Austin on Sharapova - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jul 7th, 2006, 10:21 PM   #1
Volcana

Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute
Austin on Sharapova

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13738663/

From the middle of the article

Quote:
No improvement in two years
Sharapova's game has remained where it was when she won the Wimbledon title in 2004. Despite her having fallen short of again reaching the final at a major, her game has not regressed.
What was different at Wimbledon in 2004 was that with Henin-Hardenne and Clijsters sidelined, there was an opening for other players, and Sharapova made the most of that.

It was the same situation when Anastasia Myskina won the 2004 French Open — Henin-Hardenne and Clijsters weren’t in the draw.
I have a couple problems with this. First off, Henin-Hardenne played Roland Garros in 2004.

Secondly, there have been eight slams played since Wimbledon 2004, including 2006). Clijsters and Henin-Hardenne have both played most of them, each missing OZ '05. Yet Venus, Serena, Mauresmo and Kuznetnova all won slams during that period, and Pierce, Davenport, and Dementieva have all made finals.

It seems like the presence of Clijsters and Henin-Hardenne is no block to winning GS tournaments or making finals, providing you happen to be one of the two best players for a given fortnight.

Having said all that, Austin makes an intersting point, despite being so wrong on the essential facts, and what they portend.

Sharapova hasn't improved in the last two years.

Wait. Too simpistic.

Sharapova is getting the same results she was post-Wimbledon '04 (putting aside the '04 YEC). Mind you, her results are good. She's pretty much a lock for the semis in any GS not on clay. But how many different ways can you lose in the semis? Then again, there is a constant to her losses. she's been losing those semis to older, smarter players. (Venus, Serena, Amelie Mauresmo, Henin-Hardenne, Clijsters) Who will all (most likely) be off the tour over the next five years. And Sharapova will only be 24.

But back to Tracy Austin, you almost get the feeling the article was originally longer, and badly edited. Cause her reasoning is sub-par.

Last edited by Volcana : Jul 7th, 2006 at 10:27 PM.
Volcana is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jul 7th, 2006, 10:29 PM   #2
country flag SAEKeithSerena

SAEKeithSerena has a reputation beyond repute SAEKeithSerena has a reputation beyond repute SAEKeithSerena has a reputation beyond repute SAEKeithSerena has a reputation beyond repute SAEKeithSerena has a reputation beyond repute SAEKeithSerena has a reputation beyond repute SAEKeithSerena has a reputation beyond repute SAEKeithSerena has a reputation beyond repute SAEKeithSerena has a reputation beyond repute SAEKeithSerena has a reputation beyond repute SAEKeithSerena has a reputation beyond repute
i can't stand tracy austin

16-Time Grand Slam Champion.

2013 Titles: Brisbane, Sony Open (Miami), Family Circle Cup, Madrid, Rome, 16th SLAM-THE FRENCH OPEN, Bastad, Roger's Cup

2013 Record: (60-4)
SAEKeithSerena is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 11:02 PM   #3
country flag Veenut

Veenut has a brilliant future Veenut has a brilliant future Veenut has a brilliant future Veenut has a brilliant future Veenut has a brilliant future Veenut has a brilliant future Veenut has a brilliant future Veenut has a brilliant future Veenut has a brilliant future Veenut has a brilliant future Veenut has a brilliant future
I guess it is difficult for Tracey to acknowledge that Maria at this time cannot consistently defeat the Veterans. Yes, she will get a win if they are suffering from injury or an off day. Tracey is in denial if she thinks Justine and Kim are are the two people standing between Maria and a major win.
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 11:07 PM   #4
country flag PatrickRyan

PatrickRyan has a reputation beyond repute PatrickRyan has a reputation beyond repute PatrickRyan has a reputation beyond repute PatrickRyan has a reputation beyond repute PatrickRyan has a reputation beyond repute PatrickRyan has a reputation beyond repute PatrickRyan has a reputation beyond repute PatrickRyan has a reputation beyond repute PatrickRyan has a reputation beyond repute PatrickRyan has a reputation beyond repute PatrickRyan has a reputation beyond repute
it's true when she said her movement isn't as good as amelies
PatrickRyan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 11:25 PM   #5
country flag Brashkoala

Brashkoala has a brilliant future Brashkoala has a brilliant future Brashkoala has a brilliant future Brashkoala has a brilliant future Brashkoala has a brilliant future Brashkoala has a brilliant future Brashkoala has a brilliant future Brashkoala has a brilliant future Brashkoala has a brilliant future Brashkoala has a brilliant future Brashkoala has a brilliant future
maria has won a slam and been number one in the world. she has reached a feat many dream of. however, she is young and it will take her a couple of years before she is fully comfortable in her body and able to win slams consistantly.

maria has improved since 04 wimbledon. she is a lot more consistant and not as streaky, but players now know how she plays and pressure plays a major role. maria is a great girl who is serious about her tennis and puts it before all other things. i am really greatful she is a part of tennis, and most of all that i was a fan of hers since late 2002.
Old Jul 8th, 2006, 12:10 AM   #6
country flag Morrissey

Morrissey is a splendid one to behold Morrissey is a splendid one to behold Morrissey is a splendid one to behold Morrissey is a splendid one to behold Morrissey is a splendid one to behold Morrissey is a splendid one to behold Morrissey is a splendid one to behold Morrissey is a splendid one to behold Morrissey is a splendid one to behold Morrissey is a splendid one to behold Morrissey is a splendid one to behold
I also can't stand Tracy Austin she is biased very biased. Sharapova also was coached by Robert Landsorpf. And he said Sharapova has gotten lazy and I agree. Maria's fitness isn't that great and yes she does get tired in three set matches. Her footwork is crap she doesn't move well at times, and her volleys are pathetic. All Mauresmo had to do was get Maria to the net and she missed the volley. Maria still to this day doesn't play doubles. Now if the girl bothered to learn how to really volley and play doubles and develop some strategy maybe she would be a better player.
Morrissey is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8th, 2006, 02:17 AM   #7
country flag tennisIlove09

tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute
Australian Open -- SF Serena def. 26 75 86

In my mind THIS was the match that changed Sharapova's career so far. She was up. Not once. Twice. In the second and then again in the third. Match points. She would have faced Davenport, who she has had good success in. Had she beaten Serena, entirally different situtation. Had she won, she would have had the Wimbledon - YEC - Aussie title under belt. Obviously the best player. That to me is where things changed.
tennisIlove09 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8th, 2006, 02:33 AM   #8
country flag Brooks.

Brooks. has a reputation beyond repute Brooks. has a reputation beyond repute Brooks. has a reputation beyond repute Brooks. has a reputation beyond repute Brooks. has a reputation beyond repute Brooks. has a reputation beyond repute Brooks. has a reputation beyond repute Brooks. has a reputation beyond repute Brooks. has a reputation beyond repute Brooks. has a reputation beyond repute Brooks. has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisIlove09
Australian Open -- SF Serena def. 26 75 86

In my mind THIS was the match that changed Sharapova's career so far. She was up. Not once. Twice. In the second and then again in the third. Match points. She would have faced Davenport, who she has had good success in. Had she beaten Serena, entirally different situtation. Had she won, she would have had the Wimbledon - YEC - Aussie title under belt. Obviously the best player. That to me is where things changed.
Serena
Brooks. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8th, 2006, 02:46 AM   #9
country flag Stamp Paid
Joshua

Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeReeFan
Serena
She fucked up Kuznetsova too after Beijing in 2004.
Altho Sveta has found her form again.

█████████████████ʘ
Stamp Paid is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8th, 2006, 03:12 AM   #10
country flag switz

switz has a reputation beyond repute switz has a reputation beyond repute switz has a reputation beyond repute switz has a reputation beyond repute switz has a reputation beyond repute switz has a reputation beyond repute switz has a reputation beyond repute switz has a reputation beyond repute switz has a reputation beyond repute switz has a reputation beyond repute switz has a reputation beyond repute
i don't like her particularly but when you consider the fact that since then she's accumulated a 1-8 or something H2H against the Belgians (with her only win over Henin in her first match back in what has arguably been her worst major tournament in Miami) it does make some sense. bit simplistic though.
switz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8th, 2006, 03:15 AM   #11
country flag switz

switz has a reputation beyond repute switz has a reputation beyond repute switz has a reputation beyond repute switz has a reputation beyond repute switz has a reputation beyond repute switz has a reputation beyond repute switz has a reputation beyond repute switz has a reputation beyond repute switz has a reputation beyond repute switz has a reputation beyond repute switz has a reputation beyond repute
most people without a huge affection for her can say that Wimbleden 2004 was basically a combination of determination but also a lot of good fortune. Sugiyama had her almost beat in the quarters before putting in her customary choke, Davenport was wiping the floor with her before the rain came Lindsay realised she could win Wimbledon and Serena was at about 60% of her capacities.

Still an unbelievable achievement no doubt but the lack of slams (or even finals) since really does back this up that she wasn't ready.
switz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8th, 2006, 03:56 AM   #12
country flag Reuchlin
Registered 1

Reuchlin has a reputation beyond repute Reuchlin has a reputation beyond repute Reuchlin has a reputation beyond repute Reuchlin has a reputation beyond repute Reuchlin has a reputation beyond repute Reuchlin has a reputation beyond repute Reuchlin has a reputation beyond repute Reuchlin has a reputation beyond repute Reuchlin has a reputation beyond repute Reuchlin has a reputation beyond repute Reuchlin has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brashkoala
maria has won a slam and been number one in the world. she has reached a feat many dream of. however, she is young and it will take her a couple of years before she is fully comfortable in her body and able to win slams consistantly.

maria has improved since 04 wimbledon. she is a lot more consistant and not as streaky, but players now know how she plays and pressure plays a major role. maria is a great girl who is serious about her tennis and puts it before all other things. i am really greatful she is a part of tennis, and most of all that i was a fan of hers since late 2002.
wiser words have never been spoken.
Old Jul 8th, 2006, 03:58 AM   #13
country flag Reuchlin
Registered 1

Reuchlin has a reputation beyond repute Reuchlin has a reputation beyond repute Reuchlin has a reputation beyond repute Reuchlin has a reputation beyond repute Reuchlin has a reputation beyond repute Reuchlin has a reputation beyond repute Reuchlin has a reputation beyond repute Reuchlin has a reputation beyond repute Reuchlin has a reputation beyond repute Reuchlin has a reputation beyond repute Reuchlin has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz
most people without a huge affection for her can say that Wimbleden 2004 was basically a combination of determination but also a lot of good fortune. Sugiyama had her almost beat in the quarters before putting in her customary choke, Davenport was wiping the floor with her before the rain came Lindsay realised she could win Wimbledon and Serena was at about 60% of her capacities.

Still an unbelievable achievement no doubt but the lack of slams (or even finals) since really does back this up that she wasn't ready.
Serena at 60% can defeat Capriati 61 61 ?
Old Jul 8th, 2006, 04:01 AM   #14
country flag SJW

SJW has a reputation beyond repute SJW has a reputation beyond repute SJW has a reputation beyond repute SJW has a reputation beyond repute SJW has a reputation beyond repute SJW has a reputation beyond repute SJW has a reputation beyond repute SJW has a reputation beyond repute SJW has a reputation beyond repute SJW has a reputation beyond repute SJW has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pagliacci
Serena at 60% can defeat Capriati 61 61 ?
SJW is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8th, 2006, 04:31 AM   #15
country flag akosijepoy

akosijepoy has much to be proud of akosijepoy has much to be proud of akosijepoy has much to be proud of akosijepoy has much to be proud of akosijepoy has much to be proud of akosijepoy has much to be proud of akosijepoy has much to be proud of akosijepoy has much to be proud of akosijepoy has much to be proud of akosijepoy has much to be proud of akosijepoy has much to be proud of
She's only 19. She will only get better!!!!!
akosijepoy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote