Was Myskina winning Roland Garros 2004 the strangest Grand Slam win ever? - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Dec 20th, 2006, 10:49 AM   #1
country flag Dementieva Serve

Dementieva Serve is a name known to all Dementieva Serve is a name known to all Dementieva Serve is a name known to all Dementieva Serve is a name known to all Dementieva Serve is a name known to all Dementieva Serve is a name known to all Dementieva Serve is a name known to all Dementieva Serve is a name known to all Dementieva Serve is a name known to all Dementieva Serve is a name known to all Dementieva Serve is a name known to all
Was Myskina winning Roland Garros 2004 the strangest Grand Slam win ever?

Ok before I actually talk about this I just want to say one thing. I am not discrediting Myskina because I like her and she definitely 100% deserves to have won the 2004 Roland Garros title. I am just saying that it was a bit strange looking at her claycourt record in 2004 and her career, the opponents she played etc.

Anyway ...

If you look at Myskina French Open record If you look at her 2004 claycourt record prior to Roland Garros you will see that she only won one match and that was against a qualifier.

Her career Roland Garros record prior to 2004 was 1-4 ...

She benefited from several absences of players as well as players returning from injury such as Kim Clijsters being absent, Justine Henin-Hardenne being upset in the 2RD (probably due to her illness), Serena Williams fairly recently returning from injury, Amelie Mauresmo beaten by Elena Dementieva in QF etc.

Myskina had to come from a set down against Alicia Molik in the 1RD. In the next two rounds she came up against players ranked 68 and 70. In the 4RD she saved a match point against Svetlana Kuznetsova, Venus Williams had recently come off an injury, she beat Capriati easily in the SF after Capriati had thrashed Myskina just a couple of weeks before on clay. In the final Dementieva was incredibly nervous and Anastasia took complete advantage of it.

I say well done to Anastasia after all this she still managed to win Roland Garros 2004
Dementieva Serve is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Dec 20th, 2006, 11:02 AM   #2
country flag Billabong

Billabong has a reputation beyond repute Billabong has a reputation beyond repute Billabong has a reputation beyond repute Billabong has a reputation beyond repute Billabong has a reputation beyond repute Billabong has a reputation beyond repute Billabong has a reputation beyond repute Billabong has a reputation beyond repute Billabong has a reputation beyond repute Billabong has a reputation beyond repute Billabong has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Was Myskina winning Roland Garros 2004 the strangest Grand Slam win ever?

Maybe it was the strangest, but it is among my favorite Grand Slam victories ever!!! Nastya's wins from the 4th round were very impressive. Venus Williams had not lost a match on clay that season (she had won 2 or 3 clay tournaments not long before), and Capriati was coming off a great win over Serena in the quarters. Both Venus and Capriati played a horrible match against Nastya, but Nastya was simply SO consistent, she really believed in herself and it really made the difference I think. She was patient, solid and strong to win the whole thing, and you've got to give her credit for that!

Visit My Tennis Matches Website
Billabong is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20th, 2006, 11:05 AM   #3
Elenarulez

Elenarulez has disabled reputation

Yeah, it was one of the strangest Grand-Slam-wins in my opinion, but her victory was well-deserved ... although I wanted Elena to win the whole thing
Elenarulez is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20th, 2006, 11:06 AM   #4
country flag A'DAM

A'DAM has a brilliant future A'DAM has a brilliant future A'DAM has a brilliant future A'DAM has a brilliant future A'DAM has a brilliant future A'DAM has a brilliant future A'DAM has a brilliant future A'DAM has a brilliant future A'DAM has a brilliant future A'DAM has a brilliant future A'DAM has a brilliant future

No Majoli RG was
Old Dec 20th, 2006, 11:18 AM   #5
country flag LoveFifteen
Gone with the Wind fabulous!

LoveFifteen has a reputation beyond repute LoveFifteen has a reputation beyond repute LoveFifteen has a reputation beyond repute LoveFifteen has a reputation beyond repute LoveFifteen has a reputation beyond repute LoveFifteen has a reputation beyond repute LoveFifteen has a reputation beyond repute LoveFifteen has a reputation beyond repute LoveFifteen has a reputation beyond repute LoveFifteen has a reputation beyond repute LoveFifteen has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADAM MAROC View Post
No Majoli RG was
Why, Martina, why?
LoveFifteen is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20th, 2006, 11:20 AM   #6
country flag Martian Willow
Team WTAworld

Martian Willow has a reputation beyond repute Martian Willow has a reputation beyond repute Martian Willow has a reputation beyond repute Martian Willow has a reputation beyond repute Martian Willow has a reputation beyond repute Martian Willow has a reputation beyond repute Martian Willow has a reputation beyond repute Martian Willow has a reputation beyond repute Martian Willow has a reputation beyond repute Martian Willow has a reputation beyond repute Martian Willow has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billabong View Post
Yeah, she was barely ranked in the top-50 when she won, whereas Nastya was firmly in the top-10
Majoli was seeded #9.
Martian Willow is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20th, 2006, 11:20 AM   #7
country flag dybbuk

dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute

no. I think Mauresmo's Aussie is up there. three retirements, back-to-back in the semi's and final.
dybbuk is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20th, 2006, 11:22 AM   #8
country flag Tenis Srbija

Tenis Srbija has a reputation beyond repute Tenis Srbija has a reputation beyond repute Tenis Srbija has a reputation beyond repute Tenis Srbija has a reputation beyond repute Tenis Srbija has a reputation beyond repute Tenis Srbija has a reputation beyond repute Tenis Srbija has a reputation beyond repute Tenis Srbija has a reputation beyond repute Tenis Srbija has a reputation beyond repute Tenis Srbija has a reputation beyond repute Tenis Srbija has a reputation beyond repute

No...

Instagram
Tenis Srbija is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20th, 2006, 11:25 AM   #9
country flag MLF

MLF has a reputation beyond repute MLF has a reputation beyond repute MLF has a reputation beyond repute MLF has a reputation beyond repute MLF has a reputation beyond repute MLF has a reputation beyond repute MLF has a reputation beyond repute MLF has a reputation beyond repute MLF has a reputation beyond repute MLF has a reputation beyond repute MLF has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADAM MAROC View Post
No Majoli RG was
No, Majoli was always considered a very good prospect, she was just a little shy of hard work. Even though she was ranked highly at the time I'd say Martinez winning Wimbledon in 1994 was more surprising than Myskina winning Roland Garros.
MLF is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20th, 2006, 11:29 AM   #10
country flag lilimi

lilimi has a reputation beyond repute lilimi has a reputation beyond repute lilimi has a reputation beyond repute lilimi has a reputation beyond repute lilimi has a reputation beyond repute lilimi has a reputation beyond repute lilimi has a reputation beyond repute lilimi has a reputation beyond repute lilimi has a reputation beyond repute lilimi has a reputation beyond repute lilimi has a reputation beyond repute

the funny thing is that since march 2004 i was telling my family that nastya would won the French Open and that she would beat another russian. they were like 'of course, anastasia who?'. but when the final came they were like 'OMG'!
Old Dec 20th, 2006, 11:30 AM   #11
country flag Billabong

Billabong has a reputation beyond repute Billabong has a reputation beyond repute Billabong has a reputation beyond repute Billabong has a reputation beyond repute Billabong has a reputation beyond repute Billabong has a reputation beyond repute Billabong has a reputation beyond repute Billabong has a reputation beyond repute Billabong has a reputation beyond repute Billabong has a reputation beyond repute Billabong has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martian Willow View Post
Majoli was seeded #9.
Oops, you're right thanks for the correction

Visit My Tennis Matches Website
Billabong is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20th, 2006, 11:34 AM   #12
country flag Fire_Fox

Fire_Fox has a reputation beyond repute Fire_Fox has a reputation beyond repute Fire_Fox has a reputation beyond repute Fire_Fox has a reputation beyond repute Fire_Fox has a reputation beyond repute Fire_Fox has a reputation beyond repute Fire_Fox has a reputation beyond repute Fire_Fox has a reputation beyond repute Fire_Fox has a reputation beyond repute Fire_Fox has a reputation beyond repute Fire_Fox has a reputation beyond repute

Of course no! I think Nastya was the best on that period.

But Dementieva than defeted all potential favourites.
Fire_Fox is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20th, 2006, 11:38 AM   #13
country flag AnnaK_4ever

AnnaK_4ever has a reputation beyond repute AnnaK_4ever has a reputation beyond repute AnnaK_4ever has a reputation beyond repute AnnaK_4ever has a reputation beyond repute AnnaK_4ever has a reputation beyond repute AnnaK_4ever has a reputation beyond repute AnnaK_4ever has a reputation beyond repute AnnaK_4ever has a reputation beyond repute AnnaK_4ever has a reputation beyond repute AnnaK_4ever has a reputation beyond repute AnnaK_4ever has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire_Fox View Post
Of course no! I think Nastya was the best on that period.

But Dementieva than defeted all potential favourites.
Davenport and Mauresmo? The favourites at the French Open?
AnnaK_4ever is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20th, 2006, 11:46 AM   #14
country flag Fire_Fox

Fire_Fox has a reputation beyond repute Fire_Fox has a reputation beyond repute Fire_Fox has a reputation beyond repute Fire_Fox has a reputation beyond repute Fire_Fox has a reputation beyond repute Fire_Fox has a reputation beyond repute Fire_Fox has a reputation beyond repute Fire_Fox has a reputation beyond repute Fire_Fox has a reputation beyond repute Fire_Fox has a reputation beyond repute Fire_Fox has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaK_4ever View Post
Davenport and Mauresmo? The favourites at the French Open?
Yes! & Paula Suarez too!
Fire_Fox is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20th, 2006, 11:46 AM   #15
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

Nastya had finished 2003 winning Leipzig and Moscow.
She made the 2004 AO quarters and IW semis..
so she was playing like she was near the top 5.

So I don't think it was stranger than Sveta's USO.
You need luck, and to peak in week 2.
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote