~Petra Martic~ - Page 186 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Aug 25th, 2012, 10:09 PM   #2776
country flag TimeyWimey

TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of
Re: ~Petra Martic~

she has better chance to upset sam in the 1st match on ashe than in the middle match on other court, good luck
TimeyWimey is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Aug 26th, 2012, 07:17 AM   #2777
country flag ma re

ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute

Well, it makes sense to put the defending champion in the opening match of day 1 on the main court, not to mention that this scheduling is much better for me than if she was playing for example, 4th match of the day - so fine by me

I just hope it turns into a competitive one, regardless of the end result. Petra is certainly talented enough to make Sam's life a living hell, but we can't really expect too much at this point, all things considered. Eventhough Sam's 2012 US Open series has been less than impressive thus far, she still defeated Makarova with a loss of just 4 games and took Venus into the third in Cinci. Her good runs this year came on clay (with the exception of Doha) i.e. in Charleston, Madrid and RG. Other than that, she wasn't very impressive and even managed to lose to players like Flipkens (eventhough it was in a grasscourt tune-up, still counts). Of course, grass is her worst surface, followed by slower hardcourts, and Petra should look there for some answers. Players who don't deliver on grass are usually those who have a problem with low bounce, so that might hold the key to some of Petra's chances tomorrow. Also, given the fact that Sam is at home on clay, Petra should be careful with how much she'll use the Almighty Slice, as I don't think that would be very effective. The same goes for drop shots, as Sam has excellent net skills and good speed on court. Basically it'll be a clash of two very similar styles of play, so it should be entertaining.

The only things I see as real advantages of Petra tomorrow are:

- less pressure
- the ability to outsmart the opponent
- the fact that Sam is a choker par exellence (although choking away R1 of a major in which you're defending the title would be incredible even by her standards).

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed
ma re is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26th, 2012, 08:04 PM   #2778
country flag Rex59

Rex59 has much to be proud of Rex59 has much to be proud of Rex59 has much to be proud of Rex59 has much to be proud of Rex59 has much to be proud of Rex59 has much to be proud of Rex59 has much to be proud of Rex59 has much to be proud of Rex59 has much to be proud of Rex59 has much to be proud of Rex59 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma re View Post
Well, it makes sense to put the defending champion in the opening match of day 1 on the main court, not to mention that this scheduling is much better for me than if she was playing for example, 4th match of the day - so fine by me

I just hope it turns into a competitive one, regardless of the end result. Petra is certainly talented enough to make Sam's life a living hell, but we can't really expect too much at this point, all things considered. Eventhough Sam's 2012 US Open series has been less than impressive thus far, she still defeated Makarova with a loss of just 4 games and took Venus into the third in Cinci. Her good runs this year came on clay (with the exception of Doha) i.e. in Charleston, Madrid and RG. Other than that, she wasn't very impressive and even managed to lose to players like Flipkens (eventhough it was in a grasscourt tune-up, still counts). Of course, grass is her worst surface, followed by slower hardcourts, and Petra should look there for some answers. Players who don't deliver on grass are usually those who have a problem with low bounce, so that might hold the key to some of Petra's chances tomorrow. Also, given the fact that Sam is at home on clay, Petra should be careful with how much she'll use the Almighty Slice, as I don't think that would be very effective. The same goes for drop shots, as Sam has excellent net skills and good speed on court. Basically it'll be a clash of two very similar styles of play, so it should be entertaining.

The only things I see as real advantages of Petra tomorrow are:

- less pressure
- the ability to outsmart the opponent
- the fact that Sam is a choker par exellence (although choking away R1 of a major in which you're defending the title would be incredible even by her standards).

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed

Agreed that it makes sense to put the defending champion on Ashe for Day 1 of the Open. However, it would have been a night match, preceding Roger's match for Roger automatically gets prime time in the States. Yet, because this is Kim's last tourney for her career the tourney elected to honor her for what could be her final match, tho' not likely against the 16 year old, Victoria Duval. Otherwise, Sam as the defending champion would have been honored with the lst night match on Ashe.

Regarding the match, Petra hasn't played in 2 months. Not likely will she win tomorrow. Yet, game day always tells. We'll see...
Rex59 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27th, 2012, 03:33 PM   #2779
country flag TimeyWimey

TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of

i think that's it
Old Aug 27th, 2012, 03:44 PM   #2780
country flag Dan_Doe

Dan_Doe has a brilliant future Dan_Doe has a brilliant future Dan_Doe has a brilliant future Dan_Doe has a brilliant future Dan_Doe has a brilliant future Dan_Doe has a brilliant future Dan_Doe has a brilliant future Dan_Doe has a brilliant future Dan_Doe has a brilliant future Dan_Doe has a brilliant future Dan_Doe has a brilliant future

Petra showed a good game in the last two games of the set. I hope she will be closer in the second.
Dan_Doe is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27th, 2012, 03:49 PM   #2781
country flag Dan_Doe

Dan_Doe has a brilliant future Dan_Doe has a brilliant future Dan_Doe has a brilliant future Dan_Doe has a brilliant future Dan_Doe has a brilliant future Dan_Doe has a brilliant future Dan_Doe has a brilliant future Dan_Doe has a brilliant future Dan_Doe has a brilliant future Dan_Doe has a brilliant future Dan_Doe has a brilliant future

What did she say?
Dan_Doe is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27th, 2012, 04:13 PM   #2782
country flag Rex59

Rex59 has much to be proud of Rex59 has much to be proud of Rex59 has much to be proud of Rex59 has much to be proud of Rex59 has much to be proud of Rex59 has much to be proud of Rex59 has much to be proud of Rex59 has much to be proud of Rex59 has much to be proud of Rex59 has much to be proud of Rex59 has much to be proud of

Well, this was no match. No practice, no matches for 2 months = breadsticks for an early noon meal. Expected. Hoped for something else, despite the reality.
Old Aug 27th, 2012, 04:45 PM   #2783
country flag tennismaster8820
Sprem believer! :shrug:

tennismaster8820 has a reputation beyond repute tennismaster8820 has a reputation beyond repute tennismaster8820 has a reputation beyond repute tennismaster8820 has a reputation beyond repute tennismaster8820 has a reputation beyond repute tennismaster8820 has a reputation beyond repute tennismaster8820 has a reputation beyond repute tennismaster8820 has a reputation beyond repute tennismaster8820 has a reputation beyond repute tennismaster8820 has a reputation beyond repute tennismaster8820 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex59 View Post
Well, this was no match. No practice, no matches for 2 months = breadsticks for an early noon meal. Expected. Hoped for something else, despite the reality.
My thoughts exactly, except I didn't expect her to be this bad.
I thought she would at least win points regularly on her serve here and there.

Shame this year has been ruined by injury.
Hopefully she is trully healthy now at least.
tennismaster8820 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27th, 2012, 05:01 PM   #2784
country flag TimeyWimey

recover soon Petra
Old Aug 27th, 2012, 05:19 PM   #2785
country flag ma re

ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute

OK, this was hardly what I expected to see, but unfortunately it's the state of reality for now and we have to accept it.

In my opinion Petra deserved more than 2 games and I was actually happy to see her out there, battling and giving it her current best. I don't know why she hasn't entered any challengers prior to the Open (probably wasn't fully ready), cause it could've helped her at least a bit. Not sure if she's in the doubles draw (I'm guessing not), which might actually be helpful at this point - cause if there is something she needs right now, it's matches, matches and more matches.

What a year it has been; there were plans for top 30 finish at one point, and now she'll fall down some 10 more spots to around 75. Even closing the year in top 50 seems like an achievement from current perspective.

Anyway, looking forward to seeing her play again, hopefully very soon

Last edited by ma re : Aug 27th, 2012 at 05:46 PM.
Old Aug 27th, 2012, 05:26 PM   #2786
country flag Rex59

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma re View Post
OK, this was hardly what I expected to see, but unfortunately it's the state of reality for now and we have to accept it.

In my opinion Petra deserved more than 2 games and I was actually happy to see her out there, battling and giving it her current best. I don't know why she hasn't entered any challengers prior to the Open (probably wasn't fully ready), cause it could've helped her at least a bit. Not sure if she's in the doubles draw (I'm guessing not), which might actually be helpful at this point - cause if there is something she needs right now, it's matches, matches and more matches.

What a year it has been; there were planes for top 30 finish at one point, and now she'll fall down some 10 more spots to around 75. Even closing the year in top 50 seems like an achievement from current perspective.

Anyway, looking forward to seeing her play again, hopefully very soon

FYI....Petra is playing doubles with Groenfeld.
Old Aug 27th, 2012, 05:27 PM   #2787
country flag jetglo

jetglo has a reputation beyond repute jetglo has a reputation beyond repute jetglo has a reputation beyond repute jetglo has a reputation beyond repute jetglo has a reputation beyond repute jetglo has a reputation beyond repute jetglo has a reputation beyond repute jetglo has a reputation beyond repute jetglo has a reputation beyond repute jetglo has a reputation beyond repute jetglo has a reputation beyond repute

She's still in the doubles with Anna-Lena Groenefeld, so some more match practice at least.
jetglo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27th, 2012, 05:47 PM   #2788
country flag ma re

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex59 View Post
FYI....Petra is playing doubles with Groenfeld.
Thanks for the info
Old Aug 27th, 2012, 07:36 PM   #2789
country flag kuroishijin

kuroishijin is just really nice kuroishijin is just really nice kuroishijin is just really nice kuroishijin is just really nice kuroishijin is just really nice kuroishijin is just really nice kuroishijin is just really nice kuroishijin is just really nice kuroishijin is just really nice kuroishijin is just really nice kuroishijin is just really nice

She looked like out of energy in some of those exchanges of shots and her style of play requires superb form which she obviously lacks at the moment. I hope she would be able to put strings together, she has so much potential.
kuroishijin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27th, 2012, 08:48 PM   #2790
country flag croat123

croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute

yeah, it was just terrible circumstances. especially early on, i think she wasn't nearly agressive enough and she wasn't moving up to her forehands