MARY WON 6-3 6-1 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old May 30th, 2002, 01:57 PM   #1
country flag Mark Spruce
I think I am falling in love !!

Mark Spruce has a reputation beyond repute Mark Spruce has a reputation beyond repute Mark Spruce has a reputation beyond repute Mark Spruce has a reputation beyond repute Mark Spruce has a reputation beyond repute Mark Spruce has a reputation beyond repute Mark Spruce has a reputation beyond repute Mark Spruce has a reputation beyond repute Mark Spruce has a reputation beyond repute Mark Spruce has a reputation beyond repute Mark Spruce has a reputation beyond repute
MARY WON 6-3 6-1

Mary has just won in 59 minutes, and the score was 6-3 6-1. WELL DONE MARY !!!!!!!!!!!

regards

Mark

My MARY PIERCE SITE !!!

Where Is Love I Have Not Found Her Yet

Mark Spruce is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 30th, 2002, 03:56 PM   #2
country flag Mark Spruce

Mark Spruce has a reputation beyond repute Mark Spruce has a reputation beyond repute Mark Spruce has a reputation beyond repute Mark Spruce has a reputation beyond repute Mark Spruce has a reputation beyond repute Mark Spruce has a reputation beyond repute Mark Spruce has a reputation beyond repute Mark Spruce has a reputation beyond repute Mark Spruce has a reputation beyond repute Mark Spruce has a reputation beyond repute Mark Spruce has a reputation beyond repute
MATCH REPORT !!!!!!!!!!!

Pierce out-muscles Spaniard
Nyree Epplett
Thursday, May 30, 2002

2000 champion Mary Pierce skipped into the third round on Thursday with a straight sets upset of No35 seed Cristina Torrens Valero 6-3 6-1 on Court Philippe Chatrier.

In only her second match at Roland Garros since her emotional triumph in the women's singles final two years ago, Pierce played a technically sound game, and was never stretched by her nervous Spanish opponent.

The 27-year-old Frenchwoman used a powerful and precise first serve to force Torrens Valero onto the defensive, pounding 27 winners down to out-muscle the Spaniard from the backcourt.

So resounding was her dominance, that Pierce never even handed a break point to the Spaniard during the entire 62-minute encounter.

Now ranked No132 after a chronic inflammation of the lumbur spine forced her off the tour for most of last year, Pierce had no trouble finishing points off at will today.

Tactically, if the supposedly claycourt savvy Torrens Valero had coerced the less-than-100%-fit Pierce to move around the court more, she may have experienced greater success. Instead the Spaniard was the one doing the scrambling, spilling 30 unforced errors in an unimpressive display.

Pierce now meets the winner of the Aniko Kapros-Virginie Razzano match.

MATCH STATS

Pierce is making her 12th appearance at Roland Garros.
Pierce is coached by Bobby Banck.
Pierce's highest career singles ranking is No3 (1995 and 2000).
Pierce has now beaten Torren Valero the two times they have played.
Pierce's fastest serve was 168km/h.
Torrens Valero is making her sixth appearance in Paris.
Torrens Valero is coached by Jose Luis Aparisi.
Torrens Valero's best results this year have come on clay.
Torrens Valero has ranked inside the top 100 at year's end for the past six years.
Torens Valero's fastest serve was 156km/h.

My MARY PIERCE SITE !!!

Old May 30th, 2002, 04:46 PM   #3
country flag saby
Team WTAworld

saby has a brilliant future saby has a brilliant future saby has a brilliant future saby has a brilliant future saby has a brilliant future saby has a brilliant future saby has a brilliant future saby has a brilliant future saby has a brilliant future saby has a brilliant future saby has a brilliant future
Yesssssssssssss !!!

Good job girl !!!

saby is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2002, 06:09 PM   #4
country flag tarah

tarah is a glorious beacon of light tarah is a glorious beacon of light tarah is a glorious beacon of light tarah is a glorious beacon of light tarah is a glorious beacon of light tarah is a glorious beacon of light tarah is a glorious beacon of light tarah is a glorious beacon of light tarah is a glorious beacon of light tarah is a glorious beacon of light tarah is a glorious beacon of light
Congrats
Old May 30th, 2002, 06:38 PM   #5
country flag Mark Spruce

Mary Article from Yahoo

PARIS (Reuters) - Mary Pierce made a triumphant return to the Court Centrale at Roland Garros, beating Spain's Cristina Torrens Valero 6-3 6-1 to earn herself a place in the third round of the French Open.

Pierce won the title in 2000 but had to miss last year's tournament through injury.

"I was very anxious to get back onto the Court Centrale and get the feeling and the ambience of the court," she said on Thursday.

"Last year wasn't very pleasant because I could not be here to defend my title. I was very frustrated to see that on television. I really wanted to be here.

"It was a fantastic memory here at Roland Garros and I would like to share that with the public again."

The 27-year-old has endured a deep trough of injuries and poor form since becoming the first Frenchwoman to win the Roland Garros title since Francoise Durr in 1967.

Her ranking has fallen to 132 in the world and this is only her eighth tournament of the year after she suffered a catalogue of injuries to her shoulder, stomach and back.

A fortnight ago Pierce was humiliated 6-0 6-0 in the third round of the Italian Open by last year's French Open champion Jennifer Capriati but she says things have improved since then.

"I feel much better physically and my tennis has improved," said Pierce.

"I have a more steady game. It's definitely much better than two weeks ago."

In the next round Pierce could face Virginie Razzano, who she beat on the way to becoming champion two years ago, if Razzano beats Aniko Kapros later on Thursday

regards

Mark

My MARY PIERCE SITE !!!

Old May 30th, 2002, 09:14 PM   #6
motta

motta is just really nice motta is just really nice motta is just really nice motta is just really nice motta is just really nice motta is just really nice motta is just really nice motta is just really nice motta is just really nice motta is just really nice motta is just really nice
Mary's interview after her second round match.
Can someone translate that for me.It is not in the english version of the site!

Q. Comme on dit au Canada, Mary, est-ce que c'est le fun ?
R. Oui, c'est très fun. Je m'amuse beaucoup. J'adore jouer ici. Je sens que ce tournoi fait sortir le meilleur de moi-même, mon jeu et tout... Il y a un plus ici, avec le public, l'ambiance, je sens que je joue pour les gens, pour le pays, je n'ai pas envie de mal jouer ou de perdre. Je ne sais comment dire… Je ne veux pas les décevoir ni les laisser tomber. J'ai peut-être plus de motivation.

Q. Penses-tu avoir sorti aujourd'hui ton meilleur match depuis le début de l'année ?
R. Je ne sais pas. J'ai toujours des choses à critiquer sur mon jeu. Je pense que je n'étais pas assez agressive, que je retenais un peu mes coups, je ne montais pas assez au filet. Je voulais monter un peu plus. Je sens que je n'ai pas passé beaucoup de premières balles, parfois. Je n'ai pas bougé aussi bien que j'aimerais. Mais sinon, c'est bien ; j'ai gagné et c'est vraiment tout ce qui compte à la fin de la journée. Je suis toujours dans le tournoi !

Q. Le fait d'être arrivée ici sans pression peut-il vous permettre éventuellement d'aller très loin ?
R. Oui, peut-être. Mais j'arrive sur tous les tournois sans pression. Je ne peux pas dire que tous les tournois sont pareils, dans un sens ils le sont, mais Roland Garros est toujours différent de tous les autres tournois. C'est quelque chose de très spécial pour moi, qui me tient beaucoup à cœur. Je ne mets pas de pression sur moi-même. Jamais.

Q. Comment t'es-tu sentie l'année passée, quand tu n'a pas pu jouer ici ?
R. Pas très bien. J'avais mal au dos, tous les jours j'avais des douleurs au dos. Ce n'est pas agréable, et puis je n'ai pas pu être ici et défendre mon titre. C'était difficile pour moi de regarder cela à la télé, puisque je voulais tellement y être et je ne pouvais pas ! J'ai essayé de vraiment rester positive et de me dire que dans la vie, tout arrive pour une raison ou une autre. Un an après, je suis là et en bonne santé.

Q. Mary, qu'est-ce qui vous donne le plus d'émotion ? Est-ce d'avoir joué ton premier match, ton tout premier match, hier, ou d'avoir retrouvé le Central aujourd'hui ?
R. Lequel m'a donné plus d'émotion.... C'est vraiment difficile. Hier, c'était le premier match depuis 2 ans. C'est quelque chose ! Et aujourd'hui, c'était le deuxième match mais le premier match sur le Central depuis que j'ai gagné, et j'avais vraiment hâte de retrouver le Central, l'ambiance du Central. Donc, les deux, mais différemment.

Q. Penses-tu que c'est mieux que cela se soit passé ainsi, cela n'aurait-il pas été trop difficile de retrouver le central dès le premier match ?
R. Je ne sais pas, peut-être trop d'émotion en une fois… On ne sait jamais.

K. Hier, Kuerten a eu du mal sur le central, est revenu dans son match. Toi, as-tu l'impression d'être à Roland Garros avec une motivation supplémentaire, parce que tu as déjà gagné ? Cela te donne-t-il une motivation supplémentaire par rapport aux autres tournois ?
Est-ce que tu sens que tu as cela en plus ?

R. Parce que j'ai gagné, dans un sens, cela me donne de la motivation pour gagner encore, parce que j'ai vécu quelque chose d'incroyable, de formidable. Bien sûr, j'ai envie de refaire la même chose, de revivre la même chose, c'est certain.

K. Si Virginie Razzano gagne son match, vous allez la retrouver au prochain tour. Cela vous rappellera de bons souvenirs. Y voyez-vous un heureux présage ?
Est-ce que vous pensez que c'est un bon côté qui vous rappellera votre parcours d'il y a 2 ans ?
R. Parce que j'ai joué contre elle ici il y a 2 ans ?
(Rires.)
Je ne me souviens même pas. Je sais que j'ai joué contre elle mais....
K. Oui, l'année du titre !
R. Alors c'est bien, c'est peut-être un bon signe.

K. En dehors de ton dos peux-tu brièvement résumer toutes les blessures que tu as eues depuis 2 ans : le pied, l'estomac....
R. Il y a eu l'épaule droite, puis le dos, après, cette année, quand j'ai repris les tournois, j'ai eu une élongation de l'ischio gauche, puis un problème de cheville et enfin une élongation des abdominaux à Melbourne ; c'est tout !

K. C'est fini tout ça ?
R. Oui, pour le moment, j'espère que ça va rester comme ça. Je touche du bois…
Cela fait partie du sport, j'essaye d'être en bonne santé, de prendre soin de moi, de faire les entraînements, les soins, tout ce qu'il faut.

K. Mary Pierce, on n'arrête pas de te poser des questions, as-tu envie de nous dire quelque chose pour la suite, sans que l'on te pose des questions ?
R. Je n'ai pas l'habitude de cela, j'ai plutôt l'habitude des questions tout le temps !
Vraiment, je n'ai rien à dire de plus que ce que j'ai dit tout à l'heure et ce que je dis depuis que je suis ici. J'adore jouer ici, c'est quelque chose d'extraordinaire que je ne vais jamais oublier. Je vais avoir des souvenirs toute ma vie de Roland Garros, du public, de l'ambiance ici. C'est quelque chose que j'aimerais partager avec le public et je sens que ça se fait de plus en plus. C'est quelque chose que je fais en prenant du plaisir et en même temps, je sens que le public a la joie de partager cela avec moi.

K. Vas-tu regarder le match de foot demain, France/Sénégal ?
R. Je souhaite bonne chance à l'équipe de France, mais je ne suis pas du tout le football. Je suis plus aux Etats-Unis.

K. Il y a 15 jours à Rome, tu disais que le plus difficile pour toi était d'avoir de la patience pour revenir à ton meilleur niveau, certaines fois tu faisais de très bons matches, tu avais l'impression que cela y était et, quelquefois, le tour d'après, tu jouais un match et cela ne marchait plus. Par rapport à Rome, sens-tu que les choses ont progressé et que tu peux exiger plus de toi-même ?
R. Oui, je me sens mieux au niveau mental, physique, mon jeu... Il y a moins de jours ou il y a des hauts et des bas. C'est plus constant. C'est vrai que c'est meilleur qu'il y a deux semaines.

K. Tu disais que tu voulais partager avec le public, que tu sentais le public venir vers toi ; premièrement, est-ce que ce n'est pas toi qui a fait un petit pas vers le public. Qu'est-ce qui a changé dans Mary Pierce en 2 ans ?
R. Je pense que c'est depuis 2 ou 3 ans qu'avec le public, peut-être 3 ans, que ça a changé. C'est nettement meilleur. C'est beaucoup plus agréable pour moi, c'est sûr et je pense que c'est sûr que c'était aussi un pas de mon côté d'ouvrir un peu plus vers le public, de partager ça avec eux. Ils sont là, ils me regarde et pourquoi ne pas partager ça avec ceux qui m'encouragent et qui me soutiennent jusqu'au bout .
motta is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2002, 10:28 PM   #7
country flag Scotso

Scotso has a reputation beyond repute Scotso has a reputation beyond repute Scotso has a reputation beyond repute Scotso has a reputation beyond repute Scotso has a reputation beyond repute Scotso has a reputation beyond repute Scotso has a reputation beyond repute Scotso has a reputation beyond repute Scotso has a reputation beyond repute Scotso has a reputation beyond repute Scotso has a reputation beyond repute
I'm pretty sure it will be up in english eventually.

ALLEZ MARY! Great win!

Le Poussin! Faithfully ignoring the haters since 1995.

Le Poulailler de Poussin! (Simontarded.)

Ron Paul for President 2012!
Scotso is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2002, 01:04 AM   #8
country flag Berlin_Calling

Berlin_Calling has a reputation beyond repute Berlin_Calling has a reputation beyond repute Berlin_Calling has a reputation beyond repute Berlin_Calling has a reputation beyond repute Berlin_Calling has a reputation beyond repute Berlin_Calling has a reputation beyond repute Berlin_Calling has a reputation beyond repute Berlin_Calling has a reputation beyond repute Berlin_Calling has a reputation beyond repute Berlin_Calling has a reputation beyond repute Berlin_Calling has a reputation beyond repute

mary pierce - forever #1
vaidisova - kournikova - golovin - henin
the boys - federer - gasquet - del potro - haase - nishikori
Berlin_Calling is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2002, 02:27 AM   #9
country flag Mark Spruce

MARY INTERVIEW

Q. As we say in Canada, "Is it fun?"

MARY PIERCE: What do you mean by "fun"?

Q. Well, we mean "fun."

MARY PIERCE: What are you speaking, French or English? (Smiling). Is it French? Okay. Fine with me. It is very fun, then. Yes, I'm having fun here. I love playing here because I feel that this tournament here... I don't know how to say this... I managed to get the best tennis out of me here. There's added value here, in a way. There is a very good ambiance. I feel the public is reacting very well. I don't feel like losing, or I don't want to let them down. So for me, it's a bit -- it's more motivation than anywhere else.

Q. Do you think that this was your best match since the beginning of the year today?

MARY PIERCE: I don't know. I don't know. I always find things that can be criticized in the way I play, but I think that maybe I was not aggressive enough. Maybe I was not going to the net enough. I should go more to the net. I was not playing relaxed enough, and I didn't make many first serves. I didn't move as well as I would like to move on the court. But I won, so I think for the time being this is what really matters. I'm still in the tournament.

Q. The fact that you came here without any pressure, will that enable you to go very far in the tournament?

MARY PIERCE: I usually start a tournament without any pressure. All tournaments are not alike. Roland Garros is always different. It's something very special for me. It's very close to my heart. But I don't have this pressure on me. I try not to have this.

Q. How did you feel last year when you couldn't play here?

MARY PIERCE: Not well. Not very well, because my back was aching day after day. This is not pleasant. On top of that, I could not be here, I could not defend my title. So I was very frustrated to see that on television. I really wanted to be here, and I could not be here. But I was trying to think positive then. I always say that things hold meaning in life, and now I feel healthy.

Q. What makes you more happy - is it to play your very first match here in Roland Garros yesterday or is it to be on the center court today? When did you get the most emotion?

MARY PIERCE: Most emotion, well, it's difficult to say because yesterday was the first match after two years, so it was quite something. Today, it's the second match but first time on center court since I won here. So I was very anxious to get back on center court and get this feeling of the ambiance on the center court.

Q. Do you have the feeling that on center court here in Roland Garros, it gives you more motivation because this is a place where you already won and it gives you extra motivation if you compare that with other tournaments?

MARY PIERCE: Yes, well, in a way it gives me this motivation to endeavor to win again, because this was an incredible experience to win here. So I would like to have the same emotion and do it again.

Q. Will it remind you of good things?

MARY PIERCE: Because I played against her two years ago... Yeah, good. I didn't remember that. I know I played her, but I don't remember that it was two years ago here.
Maybe it's a good omen after all. Maybe it's a good sign, yes.

Q. You had many problems with your back and everything. How do you feel now? You had a number of injuries in the last year: Your foot, your stomach, your back, so on.

MARY PIERCE: I don't understand you. Oh, you want a list of my injuries, oh. The list of my injuries for the last two years. Well, shoulder, right shoulder, then the back. Then this year when I started again playing in tournaments, I had a problem in the ischial muscle on the left side, and ankle problems as well. What else? Oh, yes, a problem of relegation of the abdominal muscle. I think this is it. You have the list.

Q. Is that all over?

MARY PIERCE: Yes, I hope. This is the case for the time being, and I hope it will stay like that. But it's part of the sport. I am trying to be very healthy, to take care of myself and do all the proper training.

Q. We're all firing questions at you, but do you feel like saying something? Do you have a message for us without putting a question to you?

MARY PIERCE: Well, I'm not used to that. I'm used to this sort of long list of questions coming from you.
No, not really. Nothing much. I said what I had to say since I came here. I love playing here, this is the main message. It's a fantastic feeling. It's something I will never forget. It's a fantastic memory here in Roland Garros, and I would like to share that again with the public. And I think this is very feasible because I do it more and more often, and I take some pleasure in it. I notice that the public is happy to share this experience with me as well.

__________________________________________________ ___________________

regards

Mark

My MARY PIERCE SITE !!!

Old May 31st, 2002, 02:42 AM   #10
motta

motta is just really nice motta is just really nice motta is just really nice motta is just really nice motta is just really nice motta is just really nice motta is just really nice motta is just really nice motta is just really nice motta is just really nice motta is just really nice
Thanks Mark!
But the questions are diferent.Saby:Can you translate that?
motta is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2002, 03:44 AM   #11
country flag Becool

Becool has a reputation beyond repute Becool has a reputation beyond repute Becool has a reputation beyond repute Becool has a reputation beyond repute Becool has a reputation beyond repute Becool has a reputation beyond repute Becool has a reputation beyond repute Becool has a reputation beyond repute Becool has a reputation beyond repute Becool has a reputation beyond repute Becool has a reputation beyond repute
Yes they are the same

Weldone Mary

serena
townsend × rezaï × lisicki
vesnina × keys × mladenovic

facebook ~ twitter
[#ps - in portuguese]
Becool is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2002, 03:53 AM   #12
country flag Mark Spruce

Try this link out, it is from a TV site and has a few interviews and clips of Mary

CHECK THIS OUT !!

regards

Mark

My MARY PIERCE SITE !!!

Old Jun 1st, 2002, 10:14 AM   #13
country flag saby
Team WTAworld

saby has a brilliant future saby has a brilliant future saby has a brilliant future saby has a brilliant future saby has a brilliant future saby has a brilliant future saby has a brilliant future saby has a brilliant future saby has a brilliant future saby has a brilliant future saby has a brilliant future
Motta, (I did it very quiclky, sorry if I made some mistake)

Q. Like we says in Canada, Mary, it is the fun?

MP. Yes, it is very fun. I enjoy it a lot. I like playing here. I feel that this tournament make me get out the best of myself, my game and everything... There is something here, with the public, the atmosphere, I feel that I play for people, for country, I do not want to play badly or to lose. I do not how to say..... I do not want to disappoint them or let them think I'm give them up, I have maybe more motivation.

Q. Do you think you did today your best performance since the beginning of the year?

MP. I do not know. I always have things to criticize on my game. I think that I was not rather aggressive, that I a little held my shots. I did not go enough to the net. I wanted to go a little more. I feel that I did not serve very good first serves, sometimes. I did not move as well as I would love. But otherwise, it is well ; I won and it is really all which counts in the end of day. I am always in the tournament!

Q. Can the fact to have arrived here without pressure allow you possibly to go very far?

MP. Yes, maybe. But I arrive on all the tournaments without pressure. I can not say that all the tournaments are similar, in a way they are, but Roland Garros is always different from all the other tournaments. It is something very special for me, RG has a very special place in my heart. I do not put pressure on myself. Never.

Q. How did you feel during last year, when you were not able to play here?

MP. Not very well. My back was hurting me, every day I had pains in the back. It is not pleasant, and then I was not able to be here and defend my title. It was difficult for me to look at it on TV, because I wanted to be there so much and I could not! I tried really to remain positive and to say myself that in the life, everything arrives for a reason. One year later, I am there and healthy.

Q Mary, which gives you most emotion? Is it to have played your first match, your very first match yesterday, or to have played on center court today?

MP. Who gave me more emotion.... It is really difficult. Yesterday, it was first match for 2 years. It is something! And today, it was second match but first match on center court since I won, and I looked forward really to finding the center court atmosphere. So, the two, but differently.

Q. Do you think that it is better that it happened so, would not it have been too difficult to find center court from the first match?

MP. I do not know, maybe too much emotion in one step, i will never knows.

Q. Yesterday, Kuerten had trouble on center court, returned in his match. Have you the impression to be at Roland Garros with a supplementary motivation, because you have already won? It give yourself a supplementary motivation with regard to the other tournaments? do you feel that you have more motivation ?

MP. Because I won, in a sense, it still gives me the motivation to win, because I lived something incredible, wonderful. Naturally, I want to redo the same thing, to relive the same thing, it is certain.

Q. If Virginia Razzano wins her match, you will play her in the next tour. It will remind you good memories. Do you see there a good sign?
You think that it is a good sign who will remind you your tournement 2 years ago?

MP. Because I played against her here 2 years ago?

( Laughter.)

I do not even remember. I know that I played against her but....

Q. Yes, the year of the title!

MP. Then it is well , it is maybe a good sign.

Q. Except your back you can briefly summarize all the wounds which you had for 2 years: the foot, the stomach....

MP. There was my right shoulder, the back, later, this year, when I played again, I had a strain of the left ischio, then a problem of ankle and finally a strain of abdominal muscles in Melbourne ; that's all.

Q. You have recover now?

MP. Yes, for the moment, I hope that is going to stay like that. I touch some wood, It is a part of the sport, I try to be healthy, to take care of me, to make trainings, care, all that it is necessary.

Q Mary Pierce, we do not stop asking you questions, do you want to say anything to us, without us asking you questions?

MP. I am not use to it, I answer questions usually !
Really, I do not have anything to say furthermore than what I said right now and what I say since I am here. I like playing here, it is something extraordinary that I am going never to forget. I am going to have memories all my life of Roland Garros, the public, the atmosphere here. It is something that I would like to share with the public and I feel it more and more.
It is something that I make with pleasure at the same time, I feel that the public has the enjoyment to share it with me.

Q. Are you going to watch the match of football tomorrow, France / Senegal?

MP. I wish good chance the team of France, but I don't really like football. I am more US .

Q. 15 days ago in Rome, you said that the most difficult for you was to have patience to return at your best level, certain times you made very good matches, you had the impression that it was there and, sometimes, the next match, you played a match and it did not work any more. With regard to Rome, do you feel that things progressed and that you can require more from yourself?

MP. Yes, I feel better in the mental, physical age, my game... Less than days ago or there are heights and bottom. It is more constant. It is true that it is better than two weeks ago.

Q. You said that you wanted to share with the public, that you felt the public coming towards you, it is not you who made a small step towards the public. Who changed in Mary Pierce in 2 years?

MP. I think that it is for 2 or 3 years that with the public, maybe 3 years, that change. It is better. It is much more pleasant for me, it is sure and I think it was also because I open myself a little more towards the public, to share that with them. They are there, they look at me and why not to share that with those that encourage me and that support me until the end.
saby is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote