Olga Govortsova Thread - Page 5 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jul 20th, 2007, 10:19 PM   #61
country flag sharapovarulz1
She came to play.......

sharapovarulz1 has a reputation beyond repute sharapovarulz1 has a reputation beyond repute sharapovarulz1 has a reputation beyond repute sharapovarulz1 has a reputation beyond repute sharapovarulz1 has a reputation beyond repute sharapovarulz1 has a reputation beyond repute sharapovarulz1 has a reputation beyond repute sharapovarulz1 has a reputation beyond repute sharapovarulz1 has a reputation beyond repute sharapovarulz1 has a reputation beyond repute sharapovarulz1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Olga Govortsova Thread

The Enquirer article:

Quote:
Reaching quarterfinals small victory for player

That was how 18-year-old Belarusian Olga Govortsova responded to finding out Thursday that she had just become the first person named Olga in 81 years to reach the quarterfinals of a women's professional tennis tournament in Cincinnati.

It was a quirky - and meaningless - piece of trivia dug up by the public relations staff here at the Western & Southern Financial Group Women's Open. Of far more relevance to Govortsova was the fact that she had reached the quarterfinals of a Sony Ericsson WTA Tour tournament for the first time in her career.

She rallied from a set down Thursday to beat American Jill Craybas 6-7 (5), 6-3, 6-1. Govortsova will play No. 3 seed Sania Mirza today for the first time.

"This is my best tournament," Govortsova said. "It's pretty important for me."

Her success here is also somewhat expected, considering she won four matches at Wimbledon - three in the qualifier and one in the main draw before losing to Marion Bartoli in the round of 64. That helped boost her ranking to No. 107, up from where she ended 2006 at No. 334. Craybas, at No. 66, was the highest-ranked player Govortsova has defeated.

"When you beat someone in the top 100, you feel better," Govortsova said. "I lost to (Craybas) in February easy. I've started improving since February."

Adjusting to the pro circuit from the juniors circuit took some time, Govortsova said. She languished in the 400s and 300s of the rankings for a couple years before finally breaking through with consistent victories this season.

She figured that her win against Craybas would put her into the top 100 when the new WTA rankings come out Monday.

"Right now, it's not so hard for me," Govortsova said. "It was hard to start (professionally). Breaking 300 was harder than getting into the top 100."

Official Right Midfielder Of The Sveta Football Team
sharapovarulz1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jul 23rd, 2007, 09:25 PM   #62
country flag Kutuzova

Kutuzova has much to be proud of Kutuzova has much to be proud of Kutuzova has much to be proud of Kutuzova has much to be proud of Kutuzova has much to be proud of Kutuzova has much to be proud of Kutuzova has much to be proud of Kutuzova has much to be proud of Kutuzova has much to be proud of Kutuzova has much to be proud of Kutuzova has much to be proud of

Olga qualified for Stanford with a 6-3 6-1 win over Kops-Jones..Go Olga!
Kutuzova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23rd, 2007, 09:34 PM   #63
She came to play.......

sharapovarulz1 has a reputation beyond repute sharapovarulz1 has a reputation beyond repute sharapovarulz1 has a reputation beyond repute sharapovarulz1 has a reputation beyond repute sharapovarulz1 has a reputation beyond repute sharapovarulz1 has a reputation beyond repute sharapovarulz1 has a reputation beyond repute sharapovarulz1 has a reputation beyond repute sharapovarulz1 has a reputation beyond repute sharapovarulz1 has a reputation beyond repute sharapovarulz1 has a reputation beyond repute

Nice One Olga

Old Jul 24th, 2007, 01:45 AM   #64
country flag Sharapova's_Boy

Sharapova's_Boy has a reputation beyond repute Sharapova's_Boy has a reputation beyond repute Sharapova's_Boy has a reputation beyond repute Sharapova's_Boy has a reputation beyond repute Sharapova's_Boy has a reputation beyond repute Sharapova's_Boy has a reputation beyond repute Sharapova's_Boy has a reputation beyond repute Sharapova's_Boy has a reputation beyond repute Sharapova's_Boy has a reputation beyond repute Sharapova's_Boy has a reputation beyond repute Sharapova's_Boy has a reputation beyond repute

Davai Olga.

Sharapova's_Boy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24th, 2007, 02:50 AM   #65
country flag TheBoiledEgg
Moderator - Challengers & Juniors

TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute

Olga
qualified

she plays Castano in r1
winnable match for Olga, would be disappointed if she didnt

good luck Olga
MINELLA LARRIERETsurenkoAlize Lim*El Tabakh*Robson*Cirstea*Juhaszova*Zanevska*Broady*Bouchard*Savic*M irza*Pennetta*Hantuchova*Cibulkova*Ivanovic*Fitzpatrick*Remondina*Domachowska*Flipkens*Hercog*Hofmanova*Schoofs*Cet kovska *Svitolina*Pliskova's*Rus
http://www.twitter.com/TheBoiledEgg
TheBoiledEgg is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24th, 2007, 05:23 PM   #66
She came to play.......

Good Luck in your match today Olga

Old Jul 24th, 2007, 07:45 PM   #67

TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute

Olga bt Castano 64 62
it should be Peer in r2

good luck Olga, take her out too
MINELLA LARRIERETsurenkoAlize Lim*El Tabakh*Robson*Cirstea*Juhaszova*Zanevska*Broady*Bouchard*Savic*M irza*Pennetta*Hantuchova*Cibulkova*Ivanovic*Fitzpatrick*Remondina*Domachowska*Flipkens*Hercog*Hofmanova*Schoofs*Cet kovska *Svitolina*Pliskova's*Rus
Old Jul 24th, 2007, 07:59 PM   #68
She came to play.......

Great Win Olga

Good Luck in your next match!

Old Jul 26th, 2007, 08:48 PM   #69

and olga came back and won in 3

4-6 7-5 6-2 win over Peer
Olga

now QF vs Hantuchova
good luck olga
Old Jul 26th, 2007, 09:12 PM   #70
She came to play.......

Great win Olga

Good Luck in your next match Just keep playing like you are and you will be top 50 soon

Old Jul 27th, 2007, 05:23 AM   #71
country flag Dexter
Team WTAworld
Polish & Serbian Kingdoms

Dexter has a reputation beyond repute Dexter has a reputation beyond repute Dexter has a reputation beyond repute Dexter has a reputation beyond repute Dexter has a reputation beyond repute Dexter has a reputation beyond repute Dexter has a reputation beyond repute Dexter has a reputation beyond repute Dexter has a reputation beyond repute Dexter has a reputation beyond repute Dexter has a reputation beyond repute

Well done on beating Peer! I am really eager to watch her play!

There's an interview with Olga on www.sonyericssonwtatour.com
Quote:
July 26, 2007

© LTA

Getting To Know...Olga Govortsova

STANFORD, CA, USA – This year's American hard-court season may still be in its infancy, but several notable performances from one young player has signaled her out as a force to be reckoned with this summer. The player in question is 18-year-old high-flyer, Olga Govortsova, who has enjoyed a meteoric rise up the rankings in 2007. The young Belarusian started the year down at a lowly No.334 in the world, but 50 wins later and she sits in the elite Top 100. Hot off the heels of her maiden Sony Ericsson WTA Tour quarterfinal appearance in Cincinnati, Govortsova recorded her first Top 20 win in Stanford this week when she defeated world No.18 Shahar Peer in a thrilling second-round encounter.
sonyericssonwtatour.com caught up with Olga to talk to her about life as one of the Tour's brightest rising stars.
Where is your hometown and where do you live now?
I was born in a little town called Pinsk in Belarus and I stayed there until I was about 10. Then I went to the capital, Minsk, to train more intensively and I was there until about 16-years-old when I moved over to America. While I was in the States I was in Washington and Texas mostly, but now I'm based back in Belarus as my family still live there, although being a tennis player sometimes it's a little difficult to call anywhere home!
How did the move to America come about?
Well I had a sponsor for my tennis and he lived in America, so I decided it would be best for my tennis development to make the move. I really enjoyed my time out there and now I miss it when I'm away from there for too long. I train there now, but as I said before my base is back in Belarus with my family as that is where my parents still live.
Tell us a little bit about your family?
I have two brothers and my parents. Actually it is through one of those brothers that I got into tennis when I was younger. My mother and I would always go to watch him play and one day when I was six my mother suggested I should play too, which is where my tennis really started. That brother now travels with me and helps me train and the other is the clever one as he's studying at university at present.
When did you realize you might be able to make it as a professional tennis player?
I started quite young and I wasn't too bad and my mother always thought I had a lot of talent and potential. When you are young though, you often don't think about things like becoming a professional, it's just really for fun. I really enjoyed playing and it wasn't until I was a little older and playing bigger tournaments and international competitions that I realized I could maybe go all the way.
What is your relationship with the other players on Tour?
I'm friendly with most players on Tour and at tournaments I will always say "hi" to the other girls, but my closest friend is probably Olga Poutchkova. She is also originally from Belarus like me, but she changed nationality to become Russian. Ages ago we used to practice together between the ages of 10 and 14 back in Belarus, but then we moved apart and didn't see each other for a long time. Then last summer we randomly bumped into each other at an ITF event in America and we have been really good friends since then.
Did you or do you still have any favorite players?
When I was growing up I didn't really look up to any players or model my game on any one player. I think it's good to have an individual style and be my own player, I have always been a little like this and I think it's my mentality and it helps me.
What kinds of things do you like to do for fun off the court?
Nothing too unusual, the same things as most teenagers I guess. I really like music, talking and hanging out with my friends, but being a tennis player there isn't often too much time for anything else!
What do you think you would have done if you hadn't become a tennis player?
When I was younger I did a lot of gymnastics as well as my tennis, so I always loved that, but I think maybe I was a little tall to be really good. My mother always thought I could make it as a tennis player and thankfully I have been able to prove her right!
Old Jul 28th, 2007, 04:13 PM   #72

Olga lost to Hantuchova 5-7 3-6
led 4-1 in 1st set too

Olga plays Husarova in qualies in San Diego
good luck Olga
Old Jul 29th, 2007, 08:26 AM   #73

Olga won 63 61

Olga plays Sromova in Q rd
good luck Olga
Old Jul 29th, 2007, 04:38 PM   #74
country flag Just Do It

Just Do It has a reputation beyond repute Just Do It has a reputation beyond repute Just Do It has a reputation beyond repute Just Do It has a reputation beyond repute Just Do It has a reputation beyond repute Just Do It has a reputation beyond repute Just Do It has a reputation beyond repute Just Do It has a reputation beyond repute Just Do It has a reputation beyond repute Just Do It has a reputation beyond repute Just Do It has a reputation beyond repute

Just Do It is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29th, 2007, 06:12 PM   #75
She came to play.......

Good Luck today Olga