Criticisms of Venus withdrawal - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Dec 21st, 2006, 02:07 PM   #1
country flag ptkten

ptkten has a reputation beyond repute ptkten has a reputation beyond repute ptkten has a reputation beyond repute ptkten has a reputation beyond repute ptkten has a reputation beyond repute ptkten has a reputation beyond repute ptkten has a reputation beyond repute ptkten has a reputation beyond repute ptkten has a reputation beyond repute ptkten has a reputation beyond repute ptkten has a reputation beyond repute
Criticisms of Venus withdrawal

Ryan made a great post in the thread abou Venus' withdrawal from Hopman Cup and I felt it deserved a new one; would everyone please stop criticizing her because we know that Larry Scott forces the players to enter the events. Venus HAS to enter, and then she's FORCED to withdraw because she can't play with her injury. I don't get the double standard, everyone praises Davenport for calling out the system, and then jumps all over Venus just because she is being forced to do something. I'm sure Venus wouldn't be entering all of these events if they didn't make her do it.

McHale-Stephens-Watson-Robson-Townsend

Brodsky-Muhammed-Hampton-Keys-Crawford-Andrews-Hardebeck
ptkten is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Dec 21st, 2006, 02:23 PM   #2
country flag tenn_ace

tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Criticisms of Venus withdrawal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptkten View Post
Ryan made a great post in the thread abou Venus' withdrawal from Hopman Cup and I felt it deserved a new one; would everyone please stop criticizing her because we know that Larry Scott forces the players to enter the events. Venus HAS to enter, and then she's FORCED to withdraw because she can't play with her injury. I don't get the double standard, everyone praises Davenport for calling out the system, and then jumps all over Venus just because she is being forced to do something. I'm sure Venus wouldn't be entering all of these events if they didn't make her do it.
To be fair Larry Scott has nothing to do with Hopman Cup.
Old Dec 21st, 2006, 03:42 PM   #3
TonyP

TonyP has a brilliant future TonyP has a brilliant future TonyP has a brilliant future TonyP has a brilliant future TonyP has a brilliant future TonyP has a brilliant future TonyP has a brilliant future TonyP has a brilliant future TonyP has a brilliant future TonyP has a brilliant future TonyP has a brilliant future

Hopman Cup is not a WTA event. So it is doubtful he made Venus enter it, when there are other WTA events going on at the very same time.

Whether or not the WTA is making players enter regular tour events, even when they are not fit and have no intention of playing, I don't know. But the idea that some people think that is proof the WTA is developing an image problem of its own.

What I think many people DO believe these days is that the WTA and the tournments delay announcement of withdrawals, sometimes until the last minute, hoping to sell more tickets in what amounts to a bait and switch scheme.

I think the Willies have just been the most visible players involved in frequent withdrawals, although there are others who have quit tournaments under what may be questionable circumstances.

I think Venus and Serena have actually reached the stage where people are now surprised when they do turn up and play.

Venus played just 18 matches this year, winning 12 of them, but taking no titles and, to my knowledge, not even getting to a final.
TonyP is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21st, 2006, 04:17 PM   #4
country flag Denise4925
Her Grace, The Duchess of Williamsburg

Denise4925 has a reputation beyond repute Denise4925 has a reputation beyond repute Denise4925 has a reputation beyond repute Denise4925 has a reputation beyond repute Denise4925 has a reputation beyond repute Denise4925 has a reputation beyond repute Denise4925 has a reputation beyond repute Denise4925 has a reputation beyond repute Denise4925 has a reputation beyond repute Denise4925 has a reputation beyond repute Denise4925 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyP View Post
Venus played just 18 matches this year, winning 12 of them, but taking no titles and, to my knowledge, not even getting to a final.
So what?!
Denise4925 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21st, 2006, 04:31 PM   #5
country flag cartmancop

cartmancop has a brilliant future cartmancop has a brilliant future cartmancop has a brilliant future cartmancop has a brilliant future cartmancop has a brilliant future cartmancop has a brilliant future cartmancop has a brilliant future cartmancop has a brilliant future cartmancop has a brilliant future cartmancop has a brilliant future cartmancop has a brilliant future

I agree that tournaments are very likely delaying the announcements of player withdrawals for their own profit and are letting players like Venus, etc. take the blame for late withdrawal...

I would rather her withdraw late and not play than try to make us happy and injure herself further, the good thing is that she has no points to defend from the beginning of the year really, or the rest of the year for that matter...
cartmancop is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21st, 2006, 04:35 PM   #6
country flag Drake1980

Drake1980 has a reputation beyond repute Drake1980 has a reputation beyond repute Drake1980 has a reputation beyond repute Drake1980 has a reputation beyond repute Drake1980 has a reputation beyond repute Drake1980 has a reputation beyond repute Drake1980 has a reputation beyond repute Drake1980 has a reputation beyond repute Drake1980 has a reputation beyond repute Drake1980 has a reputation beyond repute Drake1980 has a reputation beyond repute

OMG! She pulled out? Who is her replacement?

~CASTANO~MEUSBURGER~SADIKOVIC~J.Cohen~
Drake1980 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21st, 2006, 04:40 PM   #7
country flag Black Mamba.

Black Mamba. has a reputation beyond repute Black Mamba. has a reputation beyond repute Black Mamba. has a reputation beyond repute Black Mamba. has a reputation beyond repute Black Mamba. has a reputation beyond repute Black Mamba. has a reputation beyond repute Black Mamba. has a reputation beyond repute Black Mamba. has a reputation beyond repute Black Mamba. has a reputation beyond repute Black Mamba. has a reputation beyond repute Black Mamba. has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a huge Vee fan but the criticism for pulling out is warranted.
Old Dec 21st, 2006, 04:40 PM   #8
country flag cartmancop

cartmancop has a brilliant future cartmancop has a brilliant future cartmancop has a brilliant future cartmancop has a brilliant future cartmancop has a brilliant future cartmancop has a brilliant future cartmancop has a brilliant future cartmancop has a brilliant future cartmancop has a brilliant future cartmancop has a brilliant future cartmancop has a brilliant future

Harkleroad
cartmancop is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21st, 2006, 05:36 PM   #9
country flag Diesel
Been There... Won That... x2

Diesel has a reputation beyond repute Diesel has a reputation beyond repute Diesel has a reputation beyond repute Diesel has a reputation beyond repute Diesel has a reputation beyond repute Diesel has a reputation beyond repute Diesel has a reputation beyond repute Diesel has a reputation beyond repute Diesel has a reputation beyond repute Diesel has a reputation beyond repute Diesel has a reputation beyond repute

I find the criticism by those who dislike Venus amusing and far from genuine.
Imperious in victory. Never conceiving the possibility of defeat. The greatest of her era. The self-belief, that smile, backhand, muscles, serve, personality, all larger than life. There's no greater sight in women's tennis than watching Serena J. Williams go to work.
The others are Great, but Serena's the Greatest

Diesel is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21st, 2006, 05:54 PM   #10
country flag Couver
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

Couver has a reputation beyond repute Couver has a reputation beyond repute Couver has a reputation beyond repute Couver has a reputation beyond repute Couver has a reputation beyond repute Couver has a reputation beyond repute Couver has a reputation beyond repute Couver has a reputation beyond repute Couver has a reputation beyond repute Couver has a reputation beyond repute Couver has a reputation beyond repute

The criticism largely comes from people who are not fans of Venus, and in many cases from people who have openly disliked her for a number of years. Some replies to this thread are by people like that for example. You could bring up a billion different reasons about why it isn't a big deal, but it won't matter to them. Notice that Venus is not the first person to withdraw from this years HC, but she will be the most criticised for it. That's because WTA World has always been very polarized when it comes to the Williams Sisters. What other players are allowed to get away with, the top players and the sisters in particular cannot on this site. I find it futile to to try and change peoples minds because they won't change them. I prefer to laugh at their hypocrisy.

Couver is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21st, 2006, 06:13 PM   #11
country flag Diesel
Been There... Won That... x2

Diesel has a reputation beyond repute Diesel has a reputation beyond repute Diesel has a reputation beyond repute Diesel has a reputation beyond repute Diesel has a reputation beyond repute Diesel has a reputation beyond repute Diesel has a reputation beyond repute Diesel has a reputation beyond repute Diesel has a reputation beyond repute Diesel has a reputation beyond repute Diesel has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by luna_moonstone View Post
The criticism largely comes from people who are not fans of Venus, and in many cases from people who have openly disliked her for a number of years. Some replies to this thread are by people like that for example. You could bring up a billion different reasons about why it isn't a big deal, but it won't matter to them. Notice that Venus is not the first person to withdraw from this years HC, but she will be the most criticised for it. That's because WTA World has always been very polarized when it comes to the Williams Sisters. What other players are allowed to get away with, the top players and the sisters in particular cannot on this site. I find it futile to to try and change peoples minds because they won't change them. I prefer to laugh at their hypocrisy.
Imperious in victory. Never conceiving the possibility of defeat. The greatest of her era. The self-belief, that smile, backhand, muscles, serve, personality, all larger than life. There's no greater sight in women's tennis than watching Serena J. Williams go to work.
The others are Great, but Serena's the Greatest

Diesel is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21st, 2006, 08:55 PM   #12
country flag Hurley
Enemy of Art

Hurley has a reputation beyond repute Hurley has a reputation beyond repute Hurley has a reputation beyond repute Hurley has a reputation beyond repute Hurley has a reputation beyond repute Hurley has a reputation beyond repute Hurley has a reputation beyond repute Hurley has a reputation beyond repute Hurley has a reputation beyond repute Hurley has a reputation beyond repute Hurley has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Wow. Dumb.

Hopman Cup is a NON-WTA exhibition so nothing in this post makes a lick of sense.

Last edited by Hurley : Dec 21st, 2006 at 09:28 PM.
Hurley is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21st, 2006, 09:11 PM   #13
country flag LH2HBH

LH2HBH has a reputation beyond repute LH2HBH has a reputation beyond repute LH2HBH has a reputation beyond repute LH2HBH has a reputation beyond repute LH2HBH has a reputation beyond repute LH2HBH has a reputation beyond repute LH2HBH has a reputation beyond repute LH2HBH has a reputation beyond repute LH2HBH has a reputation beyond repute LH2HBH has a reputation beyond repute LH2HBH has a reputation beyond repute

I LOVE Venus Williams and this is just a sign of another dissappointing season ahead for me.

I'll keep my fingers crossed.

The second part to this story is usually a picture of her at some party in South Beach carrying on with some $%^ like Flava Flav
Old Dec 21st, 2006, 10:13 PM   #14
country flag Mattographer
TF's Resident Photographer

Mattographer has a reputation beyond repute Mattographer has a reputation beyond repute Mattographer has a reputation beyond repute Mattographer has a reputation beyond repute Mattographer has a reputation beyond repute Mattographer has a reputation beyond repute Mattographer has a reputation beyond repute Mattographer has a reputation beyond repute Mattographer has a reputation beyond repute Mattographer has a reputation beyond repute Mattographer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Just another pointless thread!

Larry Scott have nothing to do with Hopman Cup as it's an ITF event!

Listen to the silence. That's who I am and what I like.
Mattographer is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21st, 2006, 11:11 PM   #15
TonyP

TonyP has a brilliant future TonyP has a brilliant future TonyP has a brilliant future TonyP has a brilliant future TonyP has a brilliant future TonyP has a brilliant future TonyP has a brilliant future TonyP has a brilliant future TonyP has a brilliant future TonyP has a brilliant future TonyP has a brilliant future

I think a lot of people were prompted to comment here because of the claim that Larry Scott "forced" Venus to enter the Hopman Cup. How could he force her to enter any tournament and why would he force her to enter a non-WTA event?
TonyP is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote