UK TV-alert: Maria in Transworld Sport (Australian Open 2007) - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Feb 5th, 2007, 12:28 PM   #1
country flag andrewbroad
Team WTAworld

andrewbroad has a reputation beyond repute andrewbroad has a reputation beyond repute andrewbroad has a reputation beyond repute andrewbroad has a reputation beyond repute andrewbroad has a reputation beyond repute andrewbroad has a reputation beyond repute andrewbroad has a reputation beyond repute andrewbroad has a reputation beyond repute andrewbroad has a reputation beyond repute andrewbroad has a reputation beyond repute andrewbroad has a reputation beyond repute
UK TV-alert: Maria in Transworld Sport (Australian Open 2007)

(Transworld Sport may be televised in other countries, but the details in this message are specific to the UK.)

There are five points from the Australian Open final between Maria Sharapova and Serena Williams in this week's Transworld Sport, which is repeated with sign-language at 02:35 GMT on {Wednesday night/Thursday morning} on Channel 4.

The tennis was 1 minute into Sunday's broadcast of Transworld Sport, so I recommend 02:35 as a safe start-time for timer-record, and 02:43 as a safe stop-time (Transworld Sport has been known to start up to 5 minutes late).

The points they showed:

* Maria serving 0-3 (0/30): Maria hit a wide serve into the corner, but Williams from the tramlines hit a stunning crosscourt forehand return-winner onto the sideline.

* Williams serving 5-1 (40/30): Maria went for a short-angled crosscourt backhand return-winner, but it was just wide.

* Maria serving 1-6 0-0 (15/40): Maria hit a pinpoint forehand down the line, just inside the sideline, forcing Williams to hit a short, weak backhand that sat up nicely for Maria to hit an off-forehand approach back behind Williams, but Williams turned and hit a crosscourt backhand pass-winner - Maria hesitated before coming to the net, and thus was caught just inside the service-line instead of closing in properly to cut off the angle.

At this level, if you're going to come to the net, you must do so with full commitment - there's no time to wait and see how much damage your approach does.

* Williams serving 6-1 5-2 (30/0): Ace down the middle, on the sideline. There was a look of despair on Maria's face as Williams reached championship-point.

* Williams serving 6-1 5-2 (40/0): Another huge serve down the middle forced Maria to stretch wide and hit a short forehand return, and Williams hit an off-backhand winner just inside the sideline.

Serena Williams: "Even I didn't expect to come in and win, you know, you just always stay so positive, and you always go in, and you always think, 'I'm gonna win, I'm gonna win,' but when it really happens, it's like I still can't believe the tournament's over, you know - it's a awesome feelin'."

Then there's an animated image of Maria to mark her return to the #1 ranking - it does emphasise her buggy-whip forehand!

Notice a pattern here?
- 2004 New Haven 2r: Maria lt. Mashona Washington, 3-6 6-2 2-6
- 2006 Birmingham sf: Maria lt. Jamea Jackson, 4-6 4-6
- 2007 Australian Open final: Maria lt. Serena Williams, 1-6 2-6

They were all ranked #81 at the time!!!

--
Dr. Andrew Broad
http://geocities.com/andrewbroad/
http://geocities.com/andrewbroad/tennis/
http://geocities.com/andrewbroad/tennis/shara/

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sizzlingsharapova/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jeldani/
My Eternal Fanship: 1. Monica Seles; 2. Мария Шарапова (‘Maria Sharapova’); 3. Daniela Hantuchová; 4. Jelena Dokić; 5. Iva Majoli; 6. Karina Habšudová; 7. Вера Звонарёва (‘Vera Zvonarëva’); 8. Nicole Vaidišová; 9. Анна Чакветадзе (‘Anna Chakvetadze’); 10. Lucie Šafářová; 11. Ирода Туляганова (‘Iroda Tulyaganova’); 12. Magdaléna Rybáriková; 13. Sabine Lisicki
andrewbroad is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Feb 5th, 2007, 02:28 PM   #2
country flag Maria Croft

Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute
Re: UK TV-alert: Maria in Transworld Sport (Australian Open 2007)

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewbroad View Post

Notice a pattern here?
- 2004 New Haven 2r: Maria lt. Mashona Washington, 3-6 6-2 2-6
- 2006 Birmingham sf: Maria lt. Jamea Jackson, 4-6 4-6
- 2007 Australian Open final: Maria lt. Serena Williams, 1-6 2-6

They were all ranked #81 at the time!!!
That is really creepy

Wimbledon 2004 US Open 2006
Australian Open 2008 Roland Garros 2012 2014
0013..Eternal follower of the Golden Girl
Maria Croft is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 07:51 PM   #3
country flag schorsch

schorsch has a reputation beyond repute schorsch has a reputation beyond repute schorsch has a reputation beyond repute schorsch has a reputation beyond repute schorsch has a reputation beyond repute schorsch has a reputation beyond repute schorsch has a reputation beyond repute schorsch has a reputation beyond repute schorsch has a reputation beyond repute schorsch has a reputation beyond repute schorsch has a reputation beyond repute
Re: UK TV-alert: Maria in Transworld Sport (Australian Open 2007)

and they all trained at bollettieri
Official Masseur of the Jelena Clinic
Djokovic, Davydenko, Tipsarevic, Wawrinka, Baghdatis, Gulbis, Troicki, Kyrgios
schorsch is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote