Leaving the 1900s with a roar-The 90s - Page 2 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Sep 26th, 2002, 07:16 AM   #16
louloubelle

louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future
I have many memories of Zina. Her first win over Navratilova at the US Open in the 80's where she led 6-4 5-0, lost that lead and the set. Martina saved 8 match points but Zina somehow won the 3rd 7-5. Her coach John Wilkinson said that day, you saw everything of Zina. Usually she tries to keep her anxieties to herself but that day she let loose. We saw the self-imposed calmness, the very nervous play and ectascy when she finally won.

Pity she only reached one slam final. Her best chance of another final was at the 1990 Aus Open. Gaby Sabatini the no. 2 seed hurt her ankle against Claudia Porwik in an early rnd which opened the draw for her. Facing Mary Jo Fernandez in the qtrs (the winner would have definitely reached the final as Porwik was in the semis) Zina sped to a 6-1 first set lead, pulled back by Mary Jo in the second and then got herself in a 'play-it-safe' mentality where she pushed to pull around refusing to go for anything. It was a very hot day and Mary Jo was obviously wilting in the heat but Zina's nervousness kept her in it. Zina just couldn't open those shoulders and Mary Jo snuck away with a 9-7 win. Not to harp on it, but it was a familar story to Zina sometimes.

Zina was also smacked by Gaby 6-0 6-0 at a US clay court tournie and then they met up weeks later at Wimbledon. Zina won her first game, 1-0, and preceded to do a lap of the court to celebrate her first game. This seemed to relax her, and she seemed more determined than Gaby and won the match.

Who can forget Zina's re-Reebock stage, when she appeared in all those LOUD outfits.
Advertisement

Old Sep 26th, 2002, 08:48 AM   #17
country flag irma

irma has disabled reputation
I hated her buttmoving so much in wimbledon 1990, you don't wanna know. she must be glad, I was not around her during that semi. I guess I had kicked it

(no the fact that she beat steffi had nothing to do with it
well maybe a little )
To the river so deep
We all end in the ocean
We all start in the streams
We're all carried along
By the river of dreams
In the middle of the night
irma is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6th, 2002, 11:58 AM   #18
country flag JonBcn
Tart with a Heart

JonBcn has a reputation beyond repute JonBcn has a reputation beyond repute JonBcn has a reputation beyond repute JonBcn has a reputation beyond repute JonBcn has a reputation beyond repute JonBcn has a reputation beyond repute JonBcn has a reputation beyond repute JonBcn has a reputation beyond repute JonBcn has a reputation beyond repute JonBcn has a reputation beyond repute JonBcn has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by Rollo
1994 Wimbledon. This was an entertaining match. I'd suggest it to anyone looking for a good mid 90s tape. I only wish I had Mcneil's dramatic matches with Graf and Martinez on tape!
Rollo;

I recently went back to my parents in the UK and picked up some of my old tapes, amongst them two 1994 Wimby tapes - the first has Graf/McNeil, Sanchez/Garrison and Navratilova/Novotna, and the second has Martinez/Navratilova, Fernandez & Zvereva / Sanchez & Novotna, plus a bit of Sampras/Ivanisevic.
If you'd like to borrow them, you're more than welcome!
Old Oct 24th, 2002, 10:58 AM   #19
Gandalf

Gandalf is a name known to all Gandalf is a name known to all Gandalf is a name known to all Gandalf is a name known to all Gandalf is a name known to all Gandalf is a name known to all Gandalf is a name known to all Gandalf is a name known to all Gandalf is a name known to all Gandalf is a name known to all Gandalf is a name known to all
Do you remember the '98 US'Open semis?. I think that all Hingis, Davenport and Novotna could finish the tounament at number 1. Hingis had to win her SF; Novotna had to be in the Final against Venus or win against Davenport; and Lindsay had to win against Novotna. Then Davenport beat Venus in the first semi, and Novotna was 4-1 up with two breaks in the third set against Hingis when she chocked horribly. (I didn't see the final of WB'93, but this one was pretty bad). She was missing overheads, volleys, and basically couldn't keep a ball in the court.

Then Hingis won 6-4 and lost the final to Davenport. She kept the number 1, but lost it some weeks later when she lost to van Roost in Filderstadt. For Jana, she was never again that near of the number 1 spot.
Gandalf is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24th, 2002, 11:23 AM   #20
country flag irma

I "saw" that match on a grey screen, because I had no card for sky(and dsf was showing something else)
but from what I heard it was as worse as wimbledon 93! It's weird, because you would have expected that having that missing wimbledon title from her back, would have made her more relaxed.
To the river so deep
We all end in the ocean
We're all carried along
By the river of dreams
Old Oct 24th, 2002, 11:41 AM   #21
Gandalf

Gandalf is a name known to all Gandalf is a name known to all Gandalf is a name known to all Gandalf is a name known to all Gandalf is a name known to all Gandalf is a name known to all Gandalf is a name known to all Gandalf is a name known to all Gandalf is a name known to all Gandalf is a name known to all Gandalf is a name known to all
I think that once you have a bad choke 'under your belt' you are more prone to repeat it, because you get more nervous when it starts, like saying 'not again THIS'. It's like when Gaby lost to MJF in RG'93 after leading 6-1, 5-1. They played again at the US'95, and Gaby jumped again to 6-1, 5-1. Then Mary Joe came back to 5-3 and Gaby looked SOOOO stressed out there....she had already lost to Kimiko that year in the Lipton semis after leading 6-1 5-1. Fortunately she was able to close the match at the US'Open.
Gandalf is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22nd, 2002, 01:50 PM   #22
country flag Mark43

Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold
I was cleaning out some of my 'moving boxes' in the garage and finally located my old video tape of Steffi Graf vs. Martina Navratilova in the 1991 US Open semifinals. What a match. Towards the end of the second set Martina had 34 winners and only 11 errors and about 6 aces. It was just lovely to watch. I think it was probably the best encounter between these wonderful players, much less error filled than the French '87 or US '86.

I think I have to revise my greatest ever list and put Martina back on top (she always flip flops with Steffi in my mind). She was 34 years old and playing like a mad woman. Just amazing.

Unfortunately I only have about 2 sets worth of action...I taped Elizabeth Taylor on Oprah over the final set! Was i crazy? I had just seen Taylor at Macy's in downtown San Francisco...she was on her 'White Diamonds' tour and I got a little carried away and just had to see her in person. Then i got a little more carried away and just had to tape her, over one of my favorite matches of all time. UGH. Oh well, the quality of the tape is horrible anyways. I lived at the top of the Berkeley hills and although I had cable I got a mixed signal for CBS from a local tower, so all the lines/images are ghosted.
Mark43 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22nd, 2002, 09:30 PM   #23
country flag Jippo McScally

Jippo McScally is a glorious beacon of light Jippo McScally is a glorious beacon of light Jippo McScally is a glorious beacon of light Jippo McScally is a glorious beacon of light Jippo McScally is a glorious beacon of light Jippo McScally is a glorious beacon of light Jippo McScally is a glorious beacon of light Jippo McScally is a glorious beacon of light Jippo McScally is a glorious beacon of light Jippo McScally is a glorious beacon of light Jippo McScally is a glorious beacon of light
Hi. Does anyone have any interview's/articles on seles' stabbing?
Jippo McScally is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6th, 2005, 05:57 PM   #24
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute
Bump----
Rollo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6th, 2005, 06:14 PM   #25
country flag alfajeffster

alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo
Graf was so dissatisfied with the match that an hour later she made an unusual gesture. She sent Rennae Stubbs, a fellow player and good friend, to Martina Navratilova's rented house, which adjoined the grounds of the All England Club, to deliver a message: Graf wanted to meet Navratilova in a private match later that afternoon. However, only Navratilova's coach, Craig Kardon, was at home. Navratilova, still pained by her 6-4, 6-4 loss to Novotna in the semifinals, had gone to play golf rather than watch the final.

Many observers, including Graf, had assumed that the 36-year-old Navratilova, a nine-time champion and the second seed this year, would make it to the final. "I'm disappointed she's not there," Graf said before the championship match.
Thanks for reminding me of this, Rollo. It didn't get much coverage at the time (or since) but it was a beautiful illustration of one of the things I like most about Steffi Graf- she always wanted to "get at" her opponents. Not too many champions displayed this. Some even went the other way and tried re-arranging their schedules in order to avoid getting beaten.
Old Sep 11th, 2005, 03:06 AM   #26
country flag raquel

raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfajeffster
Thanks for reminding me of this, Rollo. It didn't get much coverage at the time (or since) but it was a beautiful illustration of one of the things I like most about Steffi Graf- she always wanted to "get at" her opponents. Not too many champions displayed this. Some even went the other way and tried re-arranging their schedules in order to avoid getting beaten.
I am surprised Steffi, after winning Wimbledon, then wanted to play Navratilova hours later. Especially after the emotional rollercoaster that 1993 final was. I wonder what her motive was for doing that and if that was the only time she did it? She beat a worthy player in Novotna so it's not like Steffi would have felt she didn't earn her win or feel like she wasn't challenged and that only Martina was a real challenge to her on grass. If Martina had been home and not out, I wonder if she would have played Steffi. Would you take it as a compliment - Steffi saying "I won Wimbledon, but want to play you as you were the one supposed to be in the final" or be a bit bewildered and maybe even feel like Steffi was rubbing her nose in it - she beat Jana, Martina couldn't, and now she wants to beat Martina. Either way, probably a unique request from a Slam winner on the day she won.

raquel is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11th, 2005, 06:23 AM   #27
country flag irma

I thought Steffi asked it before the final and simply because she wanted to play Nav really bad!
I am pretty sure I read that Steffi was already sick a few hours after the final so I doubt she would feel like playing tennis that time! But maybe I am wrong and Steffi only got sick on sunday! (but then I read she got sick because she had taken too many painkillers because of her foot.)
To the river so deep
We all end in the ocean
We're all carried along
By the river of dreams
Old Sep 11th, 2005, 09:07 AM   #28
country flag Andy T

Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute
I find it odd that Steffi would want to do that in 93, when Martina was 36 and clearly well past her best.

*Science without Humanity *Knowledge without Character

*Politics without Principle *Commerce without Morality

*Worship without Sacrifice
Andy T is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11th, 2005, 09:30 AM   #29
country flag samn

samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy T
I find it odd that Steffi would want to do that in 93, when Martina was 36 and clearly well past her best.
My take on this is that the relationship between Graf and Navratilova was different in 1993 than it had been in the late 80s. In the 1987-89 period, Navratilova was evidently threatened by Graf's rise in the first part, and spent the second half trying to recapture the #1 ranking and win Wimbledon again. In 1990, Graf started having her own problems, and was lucky if she could sort out her own game. But by 1993, things had changed: Graf was starting to recapture her old form and put her family troubles behind her, and Navratilova' role in the top 5 had changed. She was still a consistent threat in any tournament she played, but she wasn't a contender for the top spot anymore. I believe that this changed the dynamic of their relationship somewhat.
Best left-right combination by a German (and that includes Max Schmeling): Steffi Graf. All she did in 1987 was knock Navratilova out of #1 and try to knock Evert out of the sport. (Mike Lupica in "The Best and Worst of Tennis in 1987", World Tennis)

"A couple of years ago, we nicknamed Steffi Graf's forehand 'Jaws'. And that music would go perfectly when she starts running in to the net, swarming on that little ball." (JoAnne Russell, during the 1988 Wimbledon final between Graf and Navratilova)
samn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8th, 2006, 08:08 PM   #30
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute
Anyone have a describtion/memories of the 1995 Wimbledon final? That's one recent classic I've never seen and, considering it's quality, rarely gets mentioned.
Rollo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote