Russian Fed Cup Thread - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Apr 18th, 2014, 01:06 PM   #1
country flag rucolo

rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute
Russian Fed Cup Thread

I think it is time there is a Fed Cup Thread here

Russia is a very successful Fed Cup nation, they won the title in

2004 (Myskina, Zvonareva, Kuznetsova, Likhovtseva)
2005 (Dementieva, Myskina, Safina, Dushevina)
2007 (Kuznetsova, Chakvetadze, Petrova, Vesnina)
2008 (Kuznetsova, Zvonareva, Vesnina, Makarova)

Good Luck
Serena Williams Maria Sharapova Jelena Jankovic
A. Radwanska V. Zvonareva C. Wozniacki N. Petrova M. Hingis
T. Paszek A. Chakvetadze K. Sprem J. Dokic I. Tulyaganova A. Myskina
GNTM 2014 ist Stefanie !
rucolo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 18th, 2014, 01:10 PM   #2
country flag rucolo

rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Russian Fed Cup Thread

WG 1 Play-Off: Russia vs Argentina

Quote:
Russia v Argentina
Venue: Adler Arena, Sochi, Russia (clay - indoors)

Russia
Ekaterina Makarova
Elena Vesnina
Valeria Solovyeva
Darya Kasatkina
Captain: Anastasia Myskina

Argentina
Paula Ormaechea
Maria Irigoyen
Victoria Bosio
Nadia Podoroska
Captain: Maria-Jose Gaidano
Where are Pavlyuchenkova and Kuznetsova ?

Honestly Kasatkina has nothing to do in Russia`s Fed Cup team
She can come back when she has reached Top 100

And Solovyeva is only the 23rd Russian in singles rankings at the moment
I guess Myskina likes her. Why not choose Kleybanova, Kudryavtseva, Panova or Bychkova ?

A loss to Argentina would be a disaster. Russia is the clear favourite

Good Luck
GNTM 2014 ist Stefanie !
Old Apr 18th, 2014, 01:22 PM   #3
country flag rucolo

http://www.fedcup.com/en/news/175526.aspx

Quote:
18 April 2014

Vesnina to start Russia's World Group survival bid

By Richard van Poortvliet

SOCHI, RUSSIA: Russia is in uncharted territory after failing to reach the Fed Cup by BNP Paribas semifinals for the first time since 2006. They face a play-off with Argentina to try and stay with global tennis’ elite eight and avoid relegation to World Group II.

The tie is being played in Sochi, which recently hosted the 2014 Winter Olympic Games. In fact the court is situated in the Adler Arena, which was used for speed skating at the games. However, the ice is long gone and in its place is red clay.

It is a special moment for Elena Vesnina. She announced on Thursday that she is going to get married, while she will be competing in her home city of Sochi.

“It’s always great to play at home and when your home crowd is behind you it always helps,” said the 27 year-old, who says she has ordered 70 tickets for tie to accommodate all her friends and family. “It always helps for Fed Cup and Davis Cup matches because when you have the crowd behind your back, it’s like 50 percent of your victory.”

However, Vesnina could be in for a big test when she faces Argentina’s No. 1, Paula Ormaechea in opening rubber of the weekend. The 21 year-old has a good Fed Cup record and has 11 victories from 12 matches on clay in the competition during her career. She says preparations have been good despite the vast distance they have had to travel, while she has been very impressed at the facilities on offer. Russia’s top two players are both ranked above the South American and Ormaechea acknowledges that the home side are the favourites.

“If the tie is not for us this time, it is still really good what we are doing. We do not have the best team, but we are working for the future,” the world No. 71 mentioned.

“It’s not all about being in the World Group next year, but we want to be with the best players, but I know we have to work for it a lot,” Ormaechea added.

The second match of the day will see Ekaterina Makarova in action against Maria Irigoyen, who at world No. 155 is some 122 places below the Russian in the rankings. Makarova is in good form and has overcome a problem with her wrist, but she is not too familiar with her opponent.

“I know she is a leftie and that’s all I know about her. I don’t really know much about the Argentinian team. I know that Paula Ormachea is on the tour, but I have not seen her matches”, the world No. 22 mentioned.

“We just need to go out there and fight until the last point. A team competition is a little bit different. It is a different situation and different motivation, so some girls may have a lower ranking, but can play unbelievable tennis,” said Makarova.

The Argentine camp who are always happy to play on clay, were a little surprised Russia chose to play on this surface.

The former French Open champion Anastasia Myskina, who has taken over at the helm from the legendry Shamil Tarpishchev, will captain Russia. Myskina, who helped Russia win the competition in 2004, winning all three matches in final against France, did not have the greatest start to her captaincy career, as her country lost 4-0 to Australia in the first round in February. The 32 year-old, who is also a mother of three children, admits to “feeling nervous”, but also explained why Russia decided to play on clay.

“Every April for the Fed Cup we put in the clay courts because it’s in the clay season. We decided it’s better for the girls.”

Saturday

R1: Elena Vesnina (RUS) v Paula Ormaechea (ARG)
R2: Ekaterina Makarova (RUS) v Maria Irigoyen (ARG)

Sunday

R3: Ekaterina Makarova (RUS) v Paula Ormaechea (ARG)
R4: Elena Vesnina (RUS) v Maria Irigoyen (ARG)
R5: Valeria Solovyeva/Darya Kasatkina (RUS) v Maria Irigoyen/Paula Ormaechea (ARG)

Good Luck
GNTM 2014 ist Stefanie !

Last edited by rucolo : Apr 18th, 2014 at 01:37 PM.
Old Apr 18th, 2014, 01:30 PM   #4
country flag rucolo

Good Luck
GNTM 2014 ist Stefanie !
Old Apr 18th, 2014, 01:34 PM   #5
country flag rucolo

Anastasia Myskina

Good Luck
GNTM 2014 ist Stefanie !
Old Apr 19th, 2014, 07:26 AM   #6
country flag GrandMartha

GrandMartha has a reputation beyond repute GrandMartha has a reputation beyond repute GrandMartha has a reputation beyond repute GrandMartha has a reputation beyond repute GrandMartha has a reputation beyond repute GrandMartha has a reputation beyond repute GrandMartha has a reputation beyond repute GrandMartha has a reputation beyond repute GrandMartha has a reputation beyond repute GrandMartha has a reputation beyond repute GrandMartha has a reputation beyond repute

Lena and Katya should be enough to beat Argentina
Old Apr 19th, 2014, 01:07 PM   #7
country flag Pvt. Kovalenko

Pvt. Kovalenko has much to be proud of Pvt. Kovalenko has much to be proud of Pvt. Kovalenko has much to be proud of Pvt. Kovalenko has much to be proud of Pvt. Kovalenko has much to be proud of Pvt. Kovalenko has much to be proud of Pvt. Kovalenko has much to be proud of Pvt. Kovalenko has much to be proud of Pvt. Kovalenko has much to be proud of Pvt. Kovalenko has much to be proud of Pvt. Kovalenko has much to be proud of

Lena V beat Ormaechea 6-3 / 6-3

Katya playing now..

Svetlana Kuznetsova / Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova / Maria Kirilenko / Valeria Savinykh

Sorana Cirstea / Petra Kvitova

Anastasia Myskina / Maria Sharapova / Elena Dementieva
Pvt. Kovalenko is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19th, 2014, 07:30 PM   #8
country flag rucolo

http://www.fedcup.com/en/news/175586.aspx

Quote:
19 April 2014

Russia romp into lead after first day in Sochi

SOCHI, RUSSIA: The Russians find themselves in an excellent position after day one of their Fed Cup by BNP Paribas World Group play-off tie, as they lead Argentina 2-0 after the opening singles after victories for Elena Vesnina and Ekaterina Makarova.

It was the Sochi native Vesnina who was first on court and she was roared on by a partisan home crowd, which included a number of her friends and family as she took on Argentina’s No. 1, Paula Ormaechea. Things did not start well for the Russian, who dropped her serve in the opening game of the match, but she soon hit her stride, with the 21-year-old finding it difficult to cope with Vesnina’s pace and power from the baseline.

"It was a very nervous start because I didn’t know Paula and we had never played against each other and it’s a Fed Cup match and I knew I needed to get the first point for my country," Vesnina said. "I just needed a few games to get used to the surface and her game. When you have one set under your belt and you are leading, it makes a big difference."

Vesnina raced into a 4-0 lead in the second set and despite a little wobble, she calmed her nerves to seal a 63 63 victory in just over one and a quarter hours.

Ranked 71 in the world, Ormaechea would have been hoping to spring an upset, but she was gracious in defeat, adding that the better player won.

"I started well, but then she started playing really well making winners from everywhere and she was pretty consistent. It was tough out there and I knew it was going to be like this. When you are out there you are hoping that you can turn things around for your side but it wasn’t to be this time."

Ekaterina Makarova came into her clash with Maria Irigoyen admitting that she knew almost nothing about her opponent. That was certainly apparent early on as the two traded breaks midway though the first set. The Russian was having difficulty coming to terms with playing a fellow lefthander, but a crucial break in the 11th game allowed her to serve out and take the first set 75.

"I didn’t know her at all so it took some time to know how she is playing and to feel my game. At the important moment at the end of the first set I started to play more my game."

The second set proved to be equally as tight in the first few games, but the turning point was a marathon fourth game. Makarova just about managed to hold her serve despite coming under a lot of pressure and from then on, the match was a mere formality as the 25-year-old did not drop a game to take it 61 and wrap up a straight-sets victory, hitting 29 winners to her opponent's nine.

Russia finds itself in a great position after day one, and Makarova says she is just happy that her country isnt in the same situation as when it played Slovakia last year in the semifinals and was 2-0 down after the opening singles. "Last year was the opposite position, so it’s really good that we have started like that today."

Makarova is due to be first on court on Sunday against Ormaechea, and if she can beat the Argentine, she will preserve her country’s status within tennis’ elite for another year.

Good Luck
GNTM 2014 ist Stefanie !
Old Apr 19th, 2014, 07:41 PM   #9
country flag rucolo

Russia leads 2-0 after day 1 !

Good Luck
GNTM 2014 ist Stefanie !
Old Apr 20th, 2014, 05:20 AM   #10
country flag Salar

Salar is a splendid one to behold Salar is a splendid one to behold Salar is a splendid one to behold Salar is a splendid one to behold Salar is a splendid one to behold Salar is a splendid one to behold Salar is a splendid one to behold Salar is a splendid one to behold Salar is a splendid one to behold Salar is a splendid one to behold Salar is a splendid one to behold

2 Win for Russia by Vesnina and Makarova in the first day:

I think if russia can win the 3rd match, myskina can use Solovyeva or Kasatkina for 4th Single match also.
Salar is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20th, 2014, 06:51 AM   #11
country flag meneer_hidayat

meneer_hidayat is a name known to all meneer_hidayat is a name known to all meneer_hidayat is a name known to all meneer_hidayat is a name known to all meneer_hidayat is a name known to all meneer_hidayat is a name known to all meneer_hidayat is a name known to all meneer_hidayat is a name known to all meneer_hidayat is a name known to all meneer_hidayat is a name known to all meneer_hidayat is a name known to all

if the 3rd match russia can win, they will playing double, not 4th single.
meneer_hidayat is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20th, 2014, 12:54 PM   #12
country flag Phenomareva

Phenomareva has much to be proud of Phenomareva has much to be proud of Phenomareva has much to be proud of Phenomareva has much to be proud of Phenomareva has much to be proud of Phenomareva has much to be proud of Phenomareva has much to be proud of Phenomareva has much to be proud of Phenomareva has much to be proud of Phenomareva has much to be proud of Phenomareva has much to be proud of

And so it happens, Katya beat Ormachea 61 62 . Russia stays in world group, good job, girls

Savinykh - Kirilenko - Sharapova - Buchina - Diatchenko - Kleybanova - Panova - Solovieva
Good luck to all russian and dutch players
Phenomareva is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21st, 2014, 01:25 PM   #13
country flag rucolo

RUS def. ARG 3-0 !

As expected. Well done, Makarova and Vesnina. The atmosphere in Sochi was A LOT better than in Moscow

Good Luck
GNTM 2014 ist Stefanie !
Old Apr 21st, 2014, 01:28 PM   #14
country flag rucolo

http://www.fedcup.com/en/news/175597.aspx

Quote:
20 April 2014

Russia maintains its place among the elite

SOCHI, RUSSIA: Russia have secured their Fed Cup by BNP Paribas World Group status for another year, after they took an unassailable 3-0 lead against Argentina, following Ekaterina Makarova’s straight sets victory against Paula Ormaechea.

It was a dominant display by the world No. 22, who has been in excellent form this weekend as she sealed a 61 62 victory in an hour and 19 minutes, against her Argentine opponent, who had no match for her rasping forehands from the baseline.

“It was a good weekend, but especially for me as I played two matches. I was number one in the team, so I felt a little bit nervous, but I am really happy we came through all of this,” said a delighted Makarova.

Ormaechea came into this tie with an excellent record on clay, having won 11 out of 12 matches on this surface. However, after a demoralising defeat to Elena Vesnina on day one, the Argentine was under pressure to give her country a lifeline, by beating the in-form Makarova.

Things did not start well for the 21 year-old, who was broken in the very first game of the match and the Russian swept to take the first set 6-1 in just a shade under half an hour.

The second set proved to be a different story early on, as the Argentine showed excellent battling qualities to try and nullify the power of Makarova from the baseline.

Ormaechea held serve in a marathon second game and immediately broke her opponent to move into the lead for the first time in the match. In keeping with what has been a disappointing week for the world No. 71, she dropped her serve in the very next game and was clearly frustrated about this, long after the match finished.

“I was really, really trying but I never found my tennis. I couldn’t feel it. I broke and then I had chances to win my serve, but then she played two great points and then I was struggling. At the moment I am really disappointed, but it will get better,” said a dejected Ormaechea.

There was to be no way back for the Argentine, as the Russian No. 1 won five games in a row – hitting 28 winners, to seal a 61 62 victory, with a crushing cross court forehand in an hour and 19 minutes.

Makarova seemed to revel in taking on the extra responsibility of being Russia’s top-ranked player for the first time in her career. She has always been an excellent doubles player and now she seems to be taking that form into her singles game.

“Today maybe I was a little bit more motivated as we were leading 2-0 and we needed just one more point and I think I showed really good tennis today,” the world No. 22 mentioned.

Good Luck
GNTM 2014 ist Stefanie !