~Ana's articles~ - Page 249 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Sep 13th, 2012, 12:42 AM   #3721
country flag Cajka

Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute
Re: ~Ana's articles~

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaviotabr View Post
I dont know.. We dont use that kind of grades here.

I've actually always wondered.. what does A mean? Here its just 0 to 10, each question in an exam is worth X ammount of points.. like 1 point or half a point.. and it adds up to 10, that being the maximum. At university there was the SS/MS/MM/MI/II kind of grades.. but it was like.. SS is 9 to 10, MS is 7 to 8,9, MM 5 to 6,9, MI 3 to 4,9, and II 0 to 2,9.
We have 1-5. 5 is the best grade. At uni, we have 5 -10, 10 is the best.

Anyway, A is excellent, B is very good, C is good, D is sufficient, F is insufficient.
ПАРТИЗАН ШАМПИОН!!!
Cajka is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 13th, 2012, 12:53 AM   #3722
country flag gaviotabr

gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajka View Post
We have 1-5. 5 is the best grade. At uni, we have 5 -10, 10 is the best.

Anyway, A is excellent, B is very good, C is good, D is sufficient, F is insufficient.
Thanks for the explanation! Isnt that a bit abstract? I mean.. what is excellent? If someone gets everything right in an exam, or can there be a mistake or two?

Anyway.. I was a very good student yes. But overall I wasnt too demanding or competitive about grades.. I was really into sports in school, playing a lot of tennis, a lot of soccer, and some handball.. so I'm sure I didnt get only As.

Making mistakes is human, repeating them is dumb.

What I write is my opinion, and my opinion only.
gaviotabr is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2012, 12:57 AM   #3723
country flag gaviotabr

gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute

We are getting a bit off topic, so to bring it back:

Quote:
Ana Ivanovic: B-plus: Her draw opened up with Caroline Wozniacki’s first-round exit — and yes, I’m not giving Woz a grade because, let’s face it, it feels cruel these days — but Ivanovic’s problem over the last few years has been more about her head than her game. So her ability to hold her nerve in the third set to defeat Sloane Stephens and make her first Slam quarterfinal since she won the 2008 French Open was great progress. Ivanovic has had to answer more than her share of questions about choking during the last four years. To her credit she has never brushed them off, instead giving thoughtful, heartfelt answers that would make Freud cry. Good on her for persevering.
http://tennis.si.com/2012/09/12/us-open-grades/

Old Sep 13th, 2012, 01:16 AM   #3724
country flag Cajka

Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute

It's not completely off topic. It's still about the grades.
ПАРТИЗАН ШАМПИОН!!!
Old Sep 13th, 2012, 01:20 AM   #3725
country flag gaviotabr

Quote:
Only realized it now..

Old Sep 13th, 2012, 01:22 AM   #3726
country flag The 2nd Law

The 2nd Law has a reputation beyond repute The 2nd Law has a reputation beyond repute The 2nd Law has a reputation beyond repute The 2nd Law has a reputation beyond repute The 2nd Law has a reputation beyond repute The 2nd Law has a reputation beyond repute The 2nd Law has a reputation beyond repute The 2nd Law has a reputation beyond repute The 2nd Law has a reputation beyond repute The 2nd Law has a reputation beyond repute The 2nd Law has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

FWIW I really love the debates that you two have, I wish I could contribute a bit more. My stance is probably in between the both of you, I sit on the fence too much
Old Sep 13th, 2012, 01:30 AM   #3727
country flag Cajka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane Ana View Post

FWIW I really love the debates that you two have, I wish I could contribute a bit more. My stance is probably in between the both of you, I sit on the fence too much
Thanks. What I like about Izzy is that she understands what debate means, so she doesn't get offended. You can not have a discussion if we all agree about everything. When it comes to sports, I argue with my boyfriend, my father, my friends. We often disagree. As long as people are not aggressive, it's fine. Being oversensitive is also an issue. My friend is a huge and oversensitive fedtard, you don't wanna mess with her.
ПАРТИЗАН ШАМПИОН!!!
Old Sep 13th, 2012, 01:51 AM   #3728
country flag gaviotabr

Quote:
Thanks. What I like about Izzy is that she understands what debate means, so she doesn't get offended. You can not have a discussion if we all agree about everything. When it comes to sports, I argue with my boyfriend, my father, my friends. We often disagree. As long as people are not aggressive, it's fine. Being oversensitive is also an issue. My friend is a huge and oversensitive fedtard, you don't wanna mess with her.
Agreed! Same about you!

Its just a debate.. there is no need to be ofended if there is no personal attack in it.. I like that we can just exchange opinions over any topic, even if we dont agree.. this is what a debate is all about. Its fun to show your point of view and see what others think about the same matter.

Old Sep 13th, 2012, 09:31 AM   #3729
country flag azdaja

azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
After horrible slump she had, saying that she slightly improved is kinda cruel. And those brackets are not that good. World #10 is still very far from #1, not much closer than #12 really. Marion has 600 points more than Ana, while Ana has 1335 points more than #20. Of course, #51 has 200 points more than #59. In that case, if you start the season as #59 and finish it as #51, it's a slight improvement, but the closer you are to top, it matters much more. Ana finished last season ranked #22. If she magically stays on #12, the slight improvement will be 10 ranking spots.
those brackets are completely useless and based on the decimal system and nothing else. the ranking is made for seeding purposes at torunaments, so the reeally relevant numbers are the ones that significantly influence your draws. and yes, it is much more difficult to go up the closer to the top you get. you can tournament whore your way to top 16 but after that it gets more difficult. mm tournaments won't get you into top 8. you can get there without beating any big player if you get lucky (see how kvitty got to a sf of rg this year) but tournaments like linz and bali are not very useful at this level anymore. they were very valuable when ana really was just a top 20 player.

it should also be noted that getting into top 10 is far more difficult this year than it was last year because top players are actually consistent. i remember all those threads in gm about the "threat" of shahar peer becoming a top 10 player. ana failed to get anywhere close to top 10 when the tour was a mess and you could get there pretty much without a really big win. she isn't going to get a free ride there now. yet in spite of the road getting more difficult she is now close to getting there.

if we can use the argument that a player was in a slump in order to diminish ana's accomplishments we can use this argument as well.

the improvement is not slight. plenty of positive things have happened this year for the first time in years. but you can always spin things and see everything negatively.

some of the posters in gm were actually very positive about ana saying that she has quietly worked her way up again and that's really the story.
azdaja is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th, 2012, 12:21 AM   #3730
country flag gaviotabr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtos07 View Post
In American schools/universities, grades are based like this:

A: 90-100%
B: 80-89%
C: 70-79%
D: 60-69%
F: Anything less than 60%

To be more specific, a B+ would be something like 87-89% and an A- would be 90-92% and so on.

Basically getting an A is great, B is good, C is average, D is below average and F is failing. Some professors may grade on a curve and change their grading scale by a couple of percentage points, but above is the standard grading system.
Thanks for the explanation Curtis. Now I understand it better.. I definitely had my share of Bs...

Old Sep 14th, 2012, 12:30 AM   #3731
country flag gaviotabr

Quote:
Originally Posted by azdaja View Post
those brackets are completely useless and based on the decimal system and nothing else. the ranking is made for seeding purposes at torunaments, so the reeally relevant numbers are the ones that significantly influence your draws. and yes, it is much more difficult to go up the closer to the top you get. you can tournament whore your way to top 16 but after that it gets more difficult. mm tournaments won't get you into top 8. you can get there without beating any big player if you get lucky (see how kvitty got to a sf of rg this year) but tournaments like linz and bali are not very useful at this level anymore. they were very valuable when ana really was just a top 20 player.
Didnt you say yourself that Ana could benefit from a more realistic schedule? So smaller tournaments could help her getting to top 8.. and not only by giving her easy points.

Quote:
it should also be noted that getting into top 10 is far more difficult this year than it was last year because top players are actually consistent. i remember all those threads in gm about the "threat" of shahar peer becoming a top 10 player. ana failed to get anywhere close to top 10 when the tour was a mess and you could get there pretty much without a really big win. she isn't going to get a free ride there now. yet in spite of the road getting more difficult she is now close to getting there.

if we can use the argument that a player was in a slump in order to diminish ana's accomplishments we can use this argument as well.

the improvement is not slight. plenty of positive things have happened this year for the first time in years. but you can always spin things and see everything negatively.
Man.. we really 110% disagree in almost everything.. But I do agree the last 4 years were weak years, and it became a tiny bit stronger now at the very top (top 4 were consistent).. though not that strong, otherwise Errani would never make the YEC... Thinking about that makes me a bit sad... Ana really wasted some of her peak years with craptastic play.. pity her slight improvement only started to happen now. Hopefully she can get MUCH better at some point in her career, before it gets too late...

Quote:
some of the posters in gm were actually very positive about ana saying that she has quietly worked her way up again and that's really the story.
Ana, GM and positive in the same sentence! Miracle!

Old Sep 14th, 2012, 09:15 AM   #3732
country flag azdaja

azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Didnt you say yourself that Ana could benefit from a more realistic schedule? So smaller tournaments could help her getting to top 8.. and not only by giving her easy points.
of course but as of now she needs something like1300 points to get to top 8 and she's not gonna get there by playing linz. i do think playing there would be a confidence boost but not sure by how much. pointswise linz saved ana's 2010 season (would she have been in the top 20 without it at the end of 2010?) but when you are closer to the top gaps between players are much bigger.

but it's not only internationals. she missed some premier events with weaker fields as well. however, i take this into account when i think how this year was for her. caring about the olympic games too much effectively prevented her from getting into top 10, reaching that magical decimal bracket. and when she was ranked lower her scheduling was just

Quote:
Man.. we really 110% disagree in almost everything.. But I do agree the last 4 years were weak years, and it became a tiny bit stronger now at the very top (top 4 were consistent).. though not that strong, otherwise Errani would never make the YEC... Thinking about that makes me a bit sad... Ana really wasted some of her peak years with craptastic play.. pity her slight improvement only started to happen now. Hopefully she can get MUCH better at some point in her career, before it gets too late...
i am talking only about the very top. in events that actually bring you most points ana lost mostly to them plus the usual suspects venus and kim. the consistent top 4 or 5 mean that you consistently run into them when it matters most. this is a different situation from the past few years, both in the sense that there are consistent players to beat and in the sense that ana actually regularly manages to run into them rather than lose in earlier rounds. ana's rise in the rankings was slow earlier this year because of this.

it's not like any of top 10 players really can do much against serena, maria or vika. and i think ana can beat most of other top players, perhaps not always but she can do it. i think that's the company ana belongs to right now. a really good run at the end of the season might still get her into top 10, so we can officially say that this season was considerably better than any of the past 3 (a different decimal bracket). of course it still could end in disaster, ana will probably want to save some energy for fed cup

Quote:
Ana, GM and positive in the same sentence! Miracle!
well, anapolis is itself not a very positive place to begin with. there are some people who started to respect ana because of her quiet comeback. surely we can all agree with that view here as fans even while we still expect more.
azdaja is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th, 2012, 01:58 PM   #3733
country flag gaviotabr

Quote:
of course but as of now she needs something like1300 points to get to top 8 and she's not gonna get there by playing linz. i do think playing there would be a confidence boost but not sure by how much. pointswise linz saved ana's 2010 season (would she have been in the top 20 without it at the end of 2010?) but when you are closer to the top gaps between players are much bigger.

but it's not only internationals. she missed some premier events with weaker fields as well. however, i take this into account when i think how this year was for her. caring about the olympic games too much effectively prevented her from getting into top 10, reaching that magical decimal bracket. and when she was ranked lower her scheduling was just
Yes.. missing Stanford and San Diego was directly affected by the Olympics.. but I think Ana's top 5 kind of schedule is just the schedule she wants to have. She doesn't want to play more and she doesn't want to play smaller tournaments. I know Linz won't miraculously get her to top 10 now.. but playing a smaller even during clay season, for an example, could've got her a top 12 seeding for both RG and Wimbledon (considering she missed out on it by about 50 points), giving her better draws and a bigger chance at going further in tournaments that give out the most points. Anyway, we definitely agree Ana's schedule is an issue.. unfortunately I don't think this will ever be adressed.

Quote:
i am talking only about the very top. in events that actually bring you most points ana lost mostly to them plus the usual suspects venus and kim. the consistent top 4 or 5 mean that you consistently run into them when it matters most. this is a different situation from the past few years, both in the sense that there are consistent players to beat and in the sense that ana actually regularly manages to run into them rather than lose in earlier rounds. ana's rise in the rankings was slow earlier this year because of this.

it's not like any of top 10 players really can do much against serena, maria or vika. and i think ana can beat most of other top players, perhaps not always but she can do it. i think that's the company ana belongs to right now. a really good run at the end of the season might still get her into top 10, so we can officially say that this season was considerably better than any of the past 3 (a different decimal bracket). of course it still could end in disaster, ana will probably want to save some energy for fed cup
I think Ana's current brand of tennis is harmless against any top 10 player.. not only the strong top 4. Its the average route that serves well to beating scrubs, because its more consistent.. but that also negates any of her weapons, so it cant cause even ticking in top players.

In premier events and slams, apart from losing to Serena, Vika, Maria, Kim and Venus.. Ana also lost to Cetkovska, Barthel, Safarova, Vinci, Wozniacki, Kvitova, Errani.. so its not like Ana is only losing against the very best and she didn't have chances of doing better in tournaments, instead of losing in early rounds 80% of times.

We'll see what happens in her last 3 tournaments.. I hope she can build on the USO run. And don't remind me of Fed Cup.. that's almost always recipe for disaster..

Quote:
well, anapolis is itself not a very positive place to begin with. there are some people who started to respect ana because of her quiet comeback. surely we can all agree with that view here as fans even while we still expect more.
Yes.. I barely visit GM to be honest, so just surprised me a bit. Everytime I go there I seem to stumble upon a thread of people hating on Ana and saying she was never good enough. That pisses me off to no end.

Old Sep 14th, 2012, 02:11 PM   #3734
country flag Cajka

Quote:
And don't remind me of Fed Cup.. that's almost always recipe for disaster..
It's the end of the season, so it can hardly affect her next tournament after that.

If she wants to have a good clay season in 2013 she will have to skip Fed Cup next year. First, she won't add any MM in that case and she'll lose in R1 of Stuttgart again. But it all depends on result of their first tie which will be played in February.

I can understand why she skipped Stanford and San Diego this year, but next year it would be inexcusable.
ПАРТИЗАН ШАМПИОН!!!
Old Sep 14th, 2012, 02:11 PM   #3735
country flag gaviotabr

Quote:
2012 Grand Slam Season

Ana Ivanovic: It took four long years for Ana Ivanovic to reach another Grand Slam quarterfinal. Will she have to wait another four? Probably not. Besides her appearance in the last eight in New York, Ivanovic produced fourth-round finishes at the Australian Open and Wimbledon. As it turned out, Ivanovic didn't need to be embarrassed in losing to Errani in three sets in Paris.
http://espn.go.com/tennis/story/_/id...nd-slam-season