Jeanne Matthey - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old May 29th, 2013, 04:10 PM   #1
country flag LKK

LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice
Jeanne Matthey

Many presume that her life wasn't different than the lives of any other forgotten tennis players from the early 1900s - that she was born in uncertain year and that she died some time after, meanwhile winning the French Championships 4 times (in Bordeaux: 1909/ in Paris: 1910/11/12) and also defeating the greatest player of that era, young Suzanne Lenglen as many times as noone else in the world (and still only twice).

When she appeared at the Roland Garros in 1972 she was very lively despite her age of 86. She joked that she consisted of many pieces because of her war wounds…

During the WWI she served as a nurse on the front and was seriously wounded there, which in result forced her to give up playing tennis... She was a member of the French Resistance during the WWII. On 15 August 1944, in Paris, she started the most horrible journey of her life - she was sent to the concentration camp in Ravensbrück in Germany where she was tortured and sustained several wounds, but survived...

A heroine of two wars, a member of many war veterans organizations, bearer of 38 different medals and of this one most important in France – the National Order of the Legion of Honour, Marie-Jeanne Matthey-Jonais was born on January 25th, 1886 in Alexandria in Egypt, but her life led her to Paris...
LKK is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 29th, 2013, 04:44 PM   #2
country flag Sumarokov-Elston

Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all
Re: Jeanne Matthey

Fascinating information! And I am sure that having handled the Divine One and inflicting two (!) defeats on her, dealing with the Nazis must have been a piece of cake...
Sumarokov-Elston is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2013, 06:36 PM   #3
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute

She sounds exotic. Can't wait for more LKK!
Rollo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2013, 09:21 AM   #4
country flag Hugues Daniel
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute

How do we get to know all of that? Certainly not from Google.

Anyone noticed it's always surprising, interesting, fascinating to learn about many old time players lives?

Reminds me of Toupie Lowther who was on the front too in WW1, driving an ambulance or something.
Hugues Daniel is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:32 PM   #5
country flag LKK

LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice

At the bottom of this page linked below there is some additional info on Jeanne, her sister - Cecile (who was a tennis player, too) and their family of Swiss-French origin:

http://dearauthor.com/book-reviews/o...lizabeth-wein/
LKK is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:49 PM   #6
country flag djoule

djoule is a glorious beacon of light djoule is a glorious beacon of light djoule is a glorious beacon of light djoule is a glorious beacon of light djoule is a glorious beacon of light djoule is a glorious beacon of light djoule is a glorious beacon of light djoule is a glorious beacon of light djoule is a glorious beacon of light djoule is a glorious beacon of light djoule is a glorious beacon of light

Very interesting thread about Jeanne Matthey and her heroic life
2 pics of her

Mme GALLAY, Melle DE KERMEL, Jeanne and Cécile MATTHEY.
djoule is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:39 AM   #7
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute

An action shot of Jeanne

Old Today, 05:41 AM   #8
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Quote:
At the bottom of this page linked below there is some additional info on Jeanne, her sister - Cecile (who was a tennis player, too) and their family of Swiss-French origin:

http://dearauthor.com/book-reviews/o...lizabeth-wein/
Is there any way for us to contact this person? I would love to invite him or her to visit us in this thread!
Old Today, 05:45 AM   #9
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

A photo from 1968 believed to be of Jeanne.

https://www.magnumphotos.com/image/PAR104648.html

Last edited by Rollo : Today at 06:12 AM.
Old Today, 05:49 AM   #10
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

The Holocaust Museum has a record of her at Ravensbruck.

http://www.ushmm.org/online/archival.../RG19044M.html

G44/C.P.-229.11 MATTHEY-JONAIS, Jeanne, Mrs., 26 Mar. 1945 - 22 June 1945.

------------------------------------------------

This French site also suggests she was sent to other camps after Ravensbruck-including Buchenwald if i am reading it right.

http://www.bddm.org/liv/details.php?id=I.264.

MATTHEY-JONAISMarie-JeanneF25/01/1886Alexandrie (EGY)FTor,Abt,MkbR??/05/1945Prague

Last edited by Rollo : Today at 05:59 AM.