Tracy Austin: Serena's improbable run to end - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 25th, 2007, 06:46 PM   #1
country flag CanIGetAWhat
♥ All-American Reject

CanIGetAWhat has a reputation beyond repute CanIGetAWhat has a reputation beyond repute CanIGetAWhat has a reputation beyond repute CanIGetAWhat has a reputation beyond repute CanIGetAWhat has a reputation beyond repute CanIGetAWhat has a reputation beyond repute CanIGetAWhat has a reputation beyond repute CanIGetAWhat has a reputation beyond repute CanIGetAWhat has a reputation beyond repute CanIGetAWhat has a reputation beyond repute CanIGetAWhat has a reputation beyond repute
Tracy Austin: Serena's improbable run to end

Serena's improbable run to end

Unseeded American will fall to top-seeded Sharapova in Aussie final

Coming off very limited play in 2006, Serena Williams has proved her doubters wrong by reaching the Australian Open women's singles final, but she won't win the title, predicts Tracy Austin of MSNBC.com.

COMMENTARY
By Tracy Austin
MSNBC contributor
Updated: 16 minutes ago

Tracy Austin

MELBOURNE, Australia - Serena Williams has given tennis fans an Australian Open to remember.

Entering the first major of 2007 ranked as world No. 81 due to having played in only four events in 2006, the 25-year-old American has defied the odds to reach her 10th Grand Slam final.

She has taken out five seeded players, and she says she hasn't even played well yet Down Under.

There's no question Serena has exceeded expectations, but she is going to have her work cut out for her when she takes on top-seeded Maria Sharapova in the women's singles final.

Sharapova is going to be a huge step up in class for Williams -- too big a step in my opinion as I see the Russian taking the title.

Sharapova in storming form
There’s no doubt that Sharapova has elevated her game in the last few months. She is also a more confident player than she was before she won her second major at last year's U.S. Open.

The 19-year-old was already a great player on the attack, but her defense has gotten better and she has been serving well on big points.

Overall there are more facets to her game than there used to be, and you can see all the little pieces falling into place as Sharapova improves.

Williams’ semifinal opponent Nicole Vaidisova is a stablemate of Sharapova’s at Nick Bollettieri’s tennis academy in Florida, and she has a similar game to Sharapova's but with one big difference -- Sharapova is much better at that game than is Vaidisova.

Sharapova is a tough cookie and she won’t be intimidated the way Vaidisova was against Williams. She was not intimidated by Williams when she was 17 and playing in the Wimbledon final, and she certainly is not going to be intimidated now as a seasoned player who has won two majors.

Sharapova hits the ball so early, so deep and so well on a consistent basis. I think she is going to rush Williams and therefore test her conditioning a lot more than it has been tested so far.

At her peak, Williams moved so well it was impossible to rush her, but Sharapova is going to put her on her back foot over and over again.
Let's break down their games.

SERVE
It’s tough to choose between them. Williams has a big serve and she has used it well this tournament, but Sharapova’s serve is much improved. I don't see a decided edge for either of them on the serve.
EDGE: EVEN

RETURN OF SERVE
Williams used to have one of the best returns in the game, but it is not quite "on" yet.
Sharapova is returning a lot better than she used to, and she is being smarter about choosing when to go for her returns too.
EDGE: SHARAPOVA

VOLLEYS
Sharapova really does not volley unless she is fairly sure of hitting a winner, so she makes a higher percentage of a the volleys she hits. Williams, though, is a more natural volleyer.
EDGE: WILLIAMS

FOREHAND
Both Williams and Sharapova have incredibly powerful forehands, but both are also prone to mistakes on that wing.
I think Williams’ lack of matches puts her at a slight disadvantage here so, on current form, she loses out to Sharapova.

BACKHAND
Right here, right now, Sharapova’s backhand is a safer shot than Williams’ is, so I back the Russian here too.
So many shots are about confidence, and in three months’ time, when Williams has a few more matches under her belt, then she is going to be stronger in so many areas, including this one.

FITNESS AND ATHLETICISM
I would split these categories into two. I think Williams is the more agile mover and is the better athlete naturally, but there is no question that Sharapova is in much better shape.
EDGE ATHLETICISM: WILLIAMS

EDGE FITNESS: SHARAPOVA
STRATEGY
This is not going to be a strategic contest, it is going to be a battle of serves and power hitting. It is going to be about who executes their shots better on the day.

MENTAL TOUGHNESS
These are two of the strongest players mentally in the women’s game. Neither of them ever gives up and they have that champion’s ability to compete well even if they aren’t necessarily playing well.

MY PICK
SHARAPOVA IN STRAIGHT SETS

© 2007 MSNBC Interactive

CanIGetAWhat is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 25th, 2007, 06:49 PM   #2
country flag Reuchlin
Registered 1

Reuchlin has a reputation beyond repute Reuchlin has a reputation beyond repute Reuchlin has a reputation beyond repute Reuchlin has a reputation beyond repute Reuchlin has a reputation beyond repute Reuchlin has a reputation beyond repute Reuchlin has a reputation beyond repute Reuchlin has a reputation beyond repute Reuchlin has a reputation beyond repute Reuchlin has a reputation beyond repute Reuchlin has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Tracy Austin: Serena's improbable run to end

I don't agree with most of these...

Serena's serve is better, and she is more mentally tougher. I would also give her the edge in the forehand dept. I also think that Serena is fitter than everyone thinks.
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 06:49 PM   #3
country flag Paneru

Paneru has a reputation beyond repute Paneru has a reputation beyond repute Paneru has a reputation beyond repute Paneru has a reputation beyond repute Paneru has a reputation beyond repute Paneru has a reputation beyond repute Paneru has a reputation beyond repute Paneru has a reputation beyond repute Paneru has a reputation beyond repute Paneru has a reputation beyond repute Paneru has a reputation beyond repute

What a surprise!

Forget that Serena throughout this tournament has
been doing nearly everything better than Maria, but
what does that matter, right?

Whatever.

Do your thing Rena!
Paneru is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 06:50 PM   #4
country flag s_j

s_j has a reputation beyond repute s_j has a reputation beyond repute s_j has a reputation beyond repute s_j has a reputation beyond repute s_j has a reputation beyond repute s_j has a reputation beyond repute s_j has a reputation beyond repute s_j has a reputation beyond repute s_j has a reputation beyond repute s_j has a reputation beyond repute s_j has a reputation beyond repute

Oh come off it. Serena has not done everything better this tournament than Maria. That's rubbish.

But I think I'd go along with the main body of what Tracy is predicting.
YEC Champion 2004 - London 2012 Olympics Silver Medallist
s_j is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 06:51 PM   #5
Pureracket

Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute

Even if Maria Shapova does win this match, Tracey Austin should lose her job when she gave the serving and forehand edge to Sharapova.

OFFICIAL BLACKSMITH OF THE ROYAL COURT

I don't mind straight people as long as they act gay in public!
Pureracket is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 06:51 PM   #6
country flag hingis-seles

hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the jinx, Tracy.
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 06:51 PM   #7
country flag Justine-credible

Justine-credible is a glorious beacon of light Justine-credible is a glorious beacon of light Justine-credible is a glorious beacon of light Justine-credible is a glorious beacon of light Justine-credible is a glorious beacon of light Justine-credible is a glorious beacon of light Justine-credible is a glorious beacon of light Justine-credible is a glorious beacon of light Justine-credible is a glorious beacon of light Justine-credible is a glorious beacon of light Justine-credible is a glorious beacon of light

i agree with most of what tracy is saying, however, serena can push maria to 3 sets, but serena may jsut run out of steam at the final hurdle, which would be a shame as it would be a horrible end to an outstanding women's Australian Open.

Good luck to both of them. It's nice being neutral for a Slam final for the first time since August 2005.

French Open 2003, US Open 2003, Australian Open 2004, French Open 2005 and French Open 2006 [/color] French Open 2007[/color] US Open 2007
ALLEZ!
Justine-credible is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 06:51 PM   #8
country flag Dasha_

Dasha_ has a reputation beyond repute Dasha_ has a reputation beyond repute Dasha_ has a reputation beyond repute Dasha_ has a reputation beyond repute Dasha_ has a reputation beyond repute Dasha_ has a reputation beyond repute Dasha_ has a reputation beyond repute Dasha_ has a reputation beyond repute Dasha_ has a reputation beyond repute Dasha_ has a reputation beyond repute Dasha_ has a reputation beyond repute

Well, it's a wrong pick!
Among other, Sharapova has better return od serve?
And, don't know about Sharapova, but Serena knows better than just power hitting. She will came out with some smart strategy, imo.
"I dream of people watching me holding up my third Wimbledon trophy... Most of all I dream of being a good person to all that are inspired by me I dream of having girls, women, boys, men being fond of not only what I have done on the tennis court, or on the big screen or what I design but I dream of what people think of me as a person.
I dream that people think of me as a giving person as a person that
loves life and is fun to be around." - Serena

Old Jan 25th, 2007, 06:52 PM   #9
country flag I<3Myskina

I<3Myskina is a name known to all I<3Myskina is a name known to all I<3Myskina is a name known to all I<3Myskina is a name known to all I<3Myskina is a name known to all I<3Myskina is a name known to all I<3Myskina is a name known to all I<3Myskina is a name known to all I<3Myskina is a name known to all I<3Myskina is a name known to all I<3Myskina is a name known to all

Well, whatever she says, the winner is serena!
I<3Myskina is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 06:53 PM   #10
country flag Dasha_

Dasha_ has a reputation beyond repute Dasha_ has a reputation beyond repute Dasha_ has a reputation beyond repute Dasha_ has a reputation beyond repute Dasha_ has a reputation beyond repute Dasha_ has a reputation beyond repute Dasha_ has a reputation beyond repute Dasha_ has a reputation beyond repute Dasha_ has a reputation beyond repute Dasha_ has a reputation beyond repute Dasha_ has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justine-credible View Post
It's nice being neutral for a Slam final for the first time since August 2005.
Well, it will not last long. I believe she will be in RG final, for start...
"I dream of people watching me holding up my third Wimbledon trophy... Most of all I dream of being a good person to all that are inspired by me I dream of having girls, women, boys, men being fond of not only what I have done on the tennis court, or on the big screen or what I design but I dream of what people think of me as a person.
I dream that people think of me as a giving person as a person that
loves life and is fun to be around." - Serena

Old Jan 25th, 2007, 06:54 PM   #11
country flag SAEKeithSerena

SAEKeithSerena has a reputation beyond repute SAEKeithSerena has a reputation beyond repute SAEKeithSerena has a reputation beyond repute SAEKeithSerena has a reputation beyond repute SAEKeithSerena has a reputation beyond repute SAEKeithSerena has a reputation beyond repute SAEKeithSerena has a reputation beyond repute SAEKeithSerena has a reputation beyond repute SAEKeithSerena has a reputation beyond repute SAEKeithSerena has a reputation beyond repute SAEKeithSerena has a reputation beyond repute

tracy, you're a complete and utter douche bag

16-Time Grand Slam Champion.

2013 Titles: Brisbane, Sony Open (Miami), Family Circle Cup, Madrid, Rome, 16th SLAM-THE FRENCH OPEN, Bastad, Roger's Cup

2013 Record: (60-4)
SAEKeithSerena is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 06:57 PM   #12
country flag tennisfan5

tennisfan5 has a brilliant future tennisfan5 has a brilliant future tennisfan5 has a brilliant future tennisfan5 has a brilliant future tennisfan5 has a brilliant future tennisfan5 has a brilliant future tennisfan5 has a brilliant future tennisfan5 has a brilliant future tennisfan5 has a brilliant future tennisfan5 has a brilliant future tennisfan5 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasha_ View Post
Well, it's a wrong pick!
Among other, Sharapova has better return od serve?
And, don't know about Sharapova, but Serena knows better than just power hitting. She will came out with some smart strategy, imo.
Well, according to serena herself, she is a tennis player, not a thinker
tennisfan5 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 06:58 PM   #13
country flag Justine-credible

Justine-credible is a glorious beacon of light Justine-credible is a glorious beacon of light Justine-credible is a glorious beacon of light Justine-credible is a glorious beacon of light Justine-credible is a glorious beacon of light Justine-credible is a glorious beacon of light Justine-credible is a glorious beacon of light Justine-credible is a glorious beacon of light Justine-credible is a glorious beacon of light Justine-credible is a glorious beacon of light Justine-credible is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasha_ View Post
Well, it will not last long. I believe she will be in RG final, for start...
yes i think so too, its nice to see us justine and serena fans getting along, i did think serena would make a GS final this year but not this early! i was thinking wimbledon. anyway, good luck to both of them for saturday's big showdown.

French Open 2003, US Open 2003, Australian Open 2004, French Open 2005 and French Open 2006 [/color] French Open 2007[/color] US Open 2007
ALLEZ!
Justine-credible is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 06:58 PM   #14
country flag RenaSlam.

RenaSlam. has a reputation beyond repute RenaSlam. has a reputation beyond repute RenaSlam. has a reputation beyond repute RenaSlam. has a reputation beyond repute RenaSlam. has a reputation beyond repute RenaSlam. has a reputation beyond repute RenaSlam. has a reputation beyond repute RenaSlam. has a reputation beyond repute RenaSlam. has a reputation beyond repute RenaSlam. has a reputation beyond repute RenaSlam. has a reputation beyond repute

She said this about nearly everyone of Serena's opponents so far...
__W00.01.05.07.08__USO00.01__

Step.
RenaSlam. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 06:58 PM   #15
country flag darrinbaker00
Serena's #1 Hater

darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute

I must disagree with Tracy on serving and strategy. Sharapova's been serving like crap the whole tournament, and if she keeps that up, she's dead. Also, Serena knows she can't outhit and outrun too many people right now, so she's been using her opponents' weaknesses against them (Shahar Peer's lack of big-match experience, Vaidisova's tendency to overhit). Since Sharapova's dad has to literally sit on his hands during her matches now, her ability to make changes on the fly has been taken away. Tracy Austin has probably forgotten more tennis than I currently know, but I think she's wrong on those two analyses.
"He who finds a wife finds a good thing, and obtains favor from the Lord." -- Proverbs 18:22

"Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard." -- Herb Brooks

"A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life." -- Muhammad Ali
darrinbaker00 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote