"All About Eve" versus "Sunset Boulevard": Which is better? - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Which is better?

All About Eve 10 58.82%
Sunset Boulevard 7 41.18%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jul 20th, 2006, 05:55 AM   #1
country flag Robbie.

Robbie. has a brilliant future Robbie. has a brilliant future Robbie. has a brilliant future Robbie. has a brilliant future Robbie. has a brilliant future Robbie. has a brilliant future Robbie. has a brilliant future Robbie. has a brilliant future Robbie. has a brilliant future Robbie. has a brilliant future Robbie. has a brilliant future
"All About Eve" versus "Sunset Boulevard": Which is better?

Here's a curly one for those fans of vintage cinema (and I know there are a few about on here).

What a year 1950 was! To have both "All About Eve" and "Sunset Boulevard", two all time classics, made in the same year. They will forever be paired together in history. "All About Eve" walked away with the Oscar, but history and popular conciousness, has probably given the nod to "Sunset Boulevard". In the AFI's top 100 movies of the all time, All About Eve ranked #16, Sunset Boulevard #12. Personally I have them even higher - easily among my top 5 greatest pictures of all time. The screenplays are impeccable, the performances measured to perfection and the themes which overlap - just what people will do to get ahead - are still relevant to today.

But which was better?

For me, it has to be All About Eve. In my view, it simply is a more enjoyable film to watch. Even on the umpteenth play, Sunset Boulevard can still give me the creeps (and to a certain extent this is a measure of it's greatness). Even when Eve Harrington wreaks her havoc, you get the sense there is light at the end of the tunnel - and I need that in a film. Where Sunset Boulevard's dialogue is sharp, All About Eve's is sharper, wittier - probably the greatest screen play of all time. But All About Eve's trump card is probably Margo Channing, and Davis' fiery depiction of her. For me, Channing is simply the greatest movie character there has ever been. However memorable Swanson and Desmond are, Davis and Channing are better.
Robbie. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jul 20th, 2006, 08:47 AM   #2
country flag Talula

Talula has a reputation beyond repute Talula has a reputation beyond repute Talula has a reputation beyond repute Talula has a reputation beyond repute Talula has a reputation beyond repute Talula has a reputation beyond repute Talula has a reputation beyond repute Talula has a reputation beyond repute Talula has a reputation beyond repute Talula has a reputation beyond repute Talula has a reputation beyond repute
I find Sunset a bit slow to be honset, and only really grabs my attention when Gloria pops up - and it's not as often as I'd like. The scenes without Norma and max drag. But the scenes WITH Norma, and with Max are sensational. I also think that it looks very worn now - might just be the print TCM uses, but it needs a spruce up.

Eve has stood the test of time better, is much more enjoyable, great one liners, fuller, more characters which have been fleshed out and hold the attention. A fantastic supporting cast. Plus I think it has more pace. Plus Bette Davis is beyond compare in my view. I love All About Eve and would never want to see a re-make. But I thought the musical version of Sunset was great and much better than the film, and look forward to it being filmed with the rumoured Glenn Close in the role of Norma.
Talula is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20th, 2006, 09:45 PM   #3
country flag Jakeev

Jakeev has a reputation beyond repute Jakeev has a reputation beyond repute Jakeev has a reputation beyond repute Jakeev has a reputation beyond repute Jakeev has a reputation beyond repute Jakeev has a reputation beyond repute Jakeev has a reputation beyond repute Jakeev has a reputation beyond repute Jakeev has a reputation beyond repute Jakeev has a reputation beyond repute Jakeev has a reputation beyond repute
All About Eve hands down. But it was great to see Gloria Swanson have one last great role in her career.

If anything, Sunset Boulevard made Gloria more immortal with countless parodies and of course, that great musical of the 90s.
Jakeev is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21st, 2006, 12:20 AM   #4
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
All About Eve hands down. But it was great to see Gloria Swanson have one last great role in her career.

If anything, Sunset Boulevard made Gloria more immortal with countless parodies and of course, that great musical of the 90s.
Eve gets my vote too Jakeev. Who can top lines like "Fasten your seat belts, it's going to be bumpy ride!" A cameo by Marilyn Monroe doesn't hurt.

Speaking of Sunset parodies, here's Carol Burnett (bottom left) doing hers. It's a laugh riot when she screams out "Max! MAX! Maaaa-ax!"

Rollo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21st, 2006, 02:08 AM   #5
country flag bionic71
Worshipping POP ICON GODDESSES

bionic71 has a reputation beyond repute bionic71 has a reputation beyond repute bionic71 has a reputation beyond repute bionic71 has a reputation beyond repute bionic71 has a reputation beyond repute bionic71 has a reputation beyond repute bionic71 has a reputation beyond repute bionic71 has a reputation beyond repute bionic71 has a reputation beyond repute bionic71 has a reputation beyond repute bionic71 has a reputation beyond repute
Eve.
Old Jul 21st, 2006, 02:41 AM   #6
country flag CrossCourt~Rally

CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute
Talking

ALL ABOUT EVE !! I just bought the special edition dvd
CrossCourt~Rally is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21st, 2006, 02:01 PM   #7
country flag Helen Lawson

Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute
That's a VERY tough call! Wow, two greats that I just love to watch. I watch Sunset more often, but between the two, I go with All About Eve. There's not a dull moment in either film, but there's a certain isolated quality to Sunset Boulevard in that really, it's 3 characters at Norma's palace. All About Eve has a bigger cast with so many great, intersting characters, everyone is at the top of their game in that move, like a little more energy and as great as the dialog is in Sunset Boulevard, All About Eve's better.
Old Jul 21st, 2006, 02:49 PM   #8
country flag Gonzo Hates Me!

Gonzo Hates Me! has a reputation beyond repute Gonzo Hates Me! has a reputation beyond repute Gonzo Hates Me! has a reputation beyond repute Gonzo Hates Me! has a reputation beyond repute Gonzo Hates Me! has a reputation beyond repute Gonzo Hates Me! has a reputation beyond repute Gonzo Hates Me! has a reputation beyond repute Gonzo Hates Me! has a reputation beyond repute Gonzo Hates Me! has a reputation beyond repute Gonzo Hates Me! has a reputation beyond repute Gonzo Hates Me! has a reputation beyond repute
When I was like, 15, I got All About Eve as a Christmas present from one of my friends in high school. That's how much I love love love that movie. I put it on my wishlist, and she was like, what the hell is this?. But she found it for me anyway. I was so happy. I love that movie. Sunset doesn't compare IMO. And so many movies try and copy AAE's plot and appeal but nothing ever comes close.
Old Jul 21st, 2006, 07:38 PM   #9
country flag Barrie_Dude

Barrie_Dude has a reputation beyond repute Barrie_Dude has a reputation beyond repute Barrie_Dude has a reputation beyond repute Barrie_Dude has a reputation beyond repute Barrie_Dude has a reputation beyond repute Barrie_Dude has a reputation beyond repute Barrie_Dude has a reputation beyond repute Barrie_Dude has a reputation beyond repute Barrie_Dude has a reputation beyond repute Barrie_Dude has a reputation beyond repute Barrie_Dude has a reputation beyond repute
Sorry! I love both films, but I have to go with Sunset here!I find it campy and I think it's great parody about the aging silent screen star eagerly awaiting the return of silent film to reclaim her stardom! At least I see the parody of all the great silent screen stars that never made the transition to talkies! It really makes a statement and deals with a part of Hollywood lore/history! I find it fascinating!

All About Eve is best remembered for the over the top performances of two of Hollywoods greatest leading ladies! It is a wonderful film that one is likely not to see again!
Old Jul 21st, 2006, 08:53 PM   #10
country flag Denise4925
Her Grace, The Duchess of Williamsburg

Denise4925 has a reputation beyond repute Denise4925 has a reputation beyond repute Denise4925 has a reputation beyond repute Denise4925 has a reputation beyond repute Denise4925 has a reputation beyond repute Denise4925 has a reputation beyond repute Denise4925 has a reputation beyond repute Denise4925 has a reputation beyond repute Denise4925 has a reputation beyond repute Denise4925 has a reputation beyond repute Denise4925 has a reputation beyond repute
I love both films but I gotta go with All About Eve. I'm a big Bette Davis fan.
Denise4925 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23rd, 2006, 12:57 AM   #11
country flag Robbie.

Robbie. has a brilliant future Robbie. has a brilliant future Robbie. has a brilliant future Robbie. has a brilliant future Robbie. has a brilliant future Robbie. has a brilliant future Robbie. has a brilliant future Robbie. has a brilliant future Robbie. has a brilliant future Robbie. has a brilliant future Robbie. has a brilliant future
Glad to see all the support for Eve
Old Jul 23rd, 2006, 01:18 AM   #12
country flag Pheobo

Pheobo has a reputation beyond repute Pheobo has a reputation beyond repute Pheobo has a reputation beyond repute Pheobo has a reputation beyond repute Pheobo has a reputation beyond repute Pheobo has a reputation beyond repute Pheobo has a reputation beyond repute Pheobo has a reputation beyond repute Pheobo has a reputation beyond repute Pheobo has a reputation beyond repute Pheobo has a reputation beyond repute
I thought we were talking about "Sunset Strip" off the shit that is Courtney Love's solo album

:clove:
Pheobo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23rd, 2006, 01:45 AM   #13
country flag IcePrincess

IcePrincess is a name known to all IcePrincess is a name known to all IcePrincess is a name known to all IcePrincess is a name known to all IcePrincess is a name known to all IcePrincess is a name known to all IcePrincess is a name known to all IcePrincess is a name known to all IcePrincess is a name known to all IcePrincess is a name known to all IcePrincess is a name known to all
I voted for "All About Eve". The screenplay is incredible and the acting is delicious. Bette Davis and Anne Baxter were brilliant.

However, Gloria Swanson was just as brilliant in "Sunset Boulevard".

Ironically all 3 leading ladies were nominated for the Best Actress Oscar. And all three LOST.

I think Oscar made a mistake that year. Judy Holliday's performance in "Born Yesterday" was cute, but the above 3 performances are legendary in Hollywood.

IcePrincess is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23rd, 2006, 02:02 AM   #14
country flag jd4eva

jd4eva has a brilliant future jd4eva has a brilliant future jd4eva has a brilliant future jd4eva has a brilliant future jd4eva has a brilliant future jd4eva has a brilliant future jd4eva has a brilliant future jd4eva has a brilliant future jd4eva has a brilliant future jd4eva has a brilliant future jd4eva has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie.
Glad to see all the support for Eve
You like old movies? What happened to Mean Girls?

jd4eva is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23rd, 2006, 02:47 AM   #15
country flag Robbie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd4eva
You like old movies? What happened to Mean Girls?
Some.

Eve is a bit like Mean Girls