~Petra Martic~ - Page 263 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread

Old Jun 30th, 2013, 07:14 AM   #3931
country flag ma re

ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute
Re: ~Petra Martic~

Not sure I'll have the strengh to watch it after the singles, but Bouchartic's match against Groeschke seems to be scheduled for a TV court tomorrow, 2nd on C10, right after Hsieh/Peng vs Jurak/Tanasugarn.
ma re is online now View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jun 30th, 2013, 01:05 PM   #3932
country flag Y. Player

Y. Player is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma re View Post
This is just too much, croat123 said it well: why bother fighting in the second if you are just going to give up?? This was mental through and through and if her camp doesn't realize this than there's someone braindead there. She gets herself into a great position and than starts planning her next vacation or tomorrow's lunch or some bullshit like that. She won the set and went on an imaginary stroll along the meadows of Neverland...pathetic. This is how you give someone a great b-day, Christmas, Hanukha, New Year's, Mother's day and National turtle day present all at once - a free pass into the last 16 of a slam.

Oh and, if you think I'm pissed, you don't know the half of it. Seriously considering to stop following women's tennis i.e. "international mental collapse extravaganza" altogether.

I saw the tragedy yesterday. She has obvious problems with her focus.

I would go as far as to say that technically she equals or is above Maria Sharapova.
Maria wins on the WTA tour on a regular basis and Petra doesn´t, so what is the difference?

Let´s take a look at Sharapovas attitude on the court. EVERY and I mean EVERY point she loses she considers a personal INSULT to her self image. No matter how bad a shot she has hit or no matter how great the other player plays, in her mind that´s only temporary, cause she(Maria) KNOWS Maria Sharapova is THE BETTER PLAYER! If you can force yourself into that kind of mindset, you have almost already won the tournament. Your opponent will spot no cracks in your demeanor. It will probably wear down the opponent mentally, since you don´t seem to respect whos the better player. This is Marias secret weapon. She looks upon every player with a disdain during her games. HOW DARE YOU QUESTION MY AUTHORITY GIRL?? It has taken her to a career Grand Slam. Im sure that attitude could take others equally far.

I good start for Petra would be to stop throwing her racket to the ground when shes disappointed. Thats free information to her opponent that shes unbalanced.

Tennis at the very top has ALWAYS been about breaking down your opponents hope.
To make your opponent feel its hopeless, thats the REAL key to success.

It´s brutal but nontheless true.

Last edited by Y. Player : Jun 30th, 2013 at 01:35 PM.
Y. Player is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jun 30th, 2013, 01:32 PM   #3933
country flag ma re

ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I agree with you Y. Player, tennis is a hugely mental sport, I'd say more so than many other individual sports, and that's why I like it. In fact, I'm more interested in that aspect of tennis, than the tecnical part, to be honest.

I do agree about Sharapova, she's figured a long time ago the importance of psyche in tennis and it helped her immensly. Not that her mental side is bulletproof (bring Serena to the court and she is seriously shaken right away), but she has developed enough of a "killer instinct" combined with focus and composure to bring her to incredible results. And that's how you create the intimidation factor and make it work for you. She is one of the very few (and I mean very, they're a more endangered species than panda bears) psychologically strong female players. Beside her, the Williams sisters and maybe the likes of Clijsters, there aren't that many to name (Graf was exceptional, not just in control of her emotions, but also in inteligence IMO).

Unfortunately, I don't see a mental giant yet among Croatian women. Majoli was anything but, however she was active during a time when different tennis was being played and there were virtually no mental giants around to compete with. Of the current crop Petra is obviously out of the question, Vekic and Konjuh are still too young to make a solid conclusion (although I already have my doubts about one of them) and Lucic is in a whole other category of headcases. It's a sad reality for the fans of Croatian women's tennis.
Old Jun 30th, 2013, 02:12 PM   #3934
country flag yenac

yenac is just really nice yenac is just really nice yenac is just really nice yenac is just really nice yenac is just really nice yenac is just really nice yenac is just really nice yenac is just really nice yenac is just really nice yenac is just really nice yenac is just really nice

IMO Konjuh could come closest to the title of mental giant. She has the perfect balance of talent and variety like Petra and Ajla maybe(Donna is still to one-dimensional), and is mentally fit enough to make it work for her. When 15-year old player wins 25k with second serve, wins the match after being 6:4 4:0 down,wins numerous matches after losing the first set, the only thing that can get in her way are injuries.
Old Jun 30th, 2013, 02:55 PM   #3935
country flag croat123

croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute

agreed, but i wouldn't write off donna's mental strength. just look at the win against rybarikova last week. most young players would have crumbled.

i really hope evert can help ajla overcome all of her fear. she's made some steps in the right direction...
Old Jun 30th, 2013, 03:11 PM   #3936
country flag Y. Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma re View Post
Of the current crop Petra is obviously out of the question.
I don´t think one should rule her out yet, shes still young.

I remember a couple of years ago, 2010 I think it was, when Aravane Rezai suddenly took a huge leap forward. I don´t know whos idea it was, if it was Serenas current coach Patrick or someone else, but she had this golden outfit and combined that with a swagger that was extremely positive. She hammered down some backhand winners and looked like this was perfectly normal to her. In Madrid Henin got crushed 1 round and she beat Venus Williams in the final. Sadly she continued to stare up towards her coach during matches when BPs or MPs were lost and that gave her opponents uneccesary boosts. Obviously she had deepdown doubts about her capacity and opponents started taking advantage of that. But for awhile she managed to intimidate a couple of top players just by looking unconcerned.

Petra should try and start every match with a pretty volley or a great pass and look like its normal play. Don´t cheer just look like its her gamequality.

Björn Borg said to his girlfriend Mariana Cimonescu from Romania(tennis player) that you should never look overwhelmed with joy when you beat a higher ranked player. By looking like you expected to win you will hammer down the other guys confidence until you meet him the next time. Demeanor is so important. It sends signals.
Old Jun 30th, 2013, 03:14 PM   #3937
country flag yenac

yenac is just really nice yenac is just really nice yenac is just really nice yenac is just really nice yenac is just really nice yenac is just really nice yenac is just really nice yenac is just really nice yenac is just really nice yenac is just really nice yenac is just really nice

We've slightly gone off topic, last thing I'll say on this regard is that I didn't write off Donna nor Ajla, especially Ajla after I've read the interview on 24sata. She said that she didn't get any physical training this year because she wants to go slow because of mono and everything. When you look at her and her game from that point of view, it's a miracle that she managed to reach her carrer high ranking of 132.(after Wimbledon) after being behind 500. place at the start of the season. It's no wonder that she chokes away any match, cause when you're not physically 100%, you can't be mentally fit enough( Ana managed to stay positive throughout the RG regardless of fatigue and injury which is why I think she'll be unstoppable when she fixes this problem with elbow). Of course, she had her chokefests even before mono, but I think we haven't seen the best of her, so we can't say she's a headcase at least until let's say July 2014. Donna has a different problem, she needs to develope more weapons in her game than just powerful serve and groundstrokes, and that will only make her feel more comfortable mentally in tight matches like that SF against Rybarikova.
Old Jun 30th, 2013, 07:59 PM   #3938
country flag Y. Player

Here´s a prime example of what I mean when I say swagger: Boris Becker

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWzkt8YfZBU

Nothing is more irritating then someone who seems to not even care what happens in the match and still is dead focused on producing lethal shots against you. You can´t tell if they feel hurt when you produce your best shots and when you feel that your opponent should feel more than satisfied with his shotmaking you see nothing but indifference.

That kind of behaviour not only helps demoralizing your opponent, it helps you feeling easy with yourself, that this is a walk in the park. Off Course you cannot have that without hard tennispractise, but when points are really important that kind of swagger will give you, with a 100 % certainty, the edge. Aravane looked a great deal like Becker during that Madrid week.

It will help your game immensely if you always feel that you are up against another loser. Present yourself as a superior player and you will become one. Never show any signs of mental weakness. If you DF during a critical point, look to the audience and pretend someone made a disturbing noise or change your racket and pretend a string broke. Never throw your racket like you blame yourself(that happened during Petras match against Kerber in last years French Open). Steffi Graf as you said Mare was great at it. I remember French Open final 1999 when she was up against Martina Hingis. At the end of the match the audience turned against Hingis and started booing, when she served underhand serves. Hingis begged for help from the umpire, but that was enough for Graf. Running to the umpires chair, Hingis sensed Graf was going to support her, that it was too noisy(Her eyes showed:Help me, please) But Graf just coldly complained about what the fuzz was all about. "Maybe we could sit down and chat for awhile or we could play tennis" "We are gonna play tennis?" " Ok let´s play then" Hingis felt utter lonlieness at that point, she was broken!

Last edited by Y. Player : Jun 30th, 2013 at 08:48 PM.
Old Jul 1st, 2013, 06:10 AM   #3939
country flag ma re

Quote:
Originally Posted by croat123 View Post
agreed, but i wouldn't write off donna's mental strength. just look at the win against rybarikova last week. most young players would have crumbled.
I didn't say I wrote her off, just that I have my doubts, and those come mostly from her w-l ratio in the finals. That's a bad sign so early in her career and one that signals she is not mentally there yet. Of course, she is young and I still hope to see a change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y. Player View Post
I remember French Open final 1999 when she was up against Martina Hingis.
That one was unforgetable - a classic example of bursting a teenager's bubble. Cruel but brilliant at the same time.

And yes, a player who shows as little emotions as possible stands a better chance of a positive outcome most of the times. Just look at Sampras' facial expression during his matches. You could inject all the botox of this world into his face and no one would ever know, cause he never changed his expression. Federer is close to that, but has too much temperament to challenge Sampras in that regard. I consider it a wonder he even managed to get his emotions under this much control.

But anyway, sorry for going off topic this much folks, back to Petra and her misadventures...
Old Jul 1st, 2013, 01:35 PM   #3940
country flag Bleeth

Bleeth is a name known to all Bleeth is a name known to all Bleeth is a name known to all Bleeth is a name known to all Bleeth is a name known to all Bleeth is a name known to all Bleeth is a name known to all Bleeth is a name known to all Bleeth is a name known to all Bleeth is a name known to all Bleeth is a name known to all

It looks like Bouchardić is not going past this round. Losing 4:6 *2:4 ATM. And i had so much more faith in them than in Jeca/Mikica double.
Bleeth is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jul 1st, 2013, 10:09 PM   #3941
country flag Greco

Greco has much to be proud of Greco has much to be proud of Greco has much to be proud of Greco has much to be proud of Greco has much to be proud of Greco has much to be proud of Greco has much to be proud of Greco has much to be proud of Greco has much to be proud of Greco has much to be proud of Greco has much to be proud of

3R - not bad

Touch me, touch me, don't be shy, I'll lay down face up this time, under you like a G.U.Y.

Croatian Tennis on facebook★
Greco is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jul 2nd, 2013, 06:09 AM   #3942
country flag ma re

Well, there's no shame in losing 4 & 4 to an experienced team like Groenefeld/Peschke who almost always play exclusively with eachother, especially if you have a partner with whom you've played very few matches thus far (if any).
Old Jul 5th, 2013, 12:16 PM   #3943
ajmo!

ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute

Have you guys seen the list list for WTA Budapest?

Cornet
Safarova
Halep
Scheepers
Beck
Larsson
Arruabarrena
Torró Flor
Tatishvili
Hradecka
Hlavackova
Cadantu
Babos
Bratchikova
Martic
Meusburger
Karatantcheva
Peer
Krunic
Majeric
Solovyeva
Van Uytvanck
Woerle-Scheller
Mayr-Achleitner
Kovinic
Zahlavova
Konta
Honcova
Jani
Bukta
Lukacs
ajmo! is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jul 5th, 2013, 03:16 PM   #3944
country flag ma re

Wow, Budapest sure looks good this time around!
Old Jul 6th, 2013, 12:05 PM   #3945
ajmo!

ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute

(1)Safarova v Solovyeva
Kovinic v Konta
(wc)Lukacs v Martic
Honcova v (6)Scheepers

Last in is Knoll, ranked #645
At least she already has 30 points in a pocket, it can only get better.
ajmo! is offline View My Blog!  
Closed Thread