~Petra Martic~ - Page 175 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jun 14th, 2012, 03:14 PM   #2611
country flag ma re

ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute
Re: ~Petra Martic~

Won the doubles R1 in a super tie-break. Well, it's not much of a consolation, but better than nothing I guess.
ma re is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jun 14th, 2012, 03:56 PM   #2612
country flag networthy

networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future

^ Great! And the better part of the news is it shows Petra is not injured.
networthy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14th, 2012, 05:24 PM   #2613
country flag Y. Player

Y. Player is an unknown quantity at this point

5-2 up deciding set 40-0 on serve and lost.

Well I get match-fixing vibes just by looking at those stats.

Hope she doesn´t do it, some day half of the WTA and ATP players will be suspended for life!

Rigging kills sports and fans will quit watching if it escalates. Greed is a mortal sin.
Y. Player is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14th, 2012, 06:21 PM   #2614
country flag networthy

networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y. Player View Post

Hope she doesn´t do it, some day half of the WTA and ATP players will be suspended for life!

Hmm, interesting--I hadn't thought about that possibility.

But I hope it's not true. Not our little Petra
Old Jun 14th, 2012, 06:47 PM   #2615
country flag ma re

ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute

No chance this one is rigged - she was defending a lot of points this week, so she wouldn't really benefit from it (unless someone offered her a small fortune in return, which I somehow doubt). This could also seriously affect her 2012 plans (top 30), so I don't think she'd mess around with match rigging, at this event in particular.
ma re is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14th, 2012, 10:21 PM   #2616
country flag Y. Player

Y. Player is an unknown quantity at this point

If I was a tennispro I would never engage in it. For reasons that are really obvious IF you are intelligent. One day you could face some player in a slamfinal whos connections are REALLY shady. Some Belarus girl who´s family knows the president or whatever. If YOU at that point are in any way dirty, you could possibly be blackmailed into losing that final, because of taperecordings or video or both proving you are involved in fixing matches. To face THAT after all the practice you´ve put in, I would never forgive myself.
Y. Player is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15th, 2012, 03:13 AM   #2617
country flag jetglo

jetglo has a reputation beyond repute jetglo has a reputation beyond repute jetglo has a reputation beyond repute jetglo has a reputation beyond repute jetglo has a reputation beyond repute jetglo has a reputation beyond repute jetglo has a reputation beyond repute jetglo has a reputation beyond repute jetglo has a reputation beyond repute jetglo has a reputation beyond repute jetglo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y. Player View Post
5-2 up deciding set 40-0 on serve and lost.

If you'd watched the match you'd know it was in no way fixed. She hurt her ankle/leg a couple of games from the end and looked like she might retire, but battled on, often not moving from one spot on the baseline. Even when it went to the tiebreak, she still nearly won it, despite everything. She started poorly but after the rain delay, she fought hard and despite the difficult conditions, got on top. At 5-2, 40-0 maybe she relaxed a little, but her opponent played very well to save the situation. I was disappointed to see her lose, but she never gave up despite the difficult conditions and she was clearly very frustrated by her situation.

I'm also disappointed you'd make such a serious accusation like that just based on stats. Either know your facts or say nothing.
jetglo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15th, 2012, 05:16 AM   #2618
country flag networthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetglo View Post
She hurt her ankle/leg a couple of games from the end and looked like she might retire, but battled on, often not moving from one spot on the baseline.(
Petra couldn't have been too injured--she played a tough doubles match today that went the distance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetglo View Post
I'm also disappointed you'd make such a serious accusation like that just based on stats. Either know your facts or say nothing.
Ease up. Y Player didn't make any actual accusations--just pointed out a perfectly plausible possibility.

If you read through my posts you'll see I'm a *huge* fan of Petra--yet I encourage people to speculate about her behavior (and that of every other player). Professional players are not heroes, they're fallible human beings like the rest of us. The temptation of match-fixing, or cheating, or use of performance-enhancing drugs, or what have you, will always be there. This is especially true for professional players, given the very high stakes.

Outright accusations aren't cool unless you have proof. On the other hand, some degree of speculation is very healthy. It's more likely to make fans vigilant of unethical behavior and to keep players from straying, if they know they're being scrutinized. It's much better than burying your head in the sand and pretending that these things don't go on. They do.
Old Jun 15th, 2012, 06:19 AM   #2619
country flag jetglo

jetglo has a reputation beyond repute jetglo has a reputation beyond repute jetglo has a reputation beyond repute jetglo has a reputation beyond repute jetglo has a reputation beyond repute jetglo has a reputation beyond repute jetglo has a reputation beyond repute jetglo has a reputation beyond repute jetglo has a reputation beyond repute jetglo has a reputation beyond repute jetglo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by networthy View Post
Petra couldn't have been too injured--she played a tough doubles match today that went the distance.

So your point is that, because she managed to get up for the next days doubles with massage, ice, rest, and maybe painkillers, that somehow it shouldn't have made any difference in the match where the injury occurred? Just how injured is "too injured" for you?

Ease up. Y Player didn't make any actual accusations--just pointed out a perfectly plausible possibility.

If you read through my posts you'll see I'm a *huge* fan of Petra--yet I encourage people to speculate about her behavior (and that of every other player). Professional players are not heroes, they're fallible human beings like the rest of us. The temptation of match-fixing, or cheating, or use of performance-enhancing drugs, or what have you, will always be there. This is especially true for professional players, given the very high stakes.

Outright accusations aren't cool unless you have proof. On the other hand, some degree of speculation is very healthy. It's more likely to make fans vigilant of unethical behavior and to keep players from straying, if they know they're being scrutinized. It's much better than burying your head in the sand and pretending that these things don't go on. They do.
Implied accusations aren't "cool" either, especially if it's just from a glance at some stats. If you think Petra match fixing in the first round of BG is "a perfectly plausible possibility", how can you be such a "HUGE" fan as you state?
jetglo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15th, 2012, 12:48 PM   #2620
country flag milesaway

milesaway is an unknown quantity at this point

I have to agree with jetglo, there's no way that match was fixed, Petra was fighting until the end. She could have given up after losing the first set, but she really gave her best. Unfortunately, it was not her day. Hoping for better luck at Wimbledon!

Anyway, some good news: Petra's through to the doubles semifinal! She and Groenefeld beat Lee-Walters and Moulton-Levy 6-3 6-3! And in the semi they play against Jurak and Marosi. So it's one Croatian in the final at least!

Do you guys think there's a chance of Petra and Darija playing the doubles at the Olympics? I don't know if they're interested and/or if they would make the cut?
milesaway is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16th, 2012, 09:41 AM   #2621
country flag Rix643
member of NSSA

Rix643 has a reputation beyond repute Rix643 has a reputation beyond repute Rix643 has a reputation beyond repute Rix643 has a reputation beyond repute Rix643 has a reputation beyond repute Rix643 has a reputation beyond repute Rix643 has a reputation beyond repute Rix643 has a reputation beyond repute Rix643 has a reputation beyond repute Rix643 has a reputation beyond repute Rix643 has a reputation beyond repute

As you can read at the WTA site, Petra Martic went for some paragliding. The tournament's organiziation asked me if I could take pictures of her landing behind the venue. These pictures were sent to the WTA, but since they decided not to publish them, I post them here to make the story complete for you. (Also posted in my 'Pictures from Bad Gastein' thread.)

Bibiane Weijers Official Facebook Fanpage: http://www.facebook.com/bibischoofs
Rix643 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16th, 2012, 09:41 AM   #2622
country flag Rix643
member of NSSA

Rix643 has a reputation beyond repute Rix643 has a reputation beyond repute Rix643 has a reputation beyond repute Rix643 has a reputation beyond repute Rix643 has a reputation beyond repute Rix643 has a reputation beyond repute Rix643 has a reputation beyond repute Rix643 has a reputation beyond repute Rix643 has a reputation beyond repute Rix643 has a reputation beyond repute Rix643 has a reputation beyond repute

Old Jun 16th, 2012, 09:41 AM   #2623
country flag Rix643
member of NSSA

Old Jun 16th, 2012, 09:41 AM   #2624
country flag Rix643
member of NSSA

Old Jun 16th, 2012, 09:41 AM   #2625
country flag Rix643
member of NSSA