Molik awarded Hobart WC - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Dec 27th, 2006, 11:34 PM   #1
country flag alwayshingis

alwayshingis has a reputation beyond repute alwayshingis has a reputation beyond repute alwayshingis has a reputation beyond repute alwayshingis has a reputation beyond repute alwayshingis has a reputation beyond repute alwayshingis has a reputation beyond repute alwayshingis has a reputation beyond repute alwayshingis has a reputation beyond repute alwayshingis has a reputation beyond repute alwayshingis has a reputation beyond repute alwayshingis has a reputation beyond repute
Molik awarded Hobart WC

Alicia Molik is set to return to the tournament where she won her first WTA Tour title back in 2003 following the announcement today of a wildcard for the 2007 Moorilla Hobart International.

The US$170,000 Moorilla Hobart International, which is part of the Australian Open Series, will be staged from Friday 5 – Friday 12 January 2007 at the Domain Tennis Centre, Hobart.

Molik became the first Australian woman in eight years to secure a WTA Tour title when she defeated Amy Frazier of the USA 6-2 4-6 6-4 in the 2003 final.

This was the first stage of Molik’s rise up the rankings which saw her win singles titles in Stockholm, Zurich and Luxembourg in 2004, and Sydney in 2005, an Olympic bronze in Athens in 2004 and the Australian Open women’s doubles in 2005 partnering Svetlana Kuznetsova.

Molik reached a career high ranking of world No.8 in February 2005 before an inner ear infection interrupted her playing career.

Commenting on today’s announcement, Alicia said, “It’s great to be returning to this tournament and to Hobart. When I won my first WTA title here in 2003 it was the starting point for a memorable two-year run.

“Hopefully the Moorilla Hobart International in January will be a springboard to an equally successful year in 2007.”

Still only 25 years old, Molik’s inclusion further strengthens the tournament’s field which already boasts 17 of the world’s top 50 players, and seven-time Grand Slam champion Serena Williams.

The impressive player list includes: world No.13 Anna Chakvetadze; world no.27 Anabel Medina Garrigues; world No.28 Flavia Pennetta; Russian glamour girl and world No.30 Maria Kirilenko; Alona Bondarenko (ranked 32); defending champion Michaella Krajicek (35) and 2005 champion Jie Zheng (33); rising Russian star Olga Poutchkova (39); Severine Bremond (40); and Russian former top 15 player Elena Likhovtseva.

Tournament Director Michael Roberts said, “The announcement of Alicia is the icing on the cake for what is shaping up to be a fantastic tournament.

“Every Tournament Director loves to have a local favourite and Alicia is hugely popular here in Tasmania.

“However, if she is to be in with any chance of repeating her success of 2003 she’s going to have to be at the top of her game from day one because as a non-seeded player, and given the strength of the field, she’s going to face really tough competition in every round.”

The strong player field is attracting attention from all over the world with a number of international broadcasters expressing interest in the event. While Southern Cross Television will broadcast the final, IEC In Sports have already secured international coverage in the Asia/Pacific region and Russia.

Six of the world’s current top 11 players have previously competed at the Moorilla Hobart International and the tournament’s honour roll boasts names such as Kim Clijsters (2000), and 2006 winner, world No.35 Michaella Krajicek.

Tickets for the 2007 Moorilla Hobart International are currently on sale through Tennis Tasmania on 1300 858 836.
alwayshingis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Dec 27th, 2006, 11:35 PM   #2
country flag MrSerenaWilliams
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

MrSerenaWilliams has a reputation beyond repute MrSerenaWilliams has a reputation beyond repute MrSerenaWilliams has a reputation beyond repute MrSerenaWilliams has a reputation beyond repute MrSerenaWilliams has a reputation beyond repute MrSerenaWilliams has a reputation beyond repute MrSerenaWilliams has a reputation beyond repute MrSerenaWilliams has a reputation beyond repute MrSerenaWilliams has a reputation beyond repute MrSerenaWilliams has a reputation beyond repute MrSerenaWilliams has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Molik awarded Hobart WC

this is going to be the BEST.HOBART.EVER!

Rena-Chaky
Molik-Zheng semis
Old Dec 27th, 2006, 11:55 PM   #3
country flag Ben.

Ben. has a reputation beyond repute Ben. has a reputation beyond repute Ben. has a reputation beyond repute Ben. has a reputation beyond repute Ben. has a reputation beyond repute Ben. has a reputation beyond repute Ben. has a reputation beyond repute Ben. has a reputation beyond repute Ben. has a reputation beyond repute Ben. has a reputation beyond repute Ben. has a reputation beyond repute

great to hear that alicia is gonna play hobart. best if she plays this event cause she'll have a much better chance of winning a main draw match there rather than in sydney. but really alicia will still have to be at her best if she wants to get further in the tournament where she could bump into serena, anna c or even misa.

but hobart is her best chance than sydney though as i said before.
Ben. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28th, 2006, 02:01 AM   #4
country flag aussie_fan

aussie_fan has a brilliant future aussie_fan has a brilliant future aussie_fan has a brilliant future aussie_fan has a brilliant future aussie_fan has a brilliant future aussie_fan has a brilliant future aussie_fan has a brilliant future aussie_fan has a brilliant future aussie_fan has a brilliant future aussie_fan has a brilliant future aussie_fan has a brilliant future

I didn't expect this but it's a good choice from Alicia. She has got more chance of matchplay here and get a couple of wins under her belt and that's more important than losing 6-0,6-1 in the first round of sydney. Good choice.

Alicia Molik|Sam Stosur|Nicole Pratt|Casey Dellacqua|Sophie Fergsuon|Monqiue Adamczak|Jess Moore|And the rest of the aussies

Also support: Ana Ivanovic| Maria Kirilenko| Misa Krajicek| Marion Bartoli| Jarmila Gajdosova| Lucie Safarova
aussie_fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28th, 2006, 02:28 AM   #5
country flag DutchieGirl
On tour

DutchieGirl has a reputation beyond repute DutchieGirl has a reputation beyond repute DutchieGirl has a reputation beyond repute DutchieGirl has a reputation beyond repute DutchieGirl has a reputation beyond repute DutchieGirl has a reputation beyond repute DutchieGirl has a reputation beyond repute DutchieGirl has a reputation beyond repute DutchieGirl has a reputation beyond repute DutchieGirl has a reputation beyond repute DutchieGirl has a reputation beyond repute

OMG! The draw just got better. I thought everyone was saying she's gonna play Sydney. Now there's more chance there will still be someone I like left by the time the semi's roll around!

She & Him @ Melkweg "The Max", Amsterdam 6th May 2010
DutchieGirl is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28th, 2006, 02:56 AM   #6
country flag klok

klok has much to be proud of klok has much to be proud of klok has much to be proud of klok has much to be proud of klok has much to be proud of klok has much to be proud of klok has much to be proud of klok has much to be proud of klok has much to be proud of klok has much to be proud of klok has much to be proud of

That is awesome news. The draw for Hobart just keeps on getting better. I hope she wins it again.
klok is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28th, 2006, 03:59 AM   #7
country flag DutchieGirl
On tour

DutchieGirl has a reputation beyond repute DutchieGirl has a reputation beyond repute DutchieGirl has a reputation beyond repute DutchieGirl has a reputation beyond repute DutchieGirl has a reputation beyond repute DutchieGirl has a reputation beyond repute DutchieGirl has a reputation beyond repute DutchieGirl has a reputation beyond repute DutchieGirl has a reputation beyond repute DutchieGirl has a reputation beyond repute DutchieGirl has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by klok View Post
That is awesome news. The draw for Hobart just keeps on getting better. I hope she wins it again.
hehe Krajicek-Molik final would be ace!

Old Dec 28th, 2006, 04:03 AM   #8
country flag Ben.

Ben. has a reputation beyond repute Ben. has a reputation beyond repute Ben. has a reputation beyond repute Ben. has a reputation beyond repute Ben. has a reputation beyond repute Ben. has a reputation beyond repute Ben. has a reputation beyond repute Ben. has a reputation beyond repute Ben. has a reputation beyond repute Ben. has a reputation beyond repute Ben. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchieGirl View Post
OMG! The draw just got better. I thought everyone was saying she's gonna play Sydney. Now there's more chance there will still be someone I like left by the time the semi's roll around!
i'm happy for you glad she's gonna play hobart with a better chance of winning a match in front of your eyes.
Old Dec 28th, 2006, 04:07 AM   #9
country flag DutchieGirl
On tour

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg017 View Post
i'm happy for you glad she's gonna play hobart with a better chance of winning a match in front of your eyes.
I did see her play like 2 weeks ago anyway...but yeah, nice that there's another player in the hobart draw for me to cheer for...I can feel a bit less of a traitor, and actually wear my Aussie cap (erm now knowing my luck it'll be Alicia-Misa in the first round).

Old Dec 28th, 2006, 04:11 AM   #10
country flag Sunny_Boy

Sunny_Boy has a reputation beyond repute Sunny_Boy has a reputation beyond repute Sunny_Boy has a reputation beyond repute Sunny_Boy has a reputation beyond repute Sunny_Boy has a reputation beyond repute Sunny_Boy has a reputation beyond repute Sunny_Boy has a reputation beyond repute Sunny_Boy has a reputation beyond repute Sunny_Boy has a reputation beyond repute Sunny_Boy has a reputation beyond repute Sunny_Boy has a reputation beyond repute

So the final will be televised on TV?
Old Dec 28th, 2006, 04:19 AM   #11
country flag DutchieGirl
On tour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny_Boy View Post
final is on tv in Tas, dunno abotu the rest of Aus though... possibly.

Old Dec 28th, 2006, 04:29 AM   #12
country flag Martian Stacey
Team WTAworld

Martian Stacey has a reputation beyond repute Martian Stacey has a reputation beyond repute Martian Stacey has a reputation beyond repute Martian Stacey has a reputation beyond repute Martian Stacey has a reputation beyond repute Martian Stacey has a reputation beyond repute Martian Stacey has a reputation beyond repute Martian Stacey has a reputation beyond repute Martian Stacey has a reputation beyond repute Martian Stacey has a reputation beyond repute Martian Stacey has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny_Boy View Post
They never televise it in Sydney, they only show the Kooyong and Sydney events on free-to-air here.

Not sure about the other states
Old Dec 28th, 2006, 04:29 AM   #13
country flag Ben.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchieGirl View Post
I did see her play like 2 weeks ago anyway...but yeah, nice that there's another player in the hobart draw for me to cheer for...I can feel a bit less of a traitor, and actually wear my Aussie cap (erm now knowing my luck it'll be Alicia-Misa in the first round).
who will you be barricking for then if alicia faced misa? misa will be your most likely choice i would assume.
Old Dec 28th, 2006, 04:29 AM   #14
country flag Martian Stacey
Team WTAworld

Martian Stacey has a reputation beyond repute Martian Stacey has a reputation beyond repute Martian Stacey has a reputation beyond repute Martian Stacey has a reputation beyond repute Martian Stacey has a reputation beyond repute Martian Stacey has a reputation beyond repute Martian Stacey has a reputation beyond repute Martian Stacey has a reputation beyond repute Martian Stacey has a reputation beyond repute Martian Stacey has a reputation beyond repute Martian Stacey has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats Alicia I think she made the right choice by playing in Hobart instead of Sydney
Old Dec 28th, 2006, 04:33 AM   #15
country flag DutchieGirl
On tour

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg017 View Post
who will you be barricking for then if alicia faced misa? misa will be your most likely choice i would assume.
To answer any question like that, you only need to look at my sig...top 6 go in order. So yes, of course I'd be cheering for Misa.