Any thoughts on Safina's upcoming grasscourt season? - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jun 19th, 2006, 11:28 PM   #1
country flag Lenafan

Lenafan has much to be proud of Lenafan has much to be proud of Lenafan has much to be proud of Lenafan has much to be proud of Lenafan has much to be proud of Lenafan has much to be proud of Lenafan has much to be proud of Lenafan has much to be proud of Lenafan has much to be proud of Lenafan has much to be proud of Lenafan has much to be proud of
Any thoughts on Safina's upcoming grasscourt season?

Seeing Peer's result today made me wonder about another person who was red hot during the clay season in Safina. She had one impressive win after another after another before she fell apart in the 1st set against Kuznetsova.

She's an obvious talent, but was curious how people think her game will do on the grass. Personally I think like Peer she won't do as well? Thoughts?
Lenafan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jun 19th, 2006, 11:52 PM   #2
country flag Babolatpro880
Team WTAworld

Babolatpro880 has a reputation beyond repute Babolatpro880 has a reputation beyond repute Babolatpro880 has a reputation beyond repute Babolatpro880 has a reputation beyond repute Babolatpro880 has a reputation beyond repute Babolatpro880 has a reputation beyond repute Babolatpro880 has a reputation beyond repute Babolatpro880 has a reputation beyond repute Babolatpro880 has a reputation beyond repute Babolatpro880 has a reputation beyond repute Babolatpro880 has a reputation beyond repute
I for some reason agree with you, that maybe she won't do as well on grass. I have no evidence to back it up, it's just a feeling that she won't be as effective.
Babolatpro880 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2006, 12:04 AM   #3
country flag hingisGOAT

hingisGOAT has a reputation beyond repute hingisGOAT has a reputation beyond repute hingisGOAT has a reputation beyond repute hingisGOAT has a reputation beyond repute hingisGOAT has a reputation beyond repute hingisGOAT has a reputation beyond repute hingisGOAT has a reputation beyond repute hingisGOAT has a reputation beyond repute hingisGOAT has a reputation beyond repute hingisGOAT has a reputation beyond repute hingisGOAT has a reputation beyond repute
grass is made for one-dimensional ball bashers, i imagine safina would feel right at home
hingisGOAT is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2006, 12:13 AM   #4
country flag crazyroberto6767
Registered 1

crazyroberto6767 has a reputation beyond repute crazyroberto6767 has a reputation beyond repute crazyroberto6767 has a reputation beyond repute crazyroberto6767 has a reputation beyond repute crazyroberto6767 has a reputation beyond repute crazyroberto6767 has a reputation beyond repute crazyroberto6767 has a reputation beyond repute crazyroberto6767 has a reputation beyond repute crazyroberto6767 has a reputation beyond repute crazyroberto6767 has a reputation beyond repute crazyroberto6767 has a reputation beyond repute
Not that it means a whole lot, but Dinara got to the finals of junior Wimby I'm pretty sure. She won a couple matches @ Wimbledon last year, before going down to Linds tamely. I don't think she'll be as good on grass as she is on clay or hard, but she won't be ineffective.

Lindsay*ElenaD*Milagros*Mary*Svetlana*Nuria*
Mashona*Dinara*Laura*Chrissie*VeraD*JelenaD*Lucie*

Ana*Sania*Shuai*Katarina*Nadia*Chanda*Ai*
crazyroberto6767 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2006, 12:18 AM   #5
country flag Gowza

Gowza has much to be proud of Gowza has much to be proud of Gowza has much to be proud of Gowza has much to be proud of Gowza has much to be proud of Gowza has much to be proud of Gowza has much to be proud of Gowza has much to be proud of Gowza has much to be proud of Gowza has much to be proud of Gowza has much to be proud of
can't remember any of dinara's grass results, didn't she have a crack in her backbone during one wimbledon but still decided to play and lost love and love in the first match? would of been a couple of years ago. i think clay is dinara's best surface so she might not do quite as well on grass but it does suit her game with the big serve and big groundies, the points are shorter as well which i would think suits dinara.

also good luck to: azarenka, lucic, sprem, vakulenko, vaidisova, safarova, ivanovic, groenefeld, mirza, krajicek, kvitkova, larcher de brito, lisicki.
Gowza is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2006, 12:26 AM   #6
country flag RenaSlam.

RenaSlam. has a reputation beyond repute RenaSlam. has a reputation beyond repute RenaSlam. has a reputation beyond repute RenaSlam. has a reputation beyond repute RenaSlam. has a reputation beyond repute RenaSlam. has a reputation beyond repute RenaSlam. has a reputation beyond repute RenaSlam. has a reputation beyond repute RenaSlam. has a reputation beyond repute RenaSlam. has a reputation beyond repute RenaSlam. has a reputation beyond repute
She won't do well this grass season. She's not as athletic as some of the other girls that hit much harder ie Venus, and even Sharapova.
__W00.01.05.07.08__USO00.01__

Step.
RenaSlam. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2006, 12:31 AM   #7
country flag iPatty

iPatty has a reputation beyond repute iPatty has a reputation beyond repute iPatty has a reputation beyond repute iPatty has a reputation beyond repute iPatty has a reputation beyond repute iPatty has a reputation beyond repute iPatty has a reputation beyond repute iPatty has a reputation beyond repute iPatty has a reputation beyond repute iPatty has a reputation beyond repute iPatty has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by heylookimgay
grass is made for one-dimensional ball bashers, i imagine safina would feel right at home
Right. Because clay is obviously meant for mindless ball bashers as well, right? That's why Dinara did so well on clay.

Old Jun 20th, 2006, 12:44 AM   #8
UDACHi

UDACHi has a reputation beyond repute UDACHi has a reputation beyond repute UDACHi has a reputation beyond repute UDACHi has a reputation beyond repute UDACHi has a reputation beyond repute UDACHi has a reputation beyond repute UDACHi has a reputation beyond repute UDACHi has a reputation beyond repute UDACHi has a reputation beyond repute UDACHi has a reputation beyond repute UDACHi has a reputation beyond repute
Dinara's not very good on grass.
Old Jun 20th, 2006, 12:46 AM   #9
country flag MH0861

MH0861 has a reputation beyond repute MH0861 has a reputation beyond repute MH0861 has a reputation beyond repute MH0861 has a reputation beyond repute MH0861 has a reputation beyond repute MH0861 has a reputation beyond repute MH0861 has a reputation beyond repute MH0861 has a reputation beyond repute MH0861 has a reputation beyond repute MH0861 has a reputation beyond repute MH0861 has a reputation beyond repute
She's an incredibly streaky player, so who knows.. I'd think her results will taper off a bit during the grass and get back on track during the hard court season.
MH0861 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2006, 01:17 AM   #10
country flag switz

switz has a reputation beyond repute switz has a reputation beyond repute switz has a reputation beyond repute switz has a reputation beyond repute switz has a reputation beyond repute switz has a reputation beyond repute switz has a reputation beyond repute switz has a reputation beyond repute switz has a reputation beyond repute switz has a reputation beyond repute switz has a reputation beyond repute
Like Marat Dinara could have a good day on grass and push the best but she has pretty extreme grips on both sides, ordinary volleys, doesn't tend to have a middle level in her game.

She'll still probably beat most players ranked below her but i don't she her getting very far.

I think Peer isn't that bad on grass though - just a bad result against Dechy (who's game is suited to grass).
switz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2006, 01:32 AM   #11
country flag sfselesfan

sfselesfan has a reputation beyond repute sfselesfan has a reputation beyond repute sfselesfan has a reputation beyond repute sfselesfan has a reputation beyond repute sfselesfan has a reputation beyond repute sfselesfan has a reputation beyond repute sfselesfan has a reputation beyond repute sfselesfan has a reputation beyond repute sfselesfan has a reputation beyond repute sfselesfan has a reputation beyond repute sfselesfan has a reputation beyond repute
Dinara has a Davenport-like game: (1) hits hard and flat, (2) tall and thick build, (3) not the fastest mover, (4) loves balls that sit up, (5) consistent/hard serve.

Dinara needs to mature as a player in order to really play well on grass...like Lindsay did. She needs to get used to the bounce, learn how to move on the surface, and improve her net play.

Basically, I don't think she's got a natural grass-court game...but she'll get more and more dangerous on the surface as time passes. She could go the Davenport way...or end up with mediocre results similar to Pierce (another player she reminds me of).

SF
sfselesfan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2006, 01:33 AM   #12
country flag hingisGOAT

hingisGOAT has a reputation beyond repute hingisGOAT has a reputation beyond repute hingisGOAT has a reputation beyond repute hingisGOAT has a reputation beyond repute hingisGOAT has a reputation beyond repute hingisGOAT has a reputation beyond repute hingisGOAT has a reputation beyond repute hingisGOAT has a reputation beyond repute hingisGOAT has a reputation beyond repute hingisGOAT has a reputation beyond repute hingisGOAT has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~PPP~
Right. Because clay is obviously meant for mindless ball bashers as well, right? That's why Dinara did so well on clay.

well in a sharapova/safina 4th round encounter, one of them has to win i guess. notice, however, when she played kuznetsova, a player with some real clay skills, she only won 3 points in a set. in a slam quarterfinal!!

is that some type of record? the least competitive set ever played in a slam quarterfinal?
hingisGOAT is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2006, 01:34 AM   #13
country flag GracefulVenus
Team WTAworld

GracefulVenus has a reputation beyond repute GracefulVenus has a reputation beyond repute GracefulVenus has a reputation beyond repute GracefulVenus has a reputation beyond repute GracefulVenus has a reputation beyond repute GracefulVenus has a reputation beyond repute GracefulVenus has a reputation beyond repute GracefulVenus has a reputation beyond repute GracefulVenus has a reputation beyond repute GracefulVenus has a reputation beyond repute GracefulVenus has a reputation beyond repute
I think she will be a contender...........into the quarters at least!

GV - Back From The Dead.........
Venus better have her hair fixed for the AO I'm just tired of it.
GracefulVenus is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2006, 01:36 AM   #14
country flag sfselesfan

sfselesfan has a reputation beyond repute sfselesfan has a reputation beyond repute sfselesfan has a reputation beyond repute sfselesfan has a reputation beyond repute sfselesfan has a reputation beyond repute sfselesfan has a reputation beyond repute sfselesfan has a reputation beyond repute sfselesfan has a reputation beyond repute sfselesfan has a reputation beyond repute sfselesfan has a reputation beyond repute sfselesfan has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
I think that's a very one-dimensional way to look at grass-court tennis. If this was the case, Seles would have certainly ruled Wimbledon over players like Graf, Navratilova, Hingis and Novotna?

SF
sfselesfan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2006, 01:36 AM   #15
UDACHi

UDACHi has a reputation beyond repute UDACHi has a reputation beyond repute UDACHi has a reputation beyond repute UDACHi has a reputation beyond repute UDACHi has a reputation beyond repute UDACHi has a reputation beyond repute UDACHi has a reputation beyond repute UDACHi has a reputation beyond repute UDACHi has a reputation beyond repute UDACHi has a reputation beyond repute UDACHi has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
well in a sharapova/safina 4th round encounter, one of them has to win i guess. notice, however, when she played kuznetsova, a player with some real clay skills, she only won 3 points in a set. in a slam quarterfinal!!

is that some type of record? the least competitive set ever played in a slam quarterfinal?
She also has wins over Clijsters, Dementieva, Kuznetsova on clay and assorted wins against big names on other surfaces.