Sabrina Santamaria Cheering Thread - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jul 17th, 2013, 05:38 PM   #1
country flag goOudinUSA

goOudinUSA has a reputation beyond repute goOudinUSA has a reputation beyond repute goOudinUSA has a reputation beyond repute goOudinUSA has a reputation beyond repute goOudinUSA has a reputation beyond repute goOudinUSA has a reputation beyond repute goOudinUSA has a reputation beyond repute goOudinUSA has a reputation beyond repute goOudinUSA has a reputation beyond repute goOudinUSA has a reputation beyond repute goOudinUSA has a reputation beyond repute
Sabrina Santamaria Cheering Thread

Sabrina is currently playing college tennis at the University of Southern California. She will be a junior next year.

She just recently won the silver medal at the 2013 University Games in Kazan, Russia.
She also has 2 doubles titles on the ITF tour and her career high rankings are 819 and 797 in singles and doubles, respectively.

GL Sabrina in college and on the pro tour!!

2014 Season
TT: Singles (0); Doubles (3) - Hong Kong w/catgamer, Grenoble w/catgamer, Santa Margherita Di Pula w/catgamer
PAW: Hobart
Q-Ball: Shenzhen
goOudinUSA is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jul 17th, 2013, 05:39 PM   #2
country flag goOudinUSA

goOudinUSA has a reputation beyond repute goOudinUSA has a reputation beyond repute goOudinUSA has a reputation beyond repute goOudinUSA has a reputation beyond repute goOudinUSA has a reputation beyond repute goOudinUSA has a reputation beyond repute goOudinUSA has a reputation beyond repute goOudinUSA has a reputation beyond repute goOudinUSA has a reputation beyond repute goOudinUSA has a reputation beyond repute goOudinUSA has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Sabrina Santamaria Cheering Thread

She will be playing in the 10k Viserba Di Rimini next week!! She is in the QD.

GL Sabs!!

2014 Season
TT: Singles (0); Doubles (3) - Hong Kong w/catgamer, Grenoble w/catgamer, Santa Margherita Di Pula w/catgamer
Old Jul 19th, 2013, 10:57 PM   #3
country flag goOudinUSA

10k Viserba Di Rimini
QR1 vs (wc)Francesca Bonometti (ITA)

GL Sabs!!

2014 Season
Old Jul 21st, 2013, 04:29 AM   #4
country flag goOudinUSA

Sabrina won 63 61!!

She plays Valeria Muratori (ITA) for a spot in the MD! GL Sabs!!

2014 Season
Old Jul 22nd, 2013, 04:01 AM   #5
country flag goOudinUSA

Sabs defeated Muratori 76(5) 62!

She plays fellow qualifier Miriana Tona in R1.
She also is playing doubles with fellow American, Kaitlyn Christian.

GL Sabrina!!

2014 Season
Old Jul 22nd, 2013, 04:18 AM   #6
country flag tie_breaker

tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold

OMG KK is in Italy too?

Last edited by tie_breaker : Jul 24th, 2013 at 05:01 AM.
tie_breaker is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24th, 2013, 03:31 AM   #7
country flag goOudinUSA

Sabrina beat Tona 76(4) 64. Nice job!!

Next up in R2 for Sabs is Natalia Siedliska of Poland. GL Sabrina!!

She and Kaitlyn won their doubles R1 by a score of 61 61!! They play the #1 seeds next. GL girls!

2014 Season
Old Jul 25th, 2013, 04:36 PM   #8
country flag goOudinUSA

She defeated Siedliska 64 64!
In the QF, Sabrina plays another qualifier, Stefania Rubini.

Also in doubles, she and Kaitlyn beat the #1 seeds 64 62!! In the SF they play WC team Giovine/Neffa De Los Rios.

2014 Season
Old Jul 25th, 2013, 04:44 PM   #9
country flag goOudinUSA

Sabs beat Rubini 62 75!!

2014 Season
Old Jul 26th, 2013, 01:07 PM   #10
country flag goOudinUSA

In the SF for Sabrina is Slovenian, Tjasa Srimpf.
She has both singles and doubles on the schedule for Friday. GL Sabrina!

2014 Season
Old Jul 26th, 2013, 05:34 PM   #11
country flag tie_breaker

tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold

Santamaria soaks in experience, takes silver at World University Games

Byline:

Steve Kelley, USA Team Columnist
Updated date:

Last Updated - July 17, 2013 11:47 GMT
E-mail: Contact | Archive | RSS

KAZAN, Russia — Standing in the hot summer sun behind the bleachers at Kazan’s Tennis Academy the overwhelming personal importance of Sabrina Santamaria’s World University Games experience finally caught up with her.
Hugging a couple of rackets to her chest as if they were family heirlooms, waiting for the medal ceremony to begin, the singles silver medalist began to cry, apologizing as she wiped the tears from her face.
“Those tears were pride mixed with joy and happiness,” her coach West Nott said. “We’ve been soaking in all of this experience.”
Santamaria lost Tuesday’s morning’s gold medal match to Japan’s Suchie Ishzu 6-2, 7-5, but she certainly owed no one an apology.
“I’m just so happy I had the opportunity to be here and play here,” she said. “I really don’t want to leave. This has been a really special moment for me.”
After losing the first set 6-2 and trailing 5-0 in the second set, Santamaria found her game. She started moving Ishzu around the court, forcing her to hit harder. As Santamaria began to claw her way into the match, the crowd, which almost filled the stands at the 1,000-set Academy, started chanting, “Sa-bri-na. Sa-bri-na.”

WORLD UNIVERSITY GAMESFollow NCAA student-athletes at the 27th World University Games in Kazan, Russia.
Complete coverage

, even the Russians. This was something really special and I don’t think I’ll ever experience something like this again.
“I have some friends who are swimmers who have competed in the World University Games before and they told me that this was a really big deal. It really is a special event, like the second largest event next to the Olympics. I’m really honored to be here and it’s an incredible honor to be able to stand up there on the podium.”
Santamaria isn’t a child of the tennis academies. She didn’t leave home to hit balls at Bolletieri’s school in Florida. She didn’t learn the game at some expensive, exclusive club.
She is a product of Los Angeles’ public courts. Her father didn’t drop her off for lessons with some high-profile coach. He joined her, bringing a bucket of tennis balls and hitting with her for hours as she tirelessly pleaded with him for just a few more rallies.
Santamaria learned the game by playing against men her father’s age. Older men who played the game creatively, feathering drop shots that died and spun back toward the net when they hit the court, working her side to side with an assortment of slices and topspin lobs. They taught her to think the game as well as play it.
“One of the things I love about Sabrina is her upbringing,” Nott said, who has been working with her for two years at USC. “She played in a park in L.A. and just played with a bunch of old guys around the park. I think that’s where she developed a lot of her touch.
“She didn’t get dropped off at some country club. It was just her and her dad playing a ton of practice matches. It wasn’t like she was the superstar recruit by any means. There were a lot of kids ahead of her, but she really maxed out.”
Santamaria admitted to a case of nerves early in the match. She had difficulty adjusting to Ishzu’s ball. She was broken twice in the first four games and scored only four total points in those games.
“I’m just really proud of her,” Nott said. “The way she fought out there [Tuesday]. She was not having her best day, but she found a way to be competitive and give herself a chance. That’s all you can ask for. We honestly had no idea what to expect before we got here and to see her compete and to see the depth of the field and see her dig down and give the big dogs here a run for their money was great.”
Santamaria is an anomaly in this age of women’s tennis, where the players are 6-feet and taller and play a game analyst Mary Carillo dubbed “Big Babe Tennis.” It started with players such as Lindsay Davenport and Mary Pierce and has continued with Serena Williams and Maria Sharapova.
But Santamaria is 5-foot-2, a scatback in a game that seems more and more designed for long, tall thumpers. But Nott says Santamaria compensates for her size disadvantage with her speed and court awareness. He believes she can compete with the 6-foot knockout punchers.
“I think since the generation of Sharapova and Serena Williams began, the young kids try to emulate that style, but not every player is 6-foot-1 and 170 pounds and just crushing the ball,” Nott said. “Sabrina doesn’t really have those things, but what I love about her is that she uses her assets, her speed, her great mind, her variety, just savviness around the court. She’s been successful like that. She just sees the court in a different way.”
Santamaria and her USC doubles partner Kaitlyn Christian are the most successful team in college tennis history. They have won four national championships. They’ve lost only one collegiate match since 2012 and because they are national champions, they have earned berth into the main draw at the U.S. Open in New York next month. They play a unique style of doubles, including standing two back when serving.
“It’s hard to prepare for,” Nott said. “It’s like preparing for Tim Tebow.”
Nott said he thinks that team could become dominant like the Bryan Brothers in men’s tennis. He also believes Santamaria can become a Top-50 singles player.
“I believe in her. I think she can be a tour player,” said Nott, who also has coached tour player Maria Sanchez. “Sabrina is right at Maria’s level, if not better. No one plays like her. You just can’t find players like her running around on the streets and I think that’s going to help make her successful. And don’t be fooled, she packs a wallop for her size. She just keeps winning. She’s been winning ever since she arrived on campus.”
The winning continued in Russia. The silver medal around her neck was glittering proof of that.
tie_breaker is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27th, 2013, 04:12 AM   #12
country flag goOudinUSA

Thanks for the article.

Sabs is into the final in both singles and doubles!!

Singles Final vs (3)Alice Balducci (ITA).
Doubles Final vs G.Gasparri/L.Sabino (ITA/SUI).

GL in both!!

2014 Season
Old Jul 28th, 2013, 12:11 AM   #13
country flag goOudinUSA

Sabrina fell in the final, 26 16.
But in the doubles final, she and Kaitlyn won 62 61!!

Congrats on a great week, Sabrina!!!

2014 Season
Old Jul 28th, 2013, 05:25 AM   #14
country flag fantic
esprits d'élite

fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute

There might be a surprise before the summer ends.

my tennis blog
my personal blog my youtube acct
my flickr acct my imgur acct picasa album acct

"Learning knows no differences of social caste or privilege. The mind is a radical democrat."
- Woodrow Wilson
fantic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28th, 2013, 06:40 AM   #15
country flag tennisbuddy12
College Tennis/Team USA expert

tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantic View Post
There might be a surprise before the summer ends.
You think she'll turn pro??? Or is it she might get a singles QWC or MDWC into the Open?

tennisbuddy12 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote