irish tennis - Page 84 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jun 15th, 2013, 10:49 AM   #1246
country flag polly

polly has much to be proud of polly has much to be proud of polly has much to be proud of polly has much to be proud of polly has much to be proud of polly has much to be proud of polly has much to be proud of polly has much to be proud of polly has much to be proud of polly has much to be proud of polly has much to be proud of
Re: irish tennis

congrats to sinead lohan, she just got an official world ranking
polly is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jun 15th, 2013, 03:49 PM   #1247
country flag KournikovaFan91
*Sesil*

KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute

Now assault the tour Sinead.
Old Jun 15th, 2013, 09:27 PM   #1248
country flag Cat in the hat

Cat in the hat is a glorious beacon of light Cat in the hat is a glorious beacon of light Cat in the hat is a glorious beacon of light Cat in the hat is a glorious beacon of light Cat in the hat is a glorious beacon of light Cat in the hat is a glorious beacon of light Cat in the hat is a glorious beacon of light Cat in the hat is a glorious beacon of light Cat in the hat is a glorious beacon of light Cat in the hat is a glorious beacon of light Cat in the hat is a glorious beacon of light

didn't she lose her last match 6-0 6-0?
Cat in the hat is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16th, 2013, 12:20 AM   #1249
*Sesil*

KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah but that chick has be routining everyone in the draw, dished out a bagel each match thus far. At least Sinead is easily making MDs at 10k level. I'd be happy with an Irish girl having a Cadantu type career at this stage, I'm not looking for a world beater
Old Jun 21st, 2013, 08:28 PM   #1250
country flag polly

polly has much to be proud of polly has much to be proud of polly has much to be proud of polly has much to be proud of polly has much to be proud of polly has much to be proud of polly has much to be proud of polly has much to be proud of polly has much to be proud of polly has much to be proud of polly has much to be proud of

All the best to Georgia Drummy who is in the semi finals of under 14s in portugal tomorrow, hope she gets her revenge against great britains georgie walker
Old Jun 22nd, 2013, 10:16 PM   #1251
country flag polly

All the best to Georgia Drummy tomorrow playing in the girls under 14's in portugal
Old Jun 23rd, 2013, 02:00 PM   #1252
country flag polly

Hard luck to Georgia Drummy who lost in the final today in portugal girls under 14's 36 63 62
Old Jun 23rd, 2013, 08:29 PM   #1253
country flag Tipp

Tipp has much to be proud of Tipp has much to be proud of Tipp has much to be proud of Tipp has much to be proud of Tipp has much to be proud of Tipp has much to be proud of Tipp has much to be proud of Tipp has much to be proud of Tipp has much to be proud of Tipp has much to be proud of Tipp has much to be proud of

Interesting tweets from James Cluskey last week about the state of the courts in Ireland. The overwhelming majority of courts in Ireland are synthetic grass which plays completely unlike anything used on tour, and Tennis Ireland has apparently just renewed a contract with the people who make that shit for the foreseeable future. Literally every player that has had any success in recent years are people that were lucky enough to live close to indoor hardcourts and/or went abroad. We're like the rainiest country in Europe and probably have fewer indoor courts than any other country.
Tipp is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23rd, 2013, 10:14 PM   #1254
country flag polly

have tennis ireland any brains, where do they think they are going with synthetic courts
Old Jun 26th, 2013, 11:29 PM   #1255
*Sesil*

Synthetic grass

Seriously they need indoor hard, outdoor hard and a few clay ones too (so many ITFs are on clay no wonder out players can't gain points when nearly every 10/25k in Spain, Italy, France, Belgium is on clay)

Indoor courts obviously a must given the weather.
Old Jul 1st, 2013, 09:04 PM   #1256
*Sesil*

Bowtell in qualies of Istanbul 25k I see.

All these clay ITFs, seriously Tennis Ireland we need clay courts. Turkey and Egypt are probably the closest regular hard ITFs to here and they're hardly convenient travel wise.

Side note - why on earth do the Irish media report Laura Robson results like they're headline sports news, I was in a shop the other day and the first sporting news item was the Robson/Erakovic result

So many Irish posters coming out of the woodwork in GM at the minute I'm like who the fuck are you?

Last edited by KournikovaFan91 : Jul 2nd, 2013 at 01:06 AM.
KournikovaFan91 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2nd, 2013, 08:08 PM   #1257
country flag Stevecw

Stevecw has a brilliant future Stevecw has a brilliant future Stevecw has a brilliant future Stevecw has a brilliant future Stevecw has a brilliant future Stevecw has a brilliant future Stevecw has a brilliant future Stevecw has a brilliant future Stevecw has a brilliant future Stevecw has a brilliant future Stevecw has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by KournikovaFan91 View Post
Bowtell in qualies of Istanbul 25k I see.

All these clay ITFs, seriously Tennis Ireland we need clay courts. Turkey and Egypt are probably the closest regular hard ITFs to here and they're hardly convenient travel wise.

Side note - why on earth do the Irish media report Laura Robson results like they're headline sports news, I was in a shop the other day and the first sporting news item was the Robson/Erakovic result

So many Irish posters coming out of the woodwork in GM at the minute I'm like who the fuck are you?

Ah, its probably just to look after all the Irish who are in Australia now. Robson was born in Australia...so might be going with that angle
Old Jul 5th, 2013, 07:41 PM   #1258
country flag polly

RETIRED Irish tennis star Conor Niland says a lack of investment here in the sport means it's unlikely we'll see the Irish feature in Wimbledon.

ALSO IN THIS SECTION
Shopping trip leads to screen stardom for schoolgirl Kelly
Amanda's €250k nest egg as she cashes in on TV success
Stylish? I was an '80s child with Frankie Says t-shirts - Maura
5) Foods you must not eat
Cut down a bit of stomach fat every day by never eating these 5 foods.
Trimdownclub.com
Limited half price sale
Water Softener Sale. Buy Now Eliminate 100% of limescale forever
ewtechnologies.ie/water-softener
Ads by Google
The 32-year-old feels that Ireland sees tennis as a "summer sport" and needs to pump investment at youth level.

In 2011, Niland became the first Irishman in more than a quarter of a century to qualify for the main draw at Wimbledon. After calling time on his playing career in April 2012, Conor was back at the All England club earlier this week watching the action.

"A great goal for Ireland is to have one man and woman in the main draw, that should be our aim over the next few years," Conor told the Herald.

"We're never realistically going to have a chance of winning Wimbledon, but you get a kick out of watching people from your own country play."

And Conor says having huge support behind him when he reached the knock-out stages of Wimbledon was one of the defining moments of his career.

"It was great for me, people came over at short notice."

Conor reached a career high ranking of 129 in the world in 2010, the best ranking ever achieved by a player who was raised in Ireland. He was born in England, but grew up in Limerick and perfected his tennis skills at the University of Berkley in California.

Conor, who won three events on the ATP Challenger Tour, says the main problem is that tennis is not nurtured like other sports in Ireland. "We need to get the facilities for kids who are eight, nine, ten years of age.

Conor now works as a tennis coach and is helping to promote the National Tennis Day tomorrow.

"What we need is a player to break into the top 100 elite players in the world and if we do this then the interest will follow," he added.

hnews@herald.ie
Old Jul 6th, 2013, 12:04 AM   #1259
*Sesil*

Frankly all it takes is one pushy parent, look at Wozniacki, tennis was not on Danish sports radar till her. Erakovic in NZ is another. I'm hoping some of the Polish immigrants who came to Ireland can get their kids into tennis.

Also I'm surprised he's such a Debbie downer about an Irish person winning a slam. I mean in theory it could happen as I said one parent with their kid at an academy I think nationality is irrelevant. The problem with some in Irish tennis is they want everything to happen at home when really they need to move to Barcelona, Paris or Florida if they want to improve. The LTA has tried creating a homegrown star and it keeps failing Murray went to Spain and its the only reason he became a top player, the LTA didn't create Murray.

We have no courts other than those awful artificial grass ones and now ITFs for women and that Irish Open (disgrace such a prestigious tournament is not a futures event ) so I don't see a single benefit in remaining associated with tennis Ireland.

Personally I don't see it happening cause Irish parents get scared that it won't work and then ship the kid off to play college tennis in the US and that is the nail in the coffin for a career. Why not let the kid play the tour for a while, you can always return to college as a mature student. A lot of other tour players do that or part time study for a degree while playing. The college route is so old fashioned and not useful for a tennis career.

Also the Wimbledon obsession needs to stop, people here only get interested in tennis at Wimbledon there are 3 other slams and personally I'd rather Irish players do well at hard slams or RG because those surfaces are legit year round surfaces. If an Irish player never won a match at Wimbledon but could win on hard and clay I'd be more than happy.
Old Jul 6th, 2013, 11:07 AM   #1260
country flag polly

hopefully Romanian player Karola Bejenaru will get an Irish passport, she is a good prospect. Karola hopes to get Irish citizenship