why are players allowed as long as they like to make a challenge ?? - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Nov 10th, 2006, 02:23 PM   #1
country flag TheBoiledEgg
Moderator - Challengers & Juniors

TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down why are players allowed as long as they like to make a challenge ??

seen this plenty of times this week,
some taken around a min then they still allowed to make the challenge

umpire looks hopeless and gutless and say "ummmmm ok"

ATP umpires were much better and told the players you cant make challenge now, you taken too much time, player dont argue cos its his own damn fault, you cant disrupt the opponent by hanging around and waiting for a signal from your camp
MINELLA LARRIERETsurenkoAlize Lim*El Tabakh*Robson*Cirstea*Juhaszova*Zanevska*Broady*Bouchard*Savic*M irza*Pennetta*Hantuchova*Cibulkova*Ivanovic*Fitzpatrick*Remondina*Domachowska*Flipkens*Hercog*Hofmanova*Schoofs*Cet kovska *Svitolina*Pliskova's*Rus
http://www.twitter.com/TheBoiledEgg
TheBoiledEgg is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Nov 10th, 2006, 02:29 PM   #2
country flag random fan

random fan has a brilliant future random fan has a brilliant future random fan has a brilliant future random fan has a brilliant future random fan has a brilliant future random fan has a brilliant future random fan has a brilliant future random fan has a brilliant future random fan has a brilliant future random fan has a brilliant future random fan has a brilliant future
Re: why are players allowed as long as they like to make a challenge ??

I saw on this tournament as Petrova made two challenges in a row after line judge mistakengly faulted her first serves. I say first get decent line judges
Old Nov 10th, 2006, 02:32 PM   #3
country flag Corswandt

Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoiledEgg View Post
you cant disrupt the opponent by hanging around and waiting for a signal from your camp
I know who you're talking about, and I've noticed she's done this on other tournaments before. In one instance, her coach was actually caught on camera signalling "Don't bother".
Corswandt is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10th, 2006, 02:34 PM   #4

TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corswandt View Post
I know who you're talking about, and I've noticed she's done this on other tournaments before.
it wasnt just one person
Henin did this twice yesterday

went up to net, had a look, walked back, thought for a few secs
then made a decision to challenge
MINELLA LARRIERETsurenkoAlize Lim*El Tabakh*Robson*Cirstea*Juhaszova*Zanevska*Broady*Bouchard*Savic*M irza*Pennetta*Hantuchova*Cibulkova*Ivanovic*Fitzpatrick*Remondina*Domachowska*Flipkens*Hercog*Hofmanova*Schoofs*Cet kovska *Svitolina*Pliskova's*Rus
Old Nov 10th, 2006, 02:38 PM   #5
country flag lynch79

lynch79 is a name known to all lynch79 is a name known to all lynch79 is a name known to all lynch79 is a name known to all lynch79 is a name known to all lynch79 is a name known to all lynch79 is a name known to all lynch79 is a name known to all lynch79 is a name known to all lynch79 is a name known to all lynch79 is a name known to all

Quote:
it wasnt just one person

LEAVE JUJU (Allez Martina!) ALONE!!!

Of course, if she loses today vs Amelie, you're totally right and I'll join you.
lynch79 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10th, 2006, 02:40 PM   #6
moby

moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute

Partly because the umpire should be over-ruling some of the calls instead of forcing the players to challenge every one of them. It's the umpire's responsibility to do so, and if he/she can't and puts the onus back on the players, the players have the right to make sure of their decisions before challenging.

Ultimately, it still comes down to the umpires being increasingly hopeless and gutless and reliant on the technology. That's just my opinion, of course.
Love long has taken for his amulet/One perfect rose.
Why is it no one ever sent me yet/One perfect limousine, do you suppose?
Ah no, it's always just my luck to get/One perfect rose.
moby is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10th, 2006, 02:41 PM   #7
country flag Corswandt

Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
it wasnt just one person
It was JHH I was talking about.

Quote:
Presumably after getting a signal from Carlos Rodriguez telling her what to do. I saw him do so at the USO SF.
Corswandt is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10th, 2006, 02:45 PM   #8
country flag shibster

shibster has much to be proud of shibster has much to be proud of shibster has much to be proud of shibster has much to be proud of shibster has much to be proud of shibster has much to be proud of shibster has much to be proud of shibster has much to be proud of shibster has much to be proud of shibster has much to be proud of shibster has much to be proud of

yeah, the line judges stink so bad, the umpire is just glad to be calling scores, a decoration function.

i mean, why do the players need to call their own in and outs where this is a tournament, not like when i'm playing with my friends?
shibster is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10th, 2006, 02:56 PM   #9
country flag tenn_ace

tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute

ppl I now from a good source that chair umpires HAVE BEEN TOLD not to basically overrule close calls and let players challenge it, so this issue really has to be put to bed. Umpires are not bad, they just follow what they are told to do.

now, why they give so much time? It's partially for the same reason as why they don't overrule. The challenge system is now an "entertaining" part of tennis which supposedly well recieved by fans and generates interest, so WTA and ATP want as many of those challenges on TV as possible.
Old Nov 10th, 2006, 03:00 PM   #10
country flag Kim's_fan_4ever
The only girl in the world.

Kim's_fan_4ever has a reputation beyond repute Kim's_fan_4ever has a reputation beyond repute Kim's_fan_4ever has a reputation beyond repute Kim's_fan_4ever has a reputation beyond repute Kim's_fan_4ever has a reputation beyond repute Kim's_fan_4ever has a reputation beyond repute Kim's_fan_4ever has a reputation beyond repute Kim's_fan_4ever has a reputation beyond repute Kim's_fan_4ever has a reputation beyond repute Kim's_fan_4ever has a reputation beyond repute Kim's_fan_4ever has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know, maybe it's because the line umpires are so poor
Sometimes it also happens when a player haven't heard the line umpire's call and then when the chair umpire says the score she can ask for an challenge too. I happened in one match but I don't remember which players asked for it.

Kim's_fan_4ever is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10th, 2006, 03:01 PM   #11
country flag GoDominique

GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenn_ace View Post
ppl I now from a good source that chair umpires HAVE BEEN TOLD not to basically overrule close calls and let players challenge it, so this issue really has to be put to bed. Umpires are not bad, they just follow what they are told to do.
Well then this issue is not over by any means, since it's yet another example for terrible WTA decisions.

They might as well let the players make the calls and remove the umpire altogether since their existence is no longer needed.
GoDominique is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10th, 2006, 03:04 PM   #12

its better when the Umpire over-rules and the player then goes against the Umpire and challenges
thats what we had in Madrid TMS and Paris TMS

Umpires over-ruled quite alot and they werent gutless like all the WTA umpires are........ where's Sandra
Old Nov 10th, 2006, 03:05 PM   #13
country flag tenn_ace

tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoDominique View Post
Well then this issue is not over by any means, since it's yet another example for terrible WTA decisions.

They might as well let the players make the calls and remove the umpire altogether since their existence is no longer needed.
This is not only WTA's decision, it's ATP's as well.

You are also forgetting that the challenge systems is only used on show courts and in the biggest tournaments. The absolute majority of the tournaments do not use it and will not for at least another couple of years.
Old Nov 10th, 2006, 03:08 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenn_ace View Post
This is not only WTA's decision, it's ATP's as well.

You are also forgetting that the challenge systems is only used on show courts and in the biggest tournaments. The absolute majority of the tournaments do not use it and will not for at least another couple of years.
it's not the ATP way

the umpires at the TMS over-ruled alot of times like i just said above.

and when the player took too long to challenge, the Umpire just told the player, you cant challenge now, wasted too much time.
Old Nov 10th, 2006, 03:10 PM   #15
country flag tenn_ace

Quote:
it's not the ATP way

the umpires at the TMS over-ruled alot of times like i just said above.

and when the player took too long to challenge, the Umpire just told the player, you cant challenge now, wasted too much time.

It's probably slightly better on ATP, but the premise is the same. Challenge system is important and it should be on TV.