Tennis Forum banner

Costa to skip Wimbledon

778 views 27 replies 22 participants last post by  DarkCore 
#1 ·
Q. Will you be at Wimbledon?

ALBERT COSTA: No. I'm getting married.

Heh. Looks like the trend continues. Now the claycourters are even scheduling marriages to come in conflict with Wimbledon. :rolleyes:

#6 ·
Good idea. they would not give him a seeding anyway and he will have to play the Shanghai Championships since all Grand Slam winners are AUTOMATICALLY QUALIFIED. He will virtually no off season since he will be in Shanghai at the end of the year and then must defend quarterfinal points in Australia. This is virtually his only opportunity to get married, relax a bit and then train for the upcoming hardcourt season to defend his fourth round points at the US OPEN.

#7 ·
It's not like he had any chance of winning.

#9 ·
wow!!! what a double celebration!!!! it's a great decision IMO!!!!!:angel: :bounce: :kiss:

#10 ·
"Q. Will you be at Wimbledon?

ALBERT COSTA: No. I'm getting married.

Heh. Looks like the trend continues. Now the claycourters are even scheduling marriages to come in conflict with Wimbledon. "

Last time I checked there were still lots of clay courters who playe Wimbledon. Its incorrect to focus on the few who dont play and use them as the benchmark for everyone else...

Ferrero is playing, at least he wants to play.

Guga has made the quarters before, even though apparently according to some of you they have no chance. Moya has made the fourth round before.

I don't exactly see henman and pete turning heads at RG for their play, so why not insult them?

COngrats to Al for going to get married - its unfortunate people are too busy picking aprt why he isnt' playing some tournament, instead of recognizing what is really important.

#11 ·
Who Cares?

Like hes gonna do anything good there anyway.

These claycourters are just pathetic i have more respect for Ferrero last year for going to wimbledon and getting to the 3rd round than Corretja and his bunch of cronies!

#12 ·
Monica Rules - who is it your insulting? Corretja and Costa?
or are you grouping ALL clay courters together, and insutling all of them, assuming that none play Wimbledon?

Or do you really know?

In Ferrero's defense (i know you weren't referring to him anyhow:) ), he made it further at Wimby than pete and tim made it at RG - and he lost to a respectable fast surface player.

#13 ·
Enjoy your Victory Albert!!!!! Family comes first!!!!

#14 ·
give the guys a break. clay court players tend to do better at wimbledon than fast court players do at paris, and given that wimbledon comes second, the absence from wimbledon for the guys who do well at paris is more noticeable.

and lot's of grass court players skip paris or give a half-hearted performance and head straight to the grass - look at sampras, rusedski, philipoussis, henman, becker, ivanisevic, and rafter over the years.......they've had little successes in paris, but they've never really done the serious preparation.

#15 ·
You're the man Albert.

Twin daughters.;)

Twin Celebrations (RG & Wedding)!!!!

Who can argue with success????:angel: :bounce: :kiss:

#17 ·
Good point, clijstersrules.

And since when did a man´s tournament schedule have to take precedence over his marriage?

Good for Albert; if he hadnt won RG nobody would have flinched at his non appearance at Wimbledon.

At least he didnt enter and schedule a clay court challenger for the second week!

#18 ·
its not the biggest deal imho

him & corretja skip w'don, dokic (and many players in the past) skip AO, venus & serena in the past have skipped autumn altogether, amelie skips IW and Miami - its just their unique schedules that they think will keep them playing well and playing injury free.

#20 ·
I think Albert Costa has the right to skip this grand slam no question...with his wedding coming up I'm sure he'll be mentally drained (not to mention physically during the honeymoon) ;) :D And then he has to go to Wimbledon a week later!? IMO he would've had a great shot but hey it all started when they didn't give the clay courters the seedings they deserved last year...

#22 ·
fantastic pic Jomar. thanx! all the best to Costa.

must we rehash this tired arguument every year? players should play wherever the heck they want to. tennis is an individual sport -- this means that as individuals, players should do what they feel is best for them.

#23 ·
plus like I said before with him being in the Championships and always committed to any of Spain's tennis commitments he has very little "down time" He has to get married at some point and wants to do it right after winning the BIG CAHUNA. Trying to go to Wimbledon after all of this would be a total mental letdown and he would probably lose in the first round and then be scoffed at by all the ESPN commentators who would then tear him down.

#24 ·
i think if wimbledon came before the french open, do you really think pete sampras would have bothered to turn up at the french with just weeks to prepare having won wimbledon. his absence would also be more noticeable because he'd be the talk of the tour, flavour of the month

the schedule is rubbish - if you have a good clay season and do well at paris, then you've hardly got a chance to get some grass play in. it's not surprising the clay players often don't play, though most of them do. and, when you see how wimbledon and the press take swipes at those who do play, you can see why some of them say, "no way".

#25 ·
Maybe it's his own secret way of showing support for the women who deserve equal pay. After all, he does have twin girls. He probably wants his children to think that they are equal to other humans as well.

(just a thought)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.