaid has a brilliant future barmaid has a brilliant future barmaid has a brilliant future barmaid has a brilliant future barmaid has a brilliant future barmaid has a brilliant future barmaid has a brilliant future barmaid has a brilliant future barmaid has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by drake3781 View Post
Many of them have spoken about their religion at one time or another.
Serena in her acceptance speech at AO this year thanked "Jehovah her God for the victory"!!

barmaid
barmaid is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 04:58 AM   #7
country flag nsquare

nsquare is a name known to all nsquare is a name known to all nsquare is a name known to all nsquare is a name known to all nsquare is a name known to all nsquare is a name known to all nsquare is a name known to all nsquare is a name known to all nsquare is a name known to all nsquare is a name known to all nsquare is a name known to all

Maria very often wears a cross.Is she a devout Christian?What about juju and momo?Are there any players who regularly pray on court?I mean , there are many soccer players who make the sign of the cross, or kneel down after they have scored a goal.So are there any wta players who regularly thank God after match victories?Is anabel medina a muslim or a christian?Are nadia and kuzzie nonbelievers?I think that religion still plays a very important role in our 21st century world so there is no harm in talking about the religious interests of top players.
Also supporting:elena dementieva sania mirzasikha uberoi daniela hantuchova venus williams marion bartoli
in my heart forever mary pierce
JAGAN
nsquare is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 05:14 AM   #8
country flag DutchieGirl
On tour

DutchieGirl has a reputation beyond repute DutchieGirl has a reputation beyond repute DutchieGirl has a reputation beyond repute DutchieGirl has a reputation beyond repute DutchieGirl has a reputation beyond repute DutchieGirl has a reputation beyond repute DutchieGirl has a reputation beyond repute DutchieGirl has a reputation beyond repute DutchieGirl has a reputation beyond repute DutchieGirl has a reputation beyond repute DutchieGirl has a reputation beyond repute

Does it matter what religion they are? Not everyone believes in a religion these days...

She & Him @ Melkweg "The Max", Amsterdam 6th May 2010
DutchieGirl is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 05:27 AM   #9
country flag hwanmig

hwanmig has much to be proud of hwanmig has much to be proud of hwanmig has much to be proud of hwanmig has much to be proud of hwanmig has much to be proud of hwanmig has much to be proud of hwanmig has much to be proud of hwanmig has much to be proud of hwanmig has much to be proud of hwanmig has much to be proud of hwanmig has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchieGirl View Post
Does it matter what religion they are? Not everyone believes in a religion these days...
I guess we share the same belief or lack of .

But to answer the question I believe Amelie does not have one. Elena does not look like the religious type so is Sveta. I think Myskina has a religion or maybe that cross she sometimes wear is for show. Francesca I believe is Catholic just like any ordinary Italian woman.

Ана
Света

Елена

hwanmig is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 05:34 AM   #10
country flag antonella

antonella has a reputation beyond repute antonella has a reputation beyond repute antonella has a reputation beyond repute antonella has a reputation beyond repute antonella has a reputation beyond repute antonella has a reputation beyond repute antonella has a reputation beyond repute antonella has a reputation beyond repute antonella has a reputation beyond repute antonella has a reputation beyond repute antonella has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwanmig View Post
Elena does not look like the religious type
Out of mild curiosity, what exactly does 'the religious type' look like??
antonella is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 05:44 AM   #11
country flag DutchieGirl
On tour

DutchieGirl has a reputation beyond repute DutchieGirl has a reputation beyond repute DutchieGirl has a reputation beyond repute DutchieGirl has a reputation beyond repute DutchieGirl has a reputation beyond repute DutchieGirl has a reputation beyond repute DutchieGirl has a reputation beyond repute DutchieGirl has a reputation beyond repute DutchieGirl has a reputation beyond repute DutchieGirl has a reputation beyond repute DutchieGirl has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwanmig View Post
I guess we share the same belief or lack of .

But to answer the question I believe Amelie does not have one. Elena does not look like the religious type so is Sveta. I think Myskina has a religion or maybe that cross she sometimes wear is for show. Francesca I believe is Catholic just like any ordinary Italian woman.
How can we SHARE something if some believe and some dont?

She & Him @ Melkweg "The Max", Amsterdam 6th May 2010
DutchieGirl is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 05:58 AM   #12
country flag starin

starin has a reputation beyond repute starin has a reputation beyond repute starin has a reputation beyond repute starin has a reputation beyond repute starin has a reputation beyond repute starin has a reputation beyond repute starin has a reputation beyond repute starin has a reputation beyond repute starin has a reputation beyond repute starin has a reputation beyond repute starin has a reputation beyond repute

I've wondered about V&S. I know that they are jehovah's witnesses but I'm not sure how devout they are in terms of how closely they follow the rules of a Jehovah's witness. I thought Jehovah's witness were not allowed to have surgery or drink. And i'm pretty sure the WS have done both. But I could be wrong. Just curious.
starin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 06:05 AM   #13
country flag Talula

Talula has a reputation beyond repute Talula has a reputation beyond repute Talula has a reputation beyond repute Talula has a reputation beyond repute Talula has a reputation beyond repute Talula has a reputation beyond repute Talula has a reputation beyond repute Talula has a reputation beyond repute Talula has a reputation beyond repute Talula has a reputation beyond repute Talula has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by barmaid View Post
Serena in her acceptance speech at AO this year thanked "Jehovah her God for the victory"!!

barmaid
I prefer the Serena that shakes her booty and dates married men.
Talula is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 06:17 AM   #14
Volcana

Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute

It's odd. In American basketball and football, you hear players thanking 'My lord and saviour Jesus Christ' in every other interview. In golf, tennis, baseball, and hockey, you rarely hear that.

I almost want to remove American football from the equation, because it's both violent and personal. (Running into a brick wall at 300 kph is violent, but it isn't personal. The wall doesn't care.)

I have no idea what the religious affiliations of the players are. Europe, taken as a whole, is reputed, in America, to be much more secular than the USA. Since tennis is dominated by Europeans, maybe that's why we don't hear more about religion. But American players don't make much mention of it either.
Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 06:19 AM   #15
country flag Bruno71

Bruno71 has disabled reputation

I'm fairly certain that Shahar Peer is Jewish . Whether she's devout or not I don't know.
Bruno71 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote