Miriam's match (report) - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 10:49 PM   #1
tim4

tim4 has much to be proud of tim4 has much to be proud of tim4 has much to be proud of tim4 has much to be proud of tim4 has much to be proud of tim4 has much to be proud of tim4 has much to be proud of tim4 has much to be proud of tim4 has much to be proud of tim4 has much to be proud of tim4 has much to be proud of
Miriam's match (report)

Miriam Oremans v Alexandra Fusai (q) - First round

I noticed that Miriam had tape around one of her thighs - hopefully just as a precaution... Miriam won the toss, and, as I expected, chose to serve first. But she lost her opening serve, her volleys were regularly missing when she came into the net, and before long she was 1-3 down. A few line-calls seemed to go against her, some of which looked like aces on her service. But then Alexandra Fusai began to miss a few, and Miriam suddenly improved and played with confidence and success, breaking back to level at 3-3. Miriam retained the upper hand for the rest of the set to win it 6-3 after a further break of serve, and was almost immediately 0-40 up on Alex's serve in the first game of the second set - I thought it was "one-way traffic" now. But in the end Alex saved that game, and Miriam lost her own serve so was soon 0-3 down in the second set. After that, though, Miriam only made a few errors, and only lost one more game, so I'm pleased to say she won the match 6-3, 6-4.

Next up will be Meghann Shaughnessy, and I have to be honest and say I wouldn't expect Miriam to win - let's hope I'm proved wrong. If she does lose in the second round, then that may be her last ever singles match on the Tour. I should be able to watch her match on Wednesday unless she happens to be scheduled as first match on that day. I missed my chance to ask Boogie (who I saw was watching and supporting Miriam) during today's match whether Miriam really is going to retire, after what I read on the Board (from Sandra et al) over the weekend, or whether Miriam will be available to play in the Fed Cup tie v Australia next month.
tim4 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 10:51 PM   #2
tim4

tim4 has much to be proud of tim4 has much to be proud of tim4 has much to be proud of tim4 has much to be proud of tim4 has much to be proud of tim4 has much to be proud of tim4 has much to be proud of tim4 has much to be proud of tim4 has much to be proud of tim4 has much to be proud of tim4 has much to be proud of
btw, it wasn't too painful to watch even though she went an early break down in both sets. She played well after the first four games of each set. Good luck against Meghann!!!
tim4 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25th, 2002, 01:27 AM   #3
gzimman

gzimman is just really nice gzimman is just really nice gzimman is just really nice gzimman is just really nice gzimman is just really nice gzimman is just really nice gzimman is just really nice gzimman is just really nice gzimman is just really nice gzimman is just really nice gzimman is just really nice
Thank you very much, tim4, for your report.

Although a win produces joy in many, a loss also produces not-joy in many. Such is sport....

If Alexandra was aware of this "If I lose, I quit!" dynamic, then I respectfully think that was a type of "dirty pool", even if it was just "being honest". Alexandra is a very nice and sympathetic and empathetic person. Although she is very much a "player", with much pride (especially after winning 3 very impressive matches to Qualify!), she is not without a subconscious.

I greatly envy your joy today, but I wonder if you feel this victory is entirely "clean", under the circumstances?

If this "I quit if I lose!" talk continues prior to the Shaughnessy match, then Miriam is likely to be humiliated mercilessly. Do you want that? (Such "trash talk" would only produce rage in most players - maybe not Alexandra, but probably Shaughnessy.)

Miriam is a very good and exciting player. I hope she plays many, many more tournaments before she retires - if she wants to. If she doesn't want to continue playing, then she should make that known, totally out-of-the-blue, between tournaments. This kind of talk, during a tournament, is "asking for trouble", or, at least, "impolite".

Just my opinion....

Good luck, Miriam, vs. Shaughnessy! (I don't like Shaughnessy.)

(hate mail, or any mail responding to this, should be sent to gzimman@fusai.com)

For info and pics re: Katarina Zoricic go to KatWorld at http://www.zoricic.com.
gzimman is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25th, 2002, 02:48 AM   #4
country flag DutchieGirl
On tour

DutchieGirl has a reputation beyond repute DutchieGirl has a reputation beyond repute DutchieGirl has a reputation beyond repute DutchieGirl has a reputation beyond repute DutchieGirl has a reputation beyond repute DutchieGirl has a reputation beyond repute DutchieGirl has a reputation beyond repute DutchieGirl has a reputation beyond repute DutchieGirl has a reputation beyond repute DutchieGirl has a reputation beyond repute DutchieGirl has a reputation beyond repute
actually gzimman... Miriam has NOT been talking openly to anyone and everyone about retiring! She has not been "trash talking" to anyone. One of the girls of this site has a webpage on Miriam, and she found out that Miriam was likely to retire unless she got to the third round of Wimby (thereby getting back into the top 100)... and so SHE told us, not Miriam!

And so NO, I do not think that Alexandra tanked the match just so Miriam wouldn't retire. Why would she? I mean everyone's gotta retire at some stage anyway, and so why would Alexandra go out and lose a match just to maybe stop someone from retiring. If Miriam loses to Meghann, then so be it. She is most likely to retire then, and it's up to her, but for you to say she's been going around "trash talking" (can't half tell that you are American with that phrase) her opponents into losing so she doesn;t retire is a bit ridiculous!

She & Him @ Melkweg "The Max", Amsterdam 6th May 2010
DutchieGirl is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25th, 2002, 04:31 PM   #5
country flag Zamboni
Vamorza!

Zamboni has a reputation beyond repute Zamboni has a reputation beyond repute Zamboni has a reputation beyond repute Zamboni has a reputation beyond repute Zamboni has a reputation beyond repute Zamboni has a reputation beyond repute Zamboni has a reputation beyond repute Zamboni has a reputation beyond repute Zamboni has a reputation beyond repute Zamboni has a reputation beyond repute Zamboni has a reputation beyond repute
Good reply Sarah

Miriam wants to stay in top100, and she won't if she loses early here...easy conclusion.

Anyway, thanx for the report Tim

Zamboni is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25th, 2002, 05:22 PM   #6
country flag DutchieGirl
On tour

DutchieGirl has a reputation beyond repute DutchieGirl has a reputation beyond repute DutchieGirl has a reputation beyond repute DutchieGirl has a reputation beyond repute DutchieGirl has a reputation beyond repute DutchieGirl has a reputation beyond repute DutchieGirl has a reputation beyond repute DutchieGirl has a reputation beyond repute DutchieGirl has a reputation beyond repute DutchieGirl has a reputation beyond repute DutchieGirl has a reputation beyond repute
Soooooo... HUP MIRIAM!

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 06:39 PM   #7
country flag Frau Antje

Frau Antje is a glorious beacon of light Frau Antje is a glorious beacon of light Frau Antje is a glorious beacon of light Frau Antje is a glorious beacon of light Frau Antje is a glorious beacon of light Frau Antje is a glorious beacon of light Frau Antje is a glorious beacon of light Frau Antje is a glorious beacon of light Frau Antje is a glorious beacon of light Frau Antje is a glorious beacon of light Frau Antje is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally posted by inkyfan
Miriam has NOT been talking openly to anyone and everyone about retiring!
well, she told it to me in Rosmalen... And why shall she lie?
She knows me and and she knows how much I always support her. So I was one of the first who got to know her decision.
And it was a clear statement: if she doesn't reach the third round in Wimbledon she will retire. Then she will only play Fedcup and thats it.
WTA-Tennisvideos

Frau Antje is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25th, 2002, 08:12 PM   #8
country flag Frau Antje

Frau Antje is a glorious beacon of light Frau Antje is a glorious beacon of light Frau Antje is a glorious beacon of light Frau Antje is a glorious beacon of light Frau Antje is a glorious beacon of light Frau Antje is a glorious beacon of light Frau Antje is a glorious beacon of light Frau Antje is a glorious beacon of light Frau Antje is a glorious beacon of light Frau Antje is a glorious beacon of light Frau Antje is a glorious beacon of light
and another comment:

why does Miriam need Alexandra's "help" not to retire? I mean she can decide for herself when she retires. If she says after Wimbledon (for the known reason) then it should be. If she doesn't want it, she can fix another point of time. So well, your comment gzimman, is ridiculous
WTA-Tennisvideos

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 11:53 AM   #9
gzimman

gzimman is just really nice gzimman is just really nice gzimman is just really nice gzimman is just really nice gzimman is just really nice gzimman is just really nice gzimman is just really nice gzimman is just really nice gzimman is just really nice gzimman is just really nice gzimman is just really nice
No, not ridiculous: appropriate!

So "she can decide for herself when she retires". I agree. She should. She should not lay it on her opponents to make the decision for her.

Turn the tables - put the shoe on the other foot - would you Miriam fans have "no problem" with the situation then? I suspect you'd write something like I did above, but with the names changed.

It was wrong of Miriam to ask Alexandra to "help" her retire.

Maybe this situation was not a factor in this match - because Alexandra didn't know. These things get around, though. If it was a factor, then I think it was wrong of Miriam to make it a factor. I'm not suggesting that Alexandra, deliberately and consciously, "threw" the match. Some things play with the head without us knowing it, though.

What's so special about top-100, anyway? A few weeks ago, at a 10K here, I saw players ranked 400-700+ playing their hearts out. I didn't hear any talk about "gotta retire now - not top 100". Tanner Cochran fought like Xena for almost 4 hours, then lost. She didn't retire. She won the next tournament.

Just my opinions, again. No more valid than anyone elses'. If Miriam retires like this, though, then she done it wrong. Admit it.

Goodbye.

For info and pics re: Katarina Zoricic go to KatWorld at http://www.zoricic.com.
Old Jun 26th, 2002, 12:45 PM   #10
country flag Josh
Team WTAworld
Administrator
aka Nibbler

Josh has disabled reputation
Miriam just beat Shaughnessy 7-5 6-3 and is in the third round!

I'm glad you're staying on the tour for a bit longer Miriam!
Old Jun 26th, 2002, 12:49 PM   #11
country flag DutchieGirl
On tour

No, I don't think Miriam has retired wrongly... but she just beat Shaughnessy anyway, so she is in the third round, and so then she probably is not going to retire. It's not wrong of her to say she'll retire if she reaches the third round. WHy shouldn't she say it. She's being honest. If she was playing someone who was gonna retire if they lost to her, I wouldn't care. I'll always cheer for my faves, and I don't care if who they are playing is gonna retire, or is just starting on the tour or what they are doing. Besides, did you read something about it in the papers in America? About Miriam retiring? Where did you hear about it? Here - do you think Alex might NOT have even known that Miriam was thinking about retiring? How do you know that she knew? Do you think Miriam went up to her and said "oh, if you beat me, I'm going to retire, so please let me win?" I don't think so!

And so no, I don't agree with you, and I don't feel we are wrong. If a player wants to win, then they play to win, no matter who they are playing! I don't think Miriam did anything wrong by telling some people how she feels. Obviously she sees being in the top 100 as better for her (ie then she can usually play in main tourneys, and not have to play challengers. As she is getting older, she obviously doesn't want to have to drop down to challenger level after being in the top 100 for a while, so she told some people that if she's not in the top 100 after Wimby she'll retire). Now... do you think Alex and Meghann sat down (if they even knew about how Miriam was feeling) after the draw was done, and worked out how many rounds Miriam would have to win to get back into the top 100? I doubt it. Because WE worked out on the board that she needed to get to the third round... as Frau Antje said, Miriam told her that she just wanted to be in the top 100 - so when she said that, she didn't know how she'd even have to do at Wimby to get into the top 100!

btw, Antje, when I said Miriam wasn't talking to anyone and everyone, I meant that she's not calling up all the newspapers and telling them that if she's not in the top 100 she'll retire. Of course, I see nothing wrong with her saying it to you, why shouldn't she?

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 01:05 PM   #12
country flag Frau Antje

Quote:
Originally posted by gzimman
Goodbye.
it's better you stay away from our forum

Miriam made her decision before the Wimbledon draw came out. She told me on Sunday before Rosmalen about her plans. Her only aim was to reach the Top 100 again. She said she doesn't mind playing qualifying for a Grand Slam but she doesn't want to end her career as she began. She will quit after the Australian Open anyway but she didn't want to end by playing qualifying.
So she doesn't need the help of anybody. She seemed to be very happy with her decision (she started a business last week) and I don't think it would make her problems losing early in Wimbledon. For her fans yes, but not for herself. She stands 100% behind her decision.
I really, really hope that neither Alex nor Miriam will ever read what gzimman said. It's such a shame to have someone like him on the board (and especially in our forum).
WTA-Tennisvideos

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 03:17 AM   #13
gzimman

Although I have not flamed anyone in this forum, I am, personally, flamed as "a shame", and "someone like him", because of my opinion that what Miriam did was wrong, even after conceding that my opinion is no more valid than anyone else's.

I persist in my opinion that what Miriam did was wrong, despite the explanations above, but I take extreme exception to the sentiments that my opinions are invalid and/or unwelcome. In my reality, everyone is fully entitled to their opinion, and welcome to express it, without being flamed. I fully respect the opinions above, except the opinion that I am "a shame" and "someone like him" from someone who knows basically zero about me.

I am a fan of many Dutch players. I suspect that if they ever visit your forum they will be reminded of the Nazi occupation.

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 11:48 AM   #14
country flag Frau Antje

Quote:
Originally posted by gzimman
I suspect that if they ever visit your forum they will be reminded of the Nazi occupation.
what has this discussion to do with Nazi occupation?

I mean you started first saying bad things about Miriam. At least I know her better than you, because you know absolutely nothing about her. And I know she would never act like this. That's why I'm so angry and that's why I think you should better stop talking things like that because you don't know what you say.
So please leave your frustration about Alex' defeat somewhere else ...
WTA-Tennisvideos

Last edited by Frau Antje : Jun 27th, 2002 at 05:32 PM.
Old Jun 27th, 2002, 05:38 PM   #15
country flag Tweety

Tweety is a name known to all Tweety is a name known to all Tweety is a name known to all Tweety is a name known to all Tweety is a name known to all Tweety is a name known to all Tweety is a name known to all Tweety is a name known to all Tweety is a name known to all Tweety is a name known to all Tweety is a name known to all
I don't even think Alexandra knew about it. And if she would have known, what I doubt, it wouldn't have changed the match in any way. Miriam wouldn't have been the first player who lost her last match to Alex.
Tweety is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote