Shannon Golds gets last Maindraw Wildcard! - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Dec 28th, 2006, 09:58 AM   #1
country flag Alicia Rocks
Team WTAworld

Alicia Rocks has a reputation beyond repute Alicia Rocks has a reputation beyond repute Alicia Rocks has a reputation beyond repute Alicia Rocks has a reputation beyond repute Alicia Rocks has a reputation beyond repute Alicia Rocks has a reputation beyond repute Alicia Rocks has a reputation beyond repute Alicia Rocks has a reputation beyond repute Alicia Rocks has a reputation beyond repute Alicia Rocks has a reputation beyond repute Alicia Rocks has a reputation beyond repute
Shannon Golds gets last Maindraw Wildcard!

Reward for Golds’ effort

28 December - Gold Coast resident Shannon Golds has been awarded the last wildcard into the main draw of the Mondial Australian Women’s Hardcourts.

Golds, who was a runner-up in the pre-qualifying wildcard playoff today, has been given the third wildcard into the tournament’s main draw.

Tournament Director Liz Smylie said the wildcard was reward for the 20-year-old’s hard work.

“I was very impressed with her form over the past couple of days in the wildcard playoff and I think she has a lot of potential,” said Smylie. “She now has a great opportunity to face some of the best players in the world.

“One of the most important functions of tournaments in the Australian Open Series is the opportunity they provide to up-and-coming Australian players and I’m sure Shannon will make the most of this.

“In Samantha Stosur, Nicole Pratt and Shannon, the tournament now features three Queenslanders, two of whom are from the Gold Coast, which will be great for local fans.”

Golds said she was thrilled to be taking part in the main draw.

“I’m very excited,” said Golds of the wildcard. “It’s a great opportunity, which is made even better by the fact that it is in my hometown. I’ll have all my friends and family there so I’m really looking forward to it.

“I’ll go out there with intentions of winning, but I know I have no pressure so I just hope to make the most of it.”

Her presence in the main draw will mark her first appearance a WTA Tour level tournament.

Currently at 599 in the world, Golds aims to be inside the world’s top 300 in the near future. The Gold Coast resident this year won the US$10,000 ITF tournament at Hope Island. It followed an impressive quarterfinal appearance at the US$25,000 ITF event in Mackay late last year.

Olivia Rogowska ~ Na Li ~ Agnes Szavay ~ Casey Dellacqua ~ Jessica Moore ~ Sophie Ferguson ~ Kateryna Bondarenko ~ Monika Wejnert ~ Isabella Holland ~ Jarmila Groth ~ Flavia Pennetta ~ Caroline Wozniacki ~ Olga Savchuk ~ Tzvetana Pironkova ~ Sorana Cirstea ~ Samantha Stosur ~ Arantxa Rus ~ Andrea Hlavackova ~ Sally Peers ~ Laura Robson
Alicia Rocks is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Dec 28th, 2006, 10:25 AM   #2
AUSBOY

AUSBOY has a brilliant future AUSBOY has a brilliant future AUSBOY has a brilliant future AUSBOY has a brilliant future AUSBOY has a brilliant future AUSBOY has a brilliant future AUSBOY has a brilliant future AUSBOY has a brilliant future AUSBOY has a brilliant future AUSBOY has a brilliant future AUSBOY has a brilliant future
Re: Shannon Golds gets last Maindraw Wildcard!

Bet if Trudi had beaten her she wouldnt have gotten it!

Good luck to her!
AUSBOY is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28th, 2006, 10:33 AM   #3
country flag chris1897

chris1897 is just really nice chris1897 is just really nice chris1897 is just really nice chris1897 is just really nice chris1897 is just really nice chris1897 is just really nice chris1897 is just really nice chris1897 is just really nice chris1897 is just really nice chris1897 is just really nice chris1897 is just really nice

good choice.......good luck shannon
chris1897 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28th, 2006, 11:35 AM   #4
country flag CooCooCachoo
Team WTAworld

CooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond repute CooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond repute CooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond repute CooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond repute CooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond repute CooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond repute CooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond repute CooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond repute CooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond repute CooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond repute CooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck to her I guess.

Bemelmans|Camerin|Cornet|Crivoi|Cuevas|Dentoni|Dod ig|Garbin|Granollers
Hlavackova|Ilhan|Kohli|Kuznetsov|Lammer|Mannarino| Menendez|Phau|Polansky
Rezaï|Robredo|Roger-Vasselin|Srebotnik|Szavay|Wörle|Zverev

CooCooCachoo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28th, 2006, 11:44 AM   #5
country flag ozfan44

ozfan44 has a reputation beyond repute ozfan44 has a reputation beyond repute ozfan44 has a reputation beyond repute ozfan44 has a reputation beyond repute ozfan44 has a reputation beyond repute ozfan44 has a reputation beyond repute ozfan44 has a reputation beyond repute ozfan44 has a reputation beyond repute ozfan44 has a reputation beyond repute ozfan44 has a reputation beyond repute ozfan44 has a reputation beyond repute

Im quite happy with this really although im keen to see who did and didn't get qualies wildcards!

Good Luck Shannon, do your best and enjoy the experience!
|
And all the other aussie girls
ozfan44 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28th, 2006, 11:51 AM   #6
country flag SeanyQ

SeanyQ has a brilliant future SeanyQ has a brilliant future SeanyQ has a brilliant future SeanyQ has a brilliant future SeanyQ has a brilliant future SeanyQ has a brilliant future SeanyQ has a brilliant future SeanyQ has a brilliant future SeanyQ has a brilliant future SeanyQ has a brilliant future SeanyQ has a brilliant future

[quote=AUSBOY;9685771]Bet if Trudi had beaten her she wouldnt have gotten it!
[quote]
Since Trudi didn't, it's not really an issue is it!
Don't forget she also won the $10k on the Goldie, so she was bound to at least be getting a qualies wc anyway.
SeanyQ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28th, 2006, 11:53 AM   #7
country flag SeanyQ

SeanyQ has a brilliant future SeanyQ has a brilliant future SeanyQ has a brilliant future SeanyQ has a brilliant future SeanyQ has a brilliant future SeanyQ has a brilliant future SeanyQ has a brilliant future SeanyQ has a brilliant future SeanyQ has a brilliant future SeanyQ has a brilliant future SeanyQ has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozfan44 View Post
Im quite happy with this really although im keen to see who did and didn't get qualies wildcards!

Good Luck Shannon, do your best and enjoy the experience!
Same, I'm supposed to be going tomorrow & have no idea of the draw or the start time. This has to be one of the worst tournaments in the world to follow. I mean we get the bloody $10k qualie draws quicker than this! Blame it on skanky old Liz Smylie, the most fan unfriendly tournament director in history!
Old Dec 28th, 2006, 11:54 AM   #8
country flag jas_aussie
Team WTAworld

jas_aussie is a name known to all jas_aussie is a name known to all jas_aussie is a name known to all jas_aussie is a name known to all jas_aussie is a name known to all jas_aussie is a name known to all jas_aussie is a name known to all jas_aussie is a name known to all jas_aussie is a name known to all jas_aussie is a name known to all jas_aussie is a name known to all

well done!!
jas_aussie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28th, 2006, 12:03 PM   #9
country flag TheBoiledEgg
Moderator - Challengers & Juniors

TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute

for Shannon
MINELLA LARRIERETsurenkoAlize Lim*El Tabakh*Robson*Cirstea*Juhaszova*Zanevska*Broady*Bouchard*Savic*M irza*Pennetta*Hantuchova*Cibulkova*Ivanovic*Fitzpatrick*Remondina*Domachowska*Flipkens*Hercog*Hofmanova*Schoofs*Cet kovska *Svitolina*Pliskova's*Rus
http://www.twitter.com/TheBoiledEgg
TheBoiledEgg is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28th, 2006, 12:17 PM   #10
country flag TS

TS has a reputation beyond repute TS has a reputation beyond repute TS has a reputation beyond repute TS has a reputation beyond repute TS has a reputation beyond repute TS has a reputation beyond repute TS has a reputation beyond repute TS has a reputation beyond repute TS has a reputation beyond repute TS has a reputation beyond repute TS has a reputation beyond repute

Wow. I never thought I'd see Shannon in a main draw of a WTA event, so this is great

All the best to her, I'm sure she will give it her all.
TS is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28th, 2006, 01:16 PM   #11
country flag aussie_fan

aussie_fan has a brilliant future aussie_fan has a brilliant future aussie_fan has a brilliant future aussie_fan has a brilliant future aussie_fan has a brilliant future aussie_fan has a brilliant future aussie_fan has a brilliant future aussie_fan has a brilliant future aussie_fan has a brilliant future aussie_fan has a brilliant future aussie_fan has a brilliant future

Interesting choice, hope she goes well but it will be very tough for her.

Alicia Molik|Sam Stosur|Nicole Pratt|Casey Dellacqua|Sophie Fergsuon|Monqiue Adamczak|Jess Moore|And the rest of the aussies

Also support: Ana Ivanovic| Maria Kirilenko| Misa Krajicek| Marion Bartoli| Jarmila Gajdosova| Lucie Safarova
aussie_fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28th, 2006, 09:46 PM   #12
country flag SeanyQ

Wild time for Golds
Nick Smart
The Gold Coast Bulletin

29Dec06

BRING on Martina Hingis -- that was the message from Gold Coaster Shannon Golds after being awarded the third and final wildcard into the main draw of the Australian Women's Hardcourts yesterday.

Golds thought she would have to qualify the hard way after being beaten by Sophie Ferguson in the final of the wildcard playoff yesterday morning.

She was originally going to try to qualify through the 32-woman qualifying round, which begins at Royal Pines this morning. But the 20-year-old received a late Christmas present from tournament organisers, who awarded her the last tournament wildcard.

Her presence in the main draw will mark her first appearance at a WTA Tour level tournament.

Golds was over the moon when notified, and said she would love to face five-time grand slam champion Hingis in the first round.

"I'd love to play Hingis, for sure," she said. "There is no pressure on me and I'd have nothing to lose.

"It's not every day that you get to play someone like Hingis."

Not many rookies would be too keen to face the top seed in the first round but Golds said she believes she would learn a lot from the experience.

"It is a good chance to see where you are at," she said. "And you can see what you have to work on."

She will find out if her wish is granted when the main draw is announced this afternoon.

It is amazing to think that only 12 months ago Golds was ready to quit the sport and head to university.

"I think at the end of last year I was going to stop playing and study to become a primary school teacher," she said. "But I thought I might give tennis another go because I'm still young. Obviously it's been a good decision."

Currently ranked No.599 in the world, Golds aims to be inside the world's top 300 by the end of 2007.

This year she won the $US10,000 ITF tournament at Hope Island, which followed an impressive quarter-final appearance at the $US25,000 ITF event in Mackay late last year.

Tournament Director Liz Smylie said Golds deserved the wildcard spot in her home tournament.

"I was very impressed with her form over the past couple of days in the wildcard playoff and I think she has a lot of potential," said Smylie.

"She now has a great opportunity to face some of the best players in the world. One of the most important functions of tournaments in the Australian Open Series is the opportunity they provide to up-and-coming Australian players, and I'm sure Shannon will make the most of this."

Competition begins at Royal Pines today with the 32-woman qualifying round, which will wrap up on Sunday afternoon.

Four positions into the main draw are available.