News and updates about Victoria Azarenka - Page 12 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old May 13th, 2010, 08:04 PM   #166
country flag Spiritof42

Spiritof42 has a reputation beyond repute Spiritof42 has a reputation beyond repute Spiritof42 has a reputation beyond repute Spiritof42 has a reputation beyond repute Spiritof42 has a reputation beyond repute Spiritof42 has a reputation beyond repute Spiritof42 has a reputation beyond repute Spiritof42 has a reputation beyond repute Spiritof42 has a reputation beyond repute Spiritof42 has a reputation beyond repute Spiritof42 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: News and updates about Victoria Azarenka

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestorm10 View Post
It's great to finally hear from her about her injury situation. Is it just me or does she sound not too confident that there's enough time for her to heal between now and Roland Garros?
I feel the same. While it's nice to hear from her, she doesn't sound too optimistic.

"I was not able to test my strained muscle before my first round match in Madrid, but I tried my best to play".
I still don't understand why she felt she absolutely had to play. Hasn't she learned anything from her previous retirements? Anything at all? Too bad Sumyk (or her physio) couldn't put some sense into her. That right groin injury probably didn't come out of nowhere, as we've already discussed.
Advertisement

Old May 14th, 2010, 05:21 PM   #167
Break My Rapture
Heaux

Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute

From official website:

Vika Interviewed by Wave Magazine
13. May, 2010 Categories: News by admin 1 Comment

I am a high achiever

Being on the road is very demanding, tiring, and living out of a suitcase could be hard sometimes but I understand that I have to make this small sacrifice to do what I love. Tennis is a global sport, it comes with a lot of travelling. I knew what I signed up for when I decided I want to be a pro player

By MARKO ANDREJIĆ (marko.andrejic@wavemagazine.net)
from Belgrade, SERBIA

Victoria AzarenkaVictoria Azarenka is a Belarus tennis player, born in Minsk on July 31, 1989, with current residence in Scottsdale, Arizona, USA. She is a pro tennis player since 2003, and her world ranking is No.9 at the moment. Azarenka is right-handed with two-handed backhand. She is 1.80m high blondie, very symphatetic and charming girl. Her friends call her Vika.

In an exclusive interview with WAVE magazine, she is talking about her career, what does it look like living on the tour all the time, about her cooperation with Nikolai Khabibulin and personal and professional life goals. We did this interview via e-mail, as Victoria was in Paris, just between her tournaments in Marbella and Stuttgart.

You play very good recently and this is a very good period for you – results and current WTA ranking definitely prove that. Are you satisfied with your play and world ranking at the moment? What do you consider the best element of your game and where do you see place for improvement?

- First of all, thank you. If I said I was satisfied, than there would not be a point for me trying to improve any more. I am a high achiever; I am never satisfied with how I play. This is what keeps me going actually. I always want to improve, I want to get better, and until this feeling is there, I am motivated and I am ready to play.

I think I am a very aggressive player and I started coming to the net more often and these turn out to be a big weapon for me. As for improvement, I think I need to learn how to keep myself calm and level-headed during matches.

Victoria Azarenka How does it look like your cooperation with your coach?

- I am thankful I have Sam Sumyk working with me. He is a great coach, and he has already helped me a lot. I usually practice twice a day and maybe one fitness or running session. Tennis basically takes up my day.

How many matches and tournaments do you play every year? Are you sometimes afraid of injury because tennis players have really hard job to do playing every week in a different place, sometimes even Time Zone?

- I think I play somewhere around 20 events or so each year (exhibitions and charity events excluded that is). Maybe a bit more. I am not even sure because I play so many events. The key to stay injury free is fitness and taking good care of my body. I run a lot, I do stretching, massage sessions, and I never miss my warm-up either. I am still young, I am expecting a long career, so I have to make sure that I am fit enough to play for many more years.

Can you make a comparison between men and women tennis, what are the differences and where are similarities?

Victoria Azarenka- I think it’s hard to make comparisons, men serve bigger, they play faster points, while women have longer rallies. One thing is for sure though, no one plays like Roger.

What does it look like being on the tour all the time? Travelling from country to country, switching planes, hotels, courts, and having only about two months every year to take a rest? How often do you travel to your hometown Minsk?

- I try to go there as much as I can. However, not as often as I would like obviously. Being on the road is very demanding, tiring, and living out of a suitcase could be hard sometimes but I understand that I have to make this small sacrifice to do what I love. Tennis is a global sport, it comes with a lot of travelling. I knew what I signed up for when I decided I want to be a pro player.

You moved to Arizona, USA in the summer of 2005 and Nikolai Khabibulin, the Russian goalie (hockey) helped you a lot in developing your professional career. You say that he and his family are like your second family. How did it happen and how would you describe your relationship?

- The Khabibulins have been just wonderful with me. Their daughter, Sasha also played tennis, and Nikolai offered to take me with them to Arizona, where I started training with my former coach. I have lived with Nikolai’s family; we became friends and I feel very connected to them. I am also a huge hockey fan, thanks to Nikolai.

Victoria AzarenkaWe heard you enjoy shopping and have a big collection of shoes, is that true? What else do you like doing in your free time? Are you more party-girl or you prefer quiet fun – dinner, walks, books?

- I am a big shoe junkie, that’s true. I also like hanging out with my friends, go to dinners. I like exploring new places. I also like basketball and I love hockey.

You have a profile and Fan Page on Facebook, as well as Twitter account. Do you have time to write there and use this social networks by your own, or you have people who take care of that?

- Of course I write my own Twitter feeds. I like Twitter because I can stay connected to my fans and friends. I have a profile on Facebook as well, and I have my own website, which is being redesigned soon, so I am super excited for that.

Who is your best friend in WTA Tour?

- I am a great friend with Caroline Wozniacki.

What is your personal and professional life goal?

- I would like to keep improving as a player. My goal is to be the best I can be and one day, I would love to accept a trophy at a Grand Slam event. Hopefully soon. As for personal goals, I just want to live a happy and satisfied life. I would like to stay balanced as well because I think it is important you find peace and balance in your life.
Break My Rapture is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2010, 06:25 PM   #168
country flag Delfii

Delfii is a splendid one to behold Delfii is a splendid one to behold Delfii is a splendid one to behold Delfii is a splendid one to behold Delfii is a splendid one to behold Delfii is a splendid one to behold Delfii is a splendid one to behold Delfii is a splendid one to behold Delfii is a splendid one to behold Delfii is a splendid one to behold Delfii is a splendid one to behold

Thanks Pieter, nice interview
Delfii is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2010, 04:45 AM   #169
country flag Spiritof42

Spiritof42 has a reputation beyond repute Spiritof42 has a reputation beyond repute Spiritof42 has a reputation beyond repute Spiritof42 has a reputation beyond repute Spiritof42 has a reputation beyond repute Spiritof42 has a reputation beyond repute Spiritof42 has a reputation beyond repute Spiritof42 has a reputation beyond repute Spiritof42 has a reputation beyond repute Spiritof42 has a reputation beyond repute Spiritof42 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
How many matches and tournaments do you play every year? Are you sometimes afraid of injury because tennis players have really hard job to do playing every week in a different place, sometimes even Time Zone?

- I think I play somewhere around 20 events or so each year (exhibitions and charity events excluded that is). Maybe a bit more. I am not even sure because I play so many events. The key to stay injury free is fitness and taking good care of my body. I run a lot, I do stretching, massage sessions, and I never miss my warm-up either. I am still young, I am expecting a long career, so I have to make sure that I am fit enough to play for many more years.
Oh, the irony...
Old May 15th, 2010, 07:36 AM   #170
country flag HowardH

HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pieter. View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritof42 View Post
Oh, the irony...
Irony indeed.

Last edited by HowardH : May 15th, 2010 at 07:45 AM.
HowardH is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2010, 04:09 AM   #171
country flag hellas719

hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute

What irony

Wickmayer. Venus. Ivanovic. Cirstea. Halep.
Azarenka. Krajicek. Flipkens. Pironkova. Begu.
Lisicki. Paszek. Vesnina. Pavlyuchenkova. Cornet.
Stephens. Oudin. King. Vandeweghe. McHale.
Grammatikopoulou ~ Papamichail ~ Sakkari
hellas719 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2010, 02:44 PM   #172
country flag allrounder

allrounder has a brilliant future allrounder has a brilliant future allrounder has a brilliant future allrounder has a brilliant future allrounder has a brilliant future allrounder has a brilliant future allrounder has a brilliant future allrounder has a brilliant future allrounder has a brilliant future allrounder has a brilliant future allrounder has a brilliant future

Another part of a long article from The Times that talks about player relationships on and off court. I've just copied the bit that talks about Vika and her BFF Caro

Full article here http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/spo...cle7134472.ece

Quote:
Coffee with Wozniacki and Azarenka. This is interesting because it changes the story. Wozniacki is 19 years old and ranked world No 3; Azarenka is 20 and No 11. They are the up-and-comers of the women’s game; theoretically, they should detest each other. But last year, Wozniacki finished the season by holidaying in Mauritius with another rival, Agnieszka Radwanska (aged 21, ranked No 8); this year she is already talking holiday plans with Azarenka.

It was, they say, Martina Hingis who melted the permafrost of the locker room by actually talking to her rivals, but these girls have taken friendly rivalry to a new level. “We only really compete for guys,” Azarenka says.

“She wins,” Wozniacki says, giggling. “But I am definitely the better racing driver.”

“On the court, we don’t really want to kill each other,” Azarenka says, “but we want to win.”

“I think the young girls today are really sticking together,” Wozniacki says. Her point was made the next day when she and Radwanska were knocked out simultaneously and consoled each other by sitting in the locker room eating chocolate together. As Radwanska recorded in her blog: “We also went out for a late dinner, then we watched a scary movie . . . Paranormal Activity . . . There’s one part at the end that’s so scary, we jumped so much, the computer almost fell off the bed.”

I ask about the pecking order, the intimidation and Wozniacki explains: “If you are friendly and open, the other players don’t try to scare you as much.” Who would they be? “We can’t say,” comes the reply. And this is common; yes, tennis can be a catfight; and no, we won’t snitch on the cats with the sharpest claws.

But you wonder if this refreshing spirit of these two is related to their extended innocence.

~The Official Anger Management Counsellor of Vikaland~
allrounder is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2010, 03:31 PM   #173
country flag hurricanejeanne

hurricanejeanne has a reputation beyond repute hurricanejeanne has a reputation beyond repute hurricanejeanne has a reputation beyond repute hurricanejeanne has a reputation beyond repute hurricanejeanne has a reputation beyond repute hurricanejeanne has a reputation beyond repute hurricanejeanne has a reputation beyond repute hurricanejeanne has a reputation beyond repute hurricanejeanne has a reputation beyond repute hurricanejeanne has a reputation beyond repute hurricanejeanne has a reputation beyond repute

That is really cute. I think it's pretty awesome that it seems that the majority of the younger generation is super friendly with one another, it leads to these girls playing more doubles and enjoying themselves more and probably to more longevity in their careers.

I love the part where they say that they only compete over guys and Vika wins.
Old May 25th, 2010, 03:50 PM   #174
country flag Delfii

Delfii is a splendid one to behold Delfii is a splendid one to behold Delfii is a splendid one to behold Delfii is a splendid one to behold Delfii is a splendid one to behold Delfii is a splendid one to behold Delfii is a splendid one to behold Delfii is a splendid one to behold Delfii is a splendid one to behold Delfii is a splendid one to behold Delfii is a splendid one to behold

This is before RG, a little late from May 20th
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Spox Interviews Vika

SPOX: Miss Azarenka, do you like hockey?

Victoria Azarenka: Of course! But I know why you’re asking…

SPOX: Because of Nikolai Khabibulin, the goalie of the Edmonton Oilers. He took you under his wings when you left Minsk to live and practice in the US at a very early age.

Azarenka: Yes, he used to play for the Phoenix Coyotes and lives in Scottsdale. I stayed at his house, went to a lot of his games and cheered him on. That’s when I came to love hockey.

SPOX: How long have you known the Khabibulin family?

Azarenka
: Basically all my life. Nikolai is a good friend of my mother, and they became my second family when I lived with them.

SPOX: Now, as an established pro-player, you still live in Scottsdale. Why did you stay in Arizona?

Azarenka: The conditions are perfect: Scottsdale has great courts and nice weather. That’s not to say that I don’t like my hometown Minsk. Quite the opposite: I always love to go home! Even though I can’t manage to go very often.

SPOX: Before the US you tried Marbella. Why didn’t it work out there?

Azarenka: I just felt like Scottsdale was a better fit form me. With Nikolai’s family and my former coach living there, the adjustment was a lot easier.

SPOX: You used to play indoors a lot as a kid, you name hard-court as your favourite surface, but the best results you had in Grand Slam tournaments have so far come at Roland Garros. How do you explain that?

Azarenka
: I have advanced to the quarters at the French Open, the Australian Open and Wimbledon. I guess I would not say that my best results come from clay. I clinced my biggest career title in Miami last year; a tournament that is held on hard court. I actually think that my game style fits the hard surface better, and I tend to feel more comfortable on it as well, but I have nothing against clay either.

SPOX: So far you have yet to reach a Grand Slam semifinal. However, you have been considered a potential winner basically every time since 2009. Do you figure that you have a shot at the title in Paris?

Azarenka: Whoever competes at a Grand Slam has a shot at winning the title. I believe that hard work will eventually pay off, and I will fulfill my dream of winning a title soon.

SPOX: In order to do that, you would probably have to beat some of the top players However, concerning current top 10 players you only have a positive record against Sam Stosur (3-0). Is it just your age, or what else is still missing that would allow you to take that last step?

Azarenka: These statistics are a little misleading. Yes, it is true that I have a positive record against these players, but it’s not like I have not beaten any of the top players yet. I have recorded wins against Caroline Wozniacki and Serena Williams as well as many others. I am still very young; I will get many more chances to play against these players, and hopefully I will improve my record against them.

SPOX: And someday become the world’s number one? Or is winning a grand slam title your number one priority at this point in your career?

Azarenka: Yes, I’d like to get that major title first. And then become the world’s number one (smiles).

SPOX: You’re well-known for taking trips through the cities in which you’re playing and to suck in the atmosphere of every place. What do you like to do when you have some time off?

Azarenka
: I like shopping, I love sports, I like ice-cream. I think your best bet to find me would be at a big shopping area, or at a basketball or hockey game, or at an ice-cream parlor. At home I like hanging out with my friends, going to the movies, having a good chat with a cold lemonade, or just chilling out at home.

SPOX: Ice-cream, really? In today’s sports world where nutrition becomes more and more crucial, don’t you get into trouble with your coach?

Azarenka: I understand that nutrition is crucial but I love ice-cream and sometimes I think I can afford eating a little chocolate ice-cream.

SPOX: And why basketball and hockey, but no tennis?

Azarenka: I like sports, but I don’t necessarily watch tennis.

SPOX: Nevertheless you name Roger Federer and Steffi Graf as your idols. Who else do you like?

Azarenka: I grew up playing next to Natasha Zvereva and Max Mirnyi. It was actually a little weird that I used to idolize Max, and then I won a mixed doubles Grand Slam with him. I always wanted to be like them from very early on. However, as I started watching tennis, I became a big fan of Steffi. As for Roger, I think he is a genius. I respect him as an athlete and as a person. I think he created a great balance in his life, for which I admire him.

SPOX: It really seems that that’s the hardest part about being a professional tennis player. You always have to keep your focus. However, have you been able to make friends on the tour, or is it all just business?

Azarenka: My best friend on the tour is Caro Wozniacki; she is a great girl. We have so much fun when we meet up at different events and we usually try to grab dinner to catch up whenever we are at the same event.

SPOX: Now that I know what things you like and who your best friend on the tour is: Please tell me what you’re afraid of.

Azarenka: Getting my blood drawn is my worst fear of all. I simply hate needles. I have disliked them since I was a little girl. I also despise spiders.
Delfii is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2010, 04:08 AM   #175
country flag hellas719

hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for posting those

Wickmayer. Venus. Ivanovic. Cirstea. Halep.
Azarenka. Krajicek. Flipkens. Pironkova. Begu.
Lisicki. Paszek. Vesnina. Pavlyuchenkova. Cornet.
Stephens. Oudin. King. Vandeweghe. McHale.
Grammatikopoulou ~ Papamichail ~ Sakkari
hellas719 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2010, 04:28 PM   #176
country flag stangtennis

stangtennis has a reputation beyond repute stangtennis has a reputation beyond repute stangtennis has a reputation beyond repute stangtennis has a reputation beyond repute stangtennis has a reputation beyond repute stangtennis has a reputation beyond repute stangtennis has a reputation beyond repute stangtennis has a reputation beyond repute stangtennis has a reputation beyond repute stangtennis has a reputation beyond repute stangtennis has a reputation beyond repute

http://communities.canada.com/montre...an-friend.aspx
Quote:
Azarenka's gentleman friend

By smyles62 Thu, May 27 2010 COMMENTS(0) Open Court
Filed under: love matches, azarenka, RolandGarros2010, day 3

Victoria Azarenka fans will know if this is a friend, hitting partner, boyfriend or innocent bystander.

But one thing's for sure, the tall hottie is a gentleman.

As Azarenka prepared to leave the practice court with her gear, he gallantly offered to take the tennis bag for her.

She did have another one she had to tote.

Azarenka has seemed in a very, very good mood, despite a premature exit from the French Open at the hands of Gisela Dulko.

Coach Sam Sumyk, a Frenchman, later told the French media that it wasn't injury-related at all, that the left leg that has been bothering her all spring was not a factor. She did, however, blow off her post-match press conference and had to swallow a $4,000 fine.
So who's her gentleman friend?

Last edited by stangtennis : May 27th, 2010 at 04:38 PM.
stangtennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2010, 04:50 PM   #177
Break My Rapture
Heaux

Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute

At least we know the loss wasn't injury-related then. Just rustyness because of lack of practice.
Break My Rapture is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2010, 04:52 PM   #178
country flag saul1333
język

saul1333 has a reputation beyond repute saul1333 has a reputation beyond repute saul1333 has a reputation beyond repute saul1333 has a reputation beyond repute saul1333 has a reputation beyond repute saul1333 has a reputation beyond repute saul1333 has a reputation beyond repute saul1333 has a reputation beyond repute saul1333 has a reputation beyond repute saul1333 has a reputation beyond repute saul1333 has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone else want to kill that guy
saul1333 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2010, 05:24 PM   #179
country flag allrounder

allrounder has a brilliant future allrounder has a brilliant future allrounder has a brilliant future allrounder has a brilliant future allrounder has a brilliant future allrounder has a brilliant future allrounder has a brilliant future allrounder has a brilliant future allrounder has a brilliant future allrounder has a brilliant future allrounder has a brilliant future

Thanks for posting that strangtennis it looks a bit like her BF from the side, maybe Aleh can confirm.

Good to hear she's no longer injured though, she just needs plenty of practice to get her sharpness back

~The Official Anger Management Counsellor of Vikaland~
allrounder is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2010, 05:26 PM   #180
country flag hurricanejeanne

hurricanejeanne has a reputation beyond repute hurricanejeanne has a reputation beyond repute hurricanejeanne has a reputation beyond repute hurricanejeanne has a reputation beyond repute hurricanejeanne has a reputation beyond repute hurricanejeanne has a reputation beyond repute hurricanejeanne has a reputation beyond repute hurricanejeanne has a reputation beyond repute hurricanejeanne has a reputation beyond repute hurricanejeanne has a reputation beyond repute hurricanejeanne has a reputation beyond repute

He's cute and double kudos for being a gentleman.

I'm glad the loss was because she was hurt, thank god! That makes me feel a million times better about the situation. Hopefully she can find her rhythm through doubles and then in Eastbourne.