Bud Collins talked me down from the ledge ... - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jun 7th, 2006, 10:20 PM   #1
Volcana

Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute
Bud Collins talked me down from the ledge ...

"PARIS - After losing in the quarterfinals, Venus Williams would be wrong to think she let herself or any of her fans down with her showing at Roland Garros. " read entire article

Yada yada yada

But watching your favorite player make 70 UEs in a match can make you want to experiment with wingless flight. Vaidisova played well, but of the 110 points she won, 70 were Venus UEs. Losing I can live with, but this was gift-wrapping.

That said, here's hoping Vaidisova wins her first slam this weekend. She plays a solid game, and gets on with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jun 7th, 2006, 10:25 PM   #2
country flag darrinbaker00
Serena's #1 Hater

darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute
Please take that number 70 with several grains of salt, Volcana. At Roland Garros, ALL errors are counted as unforced.
"He who finds a wife finds a good thing, and obtains favor from the Lord." -- Proverbs 18:22

"Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard." -- Herb Brooks

"A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life." -- Muhammad Ali
darrinbaker00 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7th, 2006, 10:26 PM   #3
country flag Reuchlin
Registered 1

Reuchlin has a reputation beyond repute Reuchlin has a reputation beyond repute Reuchlin has a reputation beyond repute Reuchlin has a reputation beyond repute Reuchlin has a reputation beyond repute Reuchlin has a reputation beyond repute Reuchlin has a reputation beyond repute Reuchlin has a reputation beyond repute Reuchlin has a reputation beyond repute Reuchlin has a reputation beyond repute Reuchlin has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcana
"PARIS - After losing in the quarterfinals, Venus Williams would be wrong to think she let herself or any of her fans down with her showing at Roland Garros. " read entire article

Yada yada yada

But watching your favorite player make 70 UEs in a match can make you want to experiment with wingless flight. Vaidisova played well, but of the 110 points she won, 70 were Venus UEs. Losing I can live with, but this was gift-wrapping.

That said, here's hoping Vaidisova wins her first slam this weekend. She plays a solid game, and gets on with it.
The point of the game is to keep the ball in the box. Can't do this very BASIC part of tennis means you have no business playing RG--Maybe Venus should have entered her local club's RR.
Old Jun 7th, 2006, 10:30 PM   #4
Steffica Greles

Steffica Greles has a reputation beyond repute Steffica Greles has a reputation beyond repute Steffica Greles has a reputation beyond repute Steffica Greles has a reputation beyond repute Steffica Greles has a reputation beyond repute Steffica Greles has a reputation beyond repute Steffica Greles has a reputation beyond repute Steffica Greles has a reputation beyond repute Steffica Greles has a reputation beyond repute Steffica Greles has a reputation beyond repute Steffica Greles has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:

Yada yada yada

I agree. I saw that match and, to me, it was mainly Venus making errors. When she was on top of Vaidisova she was clearly the player with more weapons.

Having said all that, I think Nicole has the superior service action and, I suppose one could say, there is far more that can go wrong with Venus' game -- and, whatever that is, it frequently activates itself and results in 70 unforced errors.
Steffica Greles is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7th, 2006, 10:45 PM   #5
country flag junlee_vee

junlee_vee has a brilliant future junlee_vee has a brilliant future junlee_vee has a brilliant future junlee_vee has a brilliant future junlee_vee has a brilliant future junlee_vee has a brilliant future junlee_vee has a brilliant future junlee_vee has a brilliant future junlee_vee has a brilliant future junlee_vee has a brilliant future junlee_vee has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pagliacci
The point of the game is to keep the ball in the box. Can't do this very BASIC part of tennis means you have no business playing RG--Maybe Venus should have entered her local club's RR.
You've said this before...you're getting repetitive and dull.

junlee_vee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 02:26 AM   #6
Volcana

Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrinbaker00
Please take that number 70 with several grains of salt, Volcana. At Roland Garros, ALL errors are counted as unforced.
I saw that horror show. at least 90% of those errors were clearly unforced. Her volley was barely working at all. and her forehand .. ugh.
Quote:
And yet, oddly, entering Roland Garros worked for Venus last year, which is why she's reigning Wimbledon champ.
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 02:31 AM   #7
new-york
和平.

new-york has a reputation beyond repute new-york has a reputation beyond repute new-york has a reputation beyond repute new-york has a reputation beyond repute new-york has a reputation beyond repute new-york has a reputation beyond repute new-york has a reputation beyond repute new-york has a reputation beyond repute new-york has a reputation beyond repute new-york has a reputation beyond repute new-york has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Vaidisova played well, but of the 110 points she won, 70 were Venus UEs.
In all fairness, can't we reverse?
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 02:36 AM   #8
country flag Reuchlin
Registered 1

Reuchlin has a reputation beyond repute Reuchlin has a reputation beyond repute Reuchlin has a reputation beyond repute Reuchlin has a reputation beyond repute Reuchlin has a reputation beyond repute Reuchlin has a reputation beyond repute Reuchlin has a reputation beyond repute Reuchlin has a reputation beyond repute Reuchlin has a reputation beyond repute Reuchlin has a reputation beyond repute Reuchlin has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by junlee_vee
You've said this before...you're getting repetitive and dull.
almost as dull and repetative as the first post of this thread
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 02:50 AM   #9
country flag thrust

thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute
Very sensible and true article on Venus at the FO. Bud hasn^t entirely lost it all yet-LOL!!
thrust is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 03:19 AM   #10
country flag serenafann

serenafann has much to be proud of serenafann has much to be proud of serenafann has much to be proud of serenafann has much to be proud of serenafann has much to be proud of serenafann has much to be proud of serenafann has much to be proud of serenafann has much to be proud of serenafann has much to be proud of serenafann has much to be proud of serenafann has much to be proud of
Atleast He had Something posive to say,better than last years The Williams sisters are in decline bunk.
serenafann is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 03:22 AM   #11
country flag darrinbaker00
Serena's #1 Hater

darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
No, the point of the game is to win, which Venus has done more than 80 percent of the time.
"He who finds a wife finds a good thing, and obtains favor from the Lord." -- Proverbs 18:22

"Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard." -- Herb Brooks

"A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life." -- Muhammad Ali
darrinbaker00 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 12:13 PM   #12
Steffica Greles

Steffica Greles has a reputation beyond repute Steffica Greles has a reputation beyond repute Steffica Greles has a reputation beyond repute Steffica Greles has a reputation beyond repute Steffica Greles has a reputation beyond repute Steffica Greles has a reputation beyond repute Steffica Greles has a reputation beyond repute Steffica Greles has a reputation beyond repute Steffica Greles has a reputation beyond repute Steffica Greles has a reputation beyond repute Steffica Greles has a reputation beyond repute
One thing I've noticed is that this year people are starting to pat Venus on the back for just being out there and competing to a reasonably high level. A semi-final exit at the Italian Open and a quarter at the French is suddenly an achievement.

What does that tell you about Venus Williams?

People are slowly starting to accept that the Williams sisters will never reach the level they once did.
Steffica Greles is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 12:25 PM   #13
country flag V-MAC
blurring the lines between the real and the fake

V-MAC has a reputation beyond repute V-MAC has a reputation beyond repute V-MAC has a reputation beyond repute V-MAC has a reputation beyond repute V-MAC has a reputation beyond repute V-MAC has a reputation beyond repute V-MAC has a reputation beyond repute V-MAC has a reputation beyond repute V-MAC has a reputation beyond repute V-MAC has a reputation beyond repute V-MAC has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffica Greles
One thing I've noticed is that this year people are starting to pat Venus on the back for just being out there and competing to a reasonably high level. A semi-final exit at the Italian Open and a quarter at the French is suddenly an achievement.

People are slowly starting to accept that the Williams sisters will never reach the level they once did.
no I think its called just keeping things in perspective. I know in the past we might have been used and expect Venus to just explode back onto the tennis scene after coming back from injury lay-offs but she is older now She can't have the same energy and enthusiasm she had back then now. She has to work that bit harder and that is what she has been able to do with consistent showings in Rome and RG. I think it is much harder for Vee to pump herself up for tournaments these days than a few years ago, with the exception of Wimbledon where that is just her territory. I mean it is reasonable to expect that age is gonna diminish the hunger and desire some bit for tennis players, especially the ones who have achieved so much in their tennis careers already.
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 01:26 PM   #14
WF4EVER

WF4EVER has a brilliant future WF4EVER has a brilliant future WF4EVER has a brilliant future WF4EVER has a brilliant future WF4EVER has a brilliant future WF4EVER has a brilliant future WF4EVER has a brilliant future WF4EVER has a brilliant future WF4EVER has a brilliant future WF4EVER has a brilliant future WF4EVER has a brilliant future
This whole thread is repetitive and dull (no disrespect to you, Volcana) but the enigma that is Venus Williams is the same old story from ever since.

I don't know if her problem right now is match play and match toughness but it's always the errors that kill her. When I think of this huge opportunity Venus blew it just annoys the hell out of me. She had no business losing to Vaidisova.

It seems to me Venus is acting like she's Serena out there playing. The fist pumping, the hitting out when she's losing is so like Serena, who just hits harder when she's struggling. It has worked many times for Serena but it didn't work for Venus because that is not her style. She should have slowed herself down and constructed her points properly which is what she has donein the past to get back in match.

Venus is too old not to have learned her lesson by now and her time is too short for her to not play smart tennis.

It's 2008 and I'm shopping for a new fave. Hell no! And Venus is still playing?

I Love You, Roger and Venus, 5-time Wimbledon Champions!
WF4EVER is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 01:34 PM   #15
WF4EVER

WF4EVER has a brilliant future WF4EVER has a brilliant future WF4EVER has a brilliant future WF4EVER has a brilliant future WF4EVER has a brilliant future WF4EVER has a brilliant future WF4EVER has a brilliant future WF4EVER has a brilliant future WF4EVER has a brilliant future WF4EVER has a brilliant future WF4EVER has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffica Greles

That may be your interpretation but until she played Warsaw Venus had played only one competitive match this year. She lost in the first round of OZ, remember? And she had pulled out of one tournament after the other supposedly with an elbow injury.

So, her fans are happy to see her playing because no-one knew when or if she was coming back. Therefore to be back playing and playing consistently, IMO, (despite her collapse at RG) is a positive thing. SF at Rome and QF at RG look good on her resume considering she hasn't played since OZ.

The important thng is she's playing again and as long as she's playing she has the opportunity to produce consistent, if not flashy results. Thank God Rg is only once a year, hopefully, she'll do better come Wimby and the HC season.

It's 2008 and I'm shopping for a new fave. Hell no! And Venus is still playing?

I Love You, Roger and Venus, 5-time Wimbledon Champions!
WF4EVER is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote