A more basic question - what's wrong with taking drugs? - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Aug 1st, 2006, 09:44 PM   #1
country flag abayen

abayen is a name known to all abayen is a name known to all abayen is a name known to all abayen is a name known to all abayen is a name known to all abayen is a name known to all abayen is a name known to all abayen is a name known to all abayen is a name known to all abayen is a name known to all abayen is a name known to all
A more basic question - what's wrong with taking drugs?

Why do you guys think doping is bad?
Harm to their own body?
Unfair?
Bad role models?

Please think carefully and answer.
abayen is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Aug 1st, 2006, 09:50 PM   #2
country flag Uranus

Uranus has a reputation beyond repute Uranus has a reputation beyond repute Uranus has a reputation beyond repute Uranus has a reputation beyond repute Uranus has a reputation beyond repute Uranus has a reputation beyond repute Uranus has a reputation beyond repute Uranus has a reputation beyond repute Uranus has a reputation beyond repute Uranus has a reputation beyond repute Uranus has a reputation beyond repute
Uranus is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1st, 2006, 09:58 PM   #3
country flag LH2HBH

LH2HBH has a reputation beyond repute LH2HBH has a reputation beyond repute LH2HBH has a reputation beyond repute LH2HBH has a reputation beyond repute LH2HBH has a reputation beyond repute LH2HBH has a reputation beyond repute LH2HBH has a reputation beyond repute LH2HBH has a reputation beyond repute LH2HBH has a reputation beyond repute LH2HBH has a reputation beyond repute LH2HBH has a reputation beyond repute
I like that you're thinking outside the box but here's what i think.

Sport is supposed to be a challenge of mind and body. Who's the best? Who can beat who? Who's shot's are amazing and who has the fastest serve and is the quickest around the court? We need to know as sport fans that this is the person doing it not the drug.

In short, how would we know who is the best or simply who has the best drugs?

I believe it goes against everything that sport stands for.
Old Aug 1st, 2006, 10:23 PM   #4
country flag abayen

abayen is a name known to all abayen is a name known to all abayen is a name known to all abayen is a name known to all abayen is a name known to all abayen is a name known to all abayen is a name known to all abayen is a name known to all abayen is a name known to all abayen is a name known to all abayen is a name known to all
You can't excel in a sport just by taking the best drugs. You still have to train exceptionally hard. Drugs is merely acting as a supplement here. It's almost akin to having a great diet, which per se, is not going to lead to exceptional performance.

So while I am sympathetic to your argument, I am not entirely convinced by it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguydsl

Sport is supposed to be a challenge of mind and body. Who's the best? Who can beat who? Who's shot's are amazing and who has the fastest serve and is the quickest around the court? We need to know as sport fans that this is the person doing it not the drug.

In short, how would we know who is the best or simply who has the best drugs?

I believe it goes against everything that sport stands for.
Old Aug 1st, 2006, 10:26 PM   #5
country flag njtennis11

njtennis11 is a splendid one to behold njtennis11 is a splendid one to behold njtennis11 is a splendid one to behold njtennis11 is a splendid one to behold njtennis11 is a splendid one to behold njtennis11 is a splendid one to behold njtennis11 is a splendid one to behold njtennis11 is a splendid one to behold njtennis11 is a splendid one to behold njtennis11 is a splendid one to behold njtennis11 is a splendid one to behold
The problem with is it that you are cheating, its a rule and you're disobeying it. By taking drugs you aren't improving on your own, you are using an illegal aide to help you. There's no reason anyone should or has to take any illegal substance when they can rechieve similar if not the same results naturally.
njtennis11 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1st, 2006, 10:30 PM   #6
country flag PLP

PLP has a reputation beyond repute PLP has a reputation beyond repute PLP has a reputation beyond repute PLP has a reputation beyond repute PLP has a reputation beyond repute PLP has a reputation beyond repute PLP has a reputation beyond repute PLP has a reputation beyond repute PLP has a reputation beyond repute PLP has a reputation beyond repute PLP has a reputation beyond repute
Intersting question really...There is the moral question, and of course it is cheating because you are not at a level playing fied with the players that are drug free...but genetics plays a huge role too. I hink the biggest problem is the cheating aspect, but there are many drugs that these athletes can't take like psuedophedrine (SP? sorry!) that I think they should be able to take, the whole thing is a bit overboard IMHO>P
PLP is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1st, 2006, 10:30 PM   #7
liuxuan

liuxuan has a brilliant future liuxuan has a brilliant future liuxuan has a brilliant future liuxuan has a brilliant future liuxuan has a brilliant future liuxuan has a brilliant future liuxuan has a brilliant future liuxuan has a brilliant future liuxuan has a brilliant future liuxuan has a brilliant future liuxuan has a brilliant future
this is just the most rediculous thread i have ever come acros......EVER!!!!!!!!

omg, are you a fucking retard??? ii dunno why im even asking that question!!!

taking performance enhancing drugs is obviously wqrong. sure, players still need to train hard, but they are getting illegal assistance and unfair advantage over their opponent. sport is supposed to be whose can pull the most out of their body and perform to the highest level... on a LEVEL playing field! someone who has taken drugs to enhance their muscle mass or stamina or whatever is clearly not on a level playing field to someone who has not taken any drugs.

its like giving someone a head start in a race, i know thats a really simple way of putting it, but its true! the thought of watching an unfair conmtest out there because one of the players i admire and respect has cheated by taking drugs just disgusts me!

steroids and performance enhancing drgs are for LOSERS!

having said that, if your not a tennis player but a yoiung party monster like myself, a few XTC while your out clubbing at the weekend is a kick up the ass that is most welcome!
liuxuan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1st, 2006, 10:31 PM   #8
country flag abayen

Fair point. But then a lot of rules are arbitrary and eventually go away.
For example, as per rules, some of the modern rackets couldn't be used in tennis in the old days. It, eventually didn't make a lot of sense to continue with this rule. So the rule disappeared.

Would taking illegal substance follow a similar path?

Quote:
Originally Posted by njtennis11
The problem with is it that you are cheating, its a rule and you're disobeying it. By taking drugs you aren't improving on your own, you are using an illegal aide to help you. There's no reason anyone should or has to take any illegal substance when they can rechieve similar if not the same results naturally.
Old Aug 1st, 2006, 10:33 PM   #9
franny

franny has a reputation beyond repute franny has a reputation beyond repute franny has a reputation beyond repute franny has a reputation beyond repute franny has a reputation beyond repute franny has a reputation beyond repute franny has a reputation beyond repute franny has a reputation beyond repute franny has a reputation beyond repute franny has a reputation beyond repute franny has a reputation beyond repute
Why is using a drug like steroids bad? When you get to a certain level of professional sports, the argument that "You can't excel in a sport just by taking the best drugs" just does not hold true anymore. Truth is, everyone near the top trains so hard and are so good at what they do that something such as drugs can make the biggest difference in who wins a slam, who can last longer in a match, who becomes stronger. True, one that takes drugs must still work hard, but someone else who works just as hard and is not taking the drugs, will be less successful. So then bids the next question, why should something like affording the better coach be legal and buying the more effective drugs(steroids) not? Well, it's because drugs such as steroids have a proven side effect to them. If we get to the point where all our top athletes are expected to use drugs, and that all aspiring athletes are encouraged to use drugs, then we simply lead the sporting community and all of society quite frankly into what can become a very serious health issue. It's just not worth it. It's better to take away extraneous drugs that have such harmful effects as steroids and make it illegal and expect athletes to simply train on their own, with their own bodies, and with LEGAL supplements than to allow harmful supplements and allow that to be the dividen between a world number 1 and a world number 2.
no i am not talking about a racket or a squirrel, i am talking about the former and future number 1..............
martina hingis!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good Luck Justine Henin Hardenne, Venus Williams, Maria Sharapova, Mary Pierce, and any of my other favorites that I might have forgotten about at this moment.
franny is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1st, 2006, 10:34 PM   #10
country flag abayen

Not sure I understood your genetics point. As for a level playing field, why not just allow everyone? Then whoever has means, access and desire to drugs can take it.

If you are talking about level playing field in terms of not everyone can afford drugs, then that applies to a lot of things such as not every sportsperson can afford the same quality of training, nutrition, equipment...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLP
Intersting question really...There is the moral question, and of course it is cheating because you are not at a level playing fied with the players that are drug free...but genetics plays a huge role too. I hink the biggest problem is the cheating aspect, but there are many drugs that these athletes can't take like psuedophedrine (SP? sorry!) that I think they should be able to take, the whole thing is a bit overboard IMHO>P
Old Aug 1st, 2006, 10:36 PM   #11
country flag abayen

Surely you dont deserve an answer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by liuxuan
this is just the most rediculous thread i have ever come acros......EVER!!!!!!!!

omg, are you a fucking retard??? ii dunno why im even asking that question!!!

taking performance enhancing drugs is obviously wqrong. sure, players still need to train hard, but they are getting illegal assistance and unfair advantage over their opponent. sport is supposed to be whose can pull the most out of their body and perform to the highest level... on a LEVEL playing field! someone who has taken drugs to enhance their muscle mass or stamina or whatever is clearly not on a level playing field to someone who has not taken any drugs.

its like giving someone a head start in a race, i know thats a really simple way of putting it, but its true! the thought of watching an unfair conmtest out there because one of the players i admire and respect has cheated by taking drugs just disgusts me!

steroids and performance enhancing drgs are for LOSERS!

having said that, if your not a tennis player but a yoiung party monster like myself, a few XTC while your out clubbing at the weekend is a kick up the ass that is most welcome!
Old Aug 1st, 2006, 10:37 PM   #12
country flag fufuqifuqishahah

fufuqifuqishahah has a reputation beyond repute fufuqifuqishahah has a reputation beyond repute fufuqifuqishahah has a reputation beyond repute fufuqifuqishahah has a reputation beyond repute fufuqifuqishahah has a reputation beyond repute fufuqifuqishahah has a reputation beyond repute fufuqifuqishahah has a reputation beyond repute fufuqifuqishahah has a reputation beyond repute fufuqifuqishahah has a reputation beyond repute fufuqifuqishahah has a reputation beyond repute fufuqifuqishahah has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguydsl

That's why they NEED to remove COACHING DURING MATCHES!!!!!!!!!!! ugh lol.

-----

but anyways.... these are my reasons AGAINST drug use in sports

1) they are unhealthy and can cause some major problems in players, possibly hurting their longevity and
2) it is unfair to players who can't afford drugs. True, the poor players can't afford other things that could potentially improve their performance on court (i.e. expensive coaches, hitting partners, personal assistants, super high quality food) , however, drugs tend to have a much more direct effect on performance rather than these other things.
3) bad role models like you said . These people are in the media and are idoloized by many. If everyone started doing drugs in professional sports, surely this will trickle down to the amateur level and the university and high school levels, etc. Sports are so ingrained in many cultures that even those who don't play sports will be more likely to take drugs because they'll start doubt the harmful effects of drugs. They'll think, "if athletes, who look really healthy, can take drugs and do outstanding athletic feats then I should be able to take drugs and still do my normal things in life"
4) it supports the illegal drug trade industry. if the drug trade industry were like most other industries like the music industry, real estate industry, whatever, where there doesn't exist much direct harm to people because the industry is not corrupt, clean, and not violent, then maybe this reason wouldn't be here. but the drug trade industry IS messy and corrupt and vile, and horrible.
5) using performance enhancing drugs could promote the use of other, non-performance enhancing drugs.... which of course, can be very dangerous.

Grand Slam [oJankyoEugeniusoAnaresoBarktraoRebelLio]
Come Baaaack [oShinoboooMarie!oNutcrackeroThe Original Russian Bombshello]
Wake Up! [oVeeoThe Slovak SpideroFrannyoSlam StephensoVaniaoJellyDee!o]

fufuqifuqishahah is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1st, 2006, 10:39 PM   #13
country flag hablo

hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute
1)Bad side effects later on in life, getting sicknesses, and also dying young/prematurily (for instance : "flo-jo").
These drugs are supposed to be taken to cure, heal certain sicknesses, not when you are healthy and fit in the first place
2) and it's CHEATING, not fair to the other competitors.

GO all Canuck players GO
hablo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1st, 2006, 10:40 PM   #14
country flag abayen

Is the health issue really that big? Experts from what I have read tend to suggest that risks are not that high. I mean the health risk from boxing is probably worse. How about the risk from skiing down a mountain? Risk from subjecting your body to inhuman training? Look at all the WTA athletes... They already have rather frail bodies? Should training be banned then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by franny
Why is using a drug like steroids bad? When you get to a certain level of professional sports, the argument that "You can't excel in a sport just by taking the best drugs" just does not hold true anymore. Truth is, everyone near the top trains so hard and are so good at what they do that something such as drugs can make the biggest difference in who wins a slam, who can last longer in a match, who becomes stronger. True, one that takes drugs must still work hard, but someone else who works just as hard and is not taking the drugs, will be less successful. So then bids the next question, why should something like affording the better coach be legal and buying the more effective drugs(steroids) not? Well, it's because drugs such as steroids have a proven side effect to them. If we get to the point where all our top athletes are expected to use drugs, and that all aspiring athletes are encouraged to use drugs, then we simply lead the sporting community and all of society quite frankly into what can become a very serious health issue. It's just not worth it. It's better to take away extraneous drugs that have such harmful effects as steroids and make it illegal and expect athletes to simply train on their own, with their own bodies, and with LEGAL supplements than to allow harmful supplements and allow that to be the dividen between a world number 1 and a world number 2.
Old Aug 1st, 2006, 10:43 PM   #15
country flag Winnie

Winnie is a glorious beacon of light Winnie is a glorious beacon of light Winnie is a glorious beacon of light Winnie is a glorious beacon of light Winnie is a glorious beacon of light Winnie is a glorious beacon of light Winnie is a glorious beacon of light Winnie is a glorious beacon of light Winnie is a glorious beacon of light Winnie is a glorious beacon of light Winnie is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by abayen
Is the health issue really that big? Experts from what I have read tend to suggest that risks are not that high. I mean the health risk from boxing is probably worse. How about the risk from skiing down a mountain? Risk from subjecting your body to inhuman training? Look at all the WTA athletes... They already have rather frail bodies? Should training be banned then?
So,good luck to your health...
Winnie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote