Justine is playing on Saturday for her grandfather. - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jul 7th, 2006, 04:58 PM   #1
country flag treufreund

treufreund has a reputation beyond repute treufreund has a reputation beyond repute treufreund has a reputation beyond repute treufreund has a reputation beyond repute treufreund has a reputation beyond repute treufreund has a reputation beyond repute treufreund has a reputation beyond repute treufreund has a reputation beyond repute treufreund has a reputation beyond repute treufreund has a reputation beyond repute treufreund has a reputation beyond repute
Justine is playing on Saturday for her grandfather.

http://eurosport.com/tennis/wimbledo...to921265.shtml

Justine Henin-Hardenne has revealed that she is extra motivated to win her first Wimbledon final after losing her first attempt back in 2001. On that occasion the Belgian lost out in three sets to Venus Williams before discovering that her grandfather had died that day.

"My first grand slam final here was very special," Henin-Hardenne told reporters after her 6-4 7-6 defeat of fellow Belgian Kim Clijsters on Thursday.

"I lost my grandfather that day and I hope this year it's going to be different. It's very emotional for me again.

"It's been five years and that was someone I loved so much and I was very close to him. So I will have a lot of motivation on Saturday."

Justine's clash with Amelie Mauresmo will be her eighth grand slam final and gives her a chance to complete a career slam after already winning the Australian Open, U.S. Open and the French Open on three occasions.

NEW ERA

Since Henin-Hardenne's emergence as a major force in 2001 a lot has happened to the third seed. Indeed, it could almost be seen as a different era, such was the domination of the Williams sisters at that time in the women's game.

"It's a long time ago. It seems very far away from now," she told reporters.

"I've improved so much and I grew up a lot and I did great things in my career already. I was very young then and not mature at all at the time.

"When I lost here 2001, 2002, 2003, it was always against one of the Williams sisters.

"It was a time in my career when I was very scared about the power of the other players. I was a bit impressed by these players. I was younger and did not have much experience.

"It's not the best memory of my career, the final here."

If Justine's performances at SW19 so far this year are anything to go by, she will be expecting to break her Wimbledon duck on Saturday.
treufreund is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jul 7th, 2006, 05:00 PM   #2
country flag Mightymirza

Mightymirza has a reputation beyond repute Mightymirza has a reputation beyond repute Mightymirza has a reputation beyond repute Mightymirza has a reputation beyond repute Mightymirza has a reputation beyond repute Mightymirza has a reputation beyond repute Mightymirza has a reputation beyond repute Mightymirza has a reputation beyond repute Mightymirza has a reputation beyond repute Mightymirza has a reputation beyond repute Mightymirza has a reputation beyond repute
ohh justine get that damn title...

Martina Hingis Ana Ivanovic Myskina Safarova

When I have my goals set, I always attain them- Justine
Mightymirza is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 05:02 PM   #3
country flag DragonFlame
Team WTAworld

DragonFlame has a reputation beyond repute DragonFlame has a reputation beyond repute DragonFlame has a reputation beyond repute DragonFlame has a reputation beyond repute DragonFlame has a reputation beyond repute DragonFlame has a reputation beyond repute DragonFlame has a reputation beyond repute DragonFlame has a reputation beyond repute DragonFlame has a reputation beyond repute DragonFlame has a reputation beyond repute DragonFlame has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightymirza
ohh justine get that damn title...
can't agree more, finish it justine!

Elena, thank you for all the joy you gave me, you will always remain in my mind.
Intelligence Officer of the SS Dementieva
DragonFlame is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 05:02 PM   #4
country flag FrenchY52

FrenchY52 has a reputation beyond repute FrenchY52 has a reputation beyond repute FrenchY52 has a reputation beyond repute FrenchY52 has a reputation beyond repute FrenchY52 has a reputation beyond repute FrenchY52 has a reputation beyond repute FrenchY52 has a reputation beyond repute FrenchY52 has a reputation beyond repute FrenchY52 has a reputation beyond repute FrenchY52 has a reputation beyond repute FrenchY52 has a reputation beyond repute
Cool.
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 05:03 PM   #5
country flag treufreund

treufreund has a reputation beyond repute treufreund has a reputation beyond repute treufreund has a reputation beyond repute treufreund has a reputation beyond repute treufreund has a reputation beyond repute treufreund has a reputation beyond repute treufreund has a reputation beyond repute treufreund has a reputation beyond repute treufreund has a reputation beyond repute treufreund has a reputation beyond repute treufreund has a reputation beyond repute
I love the idea of her trying to win for her beloved grandfather. Please win for him JUJU and for us fans who have to constantly endure the haters.
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 05:05 PM   #6
fredbdx

fredbdx has a reputation beyond repute fredbdx has a reputation beyond repute fredbdx has a reputation beyond repute fredbdx has a reputation beyond repute fredbdx has a reputation beyond repute fredbdx has a reputation beyond repute fredbdx has a reputation beyond repute fredbdx has a reputation beyond repute fredbdx has a reputation beyond repute fredbdx has a reputation beyond repute fredbdx has a reputation beyond repute
Ah Ah Ah!!

Well it seems that she needs to have lost someone of her family to find the extra motivation to win a slam....that's really morbid
fredbdx is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 05:08 PM   #7
country flag vejh

vejh has a brilliant future vejh has a brilliant future vejh has a brilliant future vejh has a brilliant future vejh has a brilliant future vejh has a brilliant future vejh has a brilliant future vejh has a brilliant future vejh has a brilliant future vejh has a brilliant future vejh has a brilliant future
I hate how out of context those quotes are. Why not just post her entire post-SF interview? I was of the impression after reading her interview that she hopes no such bad luck ensues after the finals on saturday.
vejh is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 05:09 PM   #8
Filip!

Filip! is just really nice Filip! is just really nice Filip! is just really nice Filip! is just really nice Filip! is just really nice Filip! is just really nice Filip! is just really nice Filip! is just really nice Filip! is just really nice Filip! is just really nice Filip! is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredbdx
Well it seems that she needs to have lost someone of her family to find the extra motivation to win a slam....that's really morbid

Justine is motivated to win every grand slam!
Filip! is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 05:13 PM   #9
country flag treufreund

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredbdx
uhhh, no, nobody even came close to implying that???
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 05:15 PM   #10
country flag vejh

vejh has a brilliant future vejh has a brilliant future vejh has a brilliant future vejh has a brilliant future vejh has a brilliant future vejh has a brilliant future vejh has a brilliant future vejh has a brilliant future vejh has a brilliant future vejh has a brilliant future vejh has a brilliant future
Here is her post-SF interview for comparison.

Q. You playing as well as you've ever played on grass?

JUSTINE HENIN HARDENNE: Oh, it's hard to compare. Different situations. It's more about the tennis, it's more about the nerves and how I deal with the situation. Today I played my best tennis on important points and when I had to, so that's great. I'm very happy the way the match ended and very happy to be for the second time here in the final.

Q. Compared to over the years playing on grass, how does that rate?

JUSTINE HENIN HARDENNE: Yeah, I'm for sure better player today than I was few years ago. Had a lot of trouble on grass in the last two years, didn't play a lot. So very happy to be back at my top level this year on grass, for sure.

Q. How are you dealing with the fact that obviously it's been a while since you had a break? You had the emotion of Roland Garros, then latter stages of Wimbledon.

JUSTINE HENIN HARDENNE: Yeah, it's long and it's tough because, you know, in the last six weeks I played five of them. Even if physically I won a lot of matches in two sets, emotionally and mentally it's pretty hard. That's why the fact that it's so close doesn't make the situation easy for me. But I have a lot of motivation, and I enjoy my game. I feel lucky to be healthy. For sure I'm getting a bit tired, but I will have time to think about that on Saturday night.

Q. As beautifully as you're playing right now, it seems like your game could still get more aggressive. In the second set you started to come in on a ball, then you went back, ended up losing the point. You hit a great lob, stood at the baseline watching it when maybe you could have come forward. Why can't you push yourself to continue to play aggressively like you did in the first set?

JUSTINE HENIN HARDENNE: Yeah, it's not easy to keep this intensity during the whole match against this kind of player because she put on me a lot of player and I know it. So I know I have to be at my best level all the time, and that's not easy, especially on grass. You know, we have to come back a little bit. It's been hard for me in the past to be an aggressive player, come to the net. I'm doing it more often now. But still, it asks me an effort, it's not very natural. I have to keep working on it but it's much better than it was a few months ago, so I am in a good way.

Q. Can you talk about the pressure you're under, having such a long Roland Garros and now here. Did you find it easy to turn off between games, like now and the final?

JUSTINE HENIN HARDENNE: Yeah, now I just have I'm very focused on my job and what I have to do. That's the main important thing, just to stay very concentrate. And after maybe Fed Cup and then for sure a break after so I will have time to think about all these last few weeks in a couple of days. But now I have to stay really focus and ready mentally, physically. And even if it's not easy, you know, it's gonna be the last effort and I have to make it.

Q. Amélie Mauresmo is up a set and a break. Is there a part of you that would be grateful if you're given the opportunity of playing Mauresmo again in a Grand Slam final after the events of Melbourne?

JUSTINE HENIN HARDENNE: It's, for me, far away from now. It's from the past. I want to think about myself, and another opportunity to win another Grand Slam and win for the first time Wimbledon, but not thinking about what happened a few months ago because the situation is different. I hope we can both be in our best shape and show a good tennis to the crowd.

Q. Seem to be calmer about it, if you were able to come out, be healthy, fit and ready to play this time and put on the show that you would have liked to have put on if you were given the opportunity in Melbourne.

JUSTINE HENIN HARDENNE: I don't have anything to prove to anyone anymore. I think I proved enough on the tennis court how the fighter I am, how much I can compete, you know. There's always a lot of determination. So it's just about myself, and I hope I can win this title, for sure. But in front of me, if it's Amélie or Sharapova, it's gonna be a tough match anyway. So let's stay concentrate on the main thing, and it's the game, and then we'll see.

Q. You have so many great tools for the grass court game. You consistently have talked about how much you prefer clay and that's the best surface for your game. Is that just merely a matter of habit and because you grew up on it, or is there some other aspect of it that really makes you say your game is better for clay?

JUSTINE HENIN HARDENNE: Well, I feel very comfortable on clay because, uhm, not a lot of players can play well on clay also. Just I feel the surface pretty well. I can slide pretty easily. It's feeling natural for me. And I have a lot of time to build my game on clay. It's much slower. Here, on grass, I don't have any other choice than being aggressive. That's why maybe it's a bit more difficult for me. That's what I'm working for right now, going to the net a lot, improve my serve so that it helps me on this surface. But clay remains a surface where I feel the most comfortable.

Q. Can you compare yourself now as a player and as a person to the last time you made the Wimbledon final.

JUSTINE HENIN HARDENNE: Oh, lot of things have changed. It was my first Grand Slam final. At that time I was still very young, no experience at the time. So just all my successes in Grand Slams and all my victories on the tour and the fact that I grew up, that gave me confidence and experience. That's the biggest difference, I would say. So, yeah, just it's five years. It's long time ago. It seems very far away from now. And I improve so much and I grew up a lot and I did great things in my career already. So, yeah, I was very young and not mature at all at that time.

Q. I know it's a tough question, but in these five years, what are the one or two things, big picture, that you really have learned about yourself?

JUSTINE HENIN HARDENNE: I had a lot of ups and downs in my career, when I wasn't healthy anymore, when I couldn't compete, when I couldn't do what I love so much, traveling and playing all over the world. I was very it was a tough time. But now I'm back, healthy, at my best level. So that's very important. Yeah, my first Grand Slam final here was very special. I lost my grandfather that day, and I hope this year it's gonna be different. So it's very emotional for me again. It's been five years and that was someone I love so much and I was very close to him, so I will have a lot of motivation on Saturday.

Q. Did that affect your play?

JUSTINE HENIN HARDENNE: No, because I knew it after the match.

Q. And what do you remember about the match?

JUSTINE HENIN HARDENNE: Not I was I mean, it was one set all, but I was far away from win it. I was in front of a player who was such in confidence on the surface. When I lost here 20001, 2002, 2003, it was always against one of the Williams sisters. It was a time in my career when I was very scared about the power of the other players. I was a bit impressed by these players. I was younger, and not the experience I have today. So it's not the best memory of my career, the final here.

Q. Did something get stuck in your throat in the second set, you needed a drink?

JUSTINE HENIN HARDENNE: Yeah, because I always eat energetic bar.

Q. Wasn't a banana?

JUSTINE HENIN HARDENNE: No, wasn't a banana.

Q. You just needed a drink to swallow?

JUSTINE HENIN HARDENNE: Yeah, yeah.

Q. No problem?

JUSTINE HENIN HARDENNE: No, no.

Q. Can you talk about the challenges Mauresmo and Sharapova pose to you.

JUSTINE HENIN HARDENNE: Yeah, they're both great players. Mauresmo is very consistent player. She's always at the end of tournaments like this, and she proved it. And Sharapova, she's a fighter. It's never over. She's young and she has a lot of motivation. Any way, it's gonna be a tough match against both of them. It will be a really tough match, and I will have to keep playing the way I played today, very aggressive, not thinking too much about the issues, stay focused on every point, every moment, and then we'll see what's gonna happen.

Q. How will you unwind tomorrow? To many of us, you seem quite a focused, some might even say intense person. What do you do to relax?

JUSTINE HENIN HARDENNE: Yeah, I'm very intense. That's my problem sometimes, but that's also the reason why I did so many things in my career. So it's probably a good quality. But tomorrow I will be for sure really focused in my match on Saturday, but I will try just to practice a little bit, thinking about what I will have to do on Saturday. But probably on Saturday morning I will be I was pretty nervous this morning and it's always a good sign. I hope I will be as nervous on Saturday.

Q. You don't have any hobbies or anything you do to take your mind away from that, apart from skydiving.

JUSTINE HENIN HARDENNE: No, no, I won't go tomorrow, I promise. Always come back to the skydiving (laughing). No, I'm a normal person. I live like a normal person. I will watch some TV tonight, I will read a little bit, I will be with my coach, my husband. There will be a good time tomorrow.

Q. What are you reading?

JUSTINE HENIN HARDENNE: Right now, I'm watching more TV so I have to start a new book. So maybe tomorrow.

Q. Just to clarify, the grandfather who passed away, was that on your mother's side?

JUSTINE HENIN HARDENNE: Yeah.

Q. What was his name?

JUSTINE HENIN HARDENNE: Georges.

Q. Has Mauresmo been a more difficult opponent for you because of the variety she brings to the court? She hits with a lot of spin, slice, but she can also hit with power.

JUSTINE HENIN HARDENNE: Yeah, I wouldn't say we have the same game, the same kind of style. We are different kind of players on the tour. Amélie and me, we just mix it up a little bit more. On grass, she has great qualities. She is playing very, very good tennis. She's coming a lot to the net. She's very aggressive. So I think it's probably her best surface.

Q. Make her more unpredictable than, say, a Sharapova or Clijsters?

JUSTINE HENIN HARDENNE: Yeah, it would be a different match, for sure. But I will have to take it very seriously in both situations because it's only one more match, but I'm still very far away from it.

Q. What would it mean for you to complete the career Grand Slam?

JUSTINE HENIN HARDENNE: I don't know now 'cause I don't realize what it would mean. Maybe after the match I hope we can talk about that. But let's go step by step. Tomorrow, some rest, and then Saturday I will have another great match, and I hope I can play my best tennis and win it. But who knows what's gonna happen. I'm gonna try to forget about that, play it as another Grand Slam final. I hope I can get another title, but, uhm, like I said, you have to work very hard every day, and we'll see.
vejh is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 05:38 PM   #11
country flag No.1Hingis

No.1Hingis is a splendid one to behold No.1Hingis is a splendid one to behold No.1Hingis is a splendid one to behold No.1Hingis is a splendid one to behold No.1Hingis is a splendid one to behold No.1Hingis is a splendid one to behold No.1Hingis is a splendid one to behold No.1Hingis is a splendid one to behold No.1Hingis is a splendid one to behold No.1Hingis is a splendid one to behold No.1Hingis is a splendid one to behold
Is nice detail.. and sure that motivate her to win.. BUT... I just dont wanna her to win in this especial ocassion.. not this time..
No.1Hingis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 05:39 PM   #12
country flag Talula

Talula has a reputation beyond repute Talula has a reputation beyond repute Talula has a reputation beyond repute Talula has a reputation beyond repute Talula has a reputation beyond repute Talula has a reputation beyond repute Talula has a reputation beyond repute Talula has a reputation beyond repute Talula has a reputation beyond repute Talula has a reputation beyond repute Talula has a reputation beyond repute
Justine isn't saying she is playing for her grandfather, but that it will be emotional for her and that it will be motivating. A subtle difference, thankfully.

Having read Tie Break - that controversial biography in which many of her family members were interviewed it has tainted my opinion, and that may be unfair, so I'll keep me gob shut!
Talula is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 06:02 PM   #13
country flag roarke

roarke has a reputation beyond repute roarke has a reputation beyond repute roarke has a reputation beyond repute roarke has a reputation beyond repute roarke has a reputation beyond repute roarke has a reputation beyond repute roarke has a reputation beyond repute roarke has a reputation beyond repute roarke has a reputation beyond repute roarke has a reputation beyond repute roarke has a reputation beyond repute
Weird! I didn't even think she had family she cared about anymore. I thought she wrote the lot of them off.
roarke is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 06:03 PM   #14
country flag roarke

roarke has a reputation beyond repute roarke has a reputation beyond repute roarke has a reputation beyond repute roarke has a reputation beyond repute roarke has a reputation beyond repute roarke has a reputation beyond repute roarke has a reputation beyond repute roarke has a reputation beyond repute roarke has a reputation beyond repute roarke has a reputation beyond repute roarke has a reputation beyond repute
OK I see now, he is dead!
roarke is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 06:10 PM   #15
country flag Libertango

Libertango has a reputation beyond repute Libertango has a reputation beyond repute Libertango has a reputation beyond repute Libertango has a reputation beyond repute Libertango has a reputation beyond repute Libertango has a reputation beyond repute Libertango has a reputation beyond repute Libertango has a reputation beyond repute Libertango has a reputation beyond repute Libertango has a reputation beyond repute Libertango has a reputation beyond repute
Aww, it's a very nice and touching story.

I still want Amelie to win though.

Libertango is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote