Players who gave up tennis careers for education... - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Oct 30th, 2006, 10:23 PM   #1
country flag tenn_ace

tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute
Players who gave up tennis careers for education...

Surely that most of names here will be juniors, but there are some 'older' players as well... Name also the institution they went to (if possible).

I will start

Lena Litvak - now in Harvard University
Beier Ko - now in Hravard University
Advertisement

Old Oct 30th, 2006, 10:36 PM   #2
country flag trivfun

trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of
Re: Players who gave up tennis careers for education...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenn_ace View Post
Surely that most of names here will be juniors, but there are some 'older' players as well... Name also the institution they went to (if possible).

I will start

Lena Litvak - now in Harvard University

Jeanne Arth U.S. Nationals semi's in singles (1958) and doubles champions with Darlene Hard in 1958 and 1959, also won the 1959 Wimbledon with Darlene. She quit after 1959 because amateur tennis couldn't pay her bills despite being a top 10 singles. She became an educator and counselor in the Minnesota schools. She went to the College of St. Catherine in Minnesota and graduated in 1956. Y
Old Oct 30th, 2006, 10:42 PM   #3
auntie janie

auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute

Neyssa Etienne. from Haiti. University of South Florida
Monika Dancevic (Frank's sister). University of Miami (Florida).
auntie janie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30th, 2006, 11:14 PM   #4
country flag hu2891601

hu2891601 has much to be proud of hu2891601 has much to be proud of hu2891601 has much to be proud of hu2891601 has much to be proud of hu2891601 has much to be proud of hu2891601 has much to be proud of hu2891601 has much to be proud of hu2891601 has much to be proud of hu2891601 has much to be proud of hu2891601 has much to be proud of hu2891601 has much to be proud of

interesting thread! I would like to know more about those people. ^_^
Old Oct 30th, 2006, 11:23 PM   #5
country flag partbrit

partbrit has disabled reputation

Sally Ride
partbrit is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30th, 2006, 11:32 PM   #6
auntie janie

auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by hu2891601 View Post
interesting thread! I would like to know more about those people. ^_^
http://www.collegetennisonline.com/v...asp?plId=48304

http://www.collegetennisonline.com/v...asp?plId=53032
auntie janie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30th, 2006, 11:57 PM   #7
country flag Joana

Joana has a reputation beyond repute Joana has a reputation beyond repute Joana has a reputation beyond repute Joana has a reputation beyond repute Joana has a reputation beyond repute Joana has a reputation beyond repute Joana has a reputation beyond repute Joana has a reputation beyond repute Joana has a reputation beyond repute Joana has a reputation beyond repute Joana has a reputation beyond repute

Eva Dyrberg from Denmark gave up tennis at the age of 22 in order to study medicine in Copenhagen. She was ranked inside top 100 and had wins over Maleeva, Pratt, Kremer and Matevzic among others.
Joana is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31st, 2006, 12:32 AM   #8
vogus

vogus has a reputation beyond repute vogus has a reputation beyond repute vogus has a reputation beyond repute vogus has a reputation beyond repute vogus has a reputation beyond repute vogus has a reputation beyond repute vogus has a reputation beyond repute vogus has a reputation beyond repute vogus has a reputation beyond repute vogus has a reputation beyond repute vogus has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joana View Post
Eva Dyrberg from Denmark gave up tennis at the age of 22 in order to study medicine in Copenhagen. She was ranked inside top 100 and had wins over Maleeva, Pratt, Kremer and Matevzic among others.

A player who reaches the Top 100 and then quits for educational reasons is very, very rare. I can't think of any other examples of this.
vogus is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31st, 2006, 12:37 AM   #9
country flag Hantuchov
Team WTAworld

Hantuchov has a reputation beyond repute Hantuchov has a reputation beyond repute Hantuchov has a reputation beyond repute Hantuchov has a reputation beyond repute Hantuchov has a reputation beyond repute Hantuchov has a reputation beyond repute Hantuchov has a reputation beyond repute Hantuchov has a reputation beyond repute Hantuchov has a reputation beyond repute Hantuchov has a reputation beyond repute Hantuchov has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by vogus View Post
A player who reaches the Top 100 and then quits for educational reasons is very, very rare. I can't think of any other examples of this.
Didn't Irvin stop playing to get a degree as well ?!
I think I've read sth about that...

I think Marta Marrero started studying in an university, too, maybe last year, not sure tho.
Hantuchov is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31st, 2006, 12:43 AM   #10
vogus

vogus has a reputation beyond repute vogus has a reputation beyond repute vogus has a reputation beyond repute vogus has a reputation beyond repute vogus has a reputation beyond repute vogus has a reputation beyond repute vogus has a reputation beyond repute vogus has a reputation beyond repute vogus has a reputation beyond repute vogus has a reputation beyond repute vogus has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hantuchov View Post
Didn't Irvin stop playing to get a degree as well ?!
I think I've read sth about that...

I think Marta Marrero started studying in an university, too, maybe last year, not sure tho.

Irvin and Marrero were both suffering from long period of stagnating results before they quit though. I'm talking about a player who actually gives up her tennis career when it's on the upswing, and Dyrberg is the only one i can think of who fits that example.
Old Oct 31st, 2006, 12:48 AM   #11
country flag rockstar

rockstar has a reputation beyond repute rockstar has a reputation beyond repute rockstar has a reputation beyond repute rockstar has a reputation beyond repute rockstar has a reputation beyond repute rockstar has a reputation beyond repute rockstar has a reputation beyond repute rockstar has a reputation beyond repute rockstar has a reputation beyond repute rockstar has a reputation beyond repute rockstar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joana View Post
she won a dubs title with daniela too

JELENA JANKOVIC - CAROLINE WOZNIACKI
rockstar is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31st, 2006, 12:54 AM   #12
country flag Hantuchov
Team WTAworld

Hantuchov has a reputation beyond repute Hantuchov has a reputation beyond repute Hantuchov has a reputation beyond repute Hantuchov has a reputation beyond repute Hantuchov has a reputation beyond repute Hantuchov has a reputation beyond repute Hantuchov has a reputation beyond repute Hantuchov has a reputation beyond repute Hantuchov has a reputation beyond repute Hantuchov has a reputation beyond repute Hantuchov has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by vogus View Post
Irvin and Marrero were both suffering from long period of stagnating results before they quit though. I'm talking about a player who actually gives up her tennis career when it's on the upswing, and Dyrberg is the only one i can think of who fits that example.
Irvin beat Safina and Dulko last year, before giving up on tennis, at least for a while. I dunno how low her ranking was at that time, but she was doing WAY better than Marta, who was down to 200's when she started studying.
Hantuchov is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31st, 2006, 01:04 AM   #13
vogus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hantuchov View Post
Irvin beat Safina and Dulko last year, before giving up on tennis, at least for a while. I dunno how low her ranking was at that time, but she was doing WAY better than Marta, who was down to 200's when she started studying.

ok Irvin was not doing as badly as Marta, but she was 26 y.o., and definitely past her prime as a player.
Old Oct 31st, 2006, 06:21 AM   #14
country flag Rising Sun

Rising Sun has a brilliant future Rising Sun has a brilliant future Rising Sun has a brilliant future Rising Sun has a brilliant future Rising Sun has a brilliant future Rising Sun has a brilliant future Rising Sun has a brilliant future Rising Sun has a brilliant future Rising Sun has a brilliant future Rising Sun has a brilliant future Rising Sun has a brilliant future

Anne Miller retired while in the Top 50 in 1998...
Rising Sun is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31st, 2006, 06:27 AM   #15
country flag xin_hui

xin_hui has a reputation beyond repute xin_hui has a reputation beyond repute xin_hui has a reputation beyond repute xin_hui has a reputation beyond repute xin_hui has a reputation beyond repute xin_hui has a reputation beyond repute xin_hui has a reputation beyond repute xin_hui has a reputation beyond repute xin_hui has a reputation beyond repute xin_hui has a reputation beyond repute xin_hui has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenn_ace View Post
beier
xin_hui is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote