News and Articles - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Aug 10th, 2006, 09:47 PM   #1
country flag Zoltan83

Zoltan83 has a reputation beyond repute Zoltan83 has a reputation beyond repute Zoltan83 has a reputation beyond repute Zoltan83 has a reputation beyond repute Zoltan83 has a reputation beyond repute Zoltan83 has a reputation beyond repute Zoltan83 has a reputation beyond repute Zoltan83 has a reputation beyond repute Zoltan83 has a reputation beyond repute Zoltan83 has a reputation beyond repute Zoltan83 has a reputation beyond repute
News and Articles

I put here the message from Loz46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loz46
Don't know if you guys have heard this, but I found this article in the Herald Sun newspaper in Melbourne today.

Aussies rally to claim teen
August 10, 2006 12:00am

TALENTED Slovakian tennis teenager Jarmila Gajdosova is considering switching to Australia.

Rated one of the most promising young players in the world, Gajdosova is investigating taking out Australian citizenship.
Ranked 86th in the world, 19-year-old Gajdosova has claimed four singles titles on the International Tennis Federation circuit this season, while establishing herself as a grand slam fixture.

The Bratislava baseliner has forged strong links with Australia, notably through Sydney coach Simon Walsh, trainer Dave Bailey and sponsor Ron Kohn, of Topserve Tennis.

Beaten in the Australian Open junior semi-finals two years ago by Czech world No. 9 Nicole Vaidisova, Gajdosova reached the French Open second round in May.

Gajdosova thumped sixth seed and world No. 49 Anastasia Yakimova 6-2 6-3 in Stockholm overnight to underline her credentials.

Financially independent, Gajdosova has canvassed the possibility of switching allegiances with Australian players and officials.

But, unlike Jelena Dokic who received significant monetary backing from Tennis Australia before her transfer back to Serbia and Montenegro, Gajdosova is bankrolling her own career.

Walsh confirmed Gajdosova is not seeking assistance from Tennis Australia.

"Her interest in the idea of possible citizenship is based on her love for the Australian life," Walsh said.

"She has spent a lot of special times there in the past two years, including Christmas and her birthdays.

"(She) has a lot of close friends there and she feels very at home.

"She has always enjoyed her time there immensely and really her interest is based around looking at her life and future, importantly, after tennis one day.

"She is in a certain position where she is not looking for, or needs, any outside support connected to her tennis.

"Jarmila is 100 per cent financially self-sufficient and also has her own sponsors and support team and resources.

"She is already established in the top 100 at only 19 years of age and does not need any financial or other support -- meaning wildcards.

"Her interest in Australian citizenship has absolutely nothing to do with that.

"It's about her interest and love in Australia."

Gajdosova dominated the Australian leg of the ITF calendar this season, capturing singles crowns in Sydney, Gosford and Canberra.

The right-hander was based in Australia from November to April and registered her first win at grand slam level in Paris in May with victory over Stephanie Cohen-Aloro.

She also boasts wins this year over Wimbledon quarter-finalist Severine Bremond and Australian Sam Stosur.

TA director of player development Craig Tiley described Gajdosova as accomplished.

"She's got a lot of upside to her game, she's an exciting new talent," Tiley said.

"She's been pretty tied into the Australian environment for quite a while. If she's successful with her citizenship application, we would welcome her into the Australian tennis community."
Yes, I read it too today... I don't know (yet) if it's accurate or not.

Good luck to : Daniela Hantuchova - Gisela Dulko - Maria Kirilenko - Nicole Vaidisova - Jarmila Gajdosova - Iona Raluca Olaru - Edina Gallovits - Sorana Cristea - Dominika Cibulkova - Stéphanie Dubois - Marie-Eve Pelletier - Valerie Tetreault - Jillian O'Neill -Mandy Minella - Dinara Safina - Karolina Sprem - Alicia Molik - Ana Ivanovic - Martina Hingis

Last edited by Zoltan83 : Aug 10th, 2006 at 09:56 PM.
Zoltan83 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Aug 10th, 2006, 11:00 PM   #2
country flag nigel - dani fan
Team WTAworld

nigel - dani fan has a reputation beyond repute nigel - dani fan has a reputation beyond repute nigel - dani fan has a reputation beyond repute nigel - dani fan has a reputation beyond repute nigel - dani fan has a reputation beyond repute nigel - dani fan has a reputation beyond repute nigel - dani fan has a reputation beyond repute nigel - dani fan has a reputation beyond repute nigel - dani fan has a reputation beyond repute nigel - dani fan has a reputation beyond repute nigel - dani fan has a reputation beyond repute
I've found the original article:
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sto...5-3162,00.html

There's nothing on Jarka's site yet..
http://www.jarmilagajdosova.com

|Ain't no party like a... COCKTAIL PARTY!| |D'Express 13(0DH)|

Quote:
"I guess the way to get there is to keep working hard and fight all the way"
Daniela Hantuchova
nigel - dani fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 01:14 PM   #3
country flag Zoltan83

Zoltan83 has a reputation beyond repute Zoltan83 has a reputation beyond repute Zoltan83 has a reputation beyond repute Zoltan83 has a reputation beyond repute Zoltan83 has a reputation beyond repute Zoltan83 has a reputation beyond repute Zoltan83 has a reputation beyond repute Zoltan83 has a reputation beyond repute Zoltan83 has a reputation beyond repute Zoltan83 has a reputation beyond repute Zoltan83 has a reputation beyond repute
It's not the first time, people are saying that. But the last time, Jarka said it was rumors only.

Good luck to : Daniela Hantuchova - Gisela Dulko - Maria Kirilenko - Nicole Vaidisova - Jarmila Gajdosova - Iona Raluca Olaru - Edina Gallovits - Sorana Cristea - Dominika Cibulkova - Stéphanie Dubois - Marie-Eve Pelletier - Valerie Tetreault - Jillian O'Neill -Mandy Minella - Dinara Safina - Karolina Sprem - Alicia Molik - Ana Ivanovic - Martina Hingis
Zoltan83 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18th, 2006, 01:31 PM   #4
country flag SloKid
The long and winding road.

SloKid has a reputation beyond repute SloKid has a reputation beyond repute SloKid has a reputation beyond repute SloKid has a reputation beyond repute SloKid has a reputation beyond repute SloKid has a reputation beyond repute SloKid has a reputation beyond repute SloKid has a reputation beyond repute SloKid has a reputation beyond repute SloKid has a reputation beyond repute SloKid has a reputation beyond repute
I really hope she doesn't switch.
SloKid is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14th, 2008, 06:08 AM   #5
country flag Ben.

Ben. has a reputation beyond repute Ben. has a reputation beyond repute Ben. has a reputation beyond repute Ben. has a reputation beyond repute Ben. has a reputation beyond repute Ben. has a reputation beyond repute Ben. has a reputation beyond repute Ben. has a reputation beyond repute Ben. has a reputation beyond repute Ben. has a reputation beyond repute Ben. has a reputation beyond repute
Re: News and Articles

Thought it might be of interest. Article is from the Melbourne Herald Sun.

Quote:
All set for doubles match

December 14, 2008 12:00am
IT is a perfect love match and will be sealed with an ace straight after the Australian Open.

Bright young tennis hopes Sam Groth and Jarmila Gajdosova will marry two days after the Australian Open ends on February 1.

The pair, who have dated for 18 months, will contest the mixed doubles at Melbourne Park.

"There aren't many couples together on tour but it's great to know we have each other," Groth said.

"The longest we've been apart was four weeks which is pretty good when you're on the road a lot."

Gajdosova is originally from Slovakia but has lived here for five years. She is ranked 98 in the world and has earned direct entry into the Open.

Groth is ranked inside the top 250 and will be vying for a wildcard in the playoffs that start tomorrow.

"It'd be good to win the wildcard and take it all out of the picture a bit," Groth said.

"Then I guess it's up to the powers that be and whatever decision they make I don't think anyone deserves it more than anyone else."

Gajdosova will also play in Brisbane on the back of an impressive 2008 with wins in Gimcheon, Korea, Kawana, Traralgon and Taiwan.

"I was 17 when I decided to come out here and I never thought I'd marry an Australian!" Gajdosova said.

The pair will marry in Groth's hometown of Albury.
Ben. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14th, 2008, 06:23 AM   #6
country flag Daniel.

Daniel. has much to be proud of Daniel. has much to be proud of Daniel. has much to be proud of Daniel. has much to be proud of Daniel. has much to be proud of Daniel. has much to be proud of Daniel. has much to be proud of Daniel. has much to be proud of Daniel. has much to be proud of Daniel. has much to be proud of Daniel. has much to be proud of

They're so awesome, congrats to them.
But planning a wedding is a huge thing and will definately affect their AO preparation and will take away their focus abit.
Old Dec 15th, 2008, 06:14 AM   #7
country flag PointBlank
Team WTAworld

PointBlank has a reputation beyond repute PointBlank has a reputation beyond repute PointBlank has a reputation beyond repute PointBlank has a reputation beyond repute PointBlank has a reputation beyond repute PointBlank has a reputation beyond repute PointBlank has a reputation beyond repute PointBlank has a reputation beyond repute PointBlank has a reputation beyond repute PointBlank has a reputation beyond repute PointBlank has a reputation beyond repute

she told me the other day she wasnt to marry until early march, the wedding was pushed back as far as i know.
Old Dec 15th, 2008, 06:16 AM   #8
country flag PointBlank
Team WTAworld

PointBlank has a reputation beyond repute PointBlank has a reputation beyond repute PointBlank has a reputation beyond repute PointBlank has a reputation beyond repute PointBlank has a reputation beyond repute PointBlank has a reputation beyond repute PointBlank has a reputation beyond repute PointBlank has a reputation beyond repute PointBlank has a reputation beyond repute PointBlank has a reputation beyond repute PointBlank has a reputation beyond repute

okay, so i checked what she sent me and im retarded. she said they are to marry 3.2.09 and since im american i read it march second and not febuary third. haha.
Old Dec 20th, 2008, 01:02 AM   #9
country flag hellas719

hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute

shouldn't this be in tennis slovakia, since she plays for them now?

Wickmayer. Venus. Ivanovic. Cirstea. Halep.
Azarenka. Krajicek. Flipkens. Pironkova. Begu.
Lisicki. Paszek. Vesnina. Pavlyuchenkova. Cornet.
Stephens. Oudin. King. Vandeweghe. McHale.
Grammatikopoulou ~ Papamichail ~ Sakkari
hellas719 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20th, 2008, 03:39 AM   #10
country flag Harvs

Harvs has a reputation beyond repute Harvs has a reputation beyond repute Harvs has a reputation beyond repute Harvs has a reputation beyond repute Harvs has a reputation beyond repute Harvs has a reputation beyond repute Harvs has a reputation beyond repute Harvs has a reputation beyond repute Harvs has a reputation beyond repute Harvs has a reputation beyond repute Harvs has a reputation beyond repute

lol, what?

other way round u mean?
Harvs is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8th, 2009, 06:25 PM   #11
country flag steph'

steph' is a name known to all steph' is a name known to all steph' is a name known to all steph' is a name known to all steph' is a name known to all steph' is a name known to all steph' is a name known to all steph' is a name known to all steph' is a name known to all steph' is a name known to all steph' is a name known to all

Getting To Know... Jarmila Gajdosova

BRISBANE, Australia - Upon traveling to the Australian Open as a 14-year-old junior, Bratislava-born Jarmila Gajdosova fell in love with the place - and, later, a young Australian player called Sam Groth. Destiny was set: the young Slovak would forge a new life on the far side of the world.

Indeed, so clear did Gajdosova's commitment to the land Down Under become that in 2007 she was awarded a scholarship to the Australian Institute of Sport; technically she still represents Slovakia but the 21-year-old is casually referred to as an Australian by local media, and fans have also embraced her as one of their own. In any case, a citizenship application is with immigration authorities, and as soon as the upcoming Australian Open is over, the current world No.98 and Groth will tie the knot. The dream of playing Fed Cup for her adopted nation could soon be a reality.

That's good news for both player and country. Ranked as high as No.64 in 2006, when she reached the third round of the US Open, Gajdosova has struggled with injuries over the past couple of seasons. But since last year's US Open she has enjoyed renewed success, especially on the ITF Circuit where she collected four singles titles in 2008. She also registered her best Sony Ericsson WTA Tour result at the Japan Open, beating Shahar Peer before falling to eventual champion Caroline Wozniacki in the semis.

We caught up with Gajdosova at the Brisbane International, where she upset China's Peng Shuai in the first round - her 29th win in 33 matches - and gave No.2 seed Victoria Azarenka all sorts of trouble before falling 76(4) 75.

First things first: Have you ever been camping in the bush?
JG: No, I think I would be too scared! All those snakes and other creatures...

Speaking of which, if you could have an Australian native animal as a pet, what would you choose?
JG: A koala... no, a kangaroo! I saw one from a car once. I wish I could jump high like that.

Do you have a favorite piece of Aussie slang?
JG: You wouldn't be able to publish it on the website! So I'll say dunny (toilet). It's really rude but I love that word.

What do you miss about Slovakia?
JG: Our food - it's great, you should try it! It's very fattening though; I don't think our fitness trainers would be very happy about it. And of course I miss my parents (who are both engineers) and my brother Jan (a former pro skier). I've taken Sam to meet them though.

What do you consider your best assets as a player?
JG: Normally my serve, although I didn’t serve that well against Azarenka today. And I've had a good backhand since I was a kid. But slowly my forehand is coming better. It's hard to say though... things change over time; you improve in one area and try to keep mixing things up.

If you could acquire a shot from another player, what would you choose?
JG: I'd take the second serve of my fiancé, it's an awesome kicker. And I'd like Dominika Cibulkova's footwork - she's really fast.

What has been your best Tour win to date?
JG: In terms of rankings and experience, I would have to say Katarina Srebotnik, and I beat Ai Sugiyama in Sydney last year.

You have just given a Top 15 player a very tough work-out; does that kind of match make you reassess your goals, think maybe you should revise your expectations?
JG: Not really. If I'd won that match I would have got 70 points and maybe moved up 10 places in the rankings, but there's not really that much difference between being No. 90 or 80. It's when you're up where Victoria is that 10 places makes a big difference.

If I am able to keep practicing I will keep improving and one day I'll get where she is, if I'm lucky. For the past two years I was injured a lot, I'd practice for a week and want to play a tournament and then something would happen. It was really on and off. So I really just want to stay healthy and keep playing week to week and get more matches, and see where it takes me.

Your coach has adopted an interesting training technique...
JG: Yes - if I hit drop shots during a match my coach (Chris Johnston) makes me do sit-ups afterwards as 'punishment'... 50 sit-ups for each one. Since I was a kid it was my favorite shot to hit, but I would do it at inappropriate times like second serve returns on match point down. So when he saw me do it the first time he said, 'Nup, you've gotta do sit-ups for that'. He makes me do it even if I win the point so now my first reaction when I hit a drop shot is to say sorry! But he's actually really nice. At least he doesn't make me do it for double faults.

If you could play a player from the past, who would you choose?
JG: Monica Seles. She was really good when I was growing up, and I liked the way she played. Even though I couldn't hit a double-handed forehand, when I started as a kid I imagined that that was the style of play I would like to try to play.

Do you have a favorite tournament?
JG: I used to love playing the Gold Coast event. And of course, the Australian Open - anything at home, really.

Tell us about your wedding plans.
JG: We're getting married in Albury (a town on the border of New South Wales and Victoria), where Sam is from. He's a country boy. My parents can't come because they are scared of flying, but they said they will make us a second wedding in Europe some time around Wimbledon.
steph' is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2009, 10:16 AM   #12
country flag Mr.Kardashian

Mr.Kardashian has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Kardashian has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Kardashian has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Kardashian has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Kardashian has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Kardashian has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Kardashian has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Kardashian has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Kardashian has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Kardashian has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Kardashian has a reputation beyond repute

awww great interview - i reeally really like her won 29/ last 33 matches! impressive
Mr.Kardashian is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2009, 09:46 PM   #13
country flag OZTENNIS

OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for posting, Jarks is so down to earth and friendly
Old Jan 12th, 2009, 04:11 PM   #14
country flag steph'

steph' is a name known to all steph' is a name known to all steph' is a name known to all steph' is a name known to all steph' is a name known to all steph' is a name known to all steph' is a name known to all steph' is a name known to all steph' is a name known to all steph' is a name known to all steph' is a name known to all

An Aussie in the making

Sydney,12 January 2009
AAP

Jarmila Gajdosova continues her fine form from Brisbane to Sydney.

Getty Images

One way or another Jarmila Gajdosova will officially play tennis for Australia - of that she is convinced.

The 21-year-old eased into the second round of the Sydney International on Monday with a 6-4 6-2 win over Italian Karin Knapp.

But she did so under the flag of Slovakia, at least according to the WTA, who fall in line with government policy in not recognising her as an Australian until she has citizenship and a local passport.

In what has been a protracted affair, Gajdosova was granted residency shortly after arriving from Bratislava as a 16-year-old but complications arising from not spending enough time in Australia has meant she is still awaiting citizenship.

"It's going to happen anyway, so it's just a matter of time - sooner or later," she said on Tuesday.

"Hopefully it is going to be sooner so I can have an AUS behind my name which (I've been) trying to do for the last couple of years."

Expected to aid her cause for citizenship is her relationship with Australian professional Sam Groth.

Groth - who received a wildcard into the Australian Open main draw on Monday - and Gajdosova are to be married next month.

"Of course it will help - that's why I am saying I will get it sooner or later," Gajdosova said.

"But still it is like in the (United) States where people get married for the green card so they changed the law as well here so people don't just do it for the sake of getting the papers."

In a quirk the world No.98 gets to play in grand slams as an Australian because the majors operate under a different set of guidelines to the regular WTA tournaments.

"I will be Australian next week. Four times a year I'm Australian. I'm very proud about it too," she said.

Gajdosova received a lucky break on Monday when scheduled opponent, world No.14 Victoria Azarenka, withdrew due to a virus.

She was replaced by lucky loser Knapp.

Azarenka had defeated Gajdosova in a second round clash last week en route to claiming the Brisbane International title.

Gajdosova will play world No.4 Elena Dementieva in the second round.
steph' is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13th, 2009, 07:23 AM   #15
country flag FanHochZwei

FanHochZwei is a splendid one to behold FanHochZwei is a splendid one to behold FanHochZwei is a splendid one to behold FanHochZwei is a splendid one to behold FanHochZwei is a splendid one to behold FanHochZwei is a splendid one to behold FanHochZwei is a splendid one to behold FanHochZwei is a splendid one to behold FanHochZwei is a splendid one to behold FanHochZwei is a splendid one to behold FanHochZwei is a splendid one to behold
Press conf. in Sydney

http://www.medibankinternational.com.au/audio-video - Jarka talks about her 2nd round loss to Dementieva
FanHochZwei is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote