Sammy '14 Cheering Thread! (1) - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread

Old Oct 23rd, 2013, 07:16 AM   #1
country flag PinkTape

PinkTape has much to be proud of PinkTape has much to be proud of PinkTape has much to be proud of PinkTape has much to be proud of PinkTape has much to be proud of PinkTape has much to be proud of PinkTape has much to be proud of PinkTape has much to be proud of PinkTape has much to be proud of PinkTape has much to be proud of PinkTape has much to be proud of
Sammy '14 Cheering Thread! (1)

SAMANTHA STOSUR CHEERING THREAD!

SINGLES RANKING: #20 (2485PTS)

STOSUR'S 2014 SCHEDULE AND RESULTS:

WEEK 1 - HOPMAN CUP (EXB) (#18)
T1 - L to. E.Bouchard (#32) 4-6 6-2 6-3
T2 - L to. F.Pennetta (#31) 6-4 6-4
T3 - L to. A.Radwanska (#5) 3-6 6-4 6-3

WEEK 2 - HOBART - [1](#18)
R1 - def. Madison Brengle (#150) .. 6-7(4) 6-1 7-6(5)
R2 - def. Kristina Mladenovic (#55) .. 6-4 2-6 7-6(7)
QF - def. [8] Bojana Jovanovski (#36) .. 6-3 6-2
SF - L to. [7] Klara Zakopalova (#35) .. 6-3 6-2

WEEK 3+4 - AUSTRALIAN OPEN - [17](#18)
R1 - def. Klara Zakopalova (#37) .. 6-3 6-4
R2 - def. Tsvetana Pironkova (#107) .. 6-2 6-0
R3 - L to. [14] Ana Ivanovic (#14) .. 6-7(10) 6-4 6-2

WEEK 6 - FED CUP (EXB) vs. Russia (#16)
T1 - def. Veronika Kudermetova (#650) .. 6-4 6-0
T3 - def. Victoria Kan (#158) .. 6-2 6-3

WEEK 7 - DOHA - [12](#16)
R1 - def. Marina Erakovic (#50) .. 6-4 6-2
R2 - L to. Jana Cepelova (#82) .. 6-4 4-6 6-1

WEEK 8 - DUBAI - (#17)
R1 - L to. Annika Beck (#55) .. 1-6 6-1 6-4

WEEK 10 - HONG KONG (EXB) - March 3 vs. Li Na
T1 - def. Li Na (#2) .. 6-4 6-3

WEEK 10+11 - INDIAN WELLS - [16](#17)
R2 - def. Francesca Schiavone (#43) .. 6-2 6-3
R3 - L to. Flavia Pennetta (#21) .. 6-4 3-6 6-1

WEEK 12+13 - MIAMI - [16](#17)
R2 - def. Kiki Bertens (#126) .. 6-3 6-2
R3 - L to. Coco Vandeweghe (#108) .. 5-7 7-5 7-5

WEEK 14 - CHARLESTON - [8](#20)
R2 - def. Yaroslava Shvedova (#59) .. 6-3 5-7 6-1
R3 - L to. Lucie Safarova (#27) .. 6-3 4-6 4-6

2014 RANKING DETAILS:

RANKING BREAKDOWN | ............. RED = COUNTED TOWARDS RANKING PTS

WEEK 1 - HOPMAN CUP (EXB) ....................
WEEK 2 - HOBART ................. SF ..... 110
WEEK 3 - AUSTRALIAN OPEN ........ R3 ..... 130

WEEK 6 - FED CUP (EXB) .......................
WEEK 7 - DOHA ................... R2 ...... 60
WEEK 8 - DUBAI .................. R1 ....... 1

WEEK 10 - INDIAN WELLS .......... R3 ...... 65
WEEK 12 - MIAMI ................. R3 ...... 65

WEEK 14 - CHARLESTON ............ R3 ...... 60

----------------------------------------------

WEEK 16 - FED CUP (EXB) ......................
WEEK 17 - STUTTGART ............. R1 ....... 1

WEEK 19 - MADRID ................ R1 ....... 5
WEEK 20 - ROME .................. QF ..... 225
WEEK 21 - FRENCH OPEN ........... R3 ..... 160

WEEK 25 - EASTBOURNE ............ R2 ...... 60
WEEK 26 - WIMBLEDON ............. R3 ..... 160

WEEK 30 - STANFORD .............. R1 ....... 1
WEEK 31 - CARLSBAD .............. WN ..... 470
WEEK 32 - TORONTO ............... R3 ..... 125
WEEK 33 - CINCINATTI ............ R3 ..... 125

WEEK 35 - US OPEN ............... R1 ....... 5

WEEK 39 - TOKYO ................. R3 ..... 125
WEEK 40 - BEIJING ............... R1 ....... 5
WEEK 41 - OSAKA ................. WN ..... 280
WEEK 42 - MOSCOW ................ FN ..... 320

WEEK 44 - SOFIA ................. FN ..... 220

Haven't quit being a Stosur Fan yet!

Ashleigh Barty - Casey Dellacqua - Jarmila Gajdosova - Venus Williams - Laura Robson - Svetlana Kuznetsova

Last edited by PinkTape : Apr 12th, 2014 at 05:43 AM.
PinkTape is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Oct 23rd, 2013, 08:05 AM   #2
country flag stromatolite

stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Sammy's Aussie Summer Swing 2014

Sam's confirmed for Hobart? That's great! Chance to win a first title on home soil

This is a pretty good schedule for her I think.

Brisbane and Sydney have sucked balls for her the last few years, so really good to avoid them I think. Hopman should be fun and Hobart as well I think.

If she can just get a couple of wins under her belt in Melbourne, who knows what she could do there? Love to see her at least make the second week for a change.

Let's hope the Russians send the same team to Hobart as they are sending to Calgiari next week. In any case it's great that Sam will already have matches on the courts prior to the tie.

I am cautiously optimistic that Sam will have a good Aussie summer for a change
stromatolite is online now View My Blog!  
Old Oct 23rd, 2013, 09:02 AM   #3
country flag SilverPersian

SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute

The good thing is that her schedule almost guarantees a degree of match toughness that she's lacked in previous years, regardless of what happens. She's had two great tournaments at Osaka and Moscow (both singles and doubles), and at least three matches in Sofia next week. Six guaranteed matches at Hopman Cup, at least one (hopefully more in Hobart). You'd *think* all that court time would put her in a solid position to have a decent AO, and with two more matches for the Fed Cup she should be in a positive position moving on to the Middle East. Plus, there's a good chance she might play some doubles with Sveta or Zhang at the AO, and maybe Hobart

This is how things are going to work and I don't care what anybody says
Stanislas Wawrinka|Ryan Harrison|Andy Murray

Last edited by SilverPersian : Oct 23rd, 2013 at 09:30 AM.
SilverPersian is offline View My Blog!  
Old Oct 23rd, 2013, 10:25 AM   #4

stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute

^Wow SP, good to see you pissing in the faces of the jinxing gods. I'm sure they'll be so flummoxed by this that they'll crawl back into their hole and stay there until Sam is well and truly out of the country

Agree about the match toughness, but the only thing I wonder is whether this has been Sam's problem at the AO. She seemed to be cruising along really nicely this year when, from one point to the next, all the old doubts resurfaced and hit her in the face.

Having more matches under her belt should help to some extent if that happens again, but I have the feeling that she's going to be very vulnerable for the first couple of rounds no matter what she does to prepare. If she can win two or three matches in Melbourne I think she'll be fine, although obviously by that point in the draw she can expect to meet some pretty serious opponents. But losing to (say) Vika in R4 or QF would be a pretty acceptable way to leave Melbourne compared to recent years.
Old Oct 24th, 2013, 06:14 AM   #5

It occurred to me that a far bigger factor for Sam's Aussie prospects next year might be that she will be playing at home without DT as her coach for the first time since becoming a top player (which paradoxically was when her home stage miseries began).

It's really hard to say how that will pan out. I can't help feeling that it was the breakup that caused her meltdown against Duval in NY. On the other hand, the last few weeks she has been playing with a freedom, confidence and steeliness that we rarely saw in the last couple of years under Dave's coaching.

Thoughts anyone?
Old Oct 24th, 2013, 06:36 AM   #6
country flag Ado.

Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold

I try not to anticipate or predict Sam's success or failures during Oz series because I always over estimate how well she will do and it only ends in tears.

However, I like that she is trying something completely new next year with HC and Hobart. Add to this that there will be no Dave, any failure will rest solely on her brain malfunctioning as opposed to match fitness/coaching strategy/scheduling.

Either way, brace yourself for a roller coaster ride of emotions in true Sammy way.
Ado. is online now View My Blog!  
Old Oct 25th, 2013, 05:42 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adomoose View Post
I try not to anticipate or predict Sam's success or failures during Oz series because I always over estimate how well she will do and it only ends in tears.

However, I like that she is trying something completely new next year with HC and Hobart. Add to this that there will be no Dave, any failure will rest solely on her brain malfunctioning as opposed to match fitness/coaching strategy/scheduling.

Either way, brace yourself for a roller coaster ride of emotions in true Sammy way.
I know exactly what you mean Ado. Tbh, although I am allowing myself a little bit of optimism, it's a very cautious brand of optimism. I know she can easily bomb out like she did last year.

That said, the more I think about it, the more I'm convinced that playing without DT as her coach will make a big difference. The most obvious changes have already happened. Within a couple of weeks of sacking Dave she announced that she would play HC. Now she's skipping the second big premier to play an MM as her only other AO lead up event.

I don't think these are coincidences. Dave was a good friend to Sam, but he was also a very strict taskmaster, with pretty rigid ideas about what she should or shouldn't do. Part of that seemed to be that she should always pit herself against the top players, despite the fact that many others were (for want of a better word) whoring their way to a higher ranking by winning pissant titles against weak fields. He also seemed to have very specific theories about the nature of Sam's mental issues that I sometimes found a bit dubious. For example, for a time at least, he seemed to believe that talking up her chances at the AO was a good way to force her to confront her demons.

Of course there's no way of knowing how this will pan out. Maybe Dave was right, and Sam will discover that all the old problems are still there, only now she doesn't have Dave in her corner to help her. That was what happened in NY. I have a hunch that that was strictly a temporary thing, due to the trauma of the separation being so fresh, but time will tell whether that's the case.

Last edited by stromatolite : Oct 25th, 2013 at 07:03 AM.
Old Nov 22nd, 2013, 11:50 AM   #8
country flag Ben.

Ben. has a reputation beyond repute Ben. has a reputation beyond repute Ben. has a reputation beyond repute Ben. has a reputation beyond repute Ben. has a reputation beyond repute Ben. has a reputation beyond repute Ben. has a reputation beyond repute Ben. has a reputation beyond repute Ben. has a reputation beyond repute Ben. has a reputation beyond repute Ben. has a reputation beyond repute

Been ages since I've posted in here. Anyway since Sam has already worked out what events she'll play going into AO 2014, I think it is smart of her to play the Hopman Cup and then Hobart. She's guaranteed plenty of match practice at the HC with at least 6 matches (3 singles & 3 mixed) and the last time she played HC (2010), she went on to reach the 2nd week of the AO. Then playing Hobart she won't have to face a Top 10 or Top 20 player so early in the draw whereas if she chose Brisbane or/and Sydney, she would risk facing a top player early in the draw & get knocked out.

With this schedule as well as a new coach on board, I'm optimistic at this point that she'll have a good Aussie summer. But knowing Sam and her recent history of dealing with the pressure of playing in Australia and her usual ups and downs, I'm aware that things may not work out the way I want them to be. For me, Sam making the 2nd week of the AO would exceed my expectations to be honest.

So fingers crossed that Sam has a successful Aussie summer. What I know is that I want her to do well, which I'm sure you fans of here can concur with.
Ben. is offline View My Blog!  
Old Nov 22nd, 2013, 12:15 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben. View Post
Been ages since I've posted in here. Anyway since Sam has already worked out what events she'll play going into AO 2014, I think it is smart of her to play the Hopman Cup and then Hobart. She's guaranteed plenty of match practice at the HC with at least 6 matches (3 singles & 3 mixed) and the last time she played HC (2010), she went on to reach the 2nd week of the AO. Then playing Hobart she won't have to face a Top 10 or Top 20 player so early in the draw whereas if she chose Brisbane or/and Sydney, she would risk facing a top player early in the draw & get knocked out.

With this schedule as well as a new coach on board, I'm optimistic at this point that she'll have a good Aussie summer. But knowing Sam and her recent history of dealing with the pressure of playing in Australia and her usual ups and downs, I'm aware that things may not work out the way I want them to be. For me, Sam making the 2nd week of the AO would exceed my expectations to be honest.

So fingers crossed that Sam has a successful Aussie summer. What I know is that I want her to do well, which I'm sure you fans of here can concur with.
I concur fully. And welcome back to Sam's forum!

I think you have given a very good summary of the situation Sam faces in Aus next year. Her brief period of flying solo seems to worked well for her, and she seems to be in a more positive frame of mind than I've seen from her for quite a while. Her decision to play HC and Hobart is a sign that she's thinking clearly and making smart choices, whereas for a lot of the period when she was with DT she often seemed to put unnecessary pressure on herself by always playing the big tourneys with the strongest fields.

Between us I think Sam really needs a good Aussie summer to kick start her comeback, but I don't think she is putting any real pressure on herself to do so. Which ironically will probably help. But like you said, with Sam in Australia you just never know.
Old Nov 22nd, 2013, 12:41 PM   #10
country flag Ben.

Ben. has a reputation beyond repute Ben. has a reputation beyond repute Ben. has a reputation beyond repute Ben. has a reputation beyond repute Ben. has a reputation beyond repute Ben. has a reputation beyond repute Ben. has a reputation beyond repute Ben. has a reputation beyond repute Ben. has a reputation beyond repute Ben. has a reputation beyond repute Ben. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by stromatolite View Post
I concur fully. And welcome back to Sam's forum!

I think you have given a very good summary of the situation Sam faces in Aus next year. Her brief period of flying solo seems to worked well for her, and she seems to be in a more positive frame of mind than I've seen from her for quite a while. Her decision to play HC and Hobart is a sign that she's thinking clearly and making smart choices, whereas for a lot of the period when she was with DT she often seemed to put unnecessary pressure on herself by always playing the big tourneys with the strongest fields.

Between us I think Sam really needs a good Aussie summer to kick start her comeback, but I don't think she is putting any real pressure on herself to do so. Which ironically will probably help. But like you said, with Sam in Australia you just never know.
Thanks I looked in the forum every now & then, mostly for ranking updates, but not posting a lot. Yeah I've been somewhat lazy posting in here tbh plus the trolls and idiots on this forum I've got no time for.

And you make a good observation about Sam not having a coach and parting ways with Dave Taylor. As good as a coach he was I'm actually glad she dumped him, went coachless post USO and not rush the process of hiring a new coach after she parted with him. Thinking about it now, making these coaching changes means that she wants to improve her game and find a fresh perspective from Maclagen who won't be like Dave. And I believe her having an average season & getting injured in 2013 could be a blessing in disguise in a sense that she won't have as much pressure come 2014 when she was in the Top 10 for 3 years in a row.
Ben. is offline View My Blog!  
Old Nov 22nd, 2013, 02:12 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben. View Post
Thanks I looked in the forum every now & then, mostly for ranking updates, but not posting a lot. Yeah I've been somewhat lazy posting in here tbh plus the trolls and idiots on this forum I've got no time for.

And you make a good observation about Sam not having a coach and parting ways with Dave Taylor. As good as a coach he was I'm actually glad she dumped him, went coachless post USO and not rush the process of hiring a new coach after she parted with him. Thinking about it now, making these coaching changes means that she wants to improve her game and find a fresh perspective from Maclagen who won't be like Dave. And I believe her having an average season & getting injured in 2013 could be a blessing in disguise in a sense that she won't have as much pressure come 2014 when she was in the Top 10 for 3 years in a row.
I think Dave was really good for Sam for the first few years they were together, but they should have cut their ties earlier. Tbh that was Sam's fault, and strange as it may sound talking about a woman of her age, I suspect that she lacked the maturity to do so until quite recently.

It's really hard to say for sure when looking at these things from the outside, but I have the feeling that for a long time it was very easy for her to just let Dave do most of the thinking for her. I often had the feeling when watching her play that she was doing what she thought she should be doing (i.e. what Dave told her to do) rather than doing what she felt was right. I had the same feeling when listening to a lot of her interviews: it kind of sounded mechanical and rehearsed.

This year she has has a lot of ups and downs to be sure, but in her better matches I have had much more the feeling that Sam was working things out for herself on court rather than just playing out some set moves that were decided in advance. And her interviews seemed much more thoughtful as well.

I think the calf injury early in the year was a decisive moment for Sam, much like her Lyme disease was for her years ago. She probably realized that she didn't have an unlimited amount of time left, and that if she still wanted to achieve big things she would have to make tough choices. It can't have been easy sacking Dave, but she did it, and I admire her to bits for having the guts to do so.

But of course all this could be just a fabrication in the deluded mind of a hopeful fan.
Old Nov 26th, 2013, 07:05 PM   #12

Hobart entry list:

1. Stosur
2. Flipkens
3. Vesnina
4. Pavlyuchenkova
5. Pennetta
6. Barthel
7. Zakopalova
8. Jovanovski
9. Rybarikova
10. Knapp
11. Peng
12. Robson
13. Svitolina
14. Erakovic
15. V.Williams
16. Meusburger
17. Voegele
18. Wickmayer
19. Zhang
20. Zheng
21. Puig
22. Mladenovic
23. Riske (#57)

The final direct entry spot is reserved for someone who is still playing in one of the previous weeks tournaments. Or something. I'm just repeating what spiceboy posted, but I didn't understand.

Anyhow, not too bad a field for Sam. A 1 in 4 chance of meeting Flavia in the QF, with Venus obviously the most dangerous floater. A few other potentially tricky players, but I'd fancy Sam's chances against most of them.
Old Nov 26th, 2013, 07:52 PM   #13
country flag bertisonline

bertisonline has much to be proud of bertisonline has much to be proud of bertisonline has much to be proud of bertisonline has much to be proud of bertisonline has much to be proud of bertisonline has much to be proud of bertisonline has much to be proud of bertisonline has much to be proud of bertisonline has much to be proud of bertisonline has much to be proud of bertisonline has much to be proud of

There are some obvious differences compared to last year, at the same time:

1. Her mind is fresh, with recent hardware, and a renewed connection the way she likes with fans (Mental)
2. She has no (known) physical issue and is not coming away from any emergency surgery (Physical)
3. She has solved the DT issue and has even not touched the benefits of working with Miles yet (Tactical)

From that perspective, I feel her spot is good.

Note : AO will always be in Oz. But reading some papers re: Edberg these days reminds me AO was on grass a few years ago.
B.

Last edited by bertisonline : Nov 26th, 2013 at 08:38 PM.
bertisonline is offline View My Blog!  
Old Nov 27th, 2013, 08:59 AM   #14

^If they moved it back onto grass, maybe the two negatives would turn into a positive and GOAT Sam would return

I agree that things are looking up for Sam, but it's early days, anything can still happen.
Old Nov 30th, 2013, 10:12 PM   #15
country flag SilverPersian

SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute

https://twitter.com/forehandcrazy/st...07064121040896

Taylor working with Tomljanovic?
Stanislas Wawrinka|Ryan Harrison|Andy Murray

SilverPersian is offline View My Blog!  
Closed Thread