Vika interview - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Oct 10th, 2006, 10:38 PM   #1
country flag dippykitty

dippykitty is a glorious beacon of light dippykitty is a glorious beacon of light dippykitty is a glorious beacon of light dippykitty is a glorious beacon of light dippykitty is a glorious beacon of light dippykitty is a glorious beacon of light dippykitty is a glorious beacon of light dippykitty is a glorious beacon of light dippykitty is a glorious beacon of light dippykitty is a glorious beacon of light dippykitty is a glorious beacon of light
Vika interview

Vika recently did an interview for Hot Psychology magazine. I`ve typed it up:

Viktoriya Kutuzova Interview

Viktoriya started her pro tennis career in 2003 with victories over top 50 players Lina Krasnoroutskaya and Alexandra Stevenson en route to the third round of her debut WTA tournament in Los Angeles, whilst ranked 451 in the world. Since then, she has made the fourth round of the prestigious Tier I Indian Wells tournament and qualified for the US Open on her Grand Slam main draw debut, both in 2005. She is currently sitting on the verge of the top 100. Here, the eighteen-year-old rising star talks to Hot Psychology magazine.

1.What are the best and worst things about being a professional tennis player?

The best thing is that you have a chance to see so many new places and meet new friends and worst is that at the end of the year you feel so tired of traveling and being on the road so much.

2. How do you cope with being away from home for so much of the year? Do any of your family travel with you?

My father is coaching me full-time and my mom and younger sister join us quite often, so we spend a lot of time together and this is a big help to me.

3. How do you prepare for a match?

The day before the match we discuss with my father tactics depending on my opponent and a way out if this tactic does not work. Before the match I am warming up off and on court and just wait for my name to be called.

4. How do you relax after a match?

I spend some time at the stadium talking to my friends and in the evening have a dinner with my family and sometimes friends that come to support me.

5. Are you friends with any other players on the WTA Tour?

No, my best friends are my sister and parents.

6. Do you have a favourite tournament?
My favorite is the one I can win!

7. Who has been your toughest opponent?

Well, my toughest opponent used to be Lindsay Davenport – she was #1 in the world and I had to play her twice in one month.

8. How much more of a step-up in class are the WTA Tour events you have been playing for the last couple of years in comparison to the ITF events you played earlier in your career?

Top 10 players really dominate this tour, however, sometimes ITF events could be as tough as WTA events because girls are very hungry for victories at ITF events and never give up.

9. You reached the second round of the French Open this year, taking a set off Elena Dementieva. Did you find it hard to have to play that match over two days (play was suspended with Viktoriya 5-1 up in the first set)?

It is very difficult to play in two days. It is like playing two matches. I was very focused and confident on day 1 and then the break helped Elena to get back into this match. It was a pity not to finish this match in one day but this is just a game.

10. There have been a lot of calls to reduce the number of tournaments on the WTA calendar to try to reduce the amount of injuries. What are your thoughts on the length of the WTA tennis season?

I was under age eligibility rules so I had a limited number of tournaments to play. It did not help me because I had a gaps between my tournaments and sometimes it is difficult to start playing the event after you just practiced for 3 weeks and did not play a single official match. You are not obliged to play every week and can make your schedule depending on your desire so I do not think the season is too long so far.

11. Where do you hope to be in a year`s time?

My plan is to make it top 10 and I will do my best to achieve this goal.

The Drop Shots tennis blog
dippykitty is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote