Why Do So Many People Dislike Maria? - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jun 5th, 2014, 04:10 AM   #1
country flag midaso

midaso is a name known to all midaso is a name known to all midaso is a name known to all midaso is a name known to all midaso is a name known to all midaso is a name known to all midaso is a name known to all midaso is a name known to all midaso is a name known to all midaso is a name known to all midaso is a name known to all
Why Do So Many People Dislike Maria?

I'd like your viewpoint. I can't ask this question on any general tennis forum because it will spiral out of control. I go onto a couple of different tennis forums,and the thing that is bugging me is how everyone is rooting against Maria in these RG semis,the majority want anyone to win but Maria. And yet if Serena was there,they'd be cheering her on to get another slam. How does Genie get so many supporters? She's not even that good looking IMO and has done nothing of note yet. When she first came on the tour I thought "Good,here's another Maria to follow when she retires" but she's starting to really bug me now,mainly her fans who hype her up to insane levels. Make no mistake,there's no one worse for Maria to lose to at this point than Genie. Anyway,what do you think it is about Maria that pisses so many people off?
midaso is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jun 5th, 2014, 04:17 AM   #2
country flag Chrissie-fan
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Why Do So Many People Dislike Maria?

The grunting/screetching - that's more than 50% of it imo.

Thank you LI NA
Chrissie-fan is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5th, 2014, 04:47 AM   #3
country flag Schnell

Schnell is just really nice Schnell is just really nice Schnell is just really nice Schnell is just really nice Schnell is just really nice Schnell is just really nice Schnell is just really nice Schnell is just really nice Schnell is just really nice Schnell is just really nice Schnell is just really nice

It's just the Serena fans, still bitter over Sharapova's beatdown of her at Wimbledon 2004. They feel threatened by her even though everyone knows Serena is the better player, and they have had the satisfaction of Serena's beatdowns and wins against Sharapova at the 2005 AO, 2007 AO, 2007 IW, 2012 Olympics, and more.

Now, for the general viewing public, her grunting is definitely off-putting.
Schnell is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5th, 2014, 05:04 AM   #4
country flag Sharakim
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

Sharakim has a brilliant future Sharakim has a brilliant future Sharakim has a brilliant future Sharakim has a brilliant future Sharakim has a brilliant future Sharakim has a brilliant future Sharakim has a brilliant future Sharakim has a brilliant future Sharakim has a brilliant future Sharakim has a brilliant future Sharakim has a brilliant future

She's successful, beautiful, intelligent, and a winner. Ingredients that will make many people jealous and bitter.
Sharakim is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5th, 2014, 05:08 AM   #5
country flag Craig.
MA5HA

Craig. has a reputation beyond repute Craig. has a reputation beyond repute Craig. has a reputation beyond repute Craig. has a reputation beyond repute Craig. has a reputation beyond repute Craig. has a reputation beyond repute Craig. has a reputation beyond repute Craig. has a reputation beyond repute Craig. has a reputation beyond repute Craig. has a reputation beyond repute Craig. has a reputation beyond repute

What makes me laugh is people who say that Maria Sharapova (a great champion, a career slam winner, etc.) needs to lose for tennis to be saved. I know most are trolls, but still.

Les reines de Paris.
Craig. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5th, 2014, 05:21 AM   #6
country flag Schnell

Schnell is just really nice Schnell is just really nice Schnell is just really nice Schnell is just really nice Schnell is just really nice Schnell is just really nice Schnell is just really nice Schnell is just really nice Schnell is just really nice Schnell is just really nice Schnell is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig. View Post
What makes me laugh is people who say that Maria Sharapova (a great champion, a career slam winner, etc.) needs to lose for tennis to be saved. I know most are trolls, but still.
I think we all know "who" needs to retire so tennis can be saved
Schnell is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5th, 2014, 07:11 AM   #7
country flag Chrissie-fan
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute

GM just needs a player to play the role of the villain. She doesn't necessarily have to be a villain, it's just a role that GM decides she has to play for their entertainment. It used to be Wozniacki, but she can't hit her way out of a paperback anymore, so there's no fun in ridiculing her anymore. So now they have selected Sharapova for the part. She makes for an ideal victim because to play this role said player must be very successful, but she can't be the dominant player. If she wins 'everything' (like Serena) they don't have any material to work with. You can already see that Genie Bouchard is going to be their next victim. If she's going to be a dominant #1 with two or more slam wins per year they will leave her alone - no glory in bashing someone like that. But if she's going to be a #2 or 3 behind a dominant Halep - let alone a slamless #1 the mudpies are gonna come flying in from all directions.

Thank you LI NA
Chrissie-fan is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5th, 2014, 07:59 AM   #8
country flag Trih

Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute

Simply because many people need to justify their dislike for a player with "facts" or "stats" or "reasons" to feel right about it.
It's the old "my fave is better than yours so I'm better than you", while I don't believe anyone needs to justify their love or hate towards a player. I love Maria. Is she the best? No. I dislike Serena (even way before I knew Maria existed, like 1999). Is she the best of the last decade? Well yes. That doesn't change the fact I don't like her.
But the majority of the people in GM see it differently.
Trih is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5th, 2014, 08:03 AM   #9
country flag atominside

atominside has a brilliant future atominside has a brilliant future atominside has a brilliant future atominside has a brilliant future atominside has a brilliant future atominside has a brilliant future atominside has a brilliant future atominside has a brilliant future atominside has a brilliant future atominside has a brilliant future atominside has a brilliant future

I understand if you dislike someone, fine. But not to the point of ridiculing a player's every literal move. I dont get that. I never will understand how someone can devote so much time of their life towards that..
atominside is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5th, 2014, 08:05 AM   #10
country flag atominside

atominside has a brilliant future atominside has a brilliant future atominside has a brilliant future atominside has a brilliant future atominside has a brilliant future atominside has a brilliant future atominside has a brilliant future atominside has a brilliant future atominside has a brilliant future atominside has a brilliant future atominside has a brilliant future

I mean if you go in the other SS , all they have been talking about is maria maria maria.. its hilariously sad tbh.. then they claim they dont give a fuck about her when they clearly do. I dont dislike serena but i abhor her disgusting fans
Old Jun 5th, 2014, 08:29 AM   #11
country flag Cosmic Voices
Forever Sharapova.

Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute

Its just a respect issue tbh. Some of it has to do with race, money, winning tournaments, endorsement etc, and the fact Maria is a corporate Queen. In retrospect if you put aside anything to do with H2H's she was a young girl from Russia who came to the USA, her dad was working all hours to make ends meet and she does the impossible, wins Wimbledon at 17. That is a Cinderella story and no one will ever take that away from her.

10 years from now when Maria's career is over and the dust has settled people will realise how much of a revelation she actually was given the fact she wasn't a natural born athlete, nor the best tennis player, and yet still had enormous success.
Cosmic Voices is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5th, 2014, 08:46 AM   #12
country flag JadeFox

JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute

Well given the way she's been crushing the haters' hopes and dreams and even laughing about it...

I can't really blame them to be honest.

Come haters

When Daylight's fading,We're gonna play in the dark
Till it's golden again
JadeFox is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5th, 2014, 08:52 AM   #13
country flag atominside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Voices View Post
Its just a respect issue tbh. Some of it has to do with race, money, winning tournaments, endorsement etc, and the fact Maria is a corporate Queen. In retrospect if you put aside anything to do with H2H's she was a young girl from Russia who came to the USA, her dad was working all hours to make ends meet and she does the impossible, wins Wimbledon at 17. That is a Cinderella story and no one will ever take that away from her.

10 years from now when Maria's career is over and the dust has settled people will realise how much of a revelation she actually was given the fact she wasn't a natural born athlete, nor the best tennis player, and yet still had enormous success.
Totally agree
Old Jun 5th, 2014, 10:09 AM   #14
country flag chloe-pova

chloe-pova is just really nice chloe-pova is just really nice chloe-pova is just really nice chloe-pova is just really nice chloe-pova is just really nice chloe-pova is just really nice chloe-pova is just really nice chloe-pova is just really nice chloe-pova is just really nice chloe-pova is just really nice chloe-pova is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Voices View Post

Well said. I agree with the general consensus, it's partly the grunting, partly the "I love Serena so I must hate Maria" syndrome and probably partly because people are jealous.

I dislike Serena, and if I'm being honest pretty much the only reason is because she's better than Maria and it gets in the way of Maria's success, so I'm essentially jealous of how well she does and how she always seems to get in the way. So I think it's largely to do with that. You see the same thing in the music industry; fans of Katy Perry hate Gaga and vice versa. I'd say that's the main reason tbh.
chloe-pova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5th, 2014, 10:53 AM   #15
country flag Pimp_Me_Pova

Pimp_Me_Pova is a splendid one to behold Pimp_Me_Pova is a splendid one to behold Pimp_Me_Pova is a splendid one to behold Pimp_Me_Pova is a splendid one to behold Pimp_Me_Pova is a splendid one to behold Pimp_Me_Pova is a splendid one to behold Pimp_Me_Pova is a splendid one to behold Pimp_Me_Pova is a splendid one to behold Pimp_Me_Pova is a splendid one to behold Pimp_Me_Pova is a splendid one to behold Pimp_Me_Pova is a splendid one to behold
Well i think major reason is her grunt. People who doesn't fallow tennis so much as we do, and doesn't post on tennis boarda mostly dislike her because of her grunt and cold attitude in court. And all what they see in her is hot blonde who grounts.

People who fallow tennis a bit more, dislike her because she is beautiful, smart, strong, independendent, tough woman with great sense for business and with sarcastic sense of humor.
Plus i agree what chrissie fan said, on GM they need someone successfull but yet not so dominant to hate.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App

Maria Sharapova, Kim Aussie Clijsters, Roger Fedex Federer, Petra Kvitova, JMDP, Sabine Lisicki
Pimp_Me_Pova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote