irish tennis - Page 34 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jun 16th, 2009, 11:52 PM   #496
country flag KournikovaFan91
*Sesil*

KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: irish tennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tipp View Post
Irish Times article, interviewing some people involved in Tennis Ireland. It's pretty interesting, and they all seem reasonably optimistic about the future. I think Garry Cahill's "targets" are a little behind, though, such as expecting girls to reach the ITF U18 top 100 by the time they're 18 - realistically if they are to be a top 100 player by that time they should have left the U18 circuit behind. Honestly, my biggest hope is that Tennis Ireland has some incentive scheme in place to stop talented young players from heading off to the US college circuit as soon as they finish the LC.
That college thing annoys me so much, because you can defer you Irish College place with CAO for like 2 years or something so in those 2 years they could try the tennis full time and see what happens.

There careers are all over the minute the go to the US colleges, unlike other sports it is useless for tennis.

Also at 18 a girl should be making Top 100 WTA e.g Wozniacki and Pavlyuchenkova not still playing juniors like Ksenia Pervak.

Doesn't he realise when people like Laura Robson and Larcher de Brito are achieving stuff at 15/16 that is when WTA players should be starting to get into gear.

Old Jun 17th, 2009, 08:15 PM   #497
country flag Tipp

Tipp has much to be proud of Tipp has much to be proud of Tipp has much to be proud of Tipp has much to be proud of Tipp has much to be proud of Tipp has much to be proud of Tipp has much to be proud of Tipp has much to be proud of Tipp has much to be proud of Tipp has much to be proud of Tipp has much to be proud of

I agree, the college circuit is a waste of time if you wanna go pro. However, I would imagine that for some people, going the University route is more about the education than anything else. Berkeley, for example, where Conor Niland and Rachel Dillon attended, is a very prestigious school and would probably cost a fortune to attend without a scholarship. I can see why it's difficult to pass something like that up in favour of spending months earning next to nothing on the ITF circuit with no guarantee of ever rising up to the level where you're actually making a profit - which is why Tennis Ireland needs to have something in place to keep them on track.

Anyway - today's results are good

Max JONES (GBR) defeated David SODEK (CZE) 5-7 6-1 7-6(7)
Alexander SADECKY (SUI) (5) defeated Lazare KUKHALASHVILI (GEO) 6-1 6-2
Colin O'BRIEN (IRL) (4) defeated Andreas SILJESTROM (SWE) 6-4 6-2
Sadik KADIR (AUS) (6) defeated Kyle BRASSINGTON (GBR) 7-6(5) 7-6(4)
Ashwin KUMAR (USA) defeated Martin EMMRICH (GER) (8) 7-6(10) 6-3
Louk SORENSEN (IRL) (3) defeated Jakub PRAIBIS (CZE) 6-1 6-0
Bradley COX (USA) defeated Milan POKRAJAC (CAN) (7) 6-3 6-7(5) 6-3
Barry KING (IRL) defeated James MCGEE (IRL) (2) 7-5 5-7 6-4
Tipp is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17th, 2009, 08:38 PM   #498
*Sesil*

KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute

But you could have deferred a Trinity Entry or something. Like Trinity and UCD make Top 50 and Top 100 of World's best colleges anyway.

I was hoping McGee would win Not that randomer I never heard of.
Old Jun 17th, 2009, 09:21 PM   #499
country flag Tennis-Chick

Tennis-Chick has a reputation beyond repute Tennis-Chick has a reputation beyond repute Tennis-Chick has a reputation beyond repute Tennis-Chick has a reputation beyond repute Tennis-Chick has a reputation beyond repute Tennis-Chick has a reputation beyond repute Tennis-Chick has a reputation beyond repute Tennis-Chick has a reputation beyond repute Tennis-Chick has a reputation beyond repute Tennis-Chick has a reputation beyond repute Tennis-Chick has a reputation beyond repute

Well although there are great educational facilities in Trinity/UCD and in the US, it makes sense for the players who aren't making a good living at 17/18 on the ITF to go to America. They will be playing against higher quality tennis players regulary and that will allow them to improve their tennis skills as well as getting a degree.

Barry Great win!! Louk
Louk will hopefully win the tournament, a Sorensen-O'Brien final would be good.

Beth Mattek-Sands Georgie Stoop

Come back soon Tati
Tennis-Chick is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17th, 2009, 11:06 PM   #500
country flag Tipp

Tipp has much to be proud of Tipp has much to be proud of Tipp has much to be proud of Tipp has much to be proud of Tipp has much to be proud of Tipp has much to be proud of Tipp has much to be proud of Tipp has much to be proud of Tipp has much to be proud of Tipp has much to be proud of Tipp has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennis-Chick View Post
Well although there are great educational facilities in Trinity/UCD and in the US, it makes sense for the players who aren't making a good living at 17/18 on the ITF to go to America. They will be playing against higher quality tennis players regulary and that will allow them to improve their tennis skills as well as getting a degree.
Yeah, but you really won't improve anything like you would if you were practising full time. I'd imagine Tennis Ireland have some decent system in place for senior players if the guys like Niland and O'Brien are training with them, so hopefully Sam and Amy will stick around once their education is done.

Speaking of education, I remember reading in the Independent that John Morrissey has put his school education on hold (he was in 5th year) so we can assume he's not going anywhere
Old Jun 18th, 2009, 12:03 AM   #501
*Sesil*

The players may improve but Eastern European players are at a far greater level that our players when our players leave college.

Also some players need to change their strategies as to which ITFs they enter. European ones are always full of entrants and WCs are always given to natives of the country.

Sam Barry had a good strategy when he entered tournaments in Central Asia, e.g that Turkmenistan tournament. It didn't have much competition so he got rank points which enabled him to make entry lists of higher ranked tournaments.
Old Jun 18th, 2009, 12:57 AM   #502
country flag hellas719

hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute

I really don't belong here, but I'd like to say that it's sad that Ireland doesn't have a great tennis player
I have cousins and their dad is from Greece, and their mom is Irish. Whenever they have parties at their house, they invite Greeks and Irish people. There's a guy there I know who is from the Irish side and he is really into tennis. He always talks with me about who will win the US Open or Wimbledon or whatever (and other things but I can't understand that Irish accent). Back to the purpose of this post, it's sad to see that you guys have hardly any hopes for the future. I think that Irish tennis fans are very deserving of a top player in the near future. I don't know much about your hopes for the future, but could someone give me a list of a few Irish hopes for the future (5 or so) and a quick description? I'm curious

Wickmayer. Venus. Ivanovic. Cirstea. Halep.
Azarenka. Krajicek. Flipkens. Pironkova. Begu.
Lisicki. Paszek. Vesnina. Pavlyuchenkova. Cornet.
Stephens. Oudin. King. Vandeweghe. McHale.
Grammatikopoulou ~ Papamichail ~ Sakkari
hellas719 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18th, 2009, 11:20 AM   #503

Tennis-Chick has a reputation beyond repute Tennis-Chick has a reputation beyond repute Tennis-Chick has a reputation beyond repute Tennis-Chick has a reputation beyond repute Tennis-Chick has a reputation beyond repute Tennis-Chick has a reputation beyond repute Tennis-Chick has a reputation beyond repute Tennis-Chick has a reputation beyond repute Tennis-Chick has a reputation beyond repute Tennis-Chick has a reputation beyond repute Tennis-Chick has a reputation beyond repute

1ok Brownsville, USA

(4)Kelly Liggan (IRL) v (Q)Stephanie Hoffpauir (USA) 76(5) 61
Erin Liefeld (AUS) d. Hilary Toole (USA) 64 62

Finally another win for Kelly She should beat her next opponent as well.

Hellas
There's not that many Irish hopes that I know of to talk about. I would say John Morrissey,16 is the best hope (#83 ITF) He has reached a lot of finals over the past year but has only won one title. HE also trains at Justine Henin's academy in Belgium, that will give him a great chance to improve his tennis. Sam Barry, 17 (#110 ITF) has won a few Grade 4's in the past year, he seems to be a good player. He trained at Mouratoglou academy in France, where Pavlyuchenkova attends, so he must have some talent. Amy Bowtell, 15 is also supposed to be a good up-and-coming player, Tennis Ireland talk about her highly, but IMO she isn't coming along that quickly. She is only ranked 395 ITF. It was mentioned that she beat Mladenovic in U12's, and look at Mladenovic now. She is way behind others her age, Kristina is now #1 ITF and Roland Garros junior champion. Of the younger players there is Sinead Lohan, who was born in 1995. She did quite well on the U14s last year in Europe. That's all that I can think of ATM.

Come back soon Tati
Old Jun 18th, 2009, 05:09 PM   #504
*Sesil*

Yeah Bowtell is too slow at moving through the ranks.

Lohan looks ok as potential, but U-14 is all over the place.
Old Jun 18th, 2009, 06:41 PM   #505
country flag Tipp

Alexander SADECKY (SUI) (5) defeated Max JONES (GBR) 6-0 6-2
Colin O'BRIEN (IRL) (4) defeated Sadik KADIR (AUS) (6) 6-4 3-6 7-5
Louk SORENSEN (IRL) (3) defeated Ashwin KUMAR (USA) 7-5 7-6(2)
Barry KING (IRL) defeated Bradley COX (USA) 6-4 4-6 6-3

Outstanding
Old Jun 18th, 2009, 07:27 PM   #506
country flag hellas719

hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
I think Morissey, Barry, and Lohan could be future top 100 players

Wickmayer. Venus. Ivanovic. Cirstea. Halep.
Azarenka. Krajicek. Flipkens. Pironkova. Begu.
Lisicki. Paszek. Vesnina. Pavlyuchenkova. Cornet.
Stephens. Oudin. King. Vandeweghe. McHale.
Grammatikopoulou ~ Papamichail ~ Sakkari
hellas719 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18th, 2009, 08:16 PM   #507

Great results today!! Excited to see Louk playing Barry, their probably my two favourite Irish senior players. Louk will probably win, but it will be another great week for King, and will help get his ranking up
Colin

Come back soon Tati
Old Jun 19th, 2009, 12:01 PM   #508
country flag Tipp

$10k, Brownsville, USA

R16: (4) Kelly LIGGAN IRL d. Erin LIEFELD AUS 64 46 64

ITF U18, Grade 1, Morocco

R64: John MORRISSEY (IRL) (5) BYE
R32: John MORRISSEY (IRL) (5) defeated Yoannis HILELIS (FRA) 6-3 6-1
R16: John MORRISSEY (IRL) (5) defeated Mikelis LIBIETIS (LAT) Walkover

QF: John MORRISSEY (IRL) (5) Vs Pavel KRAINIK (CAN)

Very winnable QF, although he'll most likely have to play the guy who beat him in last week's final if he makes the semis.
Old Jun 19th, 2009, 05:07 PM   #509

Good week for John, he seems to be getting used to clay, although I would rathered he played Roehampton, to get used to grass. He is also through to the doubles semi with Kontinen, that will be his best result in doubles. So, so far this tournament he has added 38.75pts to his ranking, which will bring him up to around #61

Kelly

Come back soon Tati

Last edited by Tennis-Chick : Jun 19th, 2009 at 05:54 PM.
Old Jun 20th, 2009, 10:26 AM   #510

John lost in the QF 6-4 5-7 7-6(6) , but is through to the doubles final

Louk retired at 2-5 against King, hopefully it's nothing serious He faces the Swiss #5 seed in the next round who beat Colin O'Brien 6-0 6-7(4) 7-6(4). He and John both put up good fights with both losing in final set tiebreaks

Come back soon Tati