Elena Dementieva's Tokyo Blog - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 30th, 2007, 06:39 PM   #1
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute
Elena Dementieva's Tokyo Blog

Elena Dementieva's Tokyo Blog

TOKYO, Japan - Elena Dementieva has fond memories of Tokyo. A year ago, she won the biggest of her now-six career Sony Ericsson WTA Tour titles in the Japanese capital. This week she returns to the $1.34 million Toray Pan Pacific Open looking to defend one of those titles for the first time; she's also the very first Sony Ericsson WTA Tour Player Blogger in 2007. So sit back and enjoy, as one of the world's best brings you along for the Tier I ride in Tokyo this week!
-----
Tuesday, January 30, 2007
Hi everyone,
I'm excited to be writing my first blog from the wonderful city of Tokyo, where I'm playing in the Toray Pan Pacific Open. I came here from Melbourne Saturday night - no, Friday night - sorry, I had to think about that for a moment! On the Tour we travel quite a bit, moving from tournament to tournament almost every week, so sometimes I lose track of the days.
Right now it's pretty cold here in Tokyo, which was a bit shocking because we were just in Melbourne, where it was scorching hot. It's not as cold here as it was last year, but it's cold enough and we have to play indoors. This is my sixth time coming here and I'm very excited. This tournament is very special to me. I still remember very vividly winning the final last year against Martina Hingis. She's a tough player, a great competitor, and it was such a great experience. I look forward to playing my first match and hope that I can defend my title.
Unfortunately, I haven't been out much yet since I arrived here, not even to go shopping, which is very unusual for me and my mom. I think this is the only city where my mom and I don't go shopping. It's not because we don't like the shops here; it's because it's so hard to find clothes in our size. In general, Japanese people are smaller than me, so the clothes are always too small or too short for me and my mom. It's too bad really, but it doesn't stop us from going to the electronic shops, which are amazing here. I can spend hours just in one shop, checking out the latest cameras and cell phones. Their electronics are like no other; it's fascinating. We haven't bought anything yet but I know my mom has her eye on a new camera. She bought one here last year and wants another one.
Even though we haven't been able to go out too much, I've been busy. Last night, we had the official welcome party for the tournament. It's a tradition here and I think it's one of the best things about the tournament. All of the players are there and everyone always dresses up, which is a nice change from the tennis clothes. It starts out with a press conference with all the players. The tournament is so respectful to the players and makes sure that all of the players are included. Everyone feels appreciated. At the party, they introduce all of us onto a stage and present flowers to us. It really is quite an event, and it's so nice to be able to hang out with my friends on the Tour outside of tennis. The dinner is fantastic – so many different kinds of sushi, my favorite. I think I ate too much because for the first time in my life, I didn't feel like having breakfast this morning!
Today I had practice then All-Access Hour, which is the pre-tournament media roundtables. After that, I met with Yonex. We discussed new collections, which I'm very excited about. I can't say much because it's going to be a surprise, but what I can tell you is that I'll have a very nice dress at the next Grand Slam.
After that, we went to dinner – sushi of course. You can never have enough sushi.
Tomorrow, my mom is going to see the sumo wrestlers, which I'm so jealous of. The tournament has kindly organized a trip to see a practice. She's wanted to see them for so long and has been talking about it since the first day we arrived. I think she wants to go so that she can feel smaller. I really wanted to go but it's in the morning, and I was worried about my doubles match, which is the third match on the schedule. My mom promised to take lots of pictures and I'm sure she'll tell me all about it. Hopefully, I can go next time; it is so interesting. Once my mom tells me about it, I'll make sure to share with all of you tomorrow in my next blog.
Speaking of tomorrow, I'm off to bed - so, good night and talk to you tomorrow!

HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 30th, 2007, 06:44 PM   #2
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Elena Dementieva's Tokyo Blog

Old Jan 31st, 2007, 10:33 AM   #3
country flag goldenlox

Sumo spectators, Lena and her mom

Old Jan 31st, 2007, 11:27 AM   #4
country flag Dementinator
Captain of the SS Dementieva

Dementinator has a reputation beyond repute Dementinator has a reputation beyond repute Dementinator has a reputation beyond repute Dementinator has a reputation beyond repute Dementinator has a reputation beyond repute Dementinator has a reputation beyond repute Dementinator has a reputation beyond repute Dementinator has a reputation beyond repute Dementinator has a reputation beyond repute Dementinator has a reputation beyond repute Dementinator has a reputation beyond repute

hehehe cute! and what in the name of god is that thing that looks like a Nuclear Reactor perched right in front of Lena! now thats what I call heater ,circa 1915! All the high technology in the world and the Japanese bring in something that looks like it came from the engine room of the Titanic and was designed by Brunel!

Once a Lena fan always a Lena fan
Dementinator is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 10:42 PM   #5
country flag goldenlox

Wednesday, January 31, 2007
Hello everyone,
So my mom woke me up today and told me we were seeing the sumo wrestlers. She said it was a one-time experience, so I definitely didn't want to miss it. We were going to go at 7:15am but instead we went at 8am; I'm glad they changed the time because I hate waking up in the morning!
When we got there, it was a little bit disgusting in the first moments, because you are there watching and being so close to them, but of course we were trying to take a good picture. But actually, it was very interesting. I was in the front row, so I had a good seat for it. The best part was when the master walked in. I was watching him because he came an hour after everyone, then was drinking beer, not paying attention to anyone. I told my mom, 'Please make a good video!'
I was really surprised at how flexible they were. They are really strong. They have such a good balance. Some say sumo wrestlers aren't real athletes, but I think they are. One of them was really big, but the rest were pretty lean. I was also surprised how strong they were and how many muscles they had.
When we got back we were copying them, trying to do their stances, but it wasn't as good as how they did. It's hard to balance with one leg. That was about the time we came here to the tournament. My mom didn't try it.
I played my first doubles match today. I was lucky to play it before my singles to try the surface because it's different compared to others. It's nice to have one match to get used to the carpet. It was nice to win the match too! We didn't expect to win - it was our first time playing together and Francesca Schiavone and Roberta Vinci are very good. My partner, Olga Savchuk, is a good friend of mine. We've known each other for a few years. She's only 19 so she's a baby compared to me - I'm 25, a few years older than her! When I had my birthday, the first message my friend sent me was 'Congratulations, now it's time to get some anti-age cream.' Already?
We might get sushi for dinner tonight but we were also planning to go to a French restaurant. It's only a few days before I fly to Paris for the next tournament, so I thought we should have that. Then maybe in Paris we'll have sushi; it's always like that. I've had sushi three nights in a row... including last night in the hotel.
I'm playing my first singles match on Thursday against Elena Likhovtseva. She likes to play here. It's going to be a tough match but what can I do? Maybe Gina from the WTA can change the draw for me.
I'll talk to you all afterwards!

Old Jan 31st, 2007, 10:50 PM   #6
country flag Dementinator
Captain of the SS Dementieva

Dementinator has a reputation beyond repute Dementinator has a reputation beyond repute Dementinator has a reputation beyond repute Dementinator has a reputation beyond repute Dementinator has a reputation beyond repute Dementinator has a reputation beyond repute Dementinator has a reputation beyond repute Dementinator has a reputation beyond repute Dementinator has a reputation beyond repute Dementinator has a reputation beyond repute Dementinator has a reputation beyond repute

I have no idea why ,but I just get this strange feeling that Elena could like Sushi? wierd.

"Anti age cream" I wouldnt wanna be near lena when she heard that ,and now we KNOW she DOES have trouble getting her finely honed ass out of her pit in the mornings!

shes just sooooooo goddamned adorable its not true!

Once a Lena fan always a Lena fan
Dementinator is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1st, 2007, 03:32 AM   #7
country flag selyoink

selyoink has a reputation beyond repute selyoink has a reputation beyond repute selyoink has a reputation beyond repute selyoink has a reputation beyond repute selyoink has a reputation beyond repute selyoink has a reputation beyond repute selyoink has a reputation beyond repute selyoink has a reputation beyond repute selyoink has a reputation beyond repute selyoink has a reputation beyond repute selyoink has a reputation beyond repute

I can't blame Lena for hating waking up in the morning. It is probably the toughest part of my day.
Riding the 3AM Rollercoaster
selyoink is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1st, 2007, 04:38 AM   #8
country flag No Name Face

No Name Face has a reputation beyond repute No Name Face has a reputation beyond repute No Name Face has a reputation beyond repute No Name Face has a reputation beyond repute No Name Face has a reputation beyond repute No Name Face has a reputation beyond repute No Name Face has a reputation beyond repute No Name Face has a reputation beyond repute No Name Face has a reputation beyond repute No Name Face has a reputation beyond repute No Name Face has a reputation beyond repute

the fact that she and i love sushi so much means we're meant to be. sushi's like my favorite food.
No Name Face is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1st, 2007, 06:33 AM   #9
country flag itzhak

itzhak has a reputation beyond repute itzhak has a reputation beyond repute itzhak has a reputation beyond repute itzhak has a reputation beyond repute itzhak has a reputation beyond repute itzhak has a reputation beyond repute itzhak has a reputation beyond repute itzhak has a reputation beyond repute itzhak has a reputation beyond repute itzhak has a reputation beyond repute itzhak has a reputation beyond repute

When we got back we were copying them, trying to do their stances, but it wasn't as good as how they did. It's hard to balance with one leg. That was about the time we came here to the tournament. My mom didn't try it.

Who is "we"?...
itzhak is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1st, 2007, 11:30 AM   #10
country flag goldenlox

Lena D beat Lena L 6-3, 7-5. That should be a topic on today's blog

Old Feb 1st, 2007, 05:48 PM   #11
country flag goldenlox

Thursday, February 1, 2007

So we didn't end up going to the French restaurant for dinner last night; instead, we went to the Japanese buffet downstairs in the hotel. We had to wait quite a bit, like an hour and a half - it was quite long but it was very good.

Today I woke up at 8am, then caught the bus to the tournament at 9:15am. There are no individual cars here - it's one big bus. Normally, me and my mom are always in trouble because we're always late, and the driver is waiting for us for 20 minutes. But knowing how keen all the players are about getting to the tournament, we were on time today. I'm trying really hard to be on time here.

Once we got to the tournament, I had to rush to get ready for my match. I was the second match on the schedule and the first match went really quickly, so I didn't really have much time to warm-up. Actually, I don't think Elena Likhovtseva had much time to warm-up either. The match was tough; I was 6-3 4-0 up and then she won five games in a row. It was a real roller coaster for us. It's okay though - when two Russians play against each other, that's normal! At the press conference I was asked a really good question - they asked if I thought Martina Hingis helped me to win this tournament last year by beating Maria Sharapova in the semifinals. I said 'Don't you think so?' The reporters really enjoyed that one!

I had a long gap between my singles and doubles matches today. I was last on in doubles, so I took a little nap. I actually fell asleep on the massage table... I don't toss and turn much in my sleep so I didn't worry about falling off.

I've been on site all day. It's so difficult to stay indoors all the time, you feel like your eyes are getting really tired. You want to feel the fresh air. So, during the day, you can go on a run on the track outside. Another thing I've been doing to keep myself busy is thinking about the sumo wrestlers and practicing the moves. But I guess you don't have to go outside for that.

I'll talk to you all tomorrow after my quarterfinal!

Old Feb 1st, 2007, 05:55 PM   #12
country flag goldenlox

Dementieva built up a 4-0 lead in the second set before her namesake suddenly came to life.
"It was a bit difficult to finish the match in the second set," Dementieva said.
"I think I just lost my concentration a little bit when it was 4-0 for me. I think Elena started to play well, like she had nothing to lose. She was going for the winner down the line and she did it pretty good."
For the 25-year-old Dementieva, ranked eighth in the world, it was important to avoid going to a third set.
"I was afraid we were going to split [the sets] and I would have to start all over again," she said. "I'm glad to finish at 7-5 with so many troubles. It's important to finish in two sets and save some energy for the next round."
Although the defending champion, Dementieva knows it will be a tough road to another title. She next faces Italian qualifier Roberta Vinci, a 6-3, 6-0 winner over France's Severine Bremond, then faces possible clashes with Martina Hingis and Sharapova.
Last year, Dementieva destroyed Hingis 6-2, 6-0 in the final.
"I feel every year every tournament is a new challenge for me," said Dementieva, who has six career titles. "It's going to be very difficult to defend my title this time."

Old Feb 1st, 2007, 11:05 PM   #13
country flag No Name Face

No Name Face has a reputation beyond repute No Name Face has a reputation beyond repute No Name Face has a reputation beyond repute No Name Face has a reputation beyond repute No Name Face has a reputation beyond repute No Name Face has a reputation beyond repute No Name Face has a reputation beyond repute No Name Face has a reputation beyond repute No Name Face has a reputation beyond repute No Name Face has a reputation beyond repute No Name Face has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlox View Post
At the press conference I was asked a really good question - they asked if I thought Martina Hingis helped me to win this tournament last year by beating Maria Sharapova in the semifinals. I said 'Don't you think so?' The reporters really enjoyed that one!
Elena
You should be more confident. You defeated Sharpie in two to win your other title, don't you remember that? Either way, I saw the match in which she destroyed Hingis. She would have won against Sharapova in two or three sets, granted Sharapova wasn't at her absolute peak. Elena's serve was working that day.
No Name Face is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 12:49 AM   #14
country flag Natasc

Natasc has a reputation beyond repute Natasc has a reputation beyond repute Natasc has a reputation beyond repute Natasc has a reputation beyond repute Natasc has a reputation beyond repute Natasc has a reputation beyond repute Natasc has a reputation beyond repute Natasc has a reputation beyond repute Natasc has a reputation beyond repute Natasc has a reputation beyond repute Natasc has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Name Face View Post
Elena
You should be more confident. You defeated Sharpie in two to win your other title, don't you remember that? Either way, I saw the match in which she destroyed Hingis. She would have won against Sharapova in two or three sets, granted Sharapova wasn't at her absolute peak. Elena's serve was working that day.
Her server and everyhting else... she pull a Federer on that day
I want that Lena again!!
Natasc is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 01:34 AM   #15
country flag miffedmax
Worshipping the bangs

miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute

The more I read from Elena, the more convinced I am that she does, indeed, AFR and then some.
"I read on the internet that there is something chipmunky about me :-)"--Andrea H.

Elena Viatcheslavovna Dementieva--Eternal Goddess of the Divine Bangs
miffedmax is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote