Anna articles and interviews - Page 4 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 12th, 2008, 03:42 PM   #46
country flag BUBI
chaky yo booty

BUBI has a reputation beyond repute BUBI has a reputation beyond repute BUBI has a reputation beyond repute BUBI has a reputation beyond repute BUBI has a reputation beyond repute BUBI has a reputation beyond repute BUBI has a reputation beyond repute BUBI has a reputation beyond repute BUBI has a reputation beyond repute BUBI has a reputation beyond repute BUBI has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Anna articles and interviews

Maybe she is tired of answering questions about it
BUBI is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 12th, 2008, 07:46 PM   #47
country flag Sharapower8

Sharapower8 has a brilliant future Sharapower8 has a brilliant future Sharapower8 has a brilliant future Sharapower8 has a brilliant future Sharapower8 has a brilliant future Sharapower8 has a brilliant future Sharapower8 has a brilliant future Sharapower8 has a brilliant future Sharapower8 has a brilliant future Sharapower8 has a brilliant future Sharapower8 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlox View Post
What's strange is that Anna said "We actually didn't want anyone to know about that but the same day it was everywhere on the internet and in the newspapers,''

But her dad was on tv a few hours afterwards taking off his hat and showing the marks on his forehead.
I understand her reaction... She's getting tired of that

Sharapova.Vaidisova.Vesnina.Bondarenko.
Wozniacki.Kirilenko.Goerges.Petkovic. Azarenka

Sharapower8 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13th, 2008, 07:38 PM   #48
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

A humiliating lesson in speed

World No.6 Anna Chakvetadze gave Rohit Brijnath a fleeting taste of how fast modern tennis is

— Photo: AFP

POWER GAME: Russian Anna Chakvetadze, though not one of the bigger hitters, gave glimpses of what hard hitting is all about.
Sometimes the only way to knowledge is through the road of humiliation. Or so I recently discovered when briefly facing off against a 128-pound girl who fired shots that looked to me as if they should be declared illegal under the arms act. In other words, I played a couple of points against world No.6 Anna Chakvetadze, just to get a fleeting taste of one thing: what does fast mean in professional sport.
Everything in sport, as the Australian Open will demonstrate again, is incredibly fast, but mostly we can’t tell. To say Andy Roddick produced a first serve at 246 kmh is meaningless, for it is a number impossible to relate to.
Only if you put your face to the netting, about 15 feet behind the batsman, do you have even a vague idea of how quick Brett Lee is. Only if you strap on layers of armour and stand in the goalmouth can you tell the velocity of a hockey penalty corner. Otherwise, we have to rely on television, except this brilliant box fails to translate speed for us. Which is why, I hesitantly asked the sporting and lightweight Chakvetadze to play a few shots with me. And it is telling. The sound of the ball coming off her racket is pure, almost musical in a way, not that ugly “kerplunk” that comes off mine, and her strokes, polished for hours, are effortless and clean.
Then she is asked, do you mind just beating the %$#@ out of my serve. Just smack your return, Miss, burn the fuzz off the ball. So twice she swats back serves and only this much the mind remembers: The ball was a hissing blur. It passed the net and like some guided missile dipped towards my ankles. It was upon me before my body had arranged itself for a response, or my mind had contemplated a reply. It was frighteningly fast.
Apparently, not really. Because Chakvetadze explains she was hitting at only “60 per cent” of her capacity. Then she adds, grinning: “And I’m not even a big hitter.”
Biggest hitter

Who is the biggest hitter brings a somewhat surprising response from her.
The answer is a Williams, but not the Williams you think. “Venus,” she says. But adds, “Serena is close behind.”
Men hit even harder, like Fernando Gonzales who arrives from a different planet of speed than Chakvetadze, and it is incredible that athletes can move this fast, think this fast, create this fast, respond with millimetre-perfect replies this fast. Federer is the most astonishing for what he does is akin to doing embroidery on skates. More and more the divide between the professional athlete and the amateur sportsperson is growing: the equipment is similar but they play a sport we are unfamiliar with.
The speed of the game plays hell with linespeople, for where a skidding ball lands is hard to tell. Marat Safin defended the quality of officials this week, saying: “The game is too fast for the people to see, so you can’t say the people are getting worse and worse — it’s just the game is getting faster and faster. It’s impossible to see some of the balls.”
Yet, in this blurry world, Chakvetadze believes there is room for players like her, who do not exist purely on speed. When the Williams’ ruled tennis, she says, the game was all “just power.” Now, she points to the Top 10 list as evidence of change, for she rests besides competitors who are powerful but not purely power players, such as Jelena Jankovic (No. 3) and Marion Bartoli (No. 10). Even Justine Henin (No.1), whose shots have surprising sting and heft, is aided greatly by her versatility.
Still, Chakvetadze must compensate for a lack of voltage by playing what she calls “smart” tennis. It means tinkering with pace, adjusting spin, staying consistent, displaying variety, counter-punching. Her repertoire is fine enough to reach the top 10, but some might say it will be difficult to triumph at a slam with a game so unmuscular.
Perhaps, but for one writer whose serve she dismissed with a yawn, the Russian remains the biggest hitter on the planet.
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13th, 2008, 09:43 PM   #49
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

Anna and the kingmaker When tennis stars Maria Sharapova and Anna Chakvetadze came to our shores for an exhibition match, former Singapore bodybuilder Rano Izhar and his brothers provided security for them. He has now forged an alliance with Chakvetadze, as he tells ARUN RAJBy Arun RajJanuary 14, 2008 THE government has always urged Singaporeans to be effectively bilingual.
One man took it a step further and reaped the rewards.
When Rano Izhar Rahmat spoke in Russian to Djambuli Chakvetadze to remind him of his hotel room number, he may have drawn surprised laughter and shock from the father of tennis superstar Anna Chakvetadze.
But, there is little doubt that he made an impact with them.
The women's world No. 6 has asked former national bodybuilder Rano to train her in the gymnasium during winter this year.
Rano, 43, represented Singapore as a national bodybuilder and was runner-up at the 2004 Musclemania World - a bodybuilding competition held annually in the United States.
He and his brothers were recently employed to provide security coverage for Chakvetadze and Maria Sharapova when the duo were in town for an exhibition match.
Rano says he found himself attached to looking after the former rather than the latter.
'Maria had her own boundaries and did not really talk to any of us,' said Rano.
'Even when I helped with her luggage, only her coach acknowldged me with thanks.
'Anna is really nice and her father was always forgetting his room number.
'So I told him what his room number was in Russian and he had a good laugh, probably humoured by this brown-skinned man speaking his language,' said Rano, laughing.
Mr Chakvetadze needn't have been surprised. Rano's wife, Anya Kulish, is a Russian.
Rano explained that he picked up the language when he went to Russia last year to visit his in-laws. Kulish's mother does not speak a word of English.
'When you are there, everyone speaks Russian and I started with the basic stuff like 'hello' and 'how are you' and went on from there,' Rano said.
Coming from a family of 11 brothers and three sisters, Rano and his siblings have been trained in the traditional Malay martial art of silat by their father, Rahmat Mohd Shah.
'From strength training for silat, we did bicep workouts with barbells, dumbells and push-ups.
'We knew little about muscle and body building then, but that's how it all started,' said Rano.
He has a doctorate in exercise and sports science from Honolulu University, and he uses his knowledge - coupled with his experience in traditional massage that he learnt from his father - to help alleviate muscle aches and strains.
MASSAGE
'Once, I saw Djambuli struggling to lift his arm, and I asked him if he wouldn't mind me massaging it,' said Rano.
'He agreed, and I went to work on it. And after three days of massaging him, he had managed to lift it up straight, vertically.
'He was so thankful.'
Rano also accompanied Chakvetadze when she decided to pop down Orchard Road for shopping.
Although she could speak English, having Rano, with whom she could converse in Russian, around seemed to put her at ease.
They chatted about Chakvetadze's game and Rano recommended that she hit the gym to strengthen her muscles.
'She has great technique and skill, but if she could add power to her game, she could better challenge for a Grand Slam,' reasoned Rano.
The closest Chakvetadze had come to winning a Grand Slam title was when she reached the semi-finals of last year's US Open, before losing to Svetlana Kuznetsova.
It was no surprise then that Chakvetadze took Rano's recommendations seriously.
And he could turn out to be the kingmaker who helped Chakvetadze achieve her Grand Slam dreams.
Chakvetadze has invited him to personally train her during the Russian winter season.
'I usually head up to Russia in the summer with my wife to see her family, but Anna and her father asked if I could come in winter this time,' said Rano.
'I'm trying to arrange my schedule to allow for that as I really like them,' said Rano.
'It is my passion and forte to help someone achieve his or her objectives and goals.'
And if Chakvetadze stars in her first Grand Slam final this season, you know who she'll have to thank.

Old Jan 15th, 2008, 05:57 PM   #50
country flag goldenlox

Anna Chakvetadze is playing through many emotions. ( / Associated Press)

Sixth-seed Chakvetadze has better reason to be glum, but because from the looks of her long and tried face while reflecting on her family's mugging at the hands of a group of robbers in the their Moscow home last December, she's a long way away from a full emotional recovery.

"Because I'm not at home, I'm trying to think about tennis and trying to forget it because if I think about it more I wouldn't be mentally ready to play," said Chakvetadze after she advanced to the second round when her opponent, Andrea Petkovic, retired with a right knee injury in the first game of their contest. "I feel better now. I'm OK and I'm trying not to think about what happened with me and my family."
What happened was that five-to-six unknown people wearing masks burst into their suburban Moscow home, tied up the Chakvetadze family, robbed them of some $250,000 worth of valuables and cash, and left Anna with a left finger injury and her father Djambuli bruised and beaten. Her mother, Natalia, and her 9-year-old brother, Roman, weren't harmed
"It was [a] good thing we were all together because my father and I just came back from an exhibition that morning, otherwise my mother and little brother would have been at home alone and it could have been worse," Chakvetadze, who couldn't practice for a week because her hand was too sore to grip the racket when she tried to hit backhands.
Four of the thieves were caught a couple of weeks later, but not until after the Chavetadze's had to hire around-the-clock security and install a new alarm system. Anna says they are considering moving out of crime-ridden Moscow to somewhere else in Russia.
"You can't control these things," Chakvetadze said. "It can happen to everyone. But it happened to me and before I felt safe in my house and I found out I wasn't."
The 20-year-old Chakvetadze entered last year's Australian Open without such a high ranking, but as an attractive darkhorse, as she had a standout end to 2006. Had the robbery not have occurred, she may have been an obvious semifinal pick, because December should have afforded her an opportunity to right her ship and gets the kinks out of her game after a less than mediocre fall season.
But she's lacking play and isn't speaking with much conviction. Like many of the multitude of Russian players, Chakvetadze sports a tough exterior. She didn't grow wealthy, or have gobs of money thrown at her at some well-branded U.S. academy, and had to work extremely hard under trying circumstances to earn her place in the game.
But while it's possible that she could harden her shell and turn things around during the first week of the tournament, but she wasn't too convincing, saying she was lacking confidence. "I didn't really have any preparation for the season," she said. "I need matches."

Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 09:11 PM   #51
country flag Gdog

Gdog is a glorious beacon of light Gdog is a glorious beacon of light Gdog is a glorious beacon of light Gdog is a glorious beacon of light Gdog is a glorious beacon of light Gdog is a glorious beacon of light Gdog is a glorious beacon of light Gdog is a glorious beacon of light Gdog is a glorious beacon of light Gdog is a glorious beacon of light Gdog is a glorious beacon of light

Thank you for posting the stories. Anna has had a turbulent last couple of months. With her results at the AO it is clear that it is still affecting her. Hopefully, she will be able to overcome it soon though or she is going to take a severe ratings hit.

**Retired Favorites**
Monica Seles - Martina Hingis
Gdog is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:30 PM   #52
country flag saniapower

saniapower is a splendid one to behold saniapower is a splendid one to behold saniapower is a splendid one to behold saniapower is a splendid one to behold saniapower is a splendid one to behold saniapower is a splendid one to behold saniapower is a splendid one to behold saniapower is a splendid one to behold saniapower is a splendid one to behold saniapower is a splendid one to behold saniapower is a splendid one to behold

Anna come back strongly
Old Feb 10th, 2008, 09:54 PM   #53
country flag goldenlox

Anna Chakvetadze's wins Paris title to raise her record in finals to 7-0.
1 of 2

Anna Chakvetadze spends some of her spare time with her nose stuck in detective novels, but when it comes constructing the plot lines of tournament finals the Russian baseliner has little interest in Whodunnits. Chakvetadze crafts consistent climaxes: when she reaches finals, she wins.
Deleting the drama from the decisive set with a key service break, the top-seeded Chakvetadze created closure again today with a 6-3, 2-6, 6-2 victory over seventh-seeded Agnes Szavay in the Open Gaz de France final in Paris.
Chakvetadze, who will rise to No. 6 in the world when the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour rankings are released on Monday, owns a 7-0 record in finals.
The pivotal point of the match came with Chakvetadze clinging to a 3-2 lead in the final set. Serving to level the set, Szavay fell victim to Chakvetadze's unerring ground strokes. She broke for a 4-2 lead and never looked back in winning three straight games to collect her third Tour title at the Tier II level or higher. Chakvetadze previously won the Tier I Moscow title in 2006 and took the Tier II title with a victory over Sania Mirza in last summer's final.
"The 3-2 game in the third set was really important, because I was able to break her for 4-2 - I knew that wasn't the end and she would keep fighting, but I felt I was playing well also and knew I needed to keep concentrating and I could win," Chakvetadze said. "I had a good first set as well, but I made so many errors and had so many problems in the second set. The crowds were great though - I think they helped both of us play well today."
The 20th-ranked Szavay started the season with successive losses to players ranked outside the top 100 in the opening round of the Gold Coast and Australian Open, but she rebounded with a solid week in Paris that saw her beat second-seeded Daniela Hantuchova, 7-6(4), 6-1 in the quarters and then fight off fourth-seeded Elena Dementieva, 6-3, 1-6, 7-5 to reach the final.
In their lone prior match at the 2007 French Open, Chakvetadze played the pressure points better to earn a 6-4, 6-7(1), 6-4.
Cleaning up her game considerably in the third set, Chakvetadze minimized her errors and gave Szavay little to work with in the baseline rallies.
"The third set was a really great set; I think we were both playing really well," Szavay said. "She just wasn't giving me any unforced errors and she was playing better in the middle of the set, especially when she broke for 4-2. The 3-2 game was the most important game of the match, I think."

Old Feb 26th, 2008, 08:19 PM   #54
country flag goldenlox

Chakvetadze still haunted by robbery

Tue 26 Feb, 03:31 PM

DUBAI (Reuters) - Russian Anna Chakvetadze is still haunted by the robbery at her Moscow house late last year during which she was tied up with her parents and injured.

"I never thought something like that would happen to me," she told reporters on Tuesday, her voice still trembling at the memory. "It was like something I had seen in the movies."

Her father, Djambuli, a wealthy businessman, was targeted, and the world number six was so shaken by the experience that she cancelled the pre-season training she had arranged.

The family now have bodyguards living in the house.

Chakvetadze's form suffered afterwards and she lost her opening match at the Sydney International before going out in the third round at the Australian Open but she got back on track this month by winning the Paris indoor event.

"I just couldn't sleep the first three nights in my room," said Chakvetadze, who beat Pole Agnieszka Radwanska 6-2 2-6 6-4 to reach the second round of the Dubai Championships on Tuesday.

"Then it was okay but I wanted to live in another place in Moscow, to change location, but my parents didn't really want to. So now we have bodyguards in the house and alarms, everything you can do.

"I don't think it's strange to live with bodyguards, because sometimes you live in the house and you think that you are safe, but you are not so you have to do something."

Although she was not in the right mental state in January to play, Chakvetadze insists she did the right thing by travelling to Australia.

"It was difficult because I didn't have any preparation for the season because I was supposed to go to Asia to practise outdoors with my hitting partner and my fitness coach," she said.

"But I was happy I was in Australia playing the tournaments because I wanted to play very badly. I like it there and I also think a Grand Slam tournament is very important."

Sixth-seeded Chakvetadze faces compatriot Dinara Safina in the second round in Dubai.

Old Feb 28th, 2008, 12:06 PM   #55
country flag Sharapower8

Sharapower8 has a brilliant future Sharapower8 has a brilliant future Sharapower8 has a brilliant future Sharapower8 has a brilliant future Sharapower8 has a brilliant future Sharapower8 has a brilliant future Sharapower8 has a brilliant future Sharapower8 has a brilliant future Sharapower8 has a brilliant future Sharapower8 has a brilliant future Sharapower8 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlox View Post
"I just couldn't sleep the first three nights in my room,"

Old Mar 8th, 2008, 11:39 PM   #56
country flag PMRD44

PMRD44 is a glorious beacon of light PMRD44 is a glorious beacon of light PMRD44 is a glorious beacon of light PMRD44 is a glorious beacon of light PMRD44 is a glorious beacon of light PMRD44 is a glorious beacon of light PMRD44 is a glorious beacon of light PMRD44 is a glorious beacon of light PMRD44 is a glorious beacon of light PMRD44 is a glorious beacon of light PMRD44 is a glorious beacon of light

Good news! Local authorities have confirmed that they have apprehended seven men involved with the home invasion and robbery of Anna's home. The men are also suspected in dozens of other robberies in the Moscow area.

http://www.themoscowtimes.com/storie...03/07/013.html
PMRD44 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9th, 2008, 06:26 PM   #57
country flag Sharapower8

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMRD44 View Post
Good news! Local authorities have confirmed that they have apprehended seven men involved with the home invasion and robbery of Anna's home. The men are also suspected in dozens of other robberies in the Moscow area.

http://www.themoscowtimes.com/storie...03/07/013.html
Finally !! Great

Old Mar 9th, 2008, 09:37 PM   #58
Petkorazzi

Petkorazzi has a reputation beyond repute Petkorazzi has a reputation beyond repute Petkorazzi has a reputation beyond repute Petkorazzi has a reputation beyond repute Petkorazzi has a reputation beyond repute Petkorazzi has a reputation beyond repute Petkorazzi has a reputation beyond repute Petkorazzi has a reputation beyond repute Petkorazzi has a reputation beyond repute Petkorazzi has a reputation beyond repute Petkorazzi has a reputation beyond repute

Petkorazzi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10th, 2008, 01:23 AM   #59
country flag RsaibotD

RsaibotD is a splendid one to behold RsaibotD is a splendid one to behold RsaibotD is a splendid one to behold RsaibotD is a splendid one to behold RsaibotD is a splendid one to behold RsaibotD is a splendid one to behold RsaibotD is a splendid one to behold RsaibotD is a splendid one to behold RsaibotD is a splendid one to behold RsaibotD is a splendid one to behold RsaibotD is a splendid one to behold

great news
RsaibotD is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2008, 07:07 PM   #60
country flag 03 RuleTheCourt

03 RuleTheCourt is a splendid one to behold 03 RuleTheCourt is a splendid one to behold 03 RuleTheCourt is a splendid one to behold 03 RuleTheCourt is a splendid one to behold 03 RuleTheCourt is a splendid one to behold 03 RuleTheCourt is a splendid one to behold 03 RuleTheCourt is a splendid one to behold 03 RuleTheCourt is a splendid one to behold 03 RuleTheCourt is a splendid one to behold 03 RuleTheCourt is a splendid one to behold 03 RuleTheCourt is a splendid one to behold

Sure is nice to hear indeed