The Finland / Jenni Vartiainen Thread - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Apr 21st, 2008, 02:12 PM   #1
country flag azdaja

azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute
The Finland / Jenni Vartiainen Thread

would somebody be so kind and help me with the homework for my finnish course?

basically, i have a list of nouns that i need to put in locative cases, but i need to do it by building meaningful sentences (e.g. menen taloon, olen talossa, tulen talolta etc). this makes sense in the case of talo, but not in the case of pieni kahvi, for example. which verbs could i use in front of pieneen kahvilaan and pienestä kahvilasta? i was kinda thinking about a fly falling into it or something

for stuff such as tuoli and sohva i decided to use istua, but which verb could i use for tuolilta? is nostaa ok in this context?

also, for auto and hissi, does it make sense to say menen autoon/hissiin and tulen autosta/hissistä? or should some other verbs be used?

which is correct rappukäytävässä or rappukäytävällä? and can i use mennä and tulla with rappukäytävä? also, can i use these verbs with piha?

and finally is my assumption that both merissä and merillä are possible, but mean 2 different things (in and at sea)?

many thanks in advance.

Last edited by azdaja : Jan 14th, 2009 at 07:34 PM.
azdaja is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 21st, 2008, 03:20 PM   #2
country flag VRee_Willario

VRee_Willario has a reputation beyond repute VRee_Willario has a reputation beyond repute VRee_Willario has a reputation beyond repute VRee_Willario has a reputation beyond repute VRee_Willario has a reputation beyond repute VRee_Willario has a reputation beyond repute VRee_Willario has a reputation beyond repute VRee_Willario has a reputation beyond repute VRee_Willario has a reputation beyond repute VRee_Willario has a reputation beyond repute VRee_Willario has a reputation beyond repute
Re: questions for speakers of finnish

Quote:
Originally Posted by azdaja View Post
would somebody be so kind and help me with the homework for my finnish course?

basically, i have a list of nouns that i need to put in locative cases, but i need to do it by building meaningful sentences (e.g. menen taloon, olen talossa, tulen talolta etc). this makes sense in the case of talo, but not in the case of pieni kahvi, for example. which verbs could i use in front of pieneen kahvilaan and pienestä kahvilasta? i was kinda thinking about a fly falling into it or something

for stuff such as tuoli and sohva i decided to use istua, but which verb could i use for tuolilta? is nostaa ok in this context?

also, for auto and hissi, does it make sense to say menen autoon/hissiin and tulen autosta/hissistä? or should some other verbs be used?

which is correct rappukäytävässä or rappukäytävällä? and can i use mennä and tulla with rappukäytävä? also, can i use these verbs with piha?

and finally is my assumption that both merissä and merillä are possible, but mean 2 different things (in and at sea)?

many thanks in advance.
Was the word "pieni kahvi" or "pieni kahvila" = small café?
You can of course say "Pienessä kahvissa on paljon sokeria" = There's alot of sugar... or "Laitan sokeria pieneen kahviin" = I put sugar...

Yes, you can use "nostaa" "Nostan kirjan tuolilta" or "Otin (I took) kirjan tuolilta"
It is correct to say "menen autoon/hissiin and tulen autosta/hissistä"

"Rappukäytävässä" is correct.
"Menen rappukäytävään - tulen rappukäytävästä"
And "Menen pihalle - tulen pihalta" is correct

Merissä is used like this "Näissä merissä asuu harvinaisia lajeja" "There are rare species living in these seas"
And "merillä" is used in like "He purjehtivat merillä" "They are sailing on the seas" so they are not under the sea like the fish. That's the difference I think.
"Laiva on merellä" The ship is at the sea

ArantxaSanchez-Vicario

Vee and Ree A fan since I was eight years old, and always supporting you
VRee_Willario is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21st, 2008, 03:51 PM   #3
country flag azdaja

azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-S-V Williams View Post
Was the word "pieni kahvi" or "pieni kahvila" = small café?
now that you say it i actually think it was kahvila, but i'll check it out in the book later.

Quote:
You can of course say "Pienessä kahvissa on paljon sokeria" = There's alot of sugar... or "Laitan sokeria pieneen kahviin" = I put sugar...

Yes, you can use "nostaa" "Nostan kirjan tuolilta" or "Otin (I took) kirjan tuolilta"
It is correct to say "menen autoon/hissiin and tulen autosta/hissistä"

"Rappukäytävässä" is correct.
"Menen rappukäytävään - tulen rappukäytävästä"
And "Menen pihalle - tulen pihalta" is correct

Merissä is used like this "Näissä merissä asuu harvinaisia lajeja" "There are rare species living in these seas"
And "merillä" is used in like "He purjehtivat merillä" "They are sailing on the seas" so they are not under the sea like the fish. That's the difference I think.
"Laiva on merellä" The ship is at the sea
kiitos
Old May 7th, 2008, 12:11 PM   #4
country flag azdaja

more questions for another homework.

this time we got sentences and we need to find the root, the nominative and partitive forms of nouns. it would be nice if someone would take a look at this and see if there are any errors

kaapissa.
Vartalo: kaapi-
N kaappi
P kaappia

tuosta pienestä tytöstä.
Vartalo: tuo-
N tuo
P tuota
Vartalo: piene-
N pieni
P pientä
Vartalo: tytö-
N tyttö
P tyttöä

Soumalaisessa ruoassa
Vartalo: suomalaise-
N suomalainen
P suomalaista
Vartalo: ruoka
N ruoka
P ruokaa

Leivät
Vartalo: leivä-
N leipä
P leipää

klassisesta musiikista?
Vartalo: klassise-
N klassinen
P klassista
Vartalo: musiiki-
N musiikki
P musiikkia

Liput ovat laukussa.
Vartalo: lipu-
N lippu
P lippua
Vartalo: lauku-
N laukku
P lauukkua

Ravut
Vartalo: ravu-
N rapu
P rapua

lopussa.
Vartalo: lopu-
N loppu
P loppua

Kengät
Vartalo: kengä-
N kenkä
P kenkää

täydessä
Vartalo: täyde-
N täysi
P täyttä

Lehdet
Vartalo: lehde-
N lehti
P lehteä

Velat
Vartalo: vela-
N velka
P velkaa

joessa
Vartalo: joe-
N joki
P jokea

Halvat paikat
Vartalo: halva-
N halpa
P halpaa
Vartalo: paika-
N paikka
P paikkaa

saarella
Vartalo: saare-
N saari
P saarta

Ranalla
Vartalo: ranna-
N ranta
P rantaa

thanks in advance again.
Old May 7th, 2008, 05:08 PM   #5

VRee_Willario has a reputation beyond repute VRee_Willario has a reputation beyond repute VRee_Willario has a reputation beyond repute VRee_Willario has a reputation beyond repute VRee_Willario has a reputation beyond repute VRee_Willario has a reputation beyond repute VRee_Willario has a reputation beyond repute VRee_Willario has a reputation beyond repute VRee_Willario has a reputation beyond repute VRee_Willario has a reputation beyond repute VRee_Willario has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
more questions for another homework.

this time we got sentences and we need to find the root, the nominative and partitive forms of nouns. it would be nice if someone would take a look at this and see if there are any errors

kaapissa.
Vartalo: kaapi-
N kaappi
P kaappia

tuosta pienestä tytöstä.
Vartalo: tuo-
N tuo
P tuota
Vartalo: piene-
N pieni
P pientä
Vartalo: tytö-
N tyttö
P tyttöä

Soumalaisessa ruoassa
Vartalo: suomalaise-
N suomalainen
P suomalaista
Vartalo: ruoka
N ruoka
P ruokaa

Leivät
Vartalo: leivä-
N leipä
P leipää

klassisesta musiikista?
Vartalo: klassise-
N klassinen
P klassista
Vartalo: musiiki-
N musiikki
P musiikkia

Liput ovat laukussa.
Vartalo: lipu-
N lippu
P lippua
Vartalo: lauku-
N laukku
P lauukkua

Ravut
Vartalo: ravu-
N rapu
P rapua

lopussa.
Vartalo: lopu-
N loppu
P loppua

Kengät
Vartalo: kengä-
N kenkä
P kenkää

täydessä
Vartalo: täyde-
N täysi
P täyttä

Lehdet
Vartalo: lehde-
N lehti
P lehteä

Velat
Vartalo: vela-
N velka
P velkaa

joessa
Vartalo: joe-
N joki
P jokea

Halvat paikat
Vartalo: halva-
N halpa
P halpaa
Vartalo: paika-
N paikka
P paikkaa

saarella
Vartalo: saare-
N saari
P saarta

Rannalla
Vartalo: ranna-
N ranta
P rantaa

thanks in advance again.
Oikein

ArantxaSanchez-Vicario

Old May 8th, 2008, 09:53 AM   #6
country flag azdaja

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-S-V Williams View Post
Oikein
thanks again

i totally didn't expect it to be all correct, i gotta say, but of course i'm pleased with this. i will have to beg for another review very soon, though, because my next homework is really tough. i will need to write a "story" and use particular words in it.
Old May 22nd, 2008, 02:20 PM   #7
country flag azdaja

ok, a different question this time. the finnish song contest entry is called missä miehet ratsastaa. i don't understand why is the verb here 3rd person singular when the subject miehet is in plural shouldn't it be missä miehet ratsastavat? or is this just another trick the finnish language plays on its poor learners?
Old May 22nd, 2008, 02:24 PM   #8
country flag korben

korben has a reputation beyond repute korben has a reputation beyond repute korben has a reputation beyond repute korben has a reputation beyond repute korben has a reputation beyond repute korben has a reputation beyond repute korben has a reputation beyond repute korben has a reputation beyond repute korben has a reputation beyond repute korben has a reputation beyond repute korben has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
shouldn't it be missä miehet ratsastavat?
It should, but that is too hard to sing. Artistical freedom
korben is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2008, 02:50 PM   #9
country flag Slumpsova

Slumpsova has a reputation beyond repute Slumpsova has a reputation beyond repute Slumpsova has a reputation beyond repute Slumpsova has a reputation beyond repute Slumpsova has a reputation beyond repute Slumpsova has a reputation beyond repute Slumpsova has a reputation beyond repute Slumpsova has a reputation beyond repute Slumpsova has a reputation beyond repute Slumpsova has a reputation beyond repute Slumpsova has a reputation beyond repute

sounds so difficult to speak Finnish
i admire Emma Laine for doing that influently
Slumpsova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2008, 02:58 PM   #10
country flag azdaja

Quote:
Originally Posted by korben View Post
It should, but that is too hard to sing. Artistical freedom
i see. well, i guess i'm using artistic freedom a lot when i'm speaking or writing finnish
Old May 22nd, 2008, 06:09 PM   #11

I've heard Slovak is a very hard language, so :worsip: to Daniela.
Also Russian is pretty hard because all the different verb forms
I'm studying Russian in school so I know

ArantxaSanchez-Vicario

Old May 22nd, 2008, 06:13 PM   #12
country flag Princess Fiona
Team WTAworld
Superskyderen

Princess Fiona has a reputation beyond repute Princess Fiona has a reputation beyond repute Princess Fiona has a reputation beyond repute Princess Fiona has a reputation beyond repute Princess Fiona has a reputation beyond repute Princess Fiona has a reputation beyond repute Princess Fiona has a reputation beyond repute Princess Fiona has a reputation beyond repute Princess Fiona has a reputation beyond repute Princess Fiona has a reputation beyond repute Princess Fiona has a reputation beyond repute

I'd really like to speak Finnish. (I've tried to learn a little bit - I should try harder/learn harder! DEFINITELY! I really love a lot of Finnish language music )

I should try and concentrate more on this thread, but my head is hurting a little right now... (NO excuse, tss... )
Old May 23rd, 2008, 10:32 AM   #13
country flag azdaja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Fiona View Post
I'd really like to speak Finnish. (I've tried to learn a little bit - I should try harder/learn harder! DEFINITELY! I really love a lot of Finnish language music )

I should try and concentrate more on this thread, but my head is hurting a little right now... (NO excuse, tss... )
feel free to post here. one of the most difficult things about learning finnish is finding other people who want to learn it. i'm really glad i can attend this course at the university, but there are too few students for it to go beyond 2 semesters, so whether i like it or not i will have to do the main course with twice as many lessons per week as this one. i really don't have that much time, but we will see

i guess we can also post other finland related stuff here. i'm going there again in the summer, so i could already get in the right mood.
Old May 23rd, 2008, 07:58 PM   #14
country flag Princess Fiona
Team WTAworld
Superskyderen

Princess Fiona has a reputation beyond repute Princess Fiona has a reputation beyond repute Princess Fiona has a reputation beyond repute Princess Fiona has a reputation beyond repute Princess Fiona has a reputation beyond repute Princess Fiona has a reputation beyond repute Princess Fiona has a reputation beyond repute Princess Fiona has a reputation beyond repute Princess Fiona has a reputation beyond repute Princess Fiona has a reputation beyond repute Princess Fiona has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: questions for speakers of finnish

Quote:
feel free to post here. one of the most difficult things about learning finnish is finding other people who want to learn it. i'm really glad i can attend this course at the university, but there are too few students for it to go beyond 2 semesters, so whether i like it or not i will have to do the main course with twice as many lessons per week as this one. i really don't have that much time, but we will see

i guess we can also post other finland related stuff here. i'm going there again in the summer, so i could already get in the right mood.
Kiitos! Mitä kuuluu? (No, I am really not confident/good enough... I taught myself some Finnish using a computer package at the end of last year, and I have a "Teach Yourself Finnish" course. I have started this course, but I haven't progressed very far at all - at ALL - and I really need/want to pick it up again... )

I'd love to attend Finnish classes. I really hope that things continue to go well for you. I would absolutely LOVE to visit Finland (LVE!! That's a verrry emphatic 'love'!! ) one day. I would love to hear some more stories about Finland... (Maybe Teräsbetoni will win Eurovision for Finland again? Maybe? Aargh, no jinxing please... Finland/Eurovision - that sounds like one dream trip to me... *sighs* )
Old May 24th, 2008, 11:39 AM   #15
country flag azdaja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Fiona View Post
Kiitos! Mitä kuuluu? (No, I am really not confident/good enough... I taught myself some Finnish using a computer package at the end of last year, and I have a "Teach Yourself Finnish" course. I have started this course, but I haven't progressed very far at all - at ALL - and I really need/want to pick it up again... )

I'd love to attend Finnish classes. I really hope that things continue to go well for you. I would absolutely LOVE to visit Finland (LVE!! That's a verrry emphatic 'love'!! ) one day. I would love to hear some more stories about Finland... (Maybe Teräsbetoni will win Eurovision for Finland again? Maybe? Aargh, no jinxing please... Finland/Eurovision - that sounds like one dream trip to me... *sighs* )
oh, i won't be chatting in finnish anytime soon, at best i could insert a phrase or 2, but i'm trying. i need to start understanding texts and songs better first.

since you say you like finnish music, i kinda like this song, perhaps you'd like to check it out:
Jenni Vartiainen - Ihmisten edessä