John Inverdale. BBC Complaint - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jul 5th, 2006, 01:27 PM   #1
country flag xan

xan has a reputation beyond repute xan has a reputation beyond repute xan has a reputation beyond repute xan has a reputation beyond repute xan has a reputation beyond repute xan has a reputation beyond repute xan has a reputation beyond repute xan has a reputation beyond repute xan has a reputation beyond repute xan has a reputation beyond repute xan has a reputation beyond repute
John Inverdale. BBC Complaint

UK readers. (and others if you like) Please complain

John Inverdale, women's tennis-hating BBC sports anchor needs action taking about him.

He presents Today at Wimbledon, the BBC's main evening round-up of Wimbledon play (on the BBC 2 channel) and is running a personal hate-campaign against Maria. He has always been spiteful about Maria, presenting her achievements in as negative a light as possible, But he has excelled himself this year.

On Monday Night July 3rd he accused Maria (behind her back) of practising "gamesmanship" (ie cheating) with her grunting and taking time between points. The guest with him, (I think JMac) said that other players do exactly the same things.

This didn't stop Inverdale. Last night, (July 4th) instead of showing any replay of Maria's quarter final match which he said was too uninteresting, he showed a segment of an interview where Dementieva was badgered by a BBC reporter into saying something negative about Maria’s “grunting”. Then he took up the whole issue yet again with Pat Cash and Tracy Austin. Inverdale then claimed that a friend of his in No 1 Court had heard Maria's noise from Centre Court, which is impossible. As someone who has reported Wimbledon for years, he should know that the giant TV screen is fixed to the rear of No 1 court, giving amplified coverage for "Henman Hill", which is what was probably heard. The programme finished with a "humorous" replay of Maria's grunts in sound effect against a backround of shaking buildings.

* Inverdale never gives decent coverage of Womens Tennis on his show. 5 mins in the hour on his first week.
* He trivialises the coverage of women's tennis to issues like grunting, and how poor it is as entertainment instead of discussing the actual play.
* He criticises Maria for things he doesn't criticise other female players for and for which he doesn't dare criticise male players like Nadal.

Inverdale clearly hates Maria for some reason, but he has no right to be running a vendetta against her, night after night on the BBC.

It would be great if you could take time to fill in the BBC complaint form here.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/complaints/make...nt_step1.shtml

The main things are his persistent singling out of Maria for abuse and unfair criticism, as well as his dislike of women's tennis which are totally inapropriate for a National Sport presenter. This guy is using TV to harrass one player during a very important contest.

Official Hitman of the Maria Mafia

Last edited by xan : Jul 5th, 2006 at 01:45 PM.
xan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jul 5th, 2006, 02:04 PM   #2
country flag Steve-o

Steve-o has a reputation beyond repute Steve-o has a reputation beyond repute Steve-o has a reputation beyond repute Steve-o has a reputation beyond repute Steve-o has a reputation beyond repute Steve-o has a reputation beyond repute Steve-o has a reputation beyond repute Steve-o has a reputation beyond repute Steve-o has a reputation beyond repute Steve-o has a reputation beyond repute Steve-o has a reputation beyond repute
I don't usually watch Today at Wimbledon but I caught the end of it last night. They do seem to be obcessed with Maria's grunting. Like u said, right at the very end of the programme they showed a few clips of parts of London shaking with Maria's grunt in the background. It did make me laugh

Like it or not, Maria's grunting is always going to be an issue. To be honest, I don't really care what Inverdale, the BBC or the press in general think.
Steve-o is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5th, 2006, 02:05 PM   #3
country flag johnoo

johnoo has a reputation beyond repute johnoo has a reputation beyond repute johnoo has a reputation beyond repute johnoo has a reputation beyond repute johnoo has a reputation beyond repute johnoo has a reputation beyond repute johnoo has a reputation beyond repute johnoo has a reputation beyond repute johnoo has a reputation beyond repute johnoo has a reputation beyond repute johnoo has a reputation beyond repute
can you point me to where you actually make a complaint cause its like a minefield,Inverdale knows fuck all about tennis just a tosspot who does rugby.
johnoo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5th, 2006, 02:07 PM   #4
country flag Steve-o

Steve-o has a reputation beyond repute Steve-o has a reputation beyond repute Steve-o has a reputation beyond repute Steve-o has a reputation beyond repute Steve-o has a reputation beyond repute Steve-o has a reputation beyond repute Steve-o has a reputation beyond repute Steve-o has a reputation beyond repute Steve-o has a reputation beyond repute Steve-o has a reputation beyond repute Steve-o has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnoo
Inverdale knows fuck all about tennis just a tosspot who does rugby.
That is very true
Steve-o is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5th, 2006, 02:12 PM   #5
country flag Dan23

Dan23 has a reputation beyond repute Dan23 has a reputation beyond repute Dan23 has a reputation beyond repute Dan23 has a reputation beyond repute Dan23 has a reputation beyond repute Dan23 has a reputation beyond repute Dan23 has a reputation beyond repute Dan23 has a reputation beyond repute Dan23 has a reputation beyond repute Dan23 has a reputation beyond repute Dan23 has a reputation beyond repute
Ill happilly complain
pavlyuchenkova

Dan23 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5th, 2006, 02:16 PM   #6
country flag johnoo

johnoo has a reputation beyond repute johnoo has a reputation beyond repute johnoo has a reputation beyond repute johnoo has a reputation beyond repute johnoo has a reputation beyond repute johnoo has a reputation beyond repute johnoo has a reputation beyond repute johnoo has a reputation beyond repute johnoo has a reputation beyond repute johnoo has a reputation beyond repute johnoo has a reputation beyond repute
fuck me you just go round in circles you got a proper link please.
johnoo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5th, 2006, 02:17 PM   #7
country flag The_Pov

The_Pov has a reputation beyond repute The_Pov has a reputation beyond repute The_Pov has a reputation beyond repute The_Pov has a reputation beyond repute The_Pov has a reputation beyond repute The_Pov has a reputation beyond repute The_Pov has a reputation beyond repute The_Pov has a reputation beyond repute The_Pov has a reputation beyond repute The_Pov has a reputation beyond repute The_Pov has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o
Like it or not, Maria's grunting is always going to be an issue. To be honest, I don't really care what Inverdale, the BBC or the press in general think.
It's because the tabloids make a huge issue about it and they always will.
The_Pov is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5th, 2006, 02:21 PM   #8
country flag ae wowww

ae wowww has much to be proud of ae wowww has much to be proud of ae wowww has much to be proud of ae wowww has much to be proud of ae wowww has much to be proud of ae wowww has much to be proud of ae wowww has much to be proud of ae wowww has much to be proud of ae wowww has much to be proud of ae wowww has much to be proud of ae wowww has much to be proud of
I will too
Natasha Khan - Tatiana Perebiynis - Lucie Safarova - Kelly Liggan - Maria Sharapova - Andrea Petkovic - Anna Smith - Jie Zheng - Jelena Dokic - Francesca Schiavone - Kim Clijsters - Tamira Paszek - Iveta Benesova - Cara Black - Jane O'Donoghue - Alicia Molik - Elena Bovina - Emily Webley-Smith - Emma Laine - Casey Dellacqua - Patty Schnyder - Carly Gullickson - Caroline Wozniacki - Jennifer Russell - Jelena Jankovic - Trudi Musgrave - Nicole Vaidisova - Anna Chakvetadze - Pemra Ozgen - Shuai Peng - Bryanne Stewart - Alexandra Stevenson - Abigail Spears - Sania Mirza - Irina Bulykina - Tatiana Golovin - Jill Craybas - Bethanie Mattek

Anastassia Rodionova
ae wowww is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5th, 2006, 03:12 PM   #9
country flag Сузи
Yeah take my picture

Сузи has much to be proud of Сузи has much to be proud of Сузи has much to be proud of Сузи has much to be proud of Сузи has much to be proud of Сузи has much to be proud of Сузи has much to be proud of Сузи has much to be proud of Сузи has much to be proud of Сузи has much to be proud of Сузи has much to be proud of
I just complained. That guy is such an idiot.

2004 // 2006 // 2008 // 2012
Сузи is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5th, 2006, 03:42 PM   #10
country flag xan

xan has a reputation beyond repute xan has a reputation beyond repute xan has a reputation beyond repute xan has a reputation beyond repute xan has a reputation beyond repute xan has a reputation beyond repute xan has a reputation beyond repute xan has a reputation beyond repute xan has a reputation beyond repute xan has a reputation beyond repute xan has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnoo
can you point me to where you actually make a complaint cause its like a minefield,Inverdale knows fuck all about tennis just a tosspot who does rugby.
The link above takes you straight to the e-mail complaint form.

You have to go through a couple of pages to get to the bit were you write in what you want to say. Then add e-mail info.

Old Jul 5th, 2006, 03:43 PM   #11
country flag xan

What I don't like about all these media attacks is that they always seem to come just beforee Maria faces a difficult match. Its as if its deliberate to put her off!

Old Jul 5th, 2006, 06:03 PM   #12
country flag Edward.

Edward. has a reputation beyond repute Edward. has a reputation beyond repute Edward. has a reputation beyond repute Edward. has a reputation beyond repute Edward. has a reputation beyond repute Edward. has a reputation beyond repute Edward. has a reputation beyond repute Edward. has a reputation beyond repute Edward. has a reputation beyond repute Edward. has a reputation beyond repute Edward. has a reputation beyond repute
Inverdale is a prat.

But xan, you do need to stop being so paranoid about Maria, and thinking everything and everyone is out to get her.

I dislike haters, but I can understand that some people will not like Maria and will be clear about their dislike of her. People are entitled to opinions. (You are right about Inverdale however, as it is unprofessional to be biased towards Mens Tennis on a highlights show supposedly covering all aspects of tennis, including the Womens tour.)

Official Wiseguy of the Maria Mafia.
1305 ..Eternal follower of the Golden Girl
Edward. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6th, 2006, 06:47 AM   #13
country flag Maria Croft

Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute
But I agree with Xan, all this talk about her grunting (always in the UK) is disturbing, and most of the time it's coming from paid professionals, I think that's very childish.

Larry Scott, the WTA boss himself said he wouldn't change anything about Maria's grunting, so they can all stop talking about it!

Wimbledon 04 US Open 06
Australian Open 08 Roland Garros 2012
0013..Eternal follower of the Golden Girl
Maria Croft is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6th, 2006, 11:55 AM   #14
country flag xan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summon
But I agree with Xan, all this talk about her grunting (always in the UK) is disturbing, and most of the time it's coming from paid professionals, I think that's very childish.

Larry Scott, the WTA boss himself said he wouldn't change anything about Maria's grunting, so they can all stop talking about it!
Did Larry say that? Good on him!

But its just becoming a regular thing that Maria gets targetted in the closing stages of Slams, while everyone else gets a free ride.

Thanks to those who complained. He shouldn't be allowed to get away with such behaviour. Inverdale said nothing about Maria last night. But then they only spent 30 seconds on Womens Tennis. Hopefully they'll move him from Wimbledon coverage in future.

Old Jul 6th, 2006, 08:48 PM   #15
country flag canoe.

canoe. has a brilliant future canoe. has a brilliant future canoe. has a brilliant future canoe. has a brilliant future canoe. has a brilliant future canoe. has a brilliant future canoe. has a brilliant future canoe. has a brilliant future canoe. has a brilliant future canoe. has a brilliant future canoe. has a brilliant future
Quote:
Inverdale said nothing about Maria last night. But then they only spent 30 seconds on Womens Tennis. Hopefully they'll move him from Wimbledon coverage in future.
Yeah, but is he the one who actually produces the show?
canoe. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote