Sabina Simmonds - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Feb 24th, 2007, 02:35 PM   #1
country flag grassie

grassie is an unknown quantity at this point
Sabina Simmonds

Does anyone remember Sabina Simmonds?

She was an Italian player, who was around in the late 70's/early 80's, who was of English origin (her mother was English) but was Italian. She used to play every year at Eastbourne and Wimbledon? She never made it that big, tho' was most improved player one year in the early 80's. She must be about 46 now.

I really would love to hear anyone with news of her, of their memories of her, or anything really. Have been trying to find any information on her, what she might be doing now etc. and hope someone might be able to help me.

Hope someone can help.

Thank you
grassie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Feb 26th, 2007, 07:39 AM   #2
country flag Jakeev

Jakeev has a reputation beyond repute Jakeev has a reputation beyond repute Jakeev has a reputation beyond repute Jakeev has a reputation beyond repute Jakeev has a reputation beyond repute Jakeev has a reputation beyond repute Jakeev has a reputation beyond repute Jakeev has a reputation beyond repute Jakeev has a reputation beyond repute Jakeev has a reputation beyond repute Jakeev has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Sabina Simmonds

Her best year was in 1982 when she got to two WTA semis and got to 31 in the world. She did well in Challenger events and won 1 event.

One interesting thing about her is that Sabina had few first round defeats in tournaments for a player of her calibur. She often got to the second round of tournaments but always seemed not to be able to put more than two matches together in every event she entered.
Jakeev is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26th, 2007, 01:09 PM   #3
Jem

Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future

Hey, there! Yes, I remember Sabinna fairly well. I actually saw her play in Atlanta once and was surprised to find that she attacked the net fairly well. You know the stereotype of Italian players in the 70s/80s. Sabinna hit a fairly hard ball and came to the net quite often. She had a lot of flair in her game. I thought she might have actually cracked the top 30 one year, but maybe not. She made it to the third round of a few grand slam tournaments, lost to Goolagong at the U.S. Open one year and a heartbreaker to Ruzici at Wimbledon another year. All in all, it was a yeoman's work for Simmonds.
Jem is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27th, 2007, 11:00 PM   #4
country flag raquel

raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute

It looks like she did make the top 30, Jem This Italian article from 2005 talks about Pennetta making the top 30 for first time and lists the other Italian's who made top 30 and looks like Simmonds did make it to 26 - http://www.solki.it/modules.php?name...ticle&sid=5260

Here's a picture of her on a magazine cover on eBay

That magazine can still be bought on eBay until 1st March - http://cgi.ebay.com/Tennis-Matchball...QQcmdZViewItem

Another picture from 1976 (according to eBay)

raquel is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28th, 2007, 07:04 AM   #5
country flag grassie

Thanks everyone for your replies, really lovely to hear from you all.

But does anyone know what Sabina is doing now, and where she is? I'd love to make contact with her, just tell her that she's still remembered after all these years.

Hope someone can help.

Thank you
Old Feb 28th, 2007, 10:31 AM   #6
country flag Giuseppe Gazerro

Giuseppe Gazerro is a name known to all Giuseppe Gazerro is a name known to all Giuseppe Gazerro is a name known to all Giuseppe Gazerro is a name known to all Giuseppe Gazerro is a name known to all Giuseppe Gazerro is a name known to all Giuseppe Gazerro is a name known to all Giuseppe Gazerro is a name known to all Giuseppe Gazerro is a name known to all Giuseppe Gazerro is a name known to all Giuseppe Gazerro is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassie View Post
But does anyone know what Sabina is doing now, and where she is? I'd love to make contact with her, just tell her that she's still remembered after all these years.
Hello everyone.
She's apparently teaching in summer camps.
They talk about her in tennis forums like this here:
http://www.bottegatennis.it/forum_/t...tle=CLUB+HOUSE

She's remained in the tennis world, as most of former tennis players do, actually.
The only one who literally disappeared remains *my* Francesca Bentivoglio.

Oh, and I obvioulsy remember her; she was our *big hope* in the seventies, after Pericoli and before Reggi.
But she was another (semi) flop.

Back in the seventies two among our best players were non-italian guys, Sabina Simmonds and Martin Mulligan, a naturalized Australian.
Funny, wasn't it?
Giuseppe Gazerro is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28th, 2007, 06:44 PM   #7
country flag grassie

Giuseppe,

Thank you for your reply, was really kind of you to write back.

However, do you know what summer camps Sabina might be in? Would you be able to try and find out for me, or maybe point me in the right direction? I do hope you can help me.

I tried that web site you gave the link to, but it is all in Italian and I am unable to speak any Italian. You couldn't translate it for me could you?

Thank you again for all your help.
Old Feb 28th, 2007, 07:35 PM   #8

Giuseppe Gazerro is a name known to all Giuseppe Gazerro is a name known to all Giuseppe Gazerro is a name known to all Giuseppe Gazerro is a name known to all Giuseppe Gazerro is a name known to all Giuseppe Gazerro is a name known to all Giuseppe Gazerro is a name known to all Giuseppe Gazerro is a name known to all Giuseppe Gazerro is a name known to all Giuseppe Gazerro is a name known to all Giuseppe Gazerro is a name known to all

Quote:
Giuseppe,

Thank you for your reply, was really kind of you to write back.

However, do you know what summer camps Sabina might be in? Would you be able to try and find out for me, or maybe point me in the right direction? I do hope you can help me.

I tried that web site you gave the link to, but it is all in Italian and I am unable to speak any Italian. You couldn't translate it for me could you?

Thank you again for all your help.
Ok, this is what I get:
one of the posters asked *where can I play tennis this summer?*
And another replied this:
Potresti prendere in considerazione anche Sanremo, secondo me. Nel circolo che io frequento insegnano Ugo Pigato (ex n° 16 d'Italia) e la più famosa Sabina Simmonds (è stata n° 26 al mondo), entrambi insegnanti di alto livello. Sono qui tutta l'estate
Which, approximately, is the equivalent of:
I think you might want to consider Sanremo, too.
The club I attend boasts the presence of Ugo Pigato (former n.16 in Italy) and Sabina Simmonds (she reached the 26th world spot!); they are bith high profile teachers and they work here all summer long

So we now know Sabina Simmonds teaches tennis in Sanremo, Italy.
How to reach her should not be that difficult, in my opinion, searching phone directories and//or Google maps.
Should you need further help, just let me know.
Old Mar 1st, 2007, 06:38 PM   #9
country flag grassie

Giuseppe,

I need your help. I've looked on the internet for tennis clubs in San Remo but don't seem to be having any luck finding anything on Sabina Simmonds. I've also tried to email the Bob Brett tennis club there but I can't seem to access their site.

As for searching the telephone directories, everything is in Italian and I don't speak any. Also, Sabina may be married now and have a different surname, so don't know where to start looking.

If you can help in any way I would be most grateful. If not, then thats ok too. I'm really grateful for all the help you have already given me. You're really kind.

I will not give up trying. I will try and find out where she is now, but its proving really difficult.
Old Mar 1st, 2007, 10:47 PM   #10

Quote:
Giuseppe,
I need your help.
I will not give up trying. I will try and find out where she is now, but its proving really difficult.
Yes, it seems more difficult than I thought, as a matter of fact.
There's no link online to any *sanremo tennis club* mentioning Sabina as one of their teachers.
That would be quite strange If she really works there.
Unless the info given by the guy in the forum is incorrect.

Anyway, what I did is this; I've just sent email to all tennis clubs I found in the yelloew pages plus a couple of private mails to people I found online googling *sanremo tennis club* who seem to be interested in sanremo.
Should they answer, I'll let you know immediately.

If nothing happens, I'll try to contact the person from the chat, even itf that is the last resort I'd try, given the amount of trolls and weird people posting there.
But sooner or later we'll get in touch with her or at least we'll get to know if she really works in Sanremo.
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 06:35 AM   #11
country flag grassie

Giuseppe,

I can't thank you enough for all your kind help. You have been brilliant.

I think I have found something though. I sent a few emails and someone replied and said that Sabina is working at the Solaro Sport and Vita Club in San Remo.

If this is correct then I have at last found her. We shall have to wait and see. I have sent an email to the Solaro club asking if she is still working there. If so, then I have succeeded in finding her. I will let you know.

Do let me know if you hear anything.

Thank you again Giuseppe. If you were in London I'd buy you a drink for all your help.

Kind regards,
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 07:32 AM   #12

Quote:
Thank you again Giuseppe. If you were in London I'd buy you a drink for all your help.
You nailed it, friend!
I've been in London one month a year for the last 25 years, since my job is teaching English to italian students.
So each and every summer (sometimes Easter, too) I take people to London.

Now I reckon I've earned a double beer next August, eh?

The last 2 years we stayed here:
http://www.hampstead-english.ac.uk/location.shtml
I'll be very glad to meet you there.

In the meantime we'll stay in touch for this Sabina affair.
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 06:02 PM   #13
country flag grassie

Giuseppe,

Lets stay in touch. You've been so great and its been nice getting to talk to you.

I don't live in London but I try and go down every year. Lets hope, if I go down in August, I can buy you that beer.

Keep in touch and let me know if you hear anything about Sabina. I haven't as yet.

Kind regards
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 08:03 PM   #14

Quote:
Giuseppe,

Lets stay in touch. You've been so great and its been nice getting to talk to you.

I don't live in London but I try and go down every year. Lets hope, if I go down in August, I can buy you that beer.

Keep in touch and let me know if you hear anything about Sabina. I haven't as yet.

Kind regards
Yes, let's stay in touch.
I'll post anything I'll get to know about her, of course.
Old Mar 8th, 2007, 08:29 PM   #15

Ok, I found her.
She has just answered me:
sono Sabina Simmonds lavoro presso il ct sanremo per ulteriori informazioni sono a vostra disposizione
distinti saluti
sabina
I'm Sabina Simmonds; I actually work at Sanremo CT (tennis club???).
I'm available for further information.
Your faithfully
Sabina

Just let me know if you want to keep the conversation going on your own or if you still want my help.
(Sabina is bilingual, too, if my memory serves me well, so......)
As far as her mail is concerned, I don't know if it's appropriate to post it here, so mail me if you want it.
(even though it's not her private mail, I suppose, but more likey the club's one)

I'm happy I've been helpful.