the kumiko iijima cheering thread - Page 6 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Oct 23rd, 2008, 04:55 AM   #76
country flag JujulCactus

JujulCactus has much to be proud of JujulCactus has much to be proud of JujulCactus has much to be proud of JujulCactus has much to be proud of JujulCactus has much to be proud of JujulCactus has much to be proud of JujulCactus has much to be proud of JujulCactus has much to be proud of JujulCactus has much to be proud of JujulCactus has much to be proud of JujulCactus has much to be proud of
Re: the kumiko iijima cheering thread

Happy Birthday Kumiko
Date-Krumm Baltacha Chan Riske Kleybanova Morita Szavay Lertcheewakarn Groenefeld
_ And Asagoe & Dementieva Forever _
JujulCactus is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Oct 28th, 2008, 07:28 PM   #77
country flag -sugi-

-sugi- has a reputation beyond repute -sugi- has a reputation beyond repute -sugi- has a reputation beyond repute -sugi- has a reputation beyond repute -sugi- has a reputation beyond repute -sugi- has a reputation beyond repute -sugi- has a reputation beyond repute -sugi- has a reputation beyond repute -sugi- has a reputation beyond repute -sugi- has a reputation beyond repute -sugi- has a reputation beyond repute

Happy belated birthday

She plays Gajdosova in Round 1 of Tokyo. They played last week in Taipei at the semi final stage and Gajdosova won 62 62.
Good luck Kumiko

IshizuMcHaleRiskeCrawford
CornetSchmiedlovaLepchenkoTakaoTatishviliLushkova
TanasugarnMiyamuraGonzalezAoyamaWatson
I miss Ai. Rebecca and Shinobu
-sugi- is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11th, 2008, 12:53 PM   #78
country flag Hachiko

Hachiko has a reputation beyond repute Hachiko has a reputation beyond repute Hachiko has a reputation beyond repute Hachiko has a reputation beyond repute Hachiko has a reputation beyond repute Hachiko has a reputation beyond repute Hachiko has a reputation beyond repute Hachiko has a reputation beyond repute Hachiko has a reputation beyond repute Hachiko has a reputation beyond repute Hachiko has a reputation beyond repute

Kumiko's 2009 schedule:

Australian Open
$25,000 Mildura/$25,000 Burnie
$25,000 Okinawa
Hachiko is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11th, 2008, 08:50 PM   #79
country flag martin white

martin white has much to be proud of martin white has much to be proud of martin white has much to be proud of martin white has much to be proud of martin white has much to be proud of martin white has much to be proud of martin white has much to be proud of martin white has much to be proud of martin white has much to be proud of martin white has much to be proud of martin white has much to be proud of

thanks for update chevina,kumiko safely into ao qualies too...i hope to see her play in melbourne.
Old Sep 25th, 2010, 12:05 PM   #80
country flag Boreas

Boreas has a reputation beyond repute Boreas has a reputation beyond repute Boreas has a reputation beyond repute Boreas has a reputation beyond repute Boreas has a reputation beyond repute Boreas has a reputation beyond repute Boreas has a reputation beyond repute Boreas has a reputation beyond repute Boreas has a reputation beyond repute Boreas has a reputation beyond repute Boreas has a reputation beyond repute

Kumiko won her first tournament since her comeback - defeated Akito in the final of makinohara 61 62

Keep going!
Boreas is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25th, 2010, 01:32 PM   #81
country flag -sugi-

-sugi- has a reputation beyond repute -sugi- has a reputation beyond repute -sugi- has a reputation beyond repute -sugi- has a reputation beyond repute -sugi- has a reputation beyond repute -sugi- has a reputation beyond repute -sugi- has a reputation beyond repute -sugi- has a reputation beyond repute -sugi- has a reputation beyond repute -sugi- has a reputation beyond repute -sugi- has a reputation beyond repute

Well done Kumiko

IshizuMcHaleRiskeCrawford
CornetSchmiedlovaLepchenkoTakaoTatishviliLushkova
TanasugarnMiyamuraGonzalezAoyamaWatson
I miss Ai. Rebecca and Shinobu
-sugi- is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3rd, 2010, 07:33 AM   #82
country flag Boreas

Boreas has a reputation beyond repute Boreas has a reputation beyond repute Boreas has a reputation beyond repute Boreas has a reputation beyond repute Boreas has a reputation beyond repute Boreas has a reputation beyond repute Boreas has a reputation beyond repute Boreas has a reputation beyond repute Boreas has a reputation beyond repute Boreas has a reputation beyond repute Boreas has a reputation beyond repute

Back to back tournament wins for Kumiko - defeated Sema in the final of Hamanako 6-7 6-2 6-4

Keep it going Kumiko! When's the cut-off for AO qualies?
Old Oct 3rd, 2010, 07:37 AM   #83
country flag Boreas

Nevermind - next week she'll be ranked around 265 and that should already be enough to make it. But a few more wins wouldn't hurt anyone
Old Oct 27th, 2010, 01:03 AM   #84
country flag iGOAT

iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute

Hey guys this thread sort of died away it looks like, but there has recently been an interview with Kumiko on the ITF website, with some pictures, so here it is :

15 Oct 2010 - Nick Fishpool

ITF Pro Circuits Meets... Kumiko Iijima

With four singles and eighteen doubles titles to her name on the ITF Pro Circuit, Kumiko Iijima, who also represented her nation at the 1998 NEC World Youth Cup finals, has reached career high WTA rankings of 196 (singles) and 151 (doubles).

ITF Pro Circuits recently put the following questions to the 27-year old former WTA Top 200 player.

ITF Pro Circuits: Can you tell us where you were born and lived?

Kumiko Iijima: I was born in Gunma, Japan and grew up there till I was 15-years old. I then moved to Tokyo for tennis all by myself.

ITF Pro Circuits: Do any other members of your family play sport?

Kumiko Iijima: Nobody in my family play sports as professionals.

ITF Pro Circuits: So how did you get started in tennis?

Kumiko Iijima: I started playing tennis when I was just 7-years old. I loved [Steffi] Graf since I saw her play on TV so I asked my mom to take me to lessons. I started playing tennis on clay courts. Right now I don’t play on clay that much but I still like to play on clay. If I had to pick only one, I would like to say grass (laughs).

ITF Pro Circuits: What can you tell us about your current coach?

Kumiko Iijima: I have been travelling with Tim Nichols for about 3 years. He used to work at my club.

ITF Pro Circuits: Who were or are your tennis idols?

Kumiko Iijima: My idol is Steffi Graf.

ITF Pro Circuits: What is your greatest tennis memory both as a player and as a fan?

Kumiko Iijima: Greatest memory...hmm...difficult but I think it’s Asian Open Juniors when I was 17-years old. I won that tournament and it made it possible for me to play in the Wimbledon Juniors main draw. Also, winning my first 25k title in my home town. Both are nice memories. As a fan, I was really excited to watch Martina [Hingis] and Anna's [Kournikova] doubles at the Australian Open.

ITF Pro Circuits: Away from the tennis courts do you have any other interests?

Kumiko Iijima: Apart from tennis, I really don’t do anything! I love being boring ha ha because that’s when I can have a rest and be free.

ITF Pro Circuits: If you had not become a professional tennis player what career path would you have liked to have followed?

Kumiko Iijima: I don’t know but I love to play sports so if I wasn’t a tennis player I would play other sports I guess.

ITF Pro Circuits: Can you tell us, in your opinion, what are the best and worst aspects of being a professional tennis player?

Kumiko Iijima: To be honest, best aspects is the money! Worst aspect is sometimes you have to go somewhere you really don’t want to go. I really don’t want to talk about money and the place I didn’t like but I guess it is.

ITF Pro Circuits: What has been the most bizarre venue that you have played at?

Kumiko Iijima: Most bizarre venue was in Bangladesh.

ITF Pro Circuits: Any stand out experiences that you have had on the ITF Pro Circuit that you can share with us?

Kumiko Iijima: Best experience for me is travelling around the world. You can see many people and cultures which you will never know if you don’t travel. Also playing at Wimbledon is one of my great experiences because I was dreaming about that since I started playing tennis, so kind of my dream came true.

ITF Pro Circuits: Does any particular match stand out and why?

Kumiko Iijima: No one particular match, although when I lost in the Wimbledon qualies final and I was on the Lucky Loser list I thought I can get in but there wasn’t any Lucky Loser slots that year. This is my biggest unlucky situation in my life (laughs).

ITF Pro Circuits: Do you regularly hang out with other players?

Kumiko Iijima: Most likely I’ll hang out with same age Japanese players. I also have some good friends on the tour and it is always nice to see each other.

ITF Pro Circuits: Where was the nicest venue that you have played at?

Kumiko Iijima: Nicest venue was in italy!

ITF Pro Circuits: What has been the funniest thing that has happened when playing the ITF Pro Circuit?

Kumiko Iijima: Nothing really happened to me whilst I am playing.

ITF Pro Circuits: To date, who would you say has been your toughest opponent on the ITF Pro Circuit?

Kumiko Iijima: Everybody is a tough opponent I think so I am always thinking about just what I have to do and what I want to do.

ITF Pro Circuits: Would you recommend that top juniors go on to play the ITF Pro Circuit?

Kumiko Iijima: Yes I would recommend that top juniors play. It is so much different and many things to learn. That’s why I’d recommend it.

ITF Pro Circuits: Kumiko, thanks for taking the time to answer our questions.

Good for Kumiko to be having success later in her career .
iGOAT is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2nd, 2010, 08:43 AM   #85
country flag Boreas

Kumiko in the second round of Taipei 100k.

64 62 win over Indonesia's Jessy Rompies, she'll be playing vs Tanasugarn, most likely, in the second round
Old Nov 14th, 2010, 05:12 PM   #86
country flag iGOAT

iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute

I know this is late, but:

September 2010 - ITF Spotlight On...Kumiko Iijima
By Nick Fishpool

Kumiko Iijima
Former WTA singles and doubles Top 200 ranked player Kumiko Iijima, 27, is our featured player for this month. Iijima competed in five $25,000 tournaments on the ITF Pro Circuit during the course of the month.

She began with a tournament 50km northeast of Tokyo in the city of Tsukuba where she was named as ninth seed in the qualifying event. Unfortunately for Iijima, the 2007 champion here, she failed to qualify for the main event, succumbing to a three set defeat in the final round. The doubles event, however, saw her claim a second title of the year. Unseeded with her Japanese partner Akiko Yonemura a place in the final was earned with two straight sets victories either side of being granted a win by Walkover when their fourth seeded opponents withdrew from their scheduled second round match. In the final they faced the all-Chinese Taipei pairing of Chin-Wei Chan & Yi Chen where they were forced to come from a set down to claim the title with a 46 76(6) [10-7] win.

Following the Tsukuba tournament she travelled to Australia where she would be competing in two tournaments before returning to Japan. First up was a tournament in Cairns, a city located in North Queensland. In the singles main draw event she started well, recording a three set win over Australia’s Isabella Holland before falling to the eighth seed and eventual champion, Ana-Clara Duarte of Brazil. The doubles event saw her team up with Sakiko Shimizu, a fellow Japanese player, but following a bright start that saw them drop just two games they were defeated in the second round by the third seeded Australian pairing of Alison Bai & Emelyn Starr, despite having opened up a one set lead.

Situated on the Timor Sea, Darwin, the capital city of the Northern Territory, provided the setting for her next Australian tournament. In the opening round she saw off Australian qualifier Daniella Dominikovic 61 63 to set up a re-match with the previous week’s champion Ana-Clara Duarte. Having lost to her in Cairns this provided Iijima with the opportunity to quickly avenge that defeat and a hard fought 64 75 win allowed her to do just that. In her quarterfinal match Tammi Patterson of Australia brought an end to her singles run with a straight sets 63 76(3) win. In the doubles event Iijima was playing with a new partner for the third tournament in succession, this time she was paired with Yurika Sema also from Japan. Seeded fourth they made it through to the final with relative ease with the only scare coming in the opening set of their second round match. Aussie duo Alenka Hubacek & Tammi Patterson, conquerors of the top seeds, provided the opposition but they were unable to prevent Iijima winning a second doubles title of the month.

Having secured the doubles title in Darwin, Iijima returned to Japan for the final two tournaments of the month. Both tournaments were held in cities in western Shizuoka Prefecture, the first being Makinohara. Here, for the first time this month, she entered into only the singles event. As an unseeded player, Iijima defeated a Japanese qualifier in the opening round 60 64 then followed this up by dropping just two games in each set of a straight sets win over the eighth seeded player, Ayaka Maekawa. Another qualifier faced her in the quarterfinal and after having shared the first two sets 63 apiece she dominated in the deciding set to win through to the semifinals 63 36 61. A tough match appeared on the cards as she faced the No. 2 seed from Thailand, Nudnida Luangnam, but this failed to materialise as Iijima romped to a 60 64 victory to reach her first ITF Pro Circuit singles final since September 2008. In this final she came up against another seeded player in Japan’s Shiho Akita, who was seeded third. Again a tough match was expected but once again Iijima emerged victorious and claimed a first title since September 2007 with an impressive 61 62 win.

The month was brought to a close with a tournament in the city of Hamanako and a return to doubles play where she claimed yet another doubles title, this time as the No. 1 seed with Erika Sema, the sister of her partner in Darwin. In the singles event and once more as an unseeded player she began, for the third consecutive tournament, with a straight sets win over a qualifier. Another straight sets win followed to bring about the first of three matches with familiar opposition. In the quarterfinals she took on her second round opponent from the previous week, Ayaka Maekawa, and again emerged triumphant in straight sets. This win set up a repeat of the Makinohara semifinal as she took on the No. 1 seed Nudnida Luangnam. A 61 75 win, her second in succession by this score line, took her into the final where facing her across the net was her doubles partner Erika Sema, who was seeded eighth. Sema took the opening set of the final 7-4 on a tiebreak but Iijima fought back to level the match with a 62 win before going on to take the title with a 64 win in the deciding set. This was only the second time in her professional career that she had managed to win the singles and doubles titles at the same tournament.

So to summarise this month for Kumiko Iijima, from the five tournaments played she won two singles titles from two back-to-back final appearances for the first time. In doubles play she took the title in each of her three finals, of which two titles were with sisters Yurika and Erika Sema, in Darwin, AUS and Hamanako, JPN respectively. Her career title count has now risen to four singles (eight finals) and an incredible eighteen in doubles (thirty finals).

An interview with Kumiko Iijima can be viewed here.

Very good month for her it sounds like .
iGOAT is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2011, 07:38 AM   #87

martin white has much to be proud of martin white has much to be proud of martin white has much to be proud of martin white has much to be proud of martin white has much to be proud of martin white has much to be proud of martin white has much to be proud of martin white has much to be proud of martin white has much to be proud of martin white has much to be proud of martin white has much to be proud of

This thread needed a bump,Kumiko made sf of 50k Fukuoka,losing in 3 sets to Tanasugarn,She made high ranking #180,,Kumiko into FO qualies toogood luck Kumiko......
Old Aug 23rd, 2011, 05:32 AM   #88

Kumiko plays Domachowska in the 1strd if USO Qualiestough draw but do your best Kumiko!good luck
Old Oct 30th, 2011, 11:17 AM   #89

Kumiko back has qualified for 100k Taipei,She must have been injured haven't seen her name in any draws lately,good luck will play Morita 1strd,
Old Mar 6th, 2012, 10:55 AM   #90

any news on Kumiko?i guess she has been injured ,i don't think she has played this year.....with news of Ryoko Fuda retiring,as much as i hope not i wouldn;t be suprised if Kumiko does too.,so many injuries