Tracy Austin: Serena's improbable run to end - Page 3 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 25th, 2007, 07:40 PM   #31
country flag sfselesfan

sfselesfan has a reputation beyond repute sfselesfan has a reputation beyond repute sfselesfan has a reputation beyond repute sfselesfan has a reputation beyond repute sfselesfan has a reputation beyond repute sfselesfan has a reputation beyond repute sfselesfan has a reputation beyond repute sfselesfan has a reputation beyond repute sfselesfan has a reputation beyond repute sfselesfan has a reputation beyond repute sfselesfan has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Tracy Austin: Serena's improbable run to end

I call bullshit! My corrections in red.

SERVE
It’s tough to choose between them. Williams has a big serve and she has used it well this tournament, but Sharapova’s serve is much improved. I don't see a decided edge for either of them on the serve.
EDGE: WILLIAMS

RETURN OF SERVE
Williams used to have one of the best returns in the game, but it is not quite "on" yet. And I'm clearly blind because I've had my head too far up Maria's ass.
Sharapova is returning a lot better than she used to, and she is being smarter about choosing when to go for her returns too.

VOLLEYS
Sharapova really does not volley unless she is fairly sure of hitting a winner, so she makes a higher percentage of a the volleys she hits. Williams, though, is a more natural volleyer.

FOREHAND
Both Williams and Sharapova have incredibly powerful forehands, but both are also prone to mistakes on that wing.
I think Williams’ lack of matches puts her at a slight disadvantage here so, on current form, she loses out to Sharapova.
EDGE: EVEN

BACKHAND
Right here, right now, Sharapova’s backhand is a safer shot than Williams’ is, so I back the Russian here too...other than the fact that she can only hit it to the back of the court and hasn't realized how to angle it yet.
So many shots are about confidence, and in three months’ time, when Williams has a few more matches under her belt, then she is going to be stronger in so many areas, including this one.

FITNESS AND ATHLETICISM
I would split these categories into two. I think Williams is the more agile mover and is the better athlete naturally, but there is no question that Sharapova is in much better shape...except that she's melts in the heat.
EDGE ATHLETICISM: WILLIAMS

EDGE FITNESS: EVEN

STRATEGY
This is not going to be a strategic contest, it is going to be a battle of serves and power hitting. It is going to be about who executes their shots better on the day. Maria has become the new mindless ball basher and Serena has learned how to wait patiently for an opportunity to go for it. She can also use angle on her shots to construct a point.
EDGE: SERENA

MENTAL TOUGHNESS
These are two of the strongest players mentally in the women’s game. Neither of them ever gives up and they have that champion’s ability to compete well even if they aren’t necessarily playing well. Um...I'm hallucinating.
EDGE: SERENA

MY PICK
SERENA IN STRAIGHT SETS

Can someone explain to me in a rational manner how Sharapova can top Serena in ANY ONE of these categories?

SF
Advertisement

Old Jan 25th, 2007, 07:43 PM   #32
country flag serenafan08

serenafan08 has a reputation beyond repute serenafan08 has a reputation beyond repute serenafan08 has a reputation beyond repute serenafan08 has a reputation beyond repute serenafan08 has a reputation beyond repute serenafan08 has a reputation beyond repute serenafan08 has a reputation beyond repute serenafan08 has a reputation beyond repute serenafan08 has a reputation beyond repute serenafan08 has a reputation beyond repute serenafan08 has a reputation beyond repute

What Sharapova has Tracy been watching? Not the one who served seven double faults yesterday? Anyone who's watched this Australian Open knows that Serena is capable of beating anybody. She moves twenty times better than Sharapova, so that will help her stay in rallies. The serve is lengths and bounds better than Sharapova's, and they're even on groundstrokes. This match will go three sets, and I think if she's serving well Serena can pull it out.

5 AO ('03, '05, '07, '09, '10), 2 FO ('02, '13)
5 Wimbledons ('02, '03, '09, '10, '12), 5 USO ('99, '02, '08, '12, '13)
serenafan08 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 07:43 PM   #33
country flag sfselesfan

sfselesfan has a reputation beyond repute sfselesfan has a reputation beyond repute sfselesfan has a reputation beyond repute sfselesfan has a reputation beyond repute sfselesfan has a reputation beyond repute sfselesfan has a reputation beyond repute sfselesfan has a reputation beyond repute sfselesfan has a reputation beyond repute sfselesfan has a reputation beyond repute sfselesfan has a reputation beyond repute sfselesfan has a reputation beyond repute

NBC's job = promote Sharapova.

SF
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 07:47 PM   #34
country flag iWill

iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah this match is tough to for sure for me atleast only because Sharapova hasnt been playing her best really at all and in the SF she had a glimpse of it and Serena hasnt played her best yet either but overall Serena has been executing her game to me a little better than Maria but Serena hasnt played as many tough opponents as Maria has so it'll be tough I think if Maria wins it will bei straight sets and Serena would be in 3. I'm rooting for Serena to win but this match to me is anyones at this point......if Serena were to win she has to come out there feeling no pressure and she shouldnt.... and Maria well she'll have all the pressure being the considered favorite in this match with her match-play and ranking so if Sharapova can manage not being the underdog for once in the final (she hasnt been the favorite in all 2 of her titles) and play her game with no pressure shes got the title for sure
iWill is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 07:48 PM   #35
country flag hingisGOAT

hingisGOAT has a reputation beyond repute hingisGOAT has a reputation beyond repute hingisGOAT has a reputation beyond repute hingisGOAT has a reputation beyond repute hingisGOAT has a reputation beyond repute hingisGOAT has a reputation beyond repute hingisGOAT has a reputation beyond repute hingisGOAT has a reputation beyond repute hingisGOAT has a reputation beyond repute hingisGOAT has a reputation beyond repute hingisGOAT has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfselesfan View Post
bla bla bla

Can someone explain to me in a rational manner how Sharapova can top Serena in ANY ONE of these categories?

SF
Although I agree that Sharapova's game is very incomplete and one-dimensional, she is much more penetrating and consistent from both her forehand and backhand.
In tennis history, no top player has suffered more beat-downs in big matches than Vulturepova T1 R16 2-6 1-6 AM | T1 SF0-6 0-6 LD | T1 F 3-6 1-6 MH | AO F 1-6 2-6 SW | T1 R16 1-6 1-6 SW | RG SF 1-6 1-6 AI | Wimbledon SF 2-6 2-6 VW | T1 QF 2-6 2-6 VW | T1 F 4-6 1-6 VA | T1 QF 1-6 3-6 SW | T1 F 1-6 4-6 VA | T1 SF 1-6 2-6 Woz | AO F 3-6 0-6 VA | T1 F 2-6 3-6 VA | T1 QF 1-6 3-6 SW | Olympics F 0-6 1-6 SW | T1 F 3-6 1-6 VA
hingisGOAT is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 07:48 PM   #36
Cybelle Darkholme

Cybelle Darkholme has a brilliant future Cybelle Darkholme has a brilliant future Cybelle Darkholme has a brilliant future Cybelle Darkholme has a brilliant future Cybelle Darkholme has a brilliant future Cybelle Darkholme has a brilliant future Cybelle Darkholme has a brilliant future Cybelle Darkholme has a brilliant future Cybelle Darkholme has a brilliant future Cybelle Darkholme has a brilliant future Cybelle Darkholme has a brilliant future

Well, I don't agree with Tracy, but Sharapova does have an equal chance at winning in my opinion.

Sharapova will be the toughest opponent yet and Serena has problems with her even when she is at full form.

It will be a battle and I hope Serena comes through. However, win or lose she has already won in my opinion just by making the final.
The WTA Women of Wonder Featuring....The Goddess: Venus Williams The Glamazon: Serena Williams The Lioness: Jennifer Capriati The High Priestess: Monica Seles The Saint: Kim Clijsters The Phoenix: Chanda Rubin The Bon Vivant: Amelie Mauresmo The Titan: Lindsay Davenport The Courtesan: Anna Kournikova The Exile: Martina Hingis The Sorceress: Anatasia Myskina The Minx: Maria Sharapova
Cybelle Darkholme is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 07:50 PM   #37
country flag Hingiswinsthis

Hingiswinsthis has much to be proud of Hingiswinsthis has much to be proud of Hingiswinsthis has much to be proud of Hingiswinsthis has much to be proud of Hingiswinsthis has much to be proud of Hingiswinsthis has much to be proud of Hingiswinsthis has much to be proud of Hingiswinsthis has much to be proud of Hingiswinsthis has much to be proud of Hingiswinsthis has much to be proud of Hingiswinsthis has much to be proud of

well as much as i would like Serena hold up that trophy in the end, Sharapova i think will take this one (and yes, more $$$ and more envy will follow).

but i disagree with Tracy....this might be a 3 set match...a tough one too for the winner.
Hingiswinsthis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 07:52 PM   #38
country flag Bounty Hunter

Bounty Hunter has a brilliant future Bounty Hunter has a brilliant future Bounty Hunter has a brilliant future Bounty Hunter has a brilliant future Bounty Hunter has a brilliant future Bounty Hunter has a brilliant future Bounty Hunter has a brilliant future Bounty Hunter has a brilliant future Bounty Hunter has a brilliant future Bounty Hunter has a brilliant future Bounty Hunter has a brilliant future

Good ole Tracey .......... I'm so gald I don't have to listen her until the US Open...

*** Svetlana Kuznetsova - Victoria Azarenka - Ana Ivanovic - Shahar Peer ***
Bounty Hunter is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 07:52 PM   #39
country flag KBdoubleu

KBdoubleu has a reputation beyond repute KBdoubleu has a reputation beyond repute KBdoubleu has a reputation beyond repute KBdoubleu has a reputation beyond repute KBdoubleu has a reputation beyond repute KBdoubleu has a reputation beyond repute KBdoubleu has a reputation beyond repute KBdoubleu has a reputation beyond repute KBdoubleu has a reputation beyond repute KBdoubleu has a reputation beyond repute KBdoubleu has a reputation beyond repute

Has Tracy Austin ever not picked Sharapova?
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 08:03 PM   #40
country flag MisterMan

MisterMan has a reputation beyond repute MisterMan has a reputation beyond repute MisterMan has a reputation beyond repute MisterMan has a reputation beyond repute MisterMan has a reputation beyond repute MisterMan has a reputation beyond repute MisterMan has a reputation beyond repute MisterMan has a reputation beyond repute MisterMan has a reputation beyond repute MisterMan has a reputation beyond repute MisterMan has a reputation beyond repute

That's a HELLofa prediction from Tracy.
She'll look like such as asswipe if she's wrong.

I give Tracy credit for her bravery.
MisterMan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 08:25 PM   #41
country flag KishG

KishG is a name known to all KishG is a name known to all KishG is a name known to all KishG is a name known to all KishG is a name known to all KishG is a name known to all KishG is a name known to all KishG is a name known to all KishG is a name known to all KishG is a name known to all KishG is a name known to all

Serena Williams is ten times more Mentally tough than Maria. Another thing Tracy Austin has got wrong.
KishG is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 08:28 PM   #42
country flag mckyle.

mckyle. has a reputation beyond repute mckyle. has a reputation beyond repute mckyle. has a reputation beyond repute mckyle. has a reputation beyond repute mckyle. has a reputation beyond repute mckyle. has a reputation beyond repute mckyle. has a reputation beyond repute mckyle. has a reputation beyond repute mckyle. has a reputation beyond repute mckyle. has a reputation beyond repute mckyle. has a reputation beyond repute

serena was supposed to be out in the 3rd round, remember? oh wait she's in the final! trust me, serena isn't losing this one.
mckyle. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 08:39 PM   #43
country flag tennisjunky

tennisjunky has a reputation beyond repute tennisjunky has a reputation beyond repute tennisjunky has a reputation beyond repute tennisjunky has a reputation beyond repute tennisjunky has a reputation beyond repute tennisjunky has a reputation beyond repute tennisjunky has a reputation beyond repute tennisjunky has a reputation beyond repute tennisjunky has a reputation beyond repute tennisjunky has a reputation beyond repute tennisjunky has a reputation beyond repute

don't agree with her on her breakdown, but do think masha will win. probably in three.

SHARAPOVA- who's up next for a beatdown? SERENA- underestimate her if you want, it's your funeral! SHAHAR-
official 'good fella' of the maria mafia
tennisjunky is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 08:43 PM   #44
country flag jazar

jazar has much to be proud of jazar has much to be proud of jazar has much to be proud of jazar has much to be proud of jazar has much to be proud of jazar has much to be proud of jazar has much to be proud of jazar has much to be proud of jazar has much to be proud of jazar has much to be proud of jazar has much to be proud of

masha will finally end serena's run in an easy straight sets win
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 08:52 PM   #45
country flag Denise4925
Her Grace, The Duchess of Williamsburg

Denise4925 has a reputation beyond repute Denise4925 has a reputation beyond repute Denise4925 has a reputation beyond repute Denise4925 has a reputation beyond repute Denise4925 has a reputation beyond repute Denise4925 has a reputation beyond repute Denise4925 has a reputation beyond repute Denise4925 has a reputation beyond repute Denise4925 has a reputation beyond repute Denise4925 has a reputation beyond repute Denise4925 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
SERVE
It’s tough to choose between them. Williams has a big serve and she has used it well this tournament, but Sharapova’s serve is much improved. I don't see a decided edge for either of them on the serve.
Even??!! Serena has like 65 aces in the tournament. That's not counting the big serves that force the errors. Maria is no where near Serena's service game.

Quote:
RETURN OF SERVE
Williams used to have one of the best returns in the game, but it is not quite "on" yet.
Sharapova is returning a lot better than she used to, and she is being smarter about choosing when to go for her returns too.
EDGE: SHARAPOVA
This may be more even, but I'd give Serena the slight edge here, because she has not forgotten how to step up into the baseline and smack a return when she needs to.

Quote:
MENTAL TOUGHNESS
These are two of the strongest players mentally in the women’s game. Neither of them ever gives up and they have that champion’s ability to compete well even if they aren’t necessarily playing well.
Again even??!! There is no question who has the edge here. I'm not saying that Maria is not mentally tough, but I don't think she's more mentally tough than Serena. Serena double faulted twice in the tie break last night and came back on the next serve and hit a stinging return of serve winner.

Quote:
STRATEGY
This is not going to be a strategic contest, it is going to be a battle of serves and power hitting. It is going to be about who executes their shots better on the day.
Again, with the even!!! No way no how. Serena has a plan to beat Maria (hope it works). She lent it to Venus a couple of years ago. Maria's plan is to hit the ball really hard and without her father's help, she won't know what to do when that doesn't work.

I think there's a little bias here on Tracey's part. I'm not saying that Maria will not win, I'm just saying that Tracey's going a bit overboard to prove her point.

Last edited by Denise4925 : Jan 25th, 2007 at 08:59 PM.
Denise4925 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote