~Ana's articles~ - Page 112 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old May 31st, 2010, 07:15 AM   #1666
country flag HowardH

HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute
Re: ~Ana's articles~

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaviotabr View Post
Interesting. Nice that he recognizes the technical problems as well. It would always puzzle me how Sven and Kardon.. even Cahill.. would say that apart from the issue with the toss (which was just too obvious), Ana had great technique and didn't need adjustments on that. I'm no coach... but I play tennis since I was a little kid and I can clearly identify glaring issues with Ana's technique now, that maybe she didn't have in the past. Take the forehand for an example.. it used to be a beautiful, flowing shot. I feel like now she has to hit the follow through well above her head (instead of above her shoulder in the classic follow through, which has always been her usual technique). It becomes a bit of a weird movement. She does this IMHO to compensate for her lack of timing. But that's a technique problem that takes power and precision away from this shot, which should be her biggest weapon. Since it all comes from a difficulty in timing the shot its clearly directly related to her mind, to her mental problems. And she got used to the technical error, as he says, leading to trying to compensate it with further movement.
You have a good sense of technique Izzy. So you can sense flaws, like some other people on TF can. Part of it is because you learnt in the modern era, and you learnt as a youngster. Also you have watched a lot of pro tennis. So you instinctively sense how effective or inefficient a technique is. You sense Ana's late cramped contact on the bh, her now late contact on the fh.

Tennis is a game that is still developing. Ana's fh, for instance, was a step forward technically for the wta, learning how to whip the wrist to develop a lot of racquethead speed. If you compare her fh technically to say Kleybanova, she has much more wrist movement and therefore potential power/spin than Alisa. Her fh, when on, had even more whip than both WS or Sharapova. Of course these days she can barely even use it as a weapon .

Many coaches learnt in the earlier era where many players had poor technique and got by on talent. A lot of past champions had limited technique but were gifted in other ways and found ways to win. As a result a lot of coaches wouldn't think Ana's technical issues were very important, since she is already technically more sound than the majority of players from 20 years ago. However, the game keeps moving forward- in the future having technical flaws will make it nearly impossible to rise. I actually think people who learnt tennis in the modern era, such as yourself, and have remained immersed in the tennis world, see technique more clearly than many top coaches. I sometimes feel coaches involved in junior development often understand technique better than coaches who work primarily with top players, since those who mentor top players are focused on giving their charge the mental edge. Coaches often encounter students who cannot win despite having good technique, and other students who have the knack of winning despite having flaws. So they think it doesn't matter that much unless it's extreme, like Ana's toss. But although talent can compensate for technique, at the very highest level, flaws start to matter. Look at a player like Meusburger. Because the men's game has developed further than the women's game a player with severe technical limitations like Meusburger would be hard pressed to even turn pro on the men's tour yet alone reach ATP level. As the level continues to rise players with technical issues will be left more and more behind.

It is indeed true as you point out that Ana's stressed mentality originally caused her to be too hesitant on her shots, which led to the fh contact becoming later, her shots becoming softer etc. However, I feel that just because the mental part caused the technical issues doesn't mean it can simply be solved by resolving the mental side. You need to also resolve the technical issue. It's like someone whose muscles have become extremely tight and have many knots because of their stress. You need not only to relax their mental state, you also need to massage, stretch and release their muscles. The mental side was the original cause of Ana's problems, but once the bad technique becomes a habit, it becomes a real problem that has to be approached together with the mental part. This is the problem Sven, Kardon, Cahill had. They identified that the original cause of Ana's slump was mental. Therefore they assumed that if they focused on that the technical part would also restore itself. However, a slump which lasts such a long time makes the new technique into a habit, it leaves lasting after effects, so it must be addressed just as much as the mental side of the game. Even if Ana tries to act confident it's hard to shake off the habits of 2 years just like that.

That's why one or two flukey runs cannot save her. It takes time to build new habits and eliminate the old ones. One tournament is not enough, she will tend to relapse. Your signature is actually very apt for Ana herself. She is a bit like a drug addict. Even if she has a good week, she will tend to return to her old mistakes. It takes time to redevelop consistently good mental and technical habits. Right now she's in rehab and we hope she'll recover .

Last edited by HowardH : May 31st, 2010 at 07:23 AM.
HowardH is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 31st, 2010, 10:03 AM   #1667
country flag gaviotabr

gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardH View Post
You have a good sense of technique Izzy. So you can sense flaws, like some other people on TF can. Part of it is because you learnt in the modern era, and you learnt as a youngster. Also you have watched a lot of pro tennis. So you instinctively sense how effective or inefficient a technique is. You sense Ana's late cramped contact on the bh, her now late contact on the fh.

Tennis is a game that is still developing. Ana's fh, for instance, was a step forward technically for the wta, learning how to whip the wrist to develop a lot of racquethead speed. If you compare her fh technically to say Kleybanova, she has much more wrist movement and therefore potential power/spin than Alisa. Her fh, when on, had even more whip than both WS or Sharapova. Of course these days she can barely even use it as a weapon .

Many coaches learnt in the earlier era where many players had poor technique and got by on talent. A lot of past champions had limited technique but were gifted in other ways and found ways to win. As a result a lot of coaches wouldn't think Ana's technical issues were very important, since she is already technically more sound than the majority of players from 20 years ago. However, the game keeps moving forward- in the future having technical flaws will make it nearly impossible to rise. I actually think people who learnt tennis in the modern era, such as yourself, and have remained immersed in the tennis world, see technique more clearly than many top coaches. I sometimes feel coaches involved in junior development often understand technique better than coaches who work primarily with top players, since those who mentor top players are focused on giving their charge the mental edge. Coaches often encounter students who cannot win despite having good technique, and other students who have the knack of winning despite having flaws. So they think it doesn't matter that much unless it's extreme, like Ana's toss. But although talent can compensate for technique, at the very highest level, flaws start to matter. Look at a player like Meusburger. Because the men's game has developed further than the women's game a player with severe technical limitations like Meusburger would be hard pressed to even turn pro on the men's tour yet alone reach ATP level. As the level continues to rise players with technical issues will be left more and more behind.

It is indeed true as you point out that Ana's stressed mentality originally caused her to be too hesitant on her shots, which led to the fh contact becoming later, her shots becoming softer etc. However, I feel that just because the mental part caused the technical issues doesn't mean it can simply be solved by resolving the mental side. You need to also resolve the technical issue. It's like someone whose muscles have become extremely tight and have many knots because of their stress. You need not only to relax their mental state, you also need to massage, stretch and release their muscles. The mental side was the original cause of Ana's problems, but once the bad technique becomes a habit, it becomes a real problem that has to be approached together with the mental part. This is the problem Sven, Kardon, Cahill had. They identified that the original cause of Ana's slump was mental. Therefore they assumed that if they focused on that the technical part would also restore itself. However, a slump which lasts such a long time makes the new technique into a habit, it leaves lasting after effects, so it must be addressed just as much as the mental side of the game. Even if Ana tries to act confident it's hard to shake off the habits of 2 years just like that.

That's why one or two flukey runs cannot save her. It takes time to build new habits and eliminate the old ones. One tournament is not enough, she will tend to relapse. Your signature is actually very apt for Ana herself. She is a bit like a drug addict. Even if she has a good week, she will tend to return to her old mistakes. It takes time to redevelop consistently good mental and technical habits. Right now she's in rehab and we hope she'll recover .
You are always spot on Howard.

I do think though.. that if Ana's mental problems aren't solved.. in a way that she needs to stop seeing tennis as something negative and get her desire to be bigger than her fears and nerves.. I don't see her solving the technical aspects either. First because the root will still be there forcing the bad habits. Second because without a clear mind and a lot of mental commitment, a player can practice 24/7 but won't make any real progress.

The drug addict analysis is particularly interesting because those too have to reach a point they see they need to change within, not only blame whatever they have around them. They have to dedicate themselves to recover and it takes a lot of effort and commitment for them to do so. I'm not sure Ana has reached the rehab phase yet.. or at least not the ultimate rehab.. the one the drug addict goes on their own, because they really want to, not because he/she is told to go. We can only hope she recovers some day.. I have to say I'm losing faith... as well as a drug addict, she will probably go on for the rest of her career having to really watch out and make the effort to avoid the bad habits again. That takes a lot of strength.. not sure Ana has it.

Making mistakes is human, repeating them is dumb.

What I write is my opinion, and my opinion only.
gaviotabr is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2010, 11:49 AM   #1668
country flag bruce goose

bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute

Actually,Izzy,I think that AYE was the first one here who compared Ana to a drug addict/alcoholic...still,I'd rather have Ana prove me wrong instead of receiving any credit for that

Ste. Kim, we didn't have you for long enough, but we appreciate what you gave us

W(PE)TA: Women's Pathetic Enabler Tennis Association

LOOK! It's CLEAR; Carousel is a LIE! You don't HAVE to die! You can LIVE; LIVE and GROW OLD!
bruce goose is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2010, 01:09 PM   #1669
country flag gaviotabr

gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce goose View Post
Actually,Izzy,I think that AYE was the first one here who compared Ana to a drug addict/alcoholic...still,I'd rather have Ana prove me wrong instead of receiving any credit for that
Sorry Bruce! But sometimes I had the feeling you were actually saying Ana was on drugs.. Which is not the case I'm sure. Anyway.. let's hope some fire lights within her.. Her fears and doubts are still much bigger than her desire, and that prevents her to do anything IMHO.

Old May 31st, 2010, 01:17 PM   #1670
country flag bruce goose

bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaviotabr View Post
Sorry Bruce! But sometimes I had the feeling you were actually saying Ana was on drugs.. Which is not the case I'm sure. Anyway.. let's hope some fire lights within her.. Her fears and doubts are still much bigger than her desire, and that prevents her to do anything IMHO.
No,as you might recall some of the posts,I said that she had the same MENTALITY as an alcoholic or drug addict.To be fair to you,aye HAVE suspected for a little while that Ana occasionally uses drugs,or maybe drinks,as an escape from her unpleasant reality.She's obviously not any kind of hard-core addict otherwise she wouldn't have put on weight and gotten out of shape...yet using drugs or alcohol for escapism purposes TOTALLY jibes with Ana's current personality state,and it's quite plausible when you consider some of the lowlife company she keeps

Ste. Kim, we didn't have you for long enough, but we appreciate what you gave us

LOOK! It's CLEAR; Carousel is a LIE! You don't HAVE to die! You can LIVE; LIVE and GROW OLD!
Old Jun 1st, 2010, 12:58 AM   #1671
country flag MM_1257

MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of

gaviotabr, could you help me find that Cahill interview? Statement, or whatever that was...
Old Jun 1st, 2010, 01:32 AM   #1672
country flag gaviotabr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maja12 View Post
gaviotabr, could you help me find that Cahill interview? Statement, or whatever that was...
Umm.. I'll try.. but I'm pretty sure it's in this thread.. between Eastbourne and the USO last year.

Old Jun 1st, 2010, 01:35 AM   #1673
country flag Pops Maellard
Quiche

Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute

In fairness to Ana, if she has to be a drug addict it might as well be for Adam. The guy's pretty hot.

OK back to serious meanness now.
Pops Maellard is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1st, 2010, 01:58 AM   #1674
country flag spiritedenergy

spiritedenergy has a reputation beyond repute spiritedenergy has a reputation beyond repute spiritedenergy has a reputation beyond repute spiritedenergy has a reputation beyond repute spiritedenergy has a reputation beyond repute spiritedenergy has a reputation beyond repute spiritedenergy has a reputation beyond repute spiritedenergy has a reputation beyond repute spiritedenergy has a reputation beyond repute spiritedenergy has a reputation beyond repute spiritedenergy has a reputation beyond repute

i agree with the metaphor of the drug addict sadly

It looks like ana doesn't have the confidence to face and solve problems, so she tries to escape altogether... but we in anapolis should be the last to talk, aren't we addicted to this forum/internet/ana anyways? that's also an addiction
Old Jun 1st, 2010, 02:12 AM   #1675
country flag bruce goose

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
In fairness to Ana, if she has to be a drug addict it might as well be for Adam. The guy's pretty hot.

OK back to serious meanness now.
Now YOU are guilty of hypocrisy:You complained earlier that people liked Caro only b/c of her looks...and now you're making excuses for the Tumor.The huge difference is...Caro is actually a decent person whereas Adam is a pile of monkey shit who needs to get brutally sodomized with one of his golf clubs.....HERE'S an interesting experiment:How 'sexy' will his swishy Aussie accent sound when he's offering to lick someone's balls if they'll just stop bitch-slapping him into a teary-eyed mess

Oh,and he doesn't give a rat's ass about Ana's psychological problems...in fact he contributes heavily to them...how's THAT for meanness??

Last edited by bruce goose : Jun 1st, 2010 at 03:07 AM. Reason: zaz
Old Jun 1st, 2010, 02:15 AM   #1676
country flag bruce goose

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritedenergy View Post
i agree with the metaphor of the drug addict sadly

It looks like ana doesn't have the confidence to face and solve problems, so she tries to escape altogether... but we in anapolis should be the last to talk, aren't we addicted to this forum/internet/ana anyways? that's also an addiction
That depends,Luca...do you suck at your job/studies like Ana does?? If NOT,then you have healthy balance in your life

Old Jun 1st, 2010, 05:59 AM   #1677
country flag spiritedenergy

spiritedenergy has a reputation beyond repute spiritedenergy has a reputation beyond repute spiritedenergy has a reputation beyond repute spiritedenergy has a reputation beyond repute spiritedenergy has a reputation beyond repute spiritedenergy has a reputation beyond repute spiritedenergy has a reputation beyond repute spiritedenergy has a reputation beyond repute spiritedenergy has a reputation beyond repute spiritedenergy has a reputation beyond repute spiritedenergy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
That depends,Luca...do you suck at your job/studies like Ana does?? If NOT,then you have healthy balance in your life
i don't suck... but i could do better... same for ana, she is top 50 after all, that can be seen as good looking from one point of view... as long as ana gets in the millions she might think she is doing things right. it really depends on the objectives and goals she decide to have... the higher they are the less a balanced life she can live
Old Jun 1st, 2010, 10:39 AM   #1678
country flag Pops Maellard
Quiche

Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Now YOU are guilty of hypocrisy:You complained earlier that people liked Caro only b/c of her looks...and now you're making excuses for the Tumor.The huge difference is...Caro is actually a decent person whereas Adam is a pile of monkey shit who needs to get brutally sodomized with one of his golf clubs.....HERE'S an interesting experiment:How 'sexy' will his swishy Aussie accent sound when he's offering to lick someone's balls if they'll just stop bitch-slapping him into a teary-eyed mess

Oh,and he doesn't give a rat's ass about Ana's psychological problems...in fact he contributes heavily to them...how's THAT for meanness??
Apology #128934 from me to you I'm sure.

I don't bother to keep up with what Adam does, all I really know is that Ana's in a slump. I really have no idea how much Adam has to do with that.
Pops Maellard is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1st, 2010, 11:54 AM   #1679
country flag bruce goose

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
Apology #128934 from me to you I'm sure.

I don't bother to keep up with what Adam does, all I really know is that Ana's in a slump. I really have no idea how much Adam has to do with that.
You don't have to apologize at all if you think you were right,Aaron...but I'LL apologize for being a little rough on you...perhaps....Let me simplify for you.The Tumor CLAIMED that he'd do whatever possible to support Ana's comeback...and then,almost immediately afterwards,led her to WAG excessively again when she badly needed to train.I don't know anyone in this forum who believes that he gives a shit about Ana's panic attacks or psychological complexes.Why NOT??Because a weak Ana is easy to manipulate and control....EXACTLY what he wants after his previous gf got wise and kicked his swishy ass to the curb.

Right now,my/our best hope is that Heinz can guide Ana and help her build her self-esteem and respect herself better....Then,in the future,she'll hopefully get a bf like JMDP or Novak(or whomever)who'd actually respect her as more than a trophy gf for his status' sake....It's a long road towards adulthood for Ana cuz she didn't get ANY preparation for it from her folks when she was younger

Old Jun 1st, 2010, 11:56 AM   #1680
country flag Davodus

Davodus has a reputation beyond repute Davodus has a reputation beyond repute Davodus has a reputation beyond repute Davodus has a reputation beyond repute Davodus has a reputation beyond repute Davodus has a reputation beyond repute Davodus has a reputation beyond repute Davodus has a reputation beyond repute Davodus has a reputation beyond repute Davodus has a reputation beyond repute Davodus has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

how the hell do you know that I mean, he is in the media a lot here and he seems like a pretty nice guy a little bit stupid maybe, kind of sounds a bit like there is air in his head, but I wouldn't think lowly of him at all. And we dunno what creates Ana's psychological problems either, they existed before he came along, so we can't really say that either, you know?

https://picasaweb.google.com/114131139157506432297 Brisbane International photos, Sydney International and Australian Open photos
Davodus is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote