Getting to know the Slammin Sam Fam! - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Apr 8th, 2014, 12:07 PM   #1
country flag Ado.

Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold
Getting to know the Slammin Sam Fam!

Now that we have a few weeks with limited Sam action, this is a good opportunity to get to know each other a little better. We seem to chat to each other at unhealthy levels so why not find out more about each other. I will start with a list ot questions and everyone can answer as much or as little as they wish. If I have missed any fun or trivial questions let me know.

Last edited by Ado. : Apr 8th, 2014 at 12:24 PM.
Ado. is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 8th, 2014, 12:21 PM   #2
country flag Ado.

Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold
Nickname or actual name: Ado or Adrian
Age or age range: 35
Sex: Male
Resides: Sydney
Nationality: Australian
Work: Franchisee of two fast food stores (ex Business Analyst)
Interests: Tennis (naturally), Rugby League, Travel, Stats and Analysis relating mainly to Sports, Trivia, Way too much TV.
Favourite Tournament: French Open.
Favourite Destination: Paris, Budapest, Bora Bora, Queenstown

Favourite Female players past and present: Sam, Momo, Clijsters, Henin, Graf, Pierce (before she went nutty), Coetzer, Huber, MJ Fernandez, Franny, Li, Date, warming to Genie and Barty.

Favourite Male players past and present:
Fed, Nadal, Rafter, Gasquet, Verdasco, Edberg, Clement, warming to Dimitrov.

Your introduction to Tennis:
My first experience was watching Wimbledon in 1987 watching Graf play. I fell in love with the pomp and ceremony of Wimby and how amazing Graf played. I was hooked from day one.

Favourite non Sam match:
French Open final between Graf and Sanchez Vicario 1996.
Capriati v Hingis final of Aus Open 2002 was pretty awesome too.
Momo winning Wimbledon.
Graf winning her last French Open v Hingis.

Favourite Sam match:
Can't go past her 2011 US Open win (Best birthday ever!)
Oh and her first wins over Petra, Vika and Masha were sweet.

Last edited by Ado. : Apr 9th, 2014 at 12:02 PM.
Old Apr 8th, 2014, 05:04 PM   #3
country flag kvaker81

kvaker81 has a brilliant future kvaker81 has a brilliant future kvaker81 has a brilliant future kvaker81 has a brilliant future kvaker81 has a brilliant future kvaker81 has a brilliant future kvaker81 has a brilliant future kvaker81 has a brilliant future kvaker81 has a brilliant future kvaker81 has a brilliant future kvaker81 has a brilliant future
Re: Getting to know the Slammin Sam Fam!

Nickname or actual name: Shaz
Age or age range: 33
Sex: Female
Resides: Haifa, Israel
Nationality: Israeli/Russian
Work: Security guard
Interests: Biathlon, Tennis, reading, ladies
Favourite Tournament: Didn't choose yet
Favourite Destination: Berlin

Favourite Female players past and present: Martina, Sammy, Sara, Camila Most of Italians too

Favourite Male players past and present: Murray

Your introduction to Tennis: Somewhere in 1996 when I've discovered first of Eurosport and was fascinated by Martina Hingis moves

Favourite non Sam match: Anything with Martina

Favourite Sam match: No idea yet
kvaker81 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8th, 2014, 10:47 PM   #4
country flag SilverPersian
Lord Of The Persians

SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute

Nickname or actual name: Tim
Age or age range: 26
Resides: Melbourne, probably moving soon
Work: Student/Tutor/Research Assistant
Interests: Worshipping at the temple of Sam/piano/sociology/HBO TV series
Favourite Tournament: Charleston, Stuttgart, and now they have cameras, Osaka slam is up there
Favourite Destination: I haven't travelled as widely as I would have liked - favourite place I've been would be Moscow, but would like to try Italy in the not too distant future.

Favourite Female players past and present: Sam Stosur, Li Na, Jarmila Gajdosova, Svetlana Kuznetsova, Mary Pierce, Amelie Mauresmo, Justine Henin

Favourite Male players past and present: Andy Murray, Stanislas Wawrinka, Ryan Harrison, Dmitri Tursunov, Pat Rafter

Your introduction to Tennis: Mmmm…my Dad and my sister used to play when I was younger, and I often tagged along. And then I always remember watching a fair bit of tennis over the Australian summer from around 1996 onwards. First live match I saw was a Henin/Sveta match in the final of Sydney in about 2007 I think.

Favourite non Sam match: There are non-Sam matches?

Favourite Sam match: Five way tie between:
-USO 2011 Sam d. Serena for pure awesomeness
-uSO 2011 Sam d. Petrova for pure exhaustion and complete and utter headcasery
-USO 2010 Sam d. Dementieva for pure saving of match points and mental strength
-Charleston 2010 Sam d. Zvonareva for pure domination
-French Open 2010 Sam d. Henin for pure bullying a clay court legend into the dirt

…whaddya mean I'm only allowed one?!

Jarmila Gajdosova|Svetlana Kuznetsova|Vera Zvonareva|Francesca Schiavone
SilverPersian is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2014, 07:58 AM   #5
country flag stromatolite

stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute

Nickname or actual name: Jim
Age or age range: 58()
Resides: Netherlands
Work: Social/economic research
Interests: Tennis, cricket, movies, books, travel
Favourite Tournament: Stuttgart
Favourite Destination: Australia (also love visiting Spain, Italy, France, USA, Canada, Scotland, Ireland, Turkey, ....)

Favourite Female players past and present: Sam, NaNa, Momo, Graf, Navratilova, BJK, Simona, Ash, Alicia, JJ, Flavia, Jarka, Petra, ... (I'm sure more will spring to mind later).

Favourite Male players past and present:
Fed, Rafter, Agassi, Edberg, Goran, Ashe, Andy Murray, .....

Your introduction to Tennis:
Played tennis from a pretty early age, always badly, but always loved the game. My first memorable experience watching tennis was the 1975 Wimbledon final, when Arthur Ashe beat Jimmy Arsehole Connors in 4 sets. Only Sam has given me a better tennis buzz than that

Favourite non Sam match:
The one I just mentioned. Also the classic Wimby final between Rafter and Ivanisevic. Momo beating Henin at Wimby 2006 was pretty sweet as well.

Favourite Sam match:
2011 US Open final of course, but for a quick Sam fix when I'm feeling a bit down it's also hard to go past Charleston 2010 final
stromatolite is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2014, 08:12 AM   #6

stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverPersian View Post
Interests: Worshipping at the temple of Sam/piano/sociology/HBO TV series
Sociology is an interest for you? (my training is as a sociologist, but I never actually met anybody for whom it was a hobby)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvaker81 View Post
This is an interest I can understand. I think we might be in the minority on this forum though
Old Apr 9th, 2014, 11:55 AM   #7
country flag Ado.

We are a mixed bunch aren't we but have some very similar interests and likes.

I just updated mine a little more as things came to mind that I missed

Last edited by Ado. : Apr 9th, 2014 at 12:02 PM.
Old Apr 9th, 2014, 12:12 PM   #8
Lord Of The Persians

SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by stromatolite View Post
Sociology is an interest for you? (my training is as a sociologist, but I never actually met anybody for whom it was a hobby)
Yes, I do actually enjoy the research that I'm doing and feel very lucky to be in a position to do it. I don't know if I would quite use the word "hobby", but it's definitely a positive interest of mine. My impression is that you were trained primarily in quantitative sociology which might explain why you don't find it as interesting as I do in my airy-fairy arts-fartsy qualitative world

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adomoose
Fed, Nadal, Rafter, Gasquet, Verdasco, Edberg, Clement, warming to Dimitrov.
I feel like I've said some not very nice things about Nadal in this thread before, for which I should apologise. I tend to assume that everyone here has the same faves as me

Also, can I ask where the "moose" comes from?

Old Apr 9th, 2014, 12:26 PM   #9

^I like sociology, even though most of what I do these days is more economics. Like you said I'm more from the quantitative side, but still get to be the butt of jokes like this:

Quote:
What's the difference between a sociologist and an automatic sewing machine?
Answer: the sewing machine will usually stop when it loses the thread.
Quote:
Sociologist 1: What time is it?
Sociologist 2 (after thinking deeply for several minutes): What do you think?
And of course the immortal:

Old Apr 9th, 2014, 12:40 PM   #10
country flag Ado.

Quote:
Yes, I do actually enjoy the research that I'm doing and feel very lucky to be in a position to do it. I don't know if I would quite use the word "hobby", but it's definitely a positive interest of mine. My impression is that you were trained primarily in quantitative sociology which might explain why you don't find it as interesting as I do in my airy-fairy arts-fartsy qualitative world

I feel like I've said some not very nice things about Nadal in this thread before, for which I should apologise. I tend to assume that everyone here has the same faves as me

Also, can I ask where the "moose" comes from?
Don't apologise. I actually only warmed to Nadal in the past year or so. Before I thought he was a robotic tool. I love the fact that we all have favs in common but also players we dislike that others like. I don't get Vika and Serena and know a few are fans here but also respect their achievements.

The "Moose" is my partner's nickname and after being together for so long (17 years ) friends started calling us that instead of Ado and Moose and it stuck.
Old Apr 9th, 2014, 12:42 PM   #11
country flag Ado.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stromatolite View Post
^I like sociology, even though most of what I do these days is more economics. Like you said I'm more from the quantitative side, but still get to be the butt of jokes like this:

And of course the immortal:

My first year at Uni was a doing a degree majoring in Sociology and Comms. I finished with a Business degree
Old Apr 9th, 2014, 12:44 PM   #12
country flag Ado.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvaker81 View Post
Nickname or actual name: Shaz
Age or age range: 33
Sex: Female
Resides: Haifa, Israel
Nationality: Israeli/Russian
Work: Security guard
Favourite Tournament: Didn't choose yet
Favourite Destination: Berlin

Favourite Female players past and present: Martina, Sammy, Sara, Camila Most of Italians too

Favourite Male players past and present: Murray

Your introduction to Tennis: Somewhere in 1996 when I've discovered first of Eurosport and was fascinated by Martina Hingis moves

Favourite non Sam match: Anything with Martina

Favourite Sam match: No idea yet
Shaz, what is your fascination or interest in the Italian players? How did that come about?
Old Apr 9th, 2014, 12:45 PM   #13
Lord Of The Persians

I'd never even considered the world of sociology based humour before now:
Quote:
A musicologist says to her sociologist friend, “We’re not that different you and I.”
“How so?” the sociologist asks skeptically.
“We both study cymbalic interaction.”
Quote:
How many sociologists does it take to change a light bulb?
Answer: Seven.
One to write up the grant application.
One to distribute the funds.
One to unscrew the bulb and replace it.
One to help with the bulb; he or she will be the "participant observer"
One to do the statistics to be sure that the resulting bulb change was not by chance.
One to write up the observations.
One to apply for a grant for a follow-up study.

Old Apr 9th, 2014, 12:48 PM   #14
Lord Of The Persians

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adomoose View Post
Don't apologise. I actually only warmed to Nadal in the past year or so. Before I thought he was a robotic tool. I love the fact that we all have favs in common but also players we dislike that others like. I don't get Vika and Serena and know a few are fans here but also respect their achievements.

The "Moose" is my partner's nickname and after being together for so long (17 years ) friends started calling us that instead of Ado and Moose and it stuck.
Nawww that is the sweetest thing I've heard all day (which admittedly is not saying very much because I spent most of it playing Scrabble with my grandparents). But still

Old Apr 9th, 2014, 12:57 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adomoose View Post

My first year at Uni was a doing a degree majoring in Sociology and Comms. I finished with a Business degree
Our common experience just goes to show that, contrary to common belief, there is life after studying sociology. The surprising thing is that the ultimate outcome seems to be that we are all drawn to Sam fandom (I would have thought that the attraction would be far stronger for psych majors)

Quote:
I'd never even considered the world of sociology based humour before now:
This would be surely one of the richest veins in humour if it wasn't for the fact that most people have no idea what sociology is