WTA Eliminating Tier IIs from Schedule --> Tier IIs To Become Tier I or Tier III - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jul 30th, 2006, 02:35 PM   #1
pierce0415

pierce0415 has a reputation beyond repute pierce0415 has a reputation beyond repute pierce0415 has a reputation beyond repute pierce0415 has a reputation beyond repute pierce0415 has a reputation beyond repute pierce0415 has a reputation beyond repute pierce0415 has a reputation beyond repute pierce0415 has a reputation beyond repute pierce0415 has a reputation beyond repute pierce0415 has a reputation beyond repute pierce0415 has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation WTA Eliminating Tier IIs from Schedule --> Tier IIs To Become Tier I or Tier III

The Acura Classic, a tennis fixture in San Diego since 1984, has sold its Tier I designation back to the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour and will more than likely see its last year of play in 2007, ******************** has learned.

Co-owners Raquel Giscafre and Jane Stratton had put the well-attended tournament at the La Costa Resort for sale and were apparently unable to find buyers. The tournament would have been forced to leave La Costa after 2007 anyway as the resort owners no longer desired to have the event there.
Giscafre and Stratton briefly looked into getting financing for a new stadium in San Diego, but we unsuccessful.

The WTA, which is reconfiguring its calendar for 2010, stepped in and bought the Tier I designation and will likely sell it to Cincinnati, which is looking to host a combined men’s and women’s tournament the same week that the women’s Canadian Open is now played.

The tour is looking to establish three “A-level” tournaments during the US Open Series, one that is almost sure to be Montreal, another that could be Cincinnati and another that could be Los Angeles or Stanford. The tour will opening up bidding on this new “A” designation, where the tournaments will be asked to provide at least $ 1 million in prize money in exchange for an increased player commitment from the tour’s stars. Currently, the Tier II tournaments at Stanford and Los Angeles offer around $600,000 in prize money.

At this point, any tournament that does not receive an "A" designation will be dropped to a “B” level, where they will only have to offer around $225,000 in prize money, but not be guaranteed any Top-10 players.
However, negotiations on the topics between the tour, the Slams, the ITF and the tournaments are still ongoing.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
This means the end of Tier I, Tier II, Tier III and Tier IV system as we know it

The WTA is copying ATP AGAIN and is attempting to create a "Masters Series" consisting of only "A" level events with prize money of 1 million or more. Then all other Tier II will be dropped to Tier III level with prize money of at most $225,000

so basically top players will (be required to) play at all the Tier A levels and then nobody will play the tournaments with prize money of $225,000
pierce0415 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jul 30th, 2006, 02:36 PM   #2
country flag MH0861

MH0861 has a reputation beyond repute MH0861 has a reputation beyond repute MH0861 has a reputation beyond repute MH0861 has a reputation beyond repute MH0861 has a reputation beyond repute MH0861 has a reputation beyond repute MH0861 has a reputation beyond repute MH0861 has a reputation beyond repute MH0861 has a reputation beyond repute MH0861 has a reputation beyond repute MH0861 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce0415
The Acura Classic, a tennis fixture in San Diego since 1984, has sold its Tier I designation back to the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour and will more than likely see its last year of play in 2007, ******************** has learned.

Co-owners Raquel Giscafre and Jane Stratton had put the well-attended tournament at the La Costa Resort for sale and were apparently unable to find buyers. The tournament would have been forced to leave La Costa after 2007 anyway as the resort owners no longer desired to have the event there.
Giscafre and Stratton briefly looked into getting financing for a new stadium in San Diego, but we unsuccessful.

The WTA, which is reconfiguring its calendar for 2010, stepped in and bought the Tier I designation and will likely sell it to Cincinnati, which is looking to host a combined men’s and women’s tournament the same week that the women’s Canadian Open is now played.

The tour is looking to establish three “A-level” tournaments during the US Open Series, one that is almost sure to be Montreal, another that could be Cincinnati and another that could be Los Angeles or Stanford. The tour will opening up bidding on this new “A” designation, where the tournaments will be asked to provide at least $ 1 million in prize money in exchange for an increased player commitment from the tour’s stars. Currently, the Tier II tournaments at Stanford and Los Angeles offer around $600,000 in prize money.

At this point, any tournament that does not receive an "A" designation will be dropped to a “B” level, where they will only have to offer around $225,000 in prize money, but not be guaranteed any Top-10 players.
However, negotiations on the topics between the tour, the Slams, the ITF and the tournaments are still ongoing.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
This means the end of Tier I, Tier II, Tier III and Tier IV system as we know it

The WTA is copying ATP AGAIN and is attempting to create a "Masters Series" consisting of only "A" level events with prize money of 1 million or more. Then all other Tier II will be dropped to Tier III level with prize money of at most $225,000

so basically top players will (be required to) play at all the Tier A levels and then nobody will play the tournaments with prize money of $225,000
I thought this was only for the US Open Series? And the WTA could learn a thing or five from the ATP... I say copy away!

Plus, if you read it carefully, it says the "B" tournaments will HAVE TO pay $225,000 in prize money... I believe that means they can provide more if they want.
MH0861 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30th, 2006, 02:38 PM   #3
pierce0415

pierce0415 has a reputation beyond repute pierce0415 has a reputation beyond repute pierce0415 has a reputation beyond repute pierce0415 has a reputation beyond repute pierce0415 has a reputation beyond repute pierce0415 has a reputation beyond repute pierce0415 has a reputation beyond repute pierce0415 has a reputation beyond repute pierce0415 has a reputation beyond repute pierce0415 has a reputation beyond repute pierce0415 has a reputation beyond repute
I am not sure if this is such a good idea ... Tier IIs in the WTA were always well attended by the top players despite the meager prize money

now the only way Level B tournaments with prize money of $225,000 or less will be able to get top players is with huge apperance fees
Old Jul 30th, 2006, 02:38 PM   #4
country flag IceHock

IceHock has a reputation beyond repute IceHock has a reputation beyond repute IceHock has a reputation beyond repute IceHock has a reputation beyond repute IceHock has a reputation beyond repute IceHock has a reputation beyond repute IceHock has a reputation beyond repute IceHock has a reputation beyond repute IceHock has a reputation beyond repute IceHock has a reputation beyond repute IceHock has a reputation beyond repute
I like the fact of them pushing tournaments uo,but pushing mostly all of them down??Your crazy larry scott.Keep on ruining tennis.
IceHock is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30th, 2006, 02:39 PM   #5
country flag MH0861

MH0861 has a reputation beyond repute MH0861 has a reputation beyond repute MH0861 has a reputation beyond repute MH0861 has a reputation beyond repute MH0861 has a reputation beyond repute MH0861 has a reputation beyond repute MH0861 has a reputation beyond repute MH0861 has a reputation beyond repute MH0861 has a reputation beyond repute MH0861 has a reputation beyond repute MH0861 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
I am not sure if this is such a good idea ... Tier IIs in the WTA were always well attended by the top players despite the meager prize money

now the only way Level B tournaments with prize money of $225,000 or less will be able to get top players is with huge apperance fees
I think this is just for the US Open Series!!! I think they will only be required to provide that much prize money but they can give more if they want.
Old Jul 30th, 2006, 02:41 PM   #6
pierce0415

Quote:
Originally Posted by MH0861
I thought this was only for the US Open Series? And the WTA could learn a thing or five from the ATP... I say copy away!

Plus, if you read it carefully, it says the "B" tournaments will HAVE TO pay $225,000 in prize money... I believe that means they can provide more if they want.
no it is for the whole year. The WTA is currently in the process of a major calendar overhaul
Old Jul 30th, 2006, 02:41 PM   #7
pierce0415

If it is only US OPEN Series, why would there be negotiations with all the Slams over this topic?
Old Jul 30th, 2006, 02:44 PM   #8
country flag MH0861

Quote:
If it is only US OPEN Series, why would there be negotiations with all the Slams over this topic?
Well, the article clearly states this is going to be implemented for the US Open Series -- they make no mention of doing this for all tournaments during the year (which may be the case, but it doesn't say so here). I would think if the status of a whole set of leadup tournaments were being changed, the slams (especially the US Open, of course), would have to be involved with the process.
Old Jul 30th, 2006, 04:36 PM   #9
country flag hurricanejeanne

hurricanejeanne has a reputation beyond repute hurricanejeanne has a reputation beyond repute hurricanejeanne has a reputation beyond repute hurricanejeanne has a reputation beyond repute hurricanejeanne has a reputation beyond repute hurricanejeanne has a reputation beyond repute hurricanejeanne has a reputation beyond repute hurricanejeanne has a reputation beyond repute hurricanejeanne has a reputation beyond repute hurricanejeanne has a reputation beyond repute hurricanejeanne has a reputation beyond repute
okay...
they want A level tournaments with 1 million dollars in prize money for increased player commitment from the top stars...
hasn't the tour realized that yeah you can get them to commit, but that is not going to stop them from pulling out last minute?

I have a big problem with tier 2s that have been around longer than some of the tour's players that are on the verge of demotion. the concept of the tier 2 is a top tournament that has a couple of big names in areas around the world that don't often get to see that kind of top tennis. I understand if San Diego cannot find a venue within that city to maintain its tournament, but the more I hear about this "Roadmap 2010" the more I don't like it.
I didn't like the whole getting rid of quality points, I hate the concept of on court coaching, and now this. there are dozens of tournaments that are tier 2s that are going to get axed over this because they can only have so many tier ones, and what about some of those tier 3 that produce the big names, like Bali now has an amazing field lined up for this year?
There are already 10 tier 1s, and 15 (if I counted right) tier 2s, so who gets the axe by 2010, because some of these tournaments are going to die after this...(and with my luck, it will be my favorite tournaments as usual...)
hurricanejeanne is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30th, 2006, 04:38 PM   #10
country flag ^bibi^
... as though I were in a snake pit...

^bibi^ has a reputation beyond repute ^bibi^ has a reputation beyond repute ^bibi^ has a reputation beyond repute ^bibi^ has a reputation beyond repute ^bibi^ has a reputation beyond repute ^bibi^ has a reputation beyond repute ^bibi^ has a reputation beyond repute ^bibi^ has a reputation beyond repute ^bibi^ has a reputation beyond repute ^bibi^ has a reputation beyond repute ^bibi^ has a reputation beyond repute
the good news is we're gonna have a A level tournament in belgium, replacing Antwerp and Hasselt

Current tournaments
Find the latest tournaments here

R.I.P. Elena Baltacha 1983-2014 †
^bibi^ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30th, 2006, 04:44 PM   #11
country flag 416_Man

416_Man has a reputation beyond repute 416_Man has a reputation beyond repute 416_Man has a reputation beyond repute 416_Man has a reputation beyond repute 416_Man has a reputation beyond repute 416_Man has a reputation beyond repute 416_Man has a reputation beyond repute 416_Man has a reputation beyond repute 416_Man has a reputation beyond repute 416_Man has a reputation beyond repute 416_Man has a reputation beyond repute
Love the idea. Tier IIs are the demise of the game, they steal from the Tier I's draws, and are rarely broadcast. I do think, like the ATP did, in that we need a "International Series GOLD", to seperate the Bs from the As.

I just wish the WTA was run by the ATP, then we'd actually see some success.
416_Man is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30th, 2006, 06:17 PM   #12
country flag Slumpsova

Slumpsova has a reputation beyond repute Slumpsova has a reputation beyond repute Slumpsova has a reputation beyond repute Slumpsova has a reputation beyond repute Slumpsova has a reputation beyond repute Slumpsova has a reputation beyond repute Slumpsova has a reputation beyond repute Slumpsova has a reputation beyond repute Slumpsova has a reputation beyond repute Slumpsova has a reputation beyond repute Slumpsova has a reputation beyond repute
imagine Justine Henin-Hardenne playing tier III
Slumpsova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30th, 2006, 10:33 PM   #13
country flag TomTennis

TomTennis has a reputation beyond repute TomTennis has a reputation beyond repute TomTennis has a reputation beyond repute TomTennis has a reputation beyond repute TomTennis has a reputation beyond repute TomTennis has a reputation beyond repute TomTennis has a reputation beyond repute TomTennis has a reputation beyond repute TomTennis has a reputation beyond repute TomTennis has a reputation beyond repute TomTennis has a reputation beyond repute
this wont solve a thing. Even if they changed the ENTIRE tournament calender into this system, it isnt going to solve the main problem....which is injuried.

This new idea could be all set up by next year, but the likes of Venus/Serena/Davenport/Sharapova and other BIG NAMES that are needed in womens tennis to attract the audiences can still pull out with injuries.

They need to compat that battle before starting with a whole different one. Changed a tier 1 to an "A" tournament isnt going to stop the big names gettin injured, which is stopping the WTA from living up to its full potential.
TomTennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30th, 2006, 10:46 PM   #14
country flag 416_Man

416_Man has a reputation beyond repute 416_Man has a reputation beyond repute 416_Man has a reputation beyond repute 416_Man has a reputation beyond repute 416_Man has a reputation beyond repute 416_Man has a reputation beyond repute 416_Man has a reputation beyond repute 416_Man has a reputation beyond repute 416_Man has a reputation beyond repute 416_Man has a reputation beyond repute 416_Man has a reputation beyond repute
I'm guessing that along with bringing it to an A v. B status they'd follow the other methods the ATP does to maintain top entries in the Masters Series. This includes, no points rewarded on a manadatory ranking event, inability to enter events afterwards that are not at an A level, an ATP official/doctor examining the injury, fines, etc. The only players that could even afford to avoid that are the Williams and Sharapova. Apart from that, not many could survive.
416_Man is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30th, 2006, 11:05 PM   #15
country flag fammmmedspin

fammmmedspin has a brilliant future fammmmedspin has a brilliant future fammmmedspin has a brilliant future fammmmedspin has a brilliant future fammmmedspin has a brilliant future fammmmedspin has a brilliant future fammmmedspin has a brilliant future fammmmedspin has a brilliant future fammmmedspin has a brilliant future fammmmedspin has a brilliant future fammmmedspin has a brilliant future
Given that several tier 2s are GS warm ups and others have been among the the most popular tournaments wheras several Tier 1s are treated like the plague this would need a complete rewrite of the tour and new sponsors that don't exist.Anyone who thinks Tier 3 Sydney will have a worse field than Tier 1 Tokyo is in cloud cuckoo land.

All it will do is encourage the players to ignore tiering and the current trend for players to play less, where they feel like it and not worry too much about their ranking as long as its within the top 10 or 20. Its probably just as well if it fails as the new tournaments needed to replace dying US and European ones will struggle to grow too if they can't get the money straight away to be a tier 1 and get no top palyers if they are not.

It doesn't actually deal with any problem as the lack of top US players remains undermining the US part of the tour and the lack of top 10 players is resolving itself as the ones that don't play much retire and the top 10 becomes indistinguishable from the top 15 anyway.
fammmmedspin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote