News and updates about Victoria Azarenka - Page 42 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 26th, 2013, 10:15 PM   #616
country flag hurricanejeanne

hurricanejeanne has a reputation beyond repute hurricanejeanne has a reputation beyond repute hurricanejeanne has a reputation beyond repute hurricanejeanne has a reputation beyond repute hurricanejeanne has a reputation beyond repute hurricanejeanne has a reputation beyond repute hurricanejeanne has a reputation beyond repute hurricanejeanne has a reputation beyond repute hurricanejeanne has a reputation beyond repute hurricanejeanne has a reputation beyond repute hurricanejeanne has a reputation beyond repute
Re: News and updates about Victoria Azarenka

Vika
She's really starting to come into her own.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 26th, 2013, 10:35 PM   #617
country flag ozza

ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute

Lol who on earth come up with that Djokovic question.
ozza is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7th, 2013, 10:10 AM   #618
country flag ozza

ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute

From Jon Wertheim's mailbag for Sports Illustrated.

Quote:
Q: Did you know you had this in you? Or did you surprise yourself with how you came through?
A: In a way, yes. In another way, I was just being me, not thinking, "What do I have to do to prove myself?" I was just being myself. ... Everything in life teaches you a lesson. It's not ironic, "What doesn't kill makes you stronger." You know the song? I always try with everything bad to take the positive out of it. At that moment it might be, "What looks positive about this?" But after a while you realize, you convince yourself it's the right thing to do. I just try to stay positive and I guess I'm pretty tough.

Q: When match point ended, you kissed your crucifix before you went to the net. What role does faith play in your career?
A: Well, I'm Orthodox. Everyone has their own religion, their own faith on certain levels. I believe in God. I believe God makes you stronger. But I also believe in being a good person, making everyone happy.

Q: What does popularity mean to you?
A: A lot of work. It takes a lot of work. I never think of myself as a popular person. I just think of myself as a regular person, a fan of music and movies. I saw Robert De Niro and was shaking. I don't think, "Oh, I'm also a little bit popular." I just enjoy those moments on the spotlight and seeing people react. It's a privilege and I can never take it for granted.

Q: Do you feel hurt that public perception might be -- that you're not the person people might be reading about or seeing on TV?
A: I think it was a little unfair. But I always give people the benefit of the doubt. Maybe nobody gave me that. ... I think it's my job also to show my personality.
Old Feb 14th, 2013, 04:45 PM   #619
country flag nastya

nastya is a splendid one to behold nastya is a splendid one to behold nastya is a splendid one to behold nastya is a splendid one to behold nastya is a splendid one to behold nastya is a splendid one to behold nastya is a splendid one to behold nastya is a splendid one to behold nastya is a splendid one to behold nastya is a splendid one to behold nastya is a splendid one to behold

Press conference after R2
V. AZARENKA/R. Oprandi
6‑2, 6‑3

Quote:

THE MODERATOR: Questions, please.

Q. Can you just talk to us about the match and how tough was it playing in the conditions like this?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Well, it wasn't easy, for sure, but you never want to take this as an excuse because it's the same for both players.
You know, I think she's a very tricky opponent, especially in those conditions. You know, when you haven't played a match, it can be a little bit tricky, as well.
I'm glad I could turn around. I felt like it was a little bit of a slow start for me. I started to go too much for my shots at the beginning. Then I started to be more patient, work more the points. Got me more into the game and started to play much better.

Q. To be able to come back from 2‑0 and adjust from the conditions, that must feel good.
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Definitely. I never want to underestimate my opponent. I think she's very talented girl, and you could see, you know, she's kind of a flashy player, a little bit. If you don't put enough pressure on her, don't put her in the situation she doesn't like, she will go for her shots and make you a little bit crazy on the court and change the rhythm.
So it was important to just try to stay on top of her, not to let her play her game that she likes.

Q. I think you guys had a match in French Open a couple of years ago when she won.
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Against who?

Q. Against Romina.
VICTORIA AZARENKA: No. No. I don't remember that. Did it happen?

Q. I think so, yeah. I just read it before I came in here.
VICTORIA AZARENKA: I don't remember that. I think I lost to her very long time ago. It was in Croatia, actually.

Q. Do you remember anything from that? How different was it?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: No, I don't remember. It was long time ago.

Q. I think you play Christina McHale next. Can you just tell us how you look ahead to that match and how you think of her game?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: I don't think I played against Christina in a real match before. We played an exhibition or something once.
I think she's a very talented girl. She has a great game and coming up, has a good serve, good forehand. It's going to be a tough battle. I'm looking forward to playing against her.

Q. I know you had part of your off‑season here in Doha?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Yeah.

Q. Obviously you're familiar with the city and you like coming here. Can you just tell me about why you decided to come here in your off‑season and what you think about it.
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Well, I have been coming here to play, and I really like the facility. You know, I think that the Federation put out such a great facilities here. Everything is so close together. It's so convenient. Especially during off‑season, that's what you're looking for, to have one place where you have it all.
I thought about it, and it is on the way to Australia, and I have a great relationship with people here. So I'm always welcome. It was the first choice.

Q. On court you were mentioning the word "patience." I know this is a recurring theme. Seems like you're becoming increasingly patient. Maybe two or three years ago you may have reacted differently, being down or the wind being so bad. What do you think? Do you kind of walk away from that experience, you kind of settle down and dominate?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Yeah, I mean, I don't think about what would have happened two or three years ago, how I would react. There is no point. I mean, I relive those moments. I don't make those moments or anything define me as the player I am today.
I just try to react on the situation, react on what's coming at me. That's pretty much it.
I mean, I'm glad that I could turn it around. But I have done quite a few matches in the past like that, and, you know, it's important to bring out your best game. Not maybe at the first point but when it's really needed.
That's I feel like the key for the top players that they know how to step it up.

Q. You have been playing pretty good today. Do you think there is a specific sector of your game that you could improve drastically?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: From today?

Q. Yeah, from today.
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Yeah, I think ‑‑ you know, I'm such a perfectionist, always look to improve everything, you know, movement, hitting the ball, and I was few times a little bit frustrated. I missed a few easy shots.
It was due to, you know, not being maybe sometimes focused enough. Being in the first match, you sometimes don't feel like you're in the tournament. So, you know, it's going to change definitely for my next match.
But I'm looking forward to just elevate my game from match to match and keep improving through the tournament, through the rest of the year, and just always make one step towards my goal.

Q. I was wondering if you follow the other matches during the tournament? Do you get to watch, for example, Serena, how she did, or Maria?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: I watch sometimes. But I spend too much time on the Internet instead of TV. I don't watch much TV. (Smiling.)

Q. Is it fair to say you're a player that's not particularly bothered by the wind? You had good results in Miami, and that's probably one of the worst places for wind.
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Well, there is a lot of places with the wind. I feel like here always can be tricky because we play at night.
Miami, yeah, it can be a hurricane. (Smiling.)
I don't know. I just try to adjust. I don't think that my game, you know, particular suits wind because I try to, you know, be aggressive and hit the ball. In the wind you have to play around more.
But I feel like I adjust well to the situation and the consequences that comes with it. So that's something I work on, not being frustrated in those situations.

Q. So we have been talking about music yesterday with some of the players. You're the next one. We are talking about the British boys band One Direction. Serena says she's too old for that.
VICTORIA AZARENKA: She's too old for that?

Q. Yeah. But she likes Justin Bieber. I would like your opinion about it. About what you think about the British band?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: You know, I'm really surprised you're the one who is asking, being a French person, asking about the British band. (Smiling.)
You know, music changed a lot for me over the last couple of months, so I'm really paying attention to some lyrics, and, you know, it feels like they're always crying about something, you know, or they're all partying together.
I think they have amazing voices, that's for sure. But lyrics are not my first choice, I would say.

Q. Do you have a favorite member?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Favorite member?

Q. I want to know that.
VICTORIA AZARENKA: I don't follow them so closely. I actually prefer the other band, the British band, the young ones, The Wanted. I prefer them.
nastya is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2013, 04:47 PM   #620
country flag nastya

nastya is a splendid one to behold nastya is a splendid one to behold nastya is a splendid one to behold nastya is a splendid one to behold nastya is a splendid one to behold nastya is a splendid one to behold nastya is a splendid one to behold nastya is a splendid one to behold nastya is a splendid one to behold nastya is a splendid one to behold nastya is a splendid one to behold

Press conference after R3
V. AZARENKA/C. McHale
6‑0, 6‑0

Quote:

Q. That was a pretty amazing performance.
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Thank you.

Q. Just talk about the match and just, you know, how you felt out there. You kind of talked a little bit about ‑‑you said just dominance. Seemed like everything was working.
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Yeah. I felt like I came out very focused and really with a good mindset, with a good game plan.
There were a few close games, you know, and I felt like I was really taking advantage of every opportunity I had, which didn't allow her to play her game.
That was the key for me, to not let her play her game, because she's a very good mover, very good grinder.
She has a big weapon that can come from anywhere with a forehand. I was really focused and determined to do my job well and stay aggressive, not to let her dictate the point.

Q. Apparently the conditions are tough but they didn't seem to bother you too much.
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Not today. (Smiling.)
Yeah, I mean, the conditions are tough, but I adjusted pretty well. I was not looking to adjust really to conditions, you know. I was just trying to execute my shots and go for the right play and not thinking if it's gonna, you know, blow away or it's gonna stop. Just really trying to focus on the ball and keep moving my feet well.

Q. Today is Valentine's Day. Did you celebrate it? Did you receive some gift?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: No, I didn't celebrate. I'm alone on this day.

Q. No text messages from anyone?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Well, text messages, that's the only gifts I get. (Smiling.)

Q. Who was that from? Anyone special you want to share with us?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: A lot of ‑‑actually a lot of people, you know.

Q. Any electro‑dance musicians or...
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Musician, yeah, one in particular one, too, but it's still early in the States.

Q. If you had one wish, which gift would you like to have for the Valentine's Day?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Wow. That's a long list. (Smiling.)
I don't know. I would just love to be, honestly right now, I would love to be with my family and my friends. That's the most important gift for me, to just share those moments and be together.

Q. Obviously you take one match at a time and are focused in a match, but in a performance like that, does that send a message to the other top seeds here that you're here to defend this title? I mean, is a double bagel like that sending a message to the other guys that I'm not going to let this title go easily?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Well, maybe not that kind of message. I don't think ‑‑I never actually send this message to myself to defend a title. I'm here to win the title, you know, try to, as you said, one match at a time and just be very determined.
I'm always serious when I step on the court, and I'm not there to joke around. When I step on the court, I'm all in.

Q. When you come out of like last year, you came out of a win in Melbourne, do you feel that just you're on a wave, unstoppable? Is that the feeling after? Because you won here last year.
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Yeah. There is no such thing as really unstoppable, because, you know, sooner or later it's gonna happen to everybody.
But I'm here to win every match I try to go on court. That's the mentality. And the numbers of how many will be, it just depends of doing the best job as possible every single day and giving your best.
So that's the only thing I can ask for myself.

Q. Would you like to beat the streak that you had last year? Would that mean something to you?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: It would, yeah, but I mean, it's not really in my mind to beat that, to beat the statistics.
I never look to beat statistics, never really look to beat records. I'm looking to win. This is the most important. And then whatever comes with it, comes with it.
Old Feb 16th, 2013, 04:51 PM   #621
country flag nastya

Press conference after QF
V. AZARENKA/S. Errani
6‑2, 6‑2

Quote:

Q. The scoreline looks easy, but you definitely had to work a lot today against Sara.
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Yeah, for sure. I think the score never tells the whole story, really. We had a lot of really long rallies. I was expecting that.
I know Sara's game a little bit, you know. She's a very good fighter, and she brings always a lot of balls in. So you have to be ready that even your best shot will come back.
So I was ready for that, and I really felt like I took big advantage of the important moments, stayed aggressive, and really dictated my game, which was, you know, the key for me to go ahead.

Q. Would you say that you keep improving during this tournament?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: I think so. I mean, it's difficult to compare the matches because they are different opponents, different conditions, but I felt pretty good out there today and gonna try to keep up, you know, for tomorrow and stay focused.
For me it's important to enjoy what I do on the court, and it looked like I enjoyed it today.

Q. Just wondering if you have any thoughts on the Oscar Pistorius story.
VICTORIA AZARENKA: I heard a little bit. I'm not very familiar with the whole story, because I feel like it's still kind of unrattling ‑‑I don't know the word.

Q. Unraveling?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Yeah.
So I don't really have any comments. It's definitely not good news. It's a sad story.
But until everything is finalized, it's hard to comment, really.

Q. Do you think that a lot of times people and fans or whatever don't really know the people that they idolize?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Maybe. I mean, I don't know. I cannot speak ‑‑I never want to speak and can't speak for other people. I try to be as honest as possible always so people get to know me when I'm on the court, when I'm off the court, and whatever I do.
But it's definitely ‑‑it's like in the movies sometimes, you know. I actually had the story that I was very attracted to one character in a show. But when I met him, it totally changed for me.
It can happen to an athlete, as well. It's difficult to judge somebody.

Q. We saw a YouTube video. Any thoughts on it?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Yeah. I think it was ‑‑it was definitely special, that's for sure. It's something unexpected, you know. It can never get boring. That's for sure.
But it was amazing to see something so different and so creative, for sure.

Q. Are there four Redfoos?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: That's the four I don't know. I only know one.

Q. It seemed like today you were moving really well and the net play was really spot on. What were you most happy with in terms of today's match?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: I think the overall picture, you know. We had a lot of long rallies, and I did move well, as well as she did. You know, she likes to make opponent travel all over Doha, really. (Smiling.)
I was ready for that. So I knew it's gonna be a tough battle, and I had to keep fighting and from those tough moments to make sure I'm still in the rally, still getting back.
And I know she's gonna bring a lot of balls in. I had to do the same but tried to be more aggressive and step up and come to the net to disturb her, you know, defensive game, because she can stay there forever. I don't want to stay there forever. (Smiling.)

Q. You face either tomorrow Wozniacki or Radwanska. What approach would you take if you play either of them tomorrow?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: I think they're similar and different kind of players. They have one similarity and difference. Agnieszka is a great hand ‑‑ you know, she really reads the game well. She can do anything on the court. She, you know, she can attack, she can slice, she can dropshot. So very patient player. We played so many times already. We know each other really well.
With Caroline, I haven't played in a while, and it seems like she, you know, she's also very good from the baseline. She change it up. She can be aggressive. I feel like she improved over the last couple of months, for sure.
So it's gonna be good to play either one of them. Semifinal of such a tournament is never easy, and the girls work really hard to be there, so they must be in good form.

Q. You like Paris Saint‑Germain. You have a French coach. I would like to know where is your learning French now? Can you speak some? Did you improve in the last couple of years?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: I know je t'aime. That's important.
No, I haven't improved my French speaking. I'm a little bit shy, because sometimes even though I live in Monaco, is difficult to speak. I understand a lot of French speaking, but it's hard because every time I try, French people can be a little bit tough on you if they don't understand. They say, Eh, eh? I'm shy and I start to speak English.
But actually, I would love to improve that. I just don't have much time to learn.
Old Feb 19th, 2013, 05:19 PM   #622
country flag Natural Joe

Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute

Press conference after SF
V. AZARENKA/A. Radwanska
6‑3, 6‑3

Quote:

Q. Talk us through the match a little bit and just, you know, how it went and how you felt about it.
VICTORIA AZARENKA: I think it was a really high‑performance match from both of us. It was a little bit shaky in the beginning. I think I did a little bit too many unforced errors, rushed a little bit into the rallies, but I'm glad I could turn around quickly, start to be patient, start to be more aggressive and dominant, really going for my shots when there was an opportunity, and taking advantage of every short ball she gave me.

Q. Another final here. Just talk to us about what are the reasons behind doing so well here.
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Reasons? I'm not sure. I mean, I worked really hard, you know, and I like to play here. I feel like I'm in pretty good shape, you know, been pretty consistent lately throughout the whole year.
And I don't know. I'm really happy to be here in the final. You know, I always feel like I perform pretty good tennis here, and I enjoy it a lot. That's another key for me, to enjoy when I'm on the court, and gives me a lot of energy, a lot of confidence to go out there.

Q. The year is still young, but would you say this was one of your best matches of the season so far?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Oh, wow. Yeah, I would say so. It was definitely up there. You know, it's hard to judge, because, you know, right now I feel like I played amazing at the Australian Open, but at certain points it didn't feel that way.
But in this tournament in particular I felt like I really raised my level and played really well, so it's definitely one of the match matches so far.

Q. Who would you prefer to face tomorrow and why?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: I don't prefer. Whoever, you know, is on the other side of the net, that's who I'm going to play. I'm looking forward to play either one of them.
I mean, Serena and Maria, they're both great players. So whoever wins I'm going to challenge.

Q. I guess another way of asking that, as we talked in the preview, you have had your struggles recently against Serena. What do you think it's going to take to beat her tomorrow? And is one of those things to cut down on the unforced errors?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Just consistency and really being focused on my game. You know, we all know that she has, you know, a great serve. She's really aggressive, really consistent.
So for me it is important to just be focused on myself and try to execute my game. That's it.

Q. If it's Serena, would you say it's exciting to have another chance at her?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: It's exciting either way. You cannot say you're not excited about playing in the final. I'm really excited to play either one of them.
And Serena is a great challenge. Maria is also a great challenge. They're both terrific champions and top players in the world.

Q. It's getting very competitive at the top between the three of you, and obviously there is a ranking switch that's going to happen next week but it can happen again. For you, is it exciting to have this kind of competition at the top, or would you just prefer to be dominant and way ahead?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: For me, what's exciting is to face those great players. You know, I feel like we really pushing each other all the time to improve, so that's what is very exciting for me, to have that competitiveness.
In terms of ranking, that's never been my first goal, really. My first goal is to win matches, to win tournaments. The ranking, as I always say, comes with a bonus.
Right now I'm just focusing on winning my match, winning the tournament, and we'll see what happens after. But this is definitely a No. 1 priority.

Q. I guess a follow‑up on that, obviously as of Monday you will go back to No. 2. Any thoughts on that? Is it frustration, or is it extra motivation now to get back to No. 1? As you said‑‑ well, maybe it's just a repeat of what you just said.
VICTORIA AZARENKA: There cannot be frustration, really. That's so out of my hands. I mean, I have been playing really well, I have been really consistent, I haven't lost a match yet, so why should I be frustrated? Ranking is ranking. It just is how it turns out.
You know, for me, always is important to just win matches, win tournaments, win big tournaments like here, as well. If I'm No. 2 after winning a tournament or whatever, that's what happens is doesn't ‑‑ I wouldn't say it doesn't matter, but it's out of my hands.

Q. Last year here you faced Radwanska I think in the semis or the final.
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Semis.

Q. Semis. In that match, you hurt your ankle and there were some words afterwards about she lost respect for you. Have you guys kind of made up? Are you friends again? You used to be friends.
VICTORIA AZARENKA: I never had a problem with her, honestly. I will never have a problem. Whatever she said, she said, you know. I can't control whatever comes out of somebody's mouth.

Q. Just after Serena reached a new milestone, can you just comment on how much she has meant to women's tennis and just how her accomplishments have affected...
VICTORIA AZARENKA: What means, she reached a milestone?

Q. Like she became the ‑‑on Monday she's going to be the oldest No. 1, oldest player to ever reach No. 1.
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Oh, I don't think that would really make her that happy.

Q. Well, she does say she feels like she's 22.
VICTORIA AZARENKA: 22. Well, then she's younger than me. Okay.
I think she's ‑‑she really changed the woman's game, really lift up, you know, woman's game and the level of woman's tennis.
So she's the legend of tennis, and, you know, I don't know where I'm going to be at 31. Hopefully not playing tennis, but it's definitely an incredible achievement, you know.

FastScripts Transcript by ASAP Sports
Just so you know: I'm better than you because my fave is better than your fave. Your fave is a bitch and a shrieking BBB. Or was it pusher? Who cares. She's a classless brat anyway. But don't you dare insult my fave, idiot.
Natural Joe is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2013, 05:20 PM   #623
country flag Natural Joe

Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute

Press conference after Final
V. AZARENKA/S. Williams
7‑6, 2‑6, 6‑3

Quote:

Q. How does it feel to lift your second trophy here in Doha?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: It feels incredible. You know, this tournament is really great. I mentioned this so many times. It had such a strong field going into it, and I'm really glad that in the end of the week I'm the one who's holding the trophy.
I played really well this entire week. It's never easy to play five matches, you know, every day with, you know, the best players in the world.
I'm glad I was really consistent, achieved my goal.

Q. She saved the first match point at 5‑2. Tell us about the pressure you felt serving for the match at 5‑3.
VICTORIA AZARENKA: I won't say I didn't feel pressure. I was just really into the match and really focused on what I had to do.
I mean, she saved the match point with a good serve. That's what you normally expect to get, a bullet, when Serena is in trouble.
It wasn't a big deal, really. I just have to ‑‑I had to keep my composure and make another opportunity and create another match point, and that's what I did.

Q. What do you feel in this match you did differently than the last nine or ten against her?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: I just did everything better today.

Q. Did it help ‑‑I mean, she was obviously struggling early on with unforced errors and some double faults which you end up having, but how does that affect you when you see another player not probably playing at her best? Do you kind of try and take advantage of that, or do you justnot even notice it or what?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: No, I don't really think about it. I just make sure that I make her feel that way. I make her miss those shots. And it's not because she doesn't feel something or it's so easy that she's gonna miss the ball. You have to create those opportunities. You have to force those mistakes. So that was what I was really focused on.
You know, I felt it was a good match overall. I played good tennis. She stepped it up. I stepped it up when I needed. So it was really close and with a lot of everything in this battle.

Q. Did you at any stage think of the US Open final?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: No.

Q. During the trophy presentation you guys seemed to be a good, sincerely a good rapport between the two of you, having a chat. Is this a budding rivalry? Is this something that tennis fans can look forward to? I mean, Djokovic/Murray? Are we seeing the beginning of something good here?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: I think we had that for a while already, you know. I mean, we chat about something completely that had nothing to do with tennis.

Q. What was that?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: About Oscar parties. (Laughter.) And that's it. I mean, we always had a good relationship off court.
So, you know, the US Open final had not the same conversations but the same chemistry there. I just ‑‑I feel like we are big competitors on the court. Once the game is over, we are respectful and, you know, normal people.

Q. What about the rivalry, moving ahead? I mean, is this something ‑‑ I think she was saying that she kind of feels like you make her a better player. I mean, do you relish the chance in the coming months in the majors and stuff to come up against her in those big moments?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Any tournament I'm happy to play against Serena. She's absolutely right. I feel like we're pushing each other to go to the limit every time, to step up, to improve, and that's tremendous motivation to have.
You know, you always know that somebody's out there wants to push you. For me, it's incredible privilege to be in that position.

Just so you know: I'm better than you because my fave is better than your fave. Your fave is a bitch and a shrieking BBB. Or was it pusher? Who cares. She's a classless brat anyway. But don't you dare insult my fave, idiot.
Old Feb 20th, 2013, 09:53 PM   #624
country flag Natural Joe

DUBAI - Press conference (withdrawal)
February 19, 2013
Victoria Azarenka

Quote:
DUBAI, UNITED ARAB EMIRATES

THE MODERATOR: Victoria would like to start by making an announcement.
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Yeah, I unfortunately have to withdraw from this tournament due to a right foot injury, which happened last week. I have been obviously playing on it a lot, a lot of tennis over the last five days, especially, so going to a new tournament is too much to handle right now. It keeps getting worse.
It was an unfortunate decision that I had to make, and, well, obviously very disappointed with that.

Q. So the same kind of problem as last year?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: No, different.

Q. An injury, you come here, you can't play?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: If you want to put it that way. It's not that I'm repeating something. It's just been a lot of tennis over the last years, and the schedule is sometimes difficult and rough on the body, so...

Q. When did you first feel it?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Tuesday of last week.

Q. Is it anything to do with the problem you had in Australia?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: No.

Q. So what have you actually done, Vika? What's the problem?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Bone bruise on my heel.

Q. Do you know how much rest you're going to need?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: We'll see. I mean, I just need to re‑evaluate and see. I have been advised by my physio that it's just not getting better. We tried. So that's it.

Q. When was the call made, final decision, that you would be withdrawing? When did you know that it was...
VICTORIA AZARENKA: When was what?

Q. When was the call made that you wouldn't be able to play? When did you finally know?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Today.

Q. There has been a lot made on the men's tour specifically that the men play too much on hard courts. Rafa Nadal has come out and said that they're playing too many games on hard courts and it takes the toll on the body. Do you think the same applies in the women's game, that there's too much of a physical exertion on hard courts and it's taking its toll?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: I don't know if it's just the hard courts, but it is very difficult on the body. The game became so physical, and it takes so much out of you that sometimes, you know, you just need a break.
These little things that happen is just giving you a warning that you have to take care of yourself, because health is the most important thing that you can do. It's just very unfortunate, because, you know, the schedule is so packed when sometimes you need to make it in advance and you never know what could happen.
So it's just a frustration of not being able to play every week that you can, but you have to also realize that‑‑ you know, you need to listen to your body sometimes.
But I do think that the physical is becoming harder and harder.

Q. How beaten up physically did you feel after Australia?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: How? What? After Australia?

Q. Beaten up.
VICTORIA AZARENKA: You know what? The first day, everything is great. The second day after that, you feel pain everywhere in every part of your body, and it's difficult to ‑‑I never realized before after I have done it how actually how much it takes out of you physically. Mentally, it just drains you so much.
To live through that, you realize how much difficulty, and you can see a lot of players don't play right away after. So it definitely has a very, very hard impact.

Q. And is this injury, have you been told, is it because of the number of matches you're playing? It's not a specific thing that you did in a particular match?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: I'm not sure, really. I'm not sure about that, because I just start feeling pain. And sometimes it's more; sometimes it's less. It's unpredictable.
So that's what ‑‑one day was better, second day was worse, and the other day, yesterday, was a bit worse, especially with the flight, even though it was a mild flight. It's just ‑‑ you know, these little things, and the body shuts down after such a big event, you know. It was pretty difficult all the days in a row to play, unfortunately.

Q. Were you playing on painkillers in Doha?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: I tried two days, but sometimes for me it's better to feel the pain so I can control a little bit and not to ‑‑because when you take too many painkillers, you cannot feel your foot or something, and it may just cause something that can hurt worse after.

Q. You have been unlucky now here for the last year and this year with the injury. Are you considering to think about your schedule, reconsider your schedule and maybe not plan it next year?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: I don't know. I'll have to look at that. But sometimes you have to plan so much in advance, and you cannot know in November what's gonna happen in February.
So this is what makes it a little bit difficult. But it looks good to me to play two tournaments back to back, but you never know how well you're gonna do or how your body is gonna respond.
So you just have to move on and try to deal with the situation. I'm very disappointed I cannot play here, and I feel I'm playing very good at the moment, but I need to be smart. I cannot force. I cannot, you know, make myself worse than what it is. It just won't make any sense.

Q. After Australia, how much of a break did you take from just practicing, from being on a tennis court?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: I took six days. Six days I didn't do anything. I just tried to recover with the jet lag and it's difficult to sleep sometimes.
And after about three days you don't want to really do anything. It's just‑‑ as I said, it takes a lot out of you. And especially, for me, last couple of days of the Australian Open took extra out of me.

Q. Sorry for your injury.
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Thank you.

Q. I have a question about Kuznetsova. She was denied a wildcard for this week. She won two times a slam. Do you think it's lack of respect for her, or what do you think about it?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Oh, I didn't actually know about that, I'm sorry. So I don't know. I mean, the tournament‑‑ it's the right of the tournament and they choose who they want to choose.
My option, I think, she is kind of a player that's supposed to be playing in a main draw, and I'm sure in one, two months she will get her ranking up because her game is at the high level. I have seen it. You know, I played her in Australia. I just think she's gonna be fine in one month to get anywhere she wants by herself.

Q. Obviously tournaments like this want the top players to play them. You being a top player, you go deep in most tournaments. Do you think it's going to be progressively difficult for you and any player at the highest level to play back‑to‑back tournaments in future, that it's just too much toll, a fortnight, three weeks? Is it just too much for...
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Sometimes it is too much. Sometimes it's okay. It really depends how your body responds.
But realizing that you play five days in a row against top players in the world, and in two days you have to be again to play all those matches again. So sometimes it is too much. Sometimes, you know, we have easier matches, so you have, you know, your body feel great or ‑‑it's never predictable. You cannot predict that way.
You just try to play. And I tried, but my body says no. I cannot force. I cannot put myself in a position to hurt myself. That would be just stupid.

Q. In Doha a lot of players pulled out early for a variety of reasons. There's the issue of just the schedule and how tight it is and how much you played. We've heard a lot from the men, but do you also feel for the women it is just too much?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Well, sometimes it is. I mean, you don't see everybody playing here this week. Maybe some players will not play Indian Wells. You know, they choose their own options. I wanted to play here. I really did.
It just, you know, didn't happen. It was just about my injury. But I would play if I would be fine.

Q. But do you think in the future you might consider, like Serena has done, to kind of like play much more selectively versus the 30 tournaments kind of season?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: I think you have to be really smart, but because of the scheduling ahead that you have to commit to a lot of tournaments, it makes it a little bit more complicated sometimes to commit. And that's sometimes the reason that, you know, you have to pull out, because sometimes it's too much.
Honestly I don't know what's gonna happen in the future. I just try to schedule as best as possible, but sometimes you need to make adjustments, like everything you do in life.

Q. You just said that because of the quality of the field. Is Doha into Dubai one of the toughest turnarounds because so many top players are playing those two tournaments and there aren't easy matches?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Probably, yes, it's one of those. During the summer we have also back‑to‑back Montreal and Cincinnati. So sometimes it's more difficult than the other days. But I can only speak for myself.
But it is getting more and more competitive. Not even every week. Every match you have to give your 100%. There is no easy rounds. Right from the tournament, you have competitive fields.
It's maybe not like maybe 10 years ago, but I never played 10 years ago, so I can't answer really, cannot really say.

Q. What's next for you?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: I'm going to the States, and I need re‑evaluate, hopefully get my nail cut out because it's still there from Australia. (Smiling.)
But I'm just gonna take my time to make sure I'm 100% to start training for Indian Wells.

Old Feb 20th, 2013, 10:10 PM   #625
country flag ozza

Those questions range from good to absolute moronic. Tbh though her answers tend to point to what I've been saying on GM all day . It's just impossible for the top players to be at 100% expected to reach the finals of all these commitment events, especially when so many of them are back to back. If you keep playing, you either feel the effects of burnout eventually or the injuries build up and get worse. And as she says you make your schedule so far in advance, that you are not to know what the situation will be at the time.
Old Feb 20th, 2013, 10:16 PM   #626
country flag Little Dreamer
テニプリ

Little Dreamer has a reputation beyond repute Little Dreamer has a reputation beyond repute Little Dreamer has a reputation beyond repute Little Dreamer has a reputation beyond repute Little Dreamer has a reputation beyond repute Little Dreamer has a reputation beyond repute Little Dreamer has a reputation beyond repute Little Dreamer has a reputation beyond repute Little Dreamer has a reputation beyond repute Little Dreamer has a reputation beyond repute Little Dreamer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Radwanska proves too powerful for Vika

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blogger Bot View Post
Viktoria lost in the first round of Wimbledon to Agnieska Radwanska.

Link To Original Article
Wow....she'll never lose to Aga again

Little Dreamer is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20th, 2013, 10:33 PM   #627
country flag ozza

I have heard Radwanska fans optimistic about her chances on grass vs Azarenka even now. I personally think that is wishful thinking, but we won't know for sure until it happens I suppose.
Old Feb 20th, 2013, 11:21 PM   #628
country flag Little Dreamer
テニプリ

Little Dreamer has a reputation beyond repute Little Dreamer has a reputation beyond repute Little Dreamer has a reputation beyond repute Little Dreamer has a reputation beyond repute Little Dreamer has a reputation beyond repute Little Dreamer has a reputation beyond repute Little Dreamer has a reputation beyond repute Little Dreamer has a reputation beyond repute Little Dreamer has a reputation beyond repute Little Dreamer has a reputation beyond repute Little Dreamer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozza View Post
I have heard Radwanska fans optimistic about her chances on grass vs Azarenka even now. I personally think that is wishful thinking, but we won't know for sure until it happens I suppose.
I mean it's the only surface where she stands a chance against Vika (well possibly clay but neither are too great on it) so I guess it's all they have

Little Dreamer is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20th, 2013, 11:29 PM   #629
country flag heavyhorse

heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute

A Radwanska match against Azarenka would certainly be interesting. So would a Radwanska vs Kvitova match on grass.

Such contrasting styles of play usually make for great tennis. Although we all know Azarenka usually delivers a routine beat down for Aga.
heavyhorse is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20th, 2013, 11:41 PM   #630
country flag ozza

I tend to think Radwanska's grass prowess is overrated on the basis of reaching last years Wimbledon final.