Maria Sharapova def. Justine Henin-Hardenne 6-4,6-4 - Page 12 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Sep 10th, 2006, 04:24 PM   #166
country flag Wayn77

Wayn77 has a reputation beyond repute Wayn77 has a reputation beyond repute Wayn77 has a reputation beyond repute Wayn77 has a reputation beyond repute Wayn77 has a reputation beyond repute Wayn77 has a reputation beyond repute Wayn77 has a reputation beyond repute Wayn77 has a reputation beyond repute Wayn77 has a reputation beyond repute Wayn77 has a reputation beyond repute Wayn77 has a reputation beyond repute
Congratulations to Maria Championova - fully deserved Slam
Wayn77 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 10th, 2006, 04:25 PM   #167
country flag fnc

fnc is a glorious beacon of light fnc is a glorious beacon of light fnc is a glorious beacon of light fnc is a glorious beacon of light fnc is a glorious beacon of light fnc is a glorious beacon of light fnc is a glorious beacon of light fnc is a glorious beacon of light fnc is a glorious beacon of light fnc is a glorious beacon of light fnc is a glorious beacon of light
An impressive win from Maria. Like the commentators said it looked like henin was doing all she could and Maria had something in reserve. She looked so happy.
fnc is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10th, 2006, 04:26 PM   #168
country flag Sweep

Sweep has a brilliant future Sweep has a brilliant future Sweep has a brilliant future Sweep has a brilliant future Sweep has a brilliant future Sweep has a brilliant future Sweep has a brilliant future Sweep has a brilliant future Sweep has a brilliant future Sweep has a brilliant future Sweep has a brilliant future
Absolutely brilliant. Well done Maria. After reading all the rubbish on here about her being a one-slam wonder over the past year, she blows everyone away with a fantastic performance to take her second GS title.

Credit to Henin-Hardenne for making four finals this year.
hantuchova.
dementieva.
chakvetadze.
Sweep is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10th, 2006, 04:36 PM   #169
country flag vwfan

vwfan has a reputation beyond repute vwfan has a reputation beyond repute vwfan has a reputation beyond repute vwfan has a reputation beyond repute vwfan has a reputation beyond repute vwfan has a reputation beyond repute vwfan has a reputation beyond repute vwfan has a reputation beyond repute vwfan has a reputation beyond repute vwfan has a reputation beyond repute vwfan has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazza
Both players were also very classy in the trophy presentation, which would've surprised the non-fans
I agree. Justine was gracious, said the better player won today. and Maria thanked BJK and congratulated Justine on a fabulous year.
vwfan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10th, 2006, 04:59 PM   #170
country flag furrykitten

furrykitten has a reputation beyond repute furrykitten has a reputation beyond repute furrykitten has a reputation beyond repute furrykitten has a reputation beyond repute furrykitten has a reputation beyond repute furrykitten has a reputation beyond repute furrykitten has a reputation beyond repute furrykitten has a reputation beyond repute furrykitten has a reputation beyond repute furrykitten has a reputation beyond repute furrykitten has a reputation beyond repute
Brilliant win Maria, you are awesome!!

WOLVERHAMPTON WANDERERS FC
furrykitten is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10th, 2006, 05:57 PM   #171
the cat

the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute
I'm so happy for Maria finally winning her second grand slam title. Now she can never be considered a one slam wonder by anyone. And it's nice to see her so happy. She has a certain glow about her now.
Happiness is like a cat. If you try to coax it or call it, it will avoid you. It will never come. But if you pay no attention to it and go about your business, you'll find it rubbing up against your legs and jumping into your lap. - William Bennett

http://cornedbeefhash.files.wordpres...arcelona08.jpg
the cat is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10th, 2006, 05:58 PM   #172
country flag Wintermute

Wintermute has a reputation beyond repute Wintermute has a reputation beyond repute Wintermute has a reputation beyond repute Wintermute has a reputation beyond repute Wintermute has a reputation beyond repute Wintermute has a reputation beyond repute Wintermute has a reputation beyond repute Wintermute has a reputation beyond repute Wintermute has a reputation beyond repute Wintermute has a reputation beyond repute Wintermute has a reputation beyond repute
Gotta say well done to Maria. That was one of the best matches I've seen her play. Her serving was sensational and you can see she is starting to develop her overall game and work on her weaknesses such as forward movement and net play.

Justine. Lost to the better player on the night. I've been amazed this summer how Justine came back with a really altered service motion to ease pain in her shoulder. I think she has not had the time to develop consistency in the new service action and that became apparent in the final and semi-final against Jankovic. She seemed incredibly disappointed to lose. But her year has been amazingly consistent and I hope now she makes the YEC final in top shape.

The acceptance speeches were very gracious and I was a little surprised by how much Maria made a point of thanking Billie Jean King (she said it twice). They didn't do the usual thanking the sponsors rubbish either.

And I still don't understand why they make these trophies with a removable lid. It's obvious what'll happen when the winner excitedly hoists it into the air.

Last edited by Wintermute : Sep 10th, 2006 at 06:17 PM.
Wintermute is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11th, 2006, 10:04 AM   #173
country flag disco_rage

disco_rage has a reputation beyond repute disco_rage has a reputation beyond repute disco_rage has a reputation beyond repute disco_rage has a reputation beyond repute disco_rage has a reputation beyond repute disco_rage has a reputation beyond repute disco_rage has a reputation beyond repute disco_rage has a reputation beyond repute disco_rage has a reputation beyond repute disco_rage has a reputation beyond repute disco_rage has a reputation beyond repute
Well done Maria!
Old Sep 11th, 2006, 10:08 AM   #174
country flag Sharapower

Sharapower has a brilliant future Sharapower has a brilliant future Sharapower has a brilliant future Sharapower has a brilliant future Sharapower has a brilliant future Sharapower has a brilliant future Sharapower has a brilliant future Sharapower has a brilliant future Sharapower has a brilliant future Sharapower has a brilliant future Sharapower has a brilliant future
I'm obviously very happy that Maria won her second GS title.
I just don't understand why some people found the final was boring. Justine didn't play bad at all, though not super-good and Maria just displayed awesome tennis and impressive shotmaking.
Sharapower is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11th, 2006, 10:19 AM   #175
country flag per4ever
Team WTAworld

per4ever has much to be proud of per4ever has much to be proud of per4ever has much to be proud of per4ever has much to be proud of per4ever has much to be proud of per4ever has much to be proud of per4ever has much to be proud of per4ever has much to be proud of per4ever has much to be proud of per4ever has much to be proud of per4ever has much to be proud of
Congratulations to Maria! Great win from her!

Too bad for Justine, but I'm sure that many victories will follow Continue that great year Justine and now help Belgium to conquer the Fed Cup!
per4ever is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11th, 2006, 12:23 PM   #176
country flag WC6320

WC6320 is a name known to all WC6320 is a name known to all WC6320 is a name known to all WC6320 is a name known to all WC6320 is a name known to all WC6320 is a name known to all WC6320 is a name known to all WC6320 is a name known to all WC6320 is a name known to all WC6320 is a name known to all WC6320 is a name known to all
Maria, you are a legend! Well done and congrats!!!!!!

Also massive fan of Alicia Molik, Sammy Stosur,
Jelena Jankovic, Ana Ivanovic and Kim Clijsters
West Coast Eagles member
2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007.

Official Pasta Chef of the Maria Mafia
Official Trombone player of Kirilenko's Orchestra
WC6320 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11th, 2006, 03:15 PM   #177
country flag Michael Pemulis

Michael Pemulis is a splendid one to behold Michael Pemulis is a splendid one to behold Michael Pemulis is a splendid one to behold Michael Pemulis is a splendid one to behold Michael Pemulis is a splendid one to behold Michael Pemulis is a splendid one to behold Michael Pemulis is a splendid one to behold Michael Pemulis is a splendid one to behold Michael Pemulis is a splendid one to behold Michael Pemulis is a splendid one to behold Michael Pemulis is a splendid one to behold
First, big congratulations to Maria for the great run. She really surprised me for the game displayed in semifinal and in the final. After a sluggish start of the tournament, Masha changed gear and produced his best tennis ever, showing all her greatness. Sincerely, I thought she wasn't able to do it. I mean, Maria’ best quality, as she confirmed during the press release, is the mental strength. She never gives up, she doesn’t like to lose. I couldn’t believe neither she would have served that good, mixing up pace and loop, nor she would have hit the ball so good, building the points with patience and surgical precision. It seems she learned very well how to manage a match against a top player, worked on her weaknesses such as movement and a predictable pace of the ball. So congrats to Yuri, Michael and the trainer for that. I dunno why so many people are still focused on Yuri telling Maria to eat a banana. That’s the funny part of a very complex Dad, coach and tennis guru. Illegal coaching from the sidelines is widespread in tennis, I dunno why Yuri is the only to blame for that. Maybe ‘coz is not that good to hide his signals ? Relating to her opponent in the final, I would say Justine didn’t play bad at all, even though she remained too passive, too defensive, and showed the new serve mechanic takes some getting used to. I was thinking that Jelena better deserved that spot in the final. But it was just a thought, we will never know how it would have gone, because JJ had thrown a match almost won in that horrendous way.

Michael Pemulis

www.red-sequoia.com
Michael Pemulis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote