Computer help! - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Aug 21st, 2006, 05:21 AM   #1
country flag BigB08822

BigB08822 has a reputation beyond repute BigB08822 has a reputation beyond repute BigB08822 has a reputation beyond repute BigB08822 has a reputation beyond repute BigB08822 has a reputation beyond repute BigB08822 has a reputation beyond repute BigB08822 has a reputation beyond repute BigB08822 has a reputation beyond repute BigB08822 has a reputation beyond repute BigB08822 has a reputation beyond repute BigB08822 has a reputation beyond repute
Computer help!

Ok so I am going through a very tough time with my ex who also happens to be my roomate now. He wont get his own bed or computer and I finally have put my foot down and kicked him out of my bed but he still is on my computer every chance he gets. I wouldn't mind but he is treating me horribly and I refuse to let him use me anymore.

I want to set up the computer so he can not log in without my password. However, he says if I try that then all he has to do is sign on in "safe mode" and he can bypass it. Is this true? Does anyone have any tips on how to really keep him from getting on my computer unless I want him to? Also, how can I put one of those things on my computer that tracks everything thats being done on it?

Any other ideas?
BigB08822 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Aug 21st, 2006, 06:07 AM   #2
country flag Jeff

Jeff has a reputation beyond repute Jeff has a reputation beyond repute Jeff has a reputation beyond repute Jeff has a reputation beyond repute Jeff has a reputation beyond repute Jeff has a reputation beyond repute Jeff has a reputation beyond repute Jeff has a reputation beyond repute Jeff has a reputation beyond repute Jeff has a reputation beyond repute Jeff has a reputation beyond repute
What operating system are you using?

Jeff is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21st, 2006, 06:09 AM   #3
country flag BigB08822

BigB08822 has a reputation beyond repute BigB08822 has a reputation beyond repute BigB08822 has a reputation beyond repute BigB08822 has a reputation beyond repute BigB08822 has a reputation beyond repute BigB08822 has a reputation beyond repute BigB08822 has a reputation beyond repute BigB08822 has a reputation beyond repute BigB08822 has a reputation beyond repute BigB08822 has a reputation beyond repute BigB08822 has a reputation beyond repute
The latest Windows. I just installed something on my computer to track everything. I have already forgotten the name but it is a 21 day trial and it sounds good. I am going to have to wait a day or so to see how good the reports are and if it really tracks everything or not.

My main concern is keeping him off the computer, I set up the username and password protected it but I want to make sure he still can't login in somehow, like how he says he can still get in in safe mode but he might just be lying to me.
Old Aug 21st, 2006, 06:13 AM   #4
country flag Jeff

Jeff has a reputation beyond repute Jeff has a reputation beyond repute Jeff has a reputation beyond repute Jeff has a reputation beyond repute Jeff has a reputation beyond repute Jeff has a reputation beyond repute Jeff has a reputation beyond repute Jeff has a reputation beyond repute Jeff has a reputation beyond repute Jeff has a reputation beyond repute Jeff has a reputation beyond repute
The link below tells you what to do:

http://www.komando.com/tips/index.aspx?id=1378

Jeff is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21st, 2006, 06:16 AM   #5
country flag jbeacinu

jbeacinu is a splendid one to behold jbeacinu is a splendid one to behold jbeacinu is a splendid one to behold jbeacinu is a splendid one to behold jbeacinu is a splendid one to behold jbeacinu is a splendid one to behold jbeacinu is a splendid one to behold jbeacinu is a splendid one to behold jbeacinu is a splendid one to behold jbeacinu is a splendid one to behold jbeacinu is a splendid one to behold
Ouch...beat the shit out of him

Victoria Azarenka.x. Andrea Petkovic .x. Julia Goerges.x. Petra Kvitova .x. Daniela Hantuchova

Djokovic ~ Murray~ Tsonga ~Monfils
jbeacinu is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21st, 2006, 06:22 AM   #6
country flag slk45

slk45 has a reputation beyond repute slk45 has a reputation beyond repute slk45 has a reputation beyond repute slk45 has a reputation beyond repute slk45 has a reputation beyond repute slk45 has a reputation beyond repute slk45 has a reputation beyond repute slk45 has a reputation beyond repute slk45 has a reputation beyond repute slk45 has a reputation beyond repute slk45 has a reputation beyond repute
Go into system setup (also called CMOS setup). You do this by pressing either the DELete key or F2 key (or F10 if you have a Compaq usually) right after rebooting the computer. If the Windows screen starts loading, you're too late. On the first black screen when the memory is checking itself, it will often say 'Press [key] to enter setup.' Press it 3 or 4 times while the computer is first booting.

Once you are in setup, there should be a tab to take you to Security. You can enter a user password there which should prevent anyone from getting into Windows. Follow the on-screen instructions to maneuver thru set-up and save your changes. Make sure you remember this password...it will need to be entered everytime the computer starts up. There is a way to get around this, but I won't post it here.

Even if your ex can get into 'Safe Mode,' that won't help him as far as using internet goes, or most Windows programs. The Windows drivers do not load in safe mode, so most applications will not work. A few programs, like utilities, will work, but internet won't.

ps- time to get a new roommate. If you are wise, you won't make it a new BF.

Now obvious to all: wherever he goes, Obama is the least competent man in the room.

Lena's Official Exclusive Personal Masseur onboard the S.S. Dementieva

LENA - OLYMPIC GOLD BEPA - OLYMPIC BRONZE

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...ya-Lena3-2.jpg
slk45 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21st, 2006, 07:06 AM   #7
country flag BigB08822

Thanks for the help.

So I did a little test run and tried to run it on "safe mode" to see what would happen. Sure enough I was able to log in to safemode under an "Administrator" account that was NOT password protected. So I went in under that and set it at a password as well and now it appears to me he should be completely unable to get into anything unless there is another way around it all.

As for getting him out, like I said he is going and no, the next roomate will NOT be one I want to or have ever slept with! LOL