The Helen Wills Thread - Page 2 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jun 27th, 2006, 12:29 AM   #16
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute

1931 press file

Article link (also posted in the 30s thread)
http://www.contracostatimes.com/mld/...s/14692961.htm

Charlie Chaplin described her movements on the tennis court "as the most beautiful sight" he had ever seen.
Rollo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jun 27th, 2006, 02:24 AM   #17
country flag trivfun

trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo
Trivfun- have you read The Goddess and the American Girl- by Larry Engelmann? -it can often be had cheaply on Ebay and was a great book.

Helen was married twice and connected with a number of men. She usually met personal press questions with a "no comment" type attitude. It doesn't sound like someone who was asexual to me. If she had been that cold she hardly would have posed as a model for Diego Rivera's mural (see the 30s thread).

Engelmann's book throws out the theory that Helen was what you call "homophobic"-a possible reason for her "feud" with "Little Helen". Surely though most people at that time were-witness Don Budge and his disgust when Bill Tilden took him to a Berlin Caberet with all it's "oogly-googly boys".

Another theory runs that Wills disliked Jacobs middle-class background. As Ted Tinling put it, Wills father was a doctor, while Jacobs father was "in trade".

IMO it all boils down to a natural antipathy towards the next in line. Wills scanned the horizon and saw only one other American who refused to accept second place-and that woman was Jacobs.

The "why" may always remain a mystery. Helen's husband Freddy admitted she couldn't stand Jacobs, but he couldn't say exactly why.

Again, in the end Helen somehow managed to be a very private public figure.
It's that Mona Lisa type quality that intrigues me.

I love Mona Lisa but I don't think she is but whom am I to judge. I do wonder by looking at the pictures if she was hiding her ancestry of sorts like Ted Williams. I know her mom is from Iowa and her father is a "California" but no details.
trivfun is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27th, 2006, 04:14 AM   #18
country flag trivfun

trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of
Don Budge got along with Gottfried Van Cram.
Old Jul 5th, 2006, 03:52 AM   #19
country flag trivfun

Was Helen Wills rumored to be gay?
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 03:52 PM   #20
country flag alfajeffster

alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by trivfun
Was Helen Wills rumored to be gay?
Are you gay?
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 04:20 PM   #21
country flag trivfun

asexual, maybe when it comes to relationships of attraction/relationship. I do relate better to men in emotional terms. I do like the female anatomy for a plumpy toned females with mid-size boobs and ass (usuall about 5'4 -5'8). Margaret Osbourne Dupont, Wendy Turnbull, Darlene Hard, Zina Garrison, and Chris Evert in 1977-1979. I just go nuts and wet my pants. However, I hyperventilate when I try to talk to them.

Helen Wills never gave me the impression that she was gay or straight. I thought she was like Michael Jackson when reporters questioned his sexuality next thing you know, he is in a relationship with somebody and it didn't really last long. That was the impression that I got of Helen.
Old Oct 3rd, 2012, 07:36 AM   #22
country flag RSimcox

RSimcox is just really nice RSimcox is just really nice RSimcox is just really nice RSimcox is just really nice RSimcox is just really nice RSimcox is just really nice RSimcox is just really nice RSimcox is just really nice RSimcox is just really nice RSimcox is just really nice RSimcox is just really nice
Re: The Helen Wills Thread

Has anyone compiled or published the total number of titles Helen Wills won in her career?
RSimcox is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3rd, 2012, 01:09 PM   #23
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Has anyone compiled or published the total number of titles Helen Wills won in her career?
Not to my knowledge. I would like to tackle her career next year after finishing off Lenglen's career stats in the next month or so.

If there is a complete list of her titles it is probably at the Fischer Library in New York. It is certainly on my list of places to visit the next time I am there!

As a rule Helen played few events to peak for the majors. She si very similar to Serena in that regard.
Old Jan 10th, 2014, 08:14 PM   #24
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Bumping this up for Charles
Old Jan 11th, 2014, 01:27 AM   #25
country flag thrust

thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
Anyway I had to share this-I recently bought Helen's autograph on Ebay. It was very distinctive, as Helen often drew little pictures of herselfwith the famous visor.

At any rate when got the autograph on Friday I showed it to my tennis buddy. We noticed writing on the back and flipped the sheet over. It looked like "John ??? Ford' to me, but it turned out to be JOAN CRAWFORD. That's right-the original "Mommy Dearest" herself! The person who sold it to me must have missed that!
Two great autographs at once!I think Wills was basically a snob, and resented Jacobs popularity, even though she was the greater player. I believe Jacobs served in the military during WWII.
thrust is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2014, 01:22 AM   #26
country flag Charles Friesen

Charles Friesen is just really nice Charles Friesen is just really nice Charles Friesen is just really nice Charles Friesen is just really nice Charles Friesen is just really nice Charles Friesen is just really nice Charles Friesen is just really nice Charles Friesen is just really nice Charles Friesen is just really nice Charles Friesen is just really nice Charles Friesen is just really nice

Decided I wanted to find out more about Wills tournament and match wins, so I started going through the Yearly Results section of TF.
I will include in the up-coming posts all record of doubles wins in the Yearly Results, but I concentrated mostly on the singles wins in my summaries.
It seems like she didn't play a lot in some years, but there are doubles matches and Wightman Cup and other inter-country matches as well. Most likely the record keeping is incomplete.

I compiled the following:

Singles Matches (win - lose)
307-30 matches TennisForum has recorded in Yearly Results section
380-30 matches we can fairly guess at taking into account missing rounds
398-35 according to Bud Collins - this is the usually quoted career stat

Tournaments
56.5 wins in 86 singles tournaments in TF Yearly Results
the 0.5 comes from 1933 London (Queen's) Chps in which the prize was split with Elsie Pittman due to weather.

Match wins by year:
[year: wins - losses (# inferred wins)]
[inferred wins are wins it seems reasonable to guess at and are included in the 'wins' total for that year, e.g. a 'runner-up' probably implies 3-1 record for that tournament]
1919: 2 - 1 (2)
1920: 2 - 2 (2)
1921: 14 - 5 (11)
1922: 27 - 9 (17)
1923: 25 - 2 (3)
1924: 21 - 3 (0)
1925: 38 - 1 (11)
1926: 51 - 3 (6)
1927: 31 - 0 (2)
1928: 29 - 0 (5)
1929: 23 - 0 (0)
1930: 20 - 0 (6)
1931: 19 - 0 (0)
1932: 21 - 0 (4)
1933: 15 - 1 (4) ends 158 match win streak
1934: 0 - 0 (0)
1935: 14 - 1 (0)
1936: 0 - 0 (0)
1937: 0 - 0 (0)
1938: 28 - 2 (0)
The doubles record ends in 1940 and the singles in 1938.

Singles tournament wins by year: (tournaments that had defaults, that would now be called walkovers, in the first match played were not counted)
[year: wins - total played]
1919: 0 - 1
1920: 0 - 2
1921: 1 - 6
1922: 1 - 10
1923: 4 - 6
1924: 3 - 4
1925: 7 - 8
1926: 8 - 12 (withdrawal after winning first match)
1927: 6 - 6
1928: 5 - 5
1929: 3 - 3
1930: 4 - 4
1931: 3 - 3
1932: 4 - 4
1933: 1.5 - 3
1934: 0 - 0
1935: 2 - 3
1936: 0 - 0
1937: 0 - 0
1938: 4 - 6

More to come, including Helen Wills year by year results.

Last edited by Charles Friesen : Jan 17th, 2014 at 01:14 AM.
Charles Friesen is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2014, 11:01 PM   #27

Charles Friesen is just really nice Charles Friesen is just really nice Charles Friesen is just really nice Charles Friesen is just really nice Charles Friesen is just really nice Charles Friesen is just really nice Charles Friesen is just really nice Charles Friesen is just really nice Charles Friesen is just really nice Charles Friesen is just really nice Charles Friesen is just really nice

Helen Wills 1919
Singles record 2-1 (2 inferred)
Tournament victories 0

Early October*Bay Counties Championships, San Francisco, California, USA (Hard)
3R: Anita Myers d. Helen Wills* 6-3 6-1
* Helen Wills was barely 14 years old at this point in time. (Birthday 6 Oct 1905)

As a young unknown, Wills could have played 1R and 2R before this, even though 1R byes were very common.
Infer 2 wins plus the known match for record of 2-1 (2) in singles

Last edited by Charles Friesen : Jan 17th, 2014 at 03:49 AM.
Old Jan 16th, 2014, 11:08 PM   #28

Helen Wills 1920 (age 14 most of the year)
Singles record 2-2 (2 inferred)
Tournament victories 0 (of 2 played)

Circa mid-June,*Pacific Coast Championships, Berkeley, California, USA (Hard)
QF: Helen Baker d. Helen Wills 6-1 6-4
Doubles
QF: Helen Wills / F. Wilson d. R. Fjerem / Johanna Gunzberger 10-8 1-6 6-4
SF: Baker / Leachman d. Wills / Wilson 6-4 6-4
* The 14-year-old Helen Wills won the girls' singles title at the 1920 Pacific Coast Championships.

Infer at least one win before the QF.
Record 1-1

September 4-12,*California State Championships, Berkely, California (Hard)
QF: Mrs. E. G. Clute d. Helen Wills Moody 8-6 6-4
Doubles
2R: Mrs. M. Wale Kress / Thorne d. Helen Wills Moody / Wilson 6-1 6-2

Infer at least one win before the QF.
Record 1-1

Last edited by Charles Friesen : Jan 17th, 2014 at 03:49 AM.
Old Jan 16th, 2014, 11:24 PM   #29

Helen Wills 1921 (age 15 most of the year)
Singles record: 14-5 (11 inferred)
Tournament victories 1 (of 6 played)

Context
Wallis Myers produced his first womens rankings for the 1921 season. Wills was not in the top 10, but has come to the tennis public attention in the US.
1 Suzanne Lenglen France
2 Mola Mallory US
3 Mary Browne US
4 Elizabeth Ryan US
5 Kitty McKane England
6 May Sutton Bundy US
7 Irene Peacock South Africa.
8 Geraldine Beamish England
9 Eleanor Goss US
10 Marion Zinderstein Jessup US

Tournaments

Circa early May,*San Francisco Championships, San Francisco, California, USA (Hard)
SF: Eleanor Goss d. Helen Wills 6-2 6-3
DF: Helen Baker/Helen Wills d. Eleanor Goss/Eleanor Tennant 6-3 6-4

Infer 2 wins before SF.
Record 2-1

May 28-30,*Central California Championships,*Sacramento, California, USA (Hard)
SF: Helen Baker d. Helen Wills 6-3 7-5
DF: Helen Baker/Helen Wills d. Mrs H. Allen/Marjorie Thorne 6-3 6-3

Infer 2 wins before SF.
Record 2-1

Circa June 13-18,*Pacific Coast Chamapionships, Berkeley, California, USA (Hard)
FI: Helen Baker d. Helen Wills 7-5 6-1
DF: Helen Baker/Helen Wills d. Anna McCune/Lucy McCune 8-6 6-4

Infer 3 wins before FI.
Record 3-1

July 25-31,*Women's New York State Championships, Bay Ridge, New York, USA (Grass)
2R: Mrs R. LeRoy d. Helen Wills default

It is likely that Wills did not play this tournament at all and that the match would be called w/o now. I have not included this match and tournament in the counts of wins, losses, or tournaments.

August 1-7,*Women's Metropolitan Grass Court Championships, Long Island, New York, USA (Grass)
QF: Marion Jessup d. Helen Wills 6-3 6-4
DF: May Bundy/Helen Wills d. Martha Bayard/Helen Gilleaudeau ????
Wills' partner is former USO/Wimbledon champ May Sutton Bundy who is 19 years her senior.

Infer 1 win before QF.
Record 1-1

August 8-14,*Seabright Invitational, Seabright, New Jersey, USA (Grass)
1R Helen Wills d. Mrs Young 6-1 6-1
2R Wills d. Ceres Baker 6-2 6-1
QF: Goss d. Wills 6-2 4-6 6-2

Record 2-1

USChps
Doubles
1R: El . Sears/Wills d. Bailey/Sexton 6-0 6-1*
2R: Bancroft/M.Bayard d. El. Sears/Wills 6-1 9-11 6-2
Wills partner, Eleonora Sears was 39 (b. 28 Sep 1881), 24 years her senior, more than doubles Wills age of 15.

September 4-11,*California State Championships, Berkeley, California, USA (Hard)
FI: Helen Wills d. Helen Baker 3-6 9-7 6-0
DF: Helen Baker/Helen Wills d. Anna McCune/Lucy McCune 8-6 6-8 7-5

Infer 3 wins before FI.
Record 4-0

Last edited by Charles Friesen : Jan 17th, 2014 at 03:47 AM.
Old Jan 16th, 2014, 11:41 PM   #30

Helen Wills 1922 (age 16 most of the year)
Singles record: 27-9 (17 inferred)
Tournament victories 1 (of 10 played)

Context
Summary by Andrew Tas
Wimbledon was on the move and the Challenge Round abolished. But Lenglen continued her dominance and won her 4th Wimbledon. From six matches she lost 20 games and had to defeat McKane, Ryan and Mallory. She also won the womens and mixed doubles. Also Lenglen won the Hard Court Championships (d. Ryan) and the French Closed. Helen Wills was also a star of the year and at the age of 16 reached the final of the US Championships losing to Mallory 63 61. Also at the end of the year the first womens Australian Championships was played with Mall Molesworth winning out of a field of 15.

World rankings by Wallis Myers-London Daily Telegraph
1 Suzanne Lenglen France
2 Molla Mallory US
3 Helen Wills US
4 Kitty McKane England
5 Geraldine Beamish England
6 Irene Peacock South Africa
7 Elizabeth Ryan US
8 Marion Zinderstein Jessup US
9 May Sutton Bundy US
10 Margaret Molesworth Australia

Tournaments

Circa May 9-13,*Pacific Coast Championships, Berkeley, California, USA (Hard)
FI: Helen Wills d. Rea Leachman 6-1 6-0

Infer 3 wins before FI
Record 4-0

July 10-15,*Rhode Island State Championships, Providence, Rhode Island, USA
SF: Helen Wills d. Mrs F Godfrey 4-6 6-2 6-2
FI: Leslie Bancroft d. Helen Wills 4-6 6-4 6-3

Infer 2 wins before SF
Record 3-1

July 17-19,*Newport Invitational, Newport, Rhode Island, USA (Grass)
SF: Helen Wills d. Maud Barger-Walach 6-2 6-2
FI: Leslie Bancroft d. Helen Wills 6-4 6-3

Infer 2 wins before SF
Record 3-1

July 24-29,*New York State Championships, Harrison, New York, USA
2R: Martha Bayard d. Helen Wills 6-3 4-6 10-8

Infer 1 win before 2R
Record 1-1

July 31-August 5,*Seabright Invitational, Seabright, New Jersey, USA (Grass)
SF: Leslie Bancroft d. Helen Wills 6-3 6-3
DF: Marion Jessup/Helen Wills d. Molla Mallory/Phyllis Walsh 11-9 6-2

Infer 2 wins before SF
Record 2-1

August 7-13,*Womens' Metropolitan Championships, Glen Cove, Long Island, New York, USA (Grass)
QF: Molla Mallory d. Helen Wills 3-6 6-0 6-2
DF: Marion Jessup/Helen Wills d. May Bundy/Mrs W Henry 6-2 6-0

Infer 1 win before QF.
Record 1-1

US Chps
Helen Wills [3] d. Helen Collingwood 6-0 6-2
Wills [3] d. Lynch 6-0 6-1
Wills [3] d. Bickle 6-2 6-1
Wills [3] d. Jessup [6] 2-6 6-4 6-2
Wills [3] d. Bundy[2] 6-4 6-3
Mallory [1] d. Wills [3] 6-3 6-1

Doubles
Jessup/Wills d. Mumford/Trumbull 6-1 6-1
Jessup/Wills d. Davis/Sheddon 6-4 6-0
Jessup/Wills d. Chapman/Chapman 6-4 6-0
Jessup/Wills d. Bundy/Hooker 6-3 6-3
Jessup/Wills d. Mallory/Sigourney 6-4 7-9 6-3

A young sensation has arisen from the West to challenge Molla. Helen Wills wears her schoolgirl uniform to the court, but she is more apt to play the role of teacher than student. Even at 16 she posseses a better serve and net play than all entries. Only Molla is her superior off the ground. Helen whipped through the draw until she met Jessup in the quarters. Marion's serve and volleys won her a set before Wills barely pulled out the second. Helen's power took the third easily. Against 35 yr. old May Bundy in the semis Helen resorted to drop shots with telling effect, "though she was rather prone to overwork it." Helen tried off-pace tactics in the final. The change of pace didn't faze Molla a bit, as the Norse star ran Wills off the court in a 6-3 6-1 final witnessed by only 2,500. The lack of foreign entries kept many a fan away.

Record 5-1

August 21-29,*Brookline Women's Invitational, Boston, Massachussetts, US (Grass)
SF: Helen Wills d. May Bundy 7-5 6-2
FI: Molla Mallory d. Helen Wills 3-6 6-3 7-5

Infer 2 wins before SF.
Record 3-1

August 31-September 3,*Rockaway Hunting Club, Cedarhurst, Long Island, New York, USA
SF: Helen Wills d. Clare Cassel 6-0 6-0
FI: Molla Mallory d. Helen Wills 3-6 6-1 6-3
DF: Leslie Bancroft/Helen Wills d. Molla Mallory/Phyllis Walsh 6-1 7-5

Infer 2 wins before SF.
Record 3-1

September 11-16,*Women's Middle States Championships, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA (Grass)
SF: Marion Jessup d. Helen Wills 9-7 6-3

Infer 2 wins before SF
Record 2-1

Last edited by Charles Friesen : Jan 17th, 2014 at 03:48 AM.