WTA Website Moan Thread - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Feb 26th, 2015, 06:03 AM   #1
country flag iGOAT

iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute
WTA Website Moan Thread

I feel like this pathetic website has enough issues that we may as well dedicate a thread to it instead of creating new ones every time .

I'm starting this one because their link to the DOHA draw is instead showing a sheet for a 25K in Campinas, Brazil : http://www.wtatennis.com/SEWTATour-A...5/1003/MDS.pdf

How is it so impossible for them to get their shit together and focus on user friendliness and functionality instead of advertising a Canadian bagel and Sugarpova?

ATP: Novak Djoković

Crazy Frenches! Gilles Simon Alizé Cornet
iGOAT is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Feb 26th, 2015, 06:45 AM   #2
country flag Marlene

Marlene has a reputation beyond repute Marlene has a reputation beyond repute Marlene has a reputation beyond repute Marlene has a reputation beyond repute Marlene has a reputation beyond repute Marlene has a reputation beyond repute Marlene has a reputation beyond repute Marlene has a reputation beyond repute Marlene has a reputation beyond repute Marlene has a reputation beyond repute Marlene has a reputation beyond repute
Re: WTA Website Moan Thread

It's so bad it's an embarrassment.
Marlene is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26th, 2015, 06:47 AM   #3
country flag Wiggly

Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute

The worse parts are the tournaments' pages.
Stacey always talk about "going digital" and yet the WTA has the worst website in the industry.

They really struggle with the non-PDF OOP. It's always days behind.
Wiggly is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26th, 2015, 07:07 AM   #4
country flag Honitsu
TOXIC VIBRATION

Honitsu has a reputation beyond repute Honitsu has a reputation beyond repute Honitsu has a reputation beyond repute Honitsu has a reputation beyond repute Honitsu has a reputation beyond repute Honitsu has a reputation beyond repute Honitsu has a reputation beyond repute Honitsu has a reputation beyond repute Honitsu has a reputation beyond repute Honitsu has a reputation beyond repute Honitsu has a reputation beyond repute

I am so pissed they took off the H2H data before year 2000. The number was kept but the tournaments and scores were gone.
Oh wait they got them back

And - how inefficient is the website for H2H searching?
Singles (CHR#17) - Copenhagen 10 ; Beijing 11 ; Pattaya 12
Doubles (CHR#10) - Cincinnati 09 (w/Drake1980) ; Auckland+Copenhagen 10 (w/Richie's) ; Palermo 11 (w/Richie's) ; Stuttgart+Baku 12 (w/Richie's) ; Palermo 13 (w/Richie's) ; Monterrey 14 (w/Adrian.) USO 14 (w/Frederik)

Honitsu is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26th, 2015, 07:27 AM   #5
country flag Marlene

Marlene has a reputation beyond repute Marlene has a reputation beyond repute Marlene has a reputation beyond repute Marlene has a reputation beyond repute Marlene has a reputation beyond repute Marlene has a reputation beyond repute Marlene has a reputation beyond repute Marlene has a reputation beyond repute Marlene has a reputation beyond repute Marlene has a reputation beyond repute Marlene has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honitsu View Post
And - how inefficient is the website for H2H searching?
They have ~25k players in the system so that's ~625 billion combinations. They could do with some faster servers, but H2H searching is probably still going to slag for a sec or so.
Marlene is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26th, 2015, 07:52 AM   #6
country flag iGOAT

iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute
It's not the speed its that there's no actual page where you can put in head-to-head. You have to instead look up a player and go to her profile and then "compare" her with someone else, which is super annoying. And you have to wait for the other player to show up in their database before you can search, which is a disaster with a slow connection. I guess that latter issue is related to speed but the former is just terrible site construction planning.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App

Old Feb 26th, 2015, 07:54 AM   #7
country flag iGOAT

WTA Website Moan Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggly View Post
The worse parts are the tournaments' pages.
Stacey always talk about "going digital" and yet the WTA has the worst website in the industry.

They really struggle with the non-PDF OOP. It's always days behind.

The PDF ones are often behind too, as are daily draws and they usually post the actual tournament's draw upon release VERY behind schedule. Before they often forgot to add the link to the site but people on TF knew what it would be so we could see it before they'd posted, but now it just shows that awful "tournament information not yet released" page that usually lasts well past the time it has been. The whole thing is such a joke .

And dont even get me started on the mobile version :mad..

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App

Old Feb 26th, 2015, 08:57 AM   #8
country flag GoDominique

GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute

The "Active tournaments" feature is also not quite up to date.
GoDominique is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26th, 2015, 10:26 AM   #9
country flag Lisickinator

Lisickinator has a brilliant future Lisickinator has a brilliant future Lisickinator has a brilliant future Lisickinator has a brilliant future Lisickinator has a brilliant future Lisickinator has a brilliant future Lisickinator has a brilliant future Lisickinator has a brilliant future Lisickinator has a brilliant future Lisickinator has a brilliant future Lisickinator has a brilliant future

• Rankings breakdown is useless
  • Player stats (match facts) only available for the current season
Old Feb 26th, 2015, 10:41 AM   #10
country flag The Witch-king

The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute

The mobile site is better than it used to be. Back in the day if you opened a link from another website to a specific page on a phone it would open the main page every time. That was really annoying as it was also difficult to search for the content you wanted. I see that they've fixed that.

I don't like the list news articles where you have to click next to see what is next on the list. Would it kill them to post everything that's on a list on one page? If I see that they've posted one of those I don't bother past the first page.

I wish they'd have player stats (aces, double faults etc) for more than just the current year.
Old Feb 26th, 2015, 10:43 AM   #11
country flag crazillo

crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute

Besides all the technical issues, the advertisement of certain players is just over the top. A birthday article for Bouchard but not for anyone else except possibly Serena and Sharapova? Ignoring great stories like Kimiko Date-Krumm while just focusing on Asian players in a newcomer YEC format that are not likely to ever make it there in the normal tournament? Wow.
"There is a saying that there is no friendship in tennis, but I've proven the opposite. After all of them are here, it means that there is friendship and I want to thank them for being here tonight. I hope the fans are happy too."

My blog about my semester spent in China (bilingual in both German and English):
http://crazillo.jimdo.com! Please feel free to make comments!!
crazillo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26th, 2015, 11:48 AM   #12
country flag Spiritof42

Spiritof42 has a reputation beyond repute Spiritof42 has a reputation beyond repute Spiritof42 has a reputation beyond repute Spiritof42 has a reputation beyond repute Spiritof42 has a reputation beyond repute Spiritof42 has a reputation beyond repute Spiritof42 has a reputation beyond repute Spiritof42 has a reputation beyond repute Spiritof42 has a reputation beyond repute Spiritof42 has a reputation beyond repute Spiritof42 has a reputation beyond repute

Links to the official Doha website lead to last year's version instead of the current one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoDominique View Post
The "Active tournaments" feature is also not quite up to date.
... and the latest "WTA Tournament news" on that page are from February 15.
Old Feb 26th, 2015, 12:37 PM   #13
tennnisfannn

tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlene View Post
They have ~25k players in the system so that's ~625 billion combinations. They could do with some faster servers, but H2H searching is probably still going to slag for a sec or so.
The atp one is so much better. The h2h is great. During the AO, i was successful in checking the h2h one in about 6-8 times.
Old Feb 26th, 2015, 01:03 PM   #14
country flag Cp6uja

Cp6uja has a reputation beyond repute Cp6uja has a reputation beyond repute Cp6uja has a reputation beyond repute Cp6uja has a reputation beyond repute Cp6uja has a reputation beyond repute Cp6uja has a reputation beyond repute Cp6uja has a reputation beyond repute Cp6uja has a reputation beyond repute Cp6uja has a reputation beyond repute Cp6uja has a reputation beyond repute Cp6uja has a reputation beyond repute

Time after time (about once in 30 cases) when You trying to get some h2h stats their page is simple blocked, and theirs server trying to send You some message, but without success. Today when it is happen once again to me, at least I finally debug message which they trying to send to my computer all this years when same this problem is appear, and I realize that this bug is more serious than I though, because message actually don't have any connection with theirs h2h stats option:

Thank You for voting!
Your vote for Agnieszka Radwanska as WTA Fan Favorite of the Year is registered.

AMAZING BELGRADE MIRACLE: In just three years (2008-2011) 5 different players born in same city reach world #1 in rankings and several GS titles and finals (WTA singles: Ana Ivanovic and Jelena Jankovic, ATP singles: Novak Djokovic, ATP doubles: Nenad Zimonjic and Daniel Nestor... with notable performances of Bojana Jovanovski, Janko Tipsarevic and Viktor Troicki which is also all three born in Belgrade)
Cp6uja is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26th, 2015, 02:27 PM   #15
Volcana

Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute

The WTA, by now, is probably aware of the existence of this forum. Therefore, it is likely someone will see this thread, and maybe even read it. Which brings up a couple points.

a) In any corporate environment, bringing solutions id reacted to more favorably than just bringing problems. (Suggestions for new things falls somewhere in the middle.) If ALL we do is bitch, they won't listen.

b) The WTA does not have full control over the information on it's website. It's bound both by fact, and contactually. For example, they can't post a PDF from a tournament til the tournament sends them the PDF.

c) We're not typical fans. The site isn't designed to primarily serve us.

What we can do

1) Work with the WTA. If a link is going to the wrong place, THEY need to know. It should be possible to establish a site, or an email drop, specifically for site bugs. I'll email them and see what they're willing to set up.

There's a piece of freeware called BugZilla that's specifically for tracking software bugs. If we can get them to install it, we can be the team that tracks down bugs and notifies them in a centralized location.

2) The H2H search. I don't like it either, but how SHOULD it work? Bearing in mind that WE can spell the names of these players from all over the world, but most fans don't have that level of familiarity. If we can come up with a better idea, I can translate it into techno-speak, and send them a cost estimate. Depending on their data-entry system, maybe a parallel db that only tracks the top 300?

3) Suggest articles for their site. Even better, write them. I'm sure the agencies pay to have articles posted, but I doubt it's an exclusive arrangement. If we give them material up to journalistic par, hey will at least consider using it.

4) If you really have an idea for the site, post it. I'm sure I'm not the only web developer who posts here. If we can sketch out a workable, techinically feasible proposal, I'd be more than happy to work on proof-of-concept, so we can lobby for real changes to the site.

Last edited by Volcana : Yesterday at 04:46 AM.
Volcana is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote